http://gamingtrend.com
October 20, 2014, 01:18:32 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Would you Buy the Wii for $229?  (Read 5607 times)
EddieA
Gaming Trend Senior Member

View Profile
« Reply #80 on: August 17, 2006, 12:15:18 AM »

AFAIK, there isn't anything confirmed about the retro games, but rumors suggest $5 for NES games up to $10 for N64 games.  There's also a rumor that some retro games will be "bundled" with new games, such as one or more Metroids coming free with MP3 or older Zeldas with Twilight Princess.

"Why did the chicken cross the Mobius strip?  To get to the same side."  - The Big Bang Theory
JCC

View Profile
« Reply #81 on: August 17, 2006, 12:15:56 AM »

I think those tight lipped bastards at Nintendo have promised to reveal all in September. A lot of people are hoping some info may come later this month at whatever that German game expo is (august 23rd I think).

-John

XBox Live ID: "JCC Davros"
Destructor
Special Project Group

▲▲▼▼◄►◄►B A Start

View Profile WWW
« Reply #82 on: August 17, 2006, 03:40:09 AM »

Quote from: EddieA on August 17, 2006, 12:15:18 AM

AFAIK, there isn't anything confirmed about the retro games, but rumors suggest $5 for NES games up to $10 for N64 games.  There's also a rumor that some retro games will be "bundled" with new games, such as one or more Metroids coming free with MP3 or older Zeldas with Twilight Princess.

And in a blurb located on the front page (which they don't quote):

Additionally, Harrison teased about Virtual Console, which may also host all-new Nintendo games, instead of just nostalgic classics. "Remember, there are other secrets of the virtual console that we won't reveal until we get closer to launch," he said. "Virtual console offers the possibility for us to create new games, but our focus right now is in getting the Wii hardware launched and new games from Nintendo on the virtual console will be coming sometime after the launch."

Well, there are some games that were nearly completed and that Nintendo never released for whatever reason over the years, so maybe there's a chance that they'll appear on the Wii.

"All opinions posted are my own, and not those of my employers, who are appalled."
corruptrelic

View Profile
« Reply #83 on: August 17, 2006, 09:54:00 AM »

The latest rumours (check shacknews.com) are saying less than $200 for launch now. $170 for the Japanese launch.

At $199 or less, I'd definitely consider it. I'm not a big nintendo fan and I don't care about Mario (I'm not 8 years old anymore, thank you!   icon_wink) but a few of the games - like the sword fighting game, have caught my attention. If they add online play (no reason why they shoudn't) then it'd push me even further.. especially when comparing a $179 or so price tag to the PS3's $499-$599 one.. Of course I want the PS3 most, but I just don't have over half a grand do spend on it, and if I did, I'd probably wind up getting a new computer instead.

"A gladiator does not fear death. He embraces it. Caresses it. Fucks it. Every time he enters the arena, he slides his cock into the mouth of the beast."
Dafones

View Profile
« Reply #84 on: August 17, 2006, 03:09:10 PM »

Quote from: corruptrelic on August 17, 2006, 09:54:00 AM

The latest rumours (check shacknews.com) are saying less than $200 for launch now. $170 for the Japanese launch.

At $199 or less, I'd definitely consider it. I'm not a big nintendo fan and I don't care about Mario (I'm not 8 years old anymore, thank you!   icon_wink) but a few of the games - like the sword fighting game, have caught my attention. If they add online play (no reason why they shoudn't) then it'd push me even further.. especially when comparing a $179 or so price tag to the PS3's $499-$599 one.. Of course I want the PS3 most, but I just don't have over half a grand do spend on it, and if I did, I'd probably wind up getting a new computer instead.

First of all, apparently Mario Galaxies was one of the most impressive games at E3 '06, and second of all, the Wii will have an online connection called something like 24Connect which I think - I think - is without charge. Or that's the connection when the system is in standby, and the Wii is connected to Nintendo Wi-Fi for free. Something like that.

Hey, I wanna play Mario Kart: Wiiiiiii!!!!! against 16 people right now.

Now Playing: GTA - San Andreas [PS2]
Yoshi's Island DS [DS]
denoginizer

View Profile
« Reply #85 on: August 17, 2006, 07:36:39 PM »

Quote from: Tebunker on August 08, 2006, 11:09:00 PM

Shoot, TG16 is a major reason I am buying the machine.

Seriously ???

Xbox Live Tag: denoginizer
PSN Name: denoginizer
Tebunker

Ask How, Ask Now, Ask me

View Profile
« Reply #86 on: August 17, 2006, 07:51:55 PM »

Quote from: denoginizer on August 17, 2006, 07:36:39 PM

Quote from: Tebunker on August 08, 2006, 11:09:00 PM

Shoot, TG16 is a major reason I am buying the machine.

Seriously ???

Hell yes, I like classic gaming, I loved owning and playing a TG 16 and I still use Magic Engine on the Pc. It had awesome games that were way ahead of its time. By your post I would think that bothers you, or at least you don't understand. Not everyone likes classic gaming and I am cool with that too. The TG16 is what pushed me over the edge, beats any of the other classic systems for Virtual Console..

Oh yeah, it also should be noted, that VC will include the Turbo Cd Games.
« Last Edit: August 17, 2006, 07:54:50 PM by Tebunker » Logged

"I hate cynicism -- it's my least favorite quality and it doesn't lead anywhere. Nobody in life gets exactly what they thought they were going to get. But if you work really hard and you're kind amazing things will happen." - Conan O'Brien
Kobra

View Profile
« Reply #87 on: August 22, 2006, 04:44:09 AM »

Confirmed by sources close to Nintendo marketing suits.

Wii will launch at $169.99..

Amazing...  I'll take one, and 10 games, thxu.

All truth goes through three stages: first it is ridiculed: then it is
violently opposed: finally it is accepted as self evident. - Schopenhauer
WinoMcCougarstein

View Profile WWW
« Reply #88 on: August 22, 2006, 04:56:30 AM »

Quote from: Kobra on August 22, 2006, 04:44:09 AM

If that is the price, that is freakin' awesome!  I will be getting one day one regardless of the price, but if it is that low, that means I can afford a few more games!

Dafones

View Profile
« Reply #89 on: August 22, 2006, 05:26:07 AM »

Quote from: Kobra on August 22, 2006, 04:44:09 AM

Okay, okay, I'll bite ... where's the link? The "source". The rumor.

And on a side note, I think the most difficult aspect of the Wii is trying to figure out which version of Twilight Princess to play. I'm so conflicted, so torn.

Yoshi's Island DS [DS]
Kobra

View Profile
« Reply #90 on: August 22, 2006, 05:34:03 AM »

The source is my buddy, who is a suit at EbGames, and if I told you his name, he'd be fired.  But he has been 100% reliable so far, so I will say I believe him..

$169.99 it is, if not, I will eat my shorts.

What do you mean "Different Versions" of Zelda?

warning

View Profile
« Reply #91 on: August 22, 2006, 11:34:33 AM »

Quote from: Kobra on August 22, 2006, 05:34:03 AM

The source is my buddy, who is a suit at EbGames, and if I told you his name, he'd be fired.  But he has been 100% reliable so far, so I will say I believe him..

What do you mean "Different Versions" of Zelda?

They're releasing a version for the Gamecube and one reconfigured for the Wii's remote.

And your friend might have heard that price from this: http://www.1up.com/do/newsStory?cId=3153015

I'll believe it when I see it.  I can't imagine them pricing it less than $200.
« Last Edit: August 22, 2006, 12:19:39 PM by warning » Logged
CrayolaSmoker

Sponge Bath Slut

View Profile WWW
« Reply #92 on: August 22, 2006, 01:03:00 PM »

I've been amped for the Wii for quite some time.  Anything that's designed around doing something different and/or fun in video gaming (Grand Theft Auto, Samba de Amigo, Guitar Hero, Shadow of the Colossus, Pikmin, etc.) gets my interest.  $170 is a no-brainer price for me.  $229... packaged with a game I want makes sense.  Without a bundle...  it'll have to be a game-time decision.  Under $200 I can spend another $200 on games, peripherals and tax and not feel too guilty about it.  When my initial outlay is over $200, extra games, controllers and sales tax really starts to add up.

Wii: 1429 3414 0674 4114 | 360: CrayolaSmokerGT
smokingcrayolas.net | surrogacy blog
corruptrelic

View Profile
« Reply #93 on: August 22, 2006, 01:19:34 PM »

I'm gonna hold you to that! Get yourself a Youtube account just in case.. icon_biggrin

All the latest rumours do point to the Wii launching under $200, which doesn't seem that inaccurate. It's not like it's that much more powerful than the Gamecube, has little ram, not much horse power, and as MS called it "almost a gamecube with a dvd player"
Hell, I just picked up an LED-Display progressive scan DVD player brand new at Brandsmart for $24.99 two days ago so I could stop putting unnecessary use on my 360 for dvds.
They had other models under $20. A dvd-drive for the PC would cost even less than that to manufacture, I'd imagine.

As some others said, most of us would probably go with the 360 or PS3 versions of multiplatform games. If it's anything like the last generation, the only console of the 3 that never had online play was the gamecube.
That of course might (and probably will) change for a lot of the games on the Wii, but until it launches and we know for sure, it's safe to say that the Wii is the first "real" launch of online gaming by Nintendo on one of their consoles.
Plus, there's no doubt in anyone's mind that multiplatform releases will look a whole lot better on the 360 than they would the Wii.

I'm still willing to give it a chance though.. never have been a big Nintendo fan (the "kiddie image" is burned into my brain - we need a GTA of some sort to get rid of that Nintendo reputation) but at $170, it just might  have me getting one a whole lot sooner than I would have, if ever.

"A gladiator does not fear death. He embraces it. Caresses it. Fucks it. Every time he enters the arena, he slides his cock into the mouth of the beast."
ATB

Thanks for everything, Ryan. 1979-2013

View Profile
« Reply #94 on: August 22, 2006, 01:30:41 PM »

I refuse to believe that it will launch for under 200.00.  That is just assinine. 200 or even 230 or even 250 is still significantly cheaper than any other console out there. Even if they make money at under 200, they would make more at over 200 and that's a price that almost everyone will still hoot and hollar about.

$169.99?! No way.  If it's 169.99 I think it'll be perceived as a second or third class machine. That price point just doesn't seem like a good idea from a business perspective or, ironically, a marketing perspective.
CeeKay
Gaming Trend Staff

La-bibbida-bibba-dum! La-bibbida-bibba-do!

View Profile
« Reply #95 on: August 22, 2006, 02:09:58 PM »

Quote from: ATB on August 22, 2006, 01:30:41 PM

I refuse to believe that it will launch for under 200.00.  That is just assinine. 200 or even 230 or even 250 is still significantly cheaper than any other console out there. Even if they make money at under 200, they would make more at over 200 and that's a price that almost everyone will still hoot and hollar about.

$169.99?! No way.  If it's 169.99 I think it'll be perceived as a second or third class machine. That price point just doesn't seem like a good idea from a business perspective or, ironically, a marketing perspective.

It's Nintendo.  People who like the brand will buy it.  I mean, look how cheap the DS is compared to the PSP and people still bought the DS slywink  COME ON NINTENDO!!! GIVE US THE FREAKING LAUNCH INFO ALREADY!!!!

Because I can,
also because I don't care what you want.
XBL: OriginalCeeKay
Wii U: CeeKay
Arkon

View Profile
« Reply #96 on: August 22, 2006, 02:32:05 PM »

Quote from: CeeKay on August 22, 2006, 02:09:58 PM

It's Nintendo.  People who like the brand will buy it.  I mean, look how cheap the DS is compared to the PSP and people still bought the DS slywink  COME ON NINTENDO!!! GIVE US THE FREAKING LAUNCH INFO ALREADY!!!!

I have one thing to say to you CeeKay.

CrayolaSmoker

Sponge Bath Slut

View Profile WWW
« Reply #97 on: August 22, 2006, 02:52:04 PM »

I care.

CeeKay
Gaming Trend Staff

View Profile
« Reply #98 on: August 22, 2006, 02:55:09 PM »

Quote from: Arkon on August 22, 2006, 02:32:05 PM

what?  I just want to get the Wii so I can prance around my living room in my underwear as I swing the controller around plaing Zelda.  Is that wrong?  Besides, I haven't owned anything Nintendo since the 8 bit system.  I think I'm about due.

Because I can,
Arkon

View Profile
« Reply #99 on: August 22, 2006, 02:55:24 PM »

Quote from: CrayolaSmoker on August 22, 2006, 02:52:04 PM

I care.

If you cared you wouldn't have been so upset with CeeKay over his ginormous nested quote!

But since you brought up the carebears this image needs reposted...

Anyways back on track.  If it launches at $169 I will consider it, depending on how expensive the adapter is to be able to use a wired network connection.
Calvin

President of G.R.O.S.S.

View Profile
« Reply #100 on: August 22, 2006, 03:30:08 PM »

Dude this is the best thing ever. I heart you.
Kobra

View Profile
« Reply #101 on: August 22, 2006, 03:34:00 PM »

Well they already announced multiplayer gaming would be free on the Wii.

That sells it right there to me.  Plus, I am cheap as hell, the Xbox360 and components seem grossly overpriced to me.  I am not worried about it being pretty, screenshots look great so far, but I am more interested in wrapping my head around a new generation of Nintendo gaming.  Its all about the games.

Dafones

View Profile
« Reply #102 on: August 22, 2006, 05:45:44 PM »

Quote from: Arkon on August 22, 2006, 02:55:24 PM

Quote from: CrayolaSmoker on August 22, 2006, 02:52:04 PM

I care.

If you cared you wouldn't have been so upset with CeeKay over his ginormous nested quote!

But since you brought up the carebears this image needs reposted...

Anyways back on track.  If it launches at $169 I will consider it, depending on how expensive the adapter is to be able to use a wired network connection.

Dude, that's wicked. Not nearly enough people bust out the carebearstare. Makes me wish I had a t-shirt that said something like, "Don't mess with me, or I'll carebearstare you to death."

God bless the internet as an outlet for the world's repressed idiocy.

Yoshi's Island DS [DS]
Dafones

View Profile
« Reply #103 on: August 22, 2006, 05:50:08 PM »

Quote from: CeeKay on August 22, 2006, 02:55:09 PM

what?  I just want to get the Wii so I can prance around my living room in my underwear as I swing the controller around plaing Zelda.  Is that wrong?  Besides, I haven't owned anything Nintendo since the 8 bit system.  I think I'm about due.

Did you know that the control scheme for Zelda has actualy been changed to let you do this? The control's closer to Red Steel now, where the wii-mote's movement controls your sword. It used to be just a button press, but not any more.

Info!

Yoshi's Island DS [DS]
ATB

Thanks for everything, Ryan. 1979-2013

View Profile
« Reply #104 on: August 22, 2006, 06:04:35 PM »

Think about it people!

DS Lite = $129.99.

Wii will not only be 40.00 more.

Kobra's been drinking the Snake Squeezin's.  Well, maybe not him, but this 'contact' at EB certainly has.

mmmm. Snake Squeezins. 
Clay

View Profile
« Reply #105 on: August 22, 2006, 06:09:49 PM »

EA supposedly told gamesindustry.biz that the Wii will sell for $170:
http://www.gamesindustry.biz/content_page.php?aid=19149

xbox live: nude rick james
Kevin Grey
Global Moderator

View Profile
« Reply #106 on: August 22, 2006, 06:24:04 PM »

Quote from: Clay on August 22, 2006, 06:09:49 PM

EA supposedly told gamesindustry.biz that the Wii will sell for $170:
http://www.gamesindustry.biz/content_page.php?aid=19149

This is all from a single source- the rumor a week or so ago that the Wii would retail for the equivalent of $170 USD in Japan.  EA isn't additional confirmation,they are just repeating the same rumor.  And consoles don't usually have an exact equivalency from yen to the dollar- for example the PSP retailed for approx $180 USD in Japan when it was released but we got a $250 bundle here instead.  If this rumor is indeed true, then the US price can still be $199.00 (or even higher). 
JCC

View Profile
« Reply #107 on: August 22, 2006, 06:27:49 PM »

Following up what Kevin said, Gamespot confirmed that the EA quote was based on the rumor from last week. So EA isn't lending any credibility to that rumor.

-John

XBox Live ID: "JCC Davros"
Laner

Badassfully

View Profile WWW
« Reply #108 on: August 22, 2006, 07:33:16 PM »

Hmm... Wii price pool, anyone?  I'll put in $5 that it retails for $249 US.
warning

View Profile
« Reply #109 on: August 22, 2006, 07:58:54 PM »

Quote from: Laner on August 22, 2006, 07:33:16 PM

Hmm... Wii price pool, anyone?  I'll put in $5 that it retails for $249 US.

Heh that's fun.  I'm going to start a separate thread for people's guesses.

I also wonder if they're going to have two different units like the 360 and the PS3?
« Last Edit: August 22, 2006, 08:03:04 PM by warning » Logged
Destructor
Special Project Group

▲▲▼▼◄►◄►B A Start

View Profile WWW
« Reply #110 on: August 22, 2006, 08:33:40 PM »

Quote from: warning on August 22, 2006, 07:58:54 PM

I also wonder if they're going to have two different units like the 360 and the PS3?

I thought that at launch anyway, Nintendo never releases a bundle of any sort. So there will be just one console choice and nothing more. None of this 'gimp edition' or 'non-HDMI compliant' whatnot.

"All opinions posted are my own, and not those of my employers, who are appalled."
Kobra

View Profile
« Reply #111 on: August 22, 2006, 09:04:16 PM »

Quote from: ATB on August 22, 2006, 06:04:35 PM

Think about it people!

DS Lite = $129.99.

Kobra's been drinking the Snake Squeezin's.  Well, maybe not him, but this 'contact' at EB certainly has.

mmmm. Snake Squeezins. 

Theres considerably more technology in the DS than there is in the Wii, the DS is pretty expensive to make, whereas the Wii will be cheap, they've already secured a major discount on their CPU.  $169.99 comes directly from Nintendo Corporate, I'd put money on it being that price.

Nintendo is savvy, they know if they price it low, they'll sell 10 games with each unit, and the games are where the profit is.

Graham
Managing Editor

View Profile WWW
« Reply #112 on: August 22, 2006, 09:14:01 PM »

Quote from: Kobra on August 22, 2006, 09:04:16 PM

Think about it people!

DS Lite = $129.99.

mmmm. Snake Squeezins. 

Theres considerably more technology in the DS than there is in the Wii, the DS is pretty expensive to make, whereas the Wii will be cheap, they've already secured a major discount on their CPU.  $169.99 comes directly from Nintendo Corporate, I'd put money on it being that price.

Nintendo is savvy, they know if they price it low, they'll sell 10 games with each unit, and the games are where the profit is.
You're saying they will sell 10 games at launch with each?  People are going to spend $500 for games at launch?  I highly doubt that.  We also don't know how much the Wii-mote is going to cost either, plus the attachments, and the retro controller.  The Wii could end up being more expensive than some people think.

Partial Owner of the World Champion Green Bay Packers
Tebunker

Ask How, Ask Now, Ask me

View Profile
« Reply #113 on: August 22, 2006, 09:49:58 PM »

there's always hidden costs, however, you feel a lot better about buying those razors when the razor itself is either cheap or free.

I'd be more inclined to buy 10 games if the system was under 200 bucks. Shoot, I'll probably spend too much on the machine if some of the announced games end up being purchase worthy. When you consider that we already have 27 confirmed launch titles, buying ten of those is conceivable.

"I hate cynicism -- it's my least favorite quality and it doesn't lead anywhere. Nobody in life gets exactly what they thought they were going to get. But if you work really hard and you're kind amazing things will happen." - Conan O'Brien
Graham
Managing Editor

View Profile WWW
« Reply #114 on: August 23, 2006, 12:12:49 AM »

Quote from: Tebunker on August 22, 2006, 09:49:58 PM

there's always hidden costs, however, you feel a lot better about buying those razors when the razor itself is either cheap or free.

I'd be more inclined to buy 10 games if the system was under 200 bucks. Shoot, I'll probably spend too much on the machine if some of the announced games end up being purchase worthy. When you consider that we already have 27 confirmed launch titles, buying ten of those is conceivable.
Not if they are $50 each.  I don't even have 10 Xbox 360 titles, and I've had it since launch.  I wouldn't be surprised if it was 2-3 titles, but $500 in games at launch is a bit unrealistic.

Partial Owner of the World Champion Green Bay Packers
CeeKay
Gaming Trend Staff

View Profile
« Reply #115 on: August 23, 2006, 12:30:43 AM »

Think about it people!

DS Lite = $129.99.

mmmm. Snake Squeezins. 

Gee, be mister negativity why dontcha?

Because I can,
CrayolaSmoker

Sponge Bath Slut

View Profile WWW
« Reply #116 on: August 23, 2006, 12:41:20 AM »

Yes, 10 games is a bit of a stretch.  However, there is truth in the theory that the lower the system's price the more peripherals and games folks are likely to buy at launch.  Particularly if the final price is the price of a game cheaper ($50) than they initially expected to pay.

Dafones

View Profile
« Reply #117 on: August 23, 2006, 04:58:00 AM »

Quote from: Graham on August 23, 2006, 12:12:49 AM

Quote from: Tebunker on August 22, 2006, 09:49:58 PM

Not if they are $50 each.  I don't even have 10 Xbox 360 titles, and I've had it since launch.  I wouldn't be surprised if it was 2-3 titles, but $500 in games at launch is a bit unrealistic.

And how much did you pony up for the 360? Take $200 away from that ... and what's left is a handful of other games.

Yoshi's Island DS [DS]
Kobra

View Profile
« Reply #118 on: August 23, 2006, 05:30:28 AM »

CrayolaSmoker

Sponge Bath Slut

View Profile WWW
« Reply #119 on: August 23, 2006, 10:59:02 AM »

Quote from: Kobra on August 23, 2006, 05:30:28 AM

I think smoke pretty much sums up my thoughts on that.

Pages: 1 2 [3] 4   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: