http://gamingtrend.com
December 22, 2014, 06:36:09 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Would you Buy the Wii for $229?  (Read 5691 times)
biggercup
Gaming Trend Senior Member

View Profile WWW
« Reply #40 on: August 08, 2006, 05:03:04 PM »

Oh YES!
pr0ner

Go Flames go!

View Profile
« Reply #41 on: August 08, 2006, 06:11:08 PM »

Yep, I'm probably in.

I thought Smash Brothers was supposed to be a launch title.

Oh, and is Wii's online wireless only, or can I plug a wire into the back?  With a one bedroom apartment, wireless still hasn't become a need for me.

XBox Live Gamertag: Pr0ner
-Lord Ebonstone-
BANNED

get naked

View Profile WWW
« Reply #42 on: August 08, 2006, 06:20:32 PM »

Quote from: "pr0ner"
I thought Smash Brothers was supposed to be a launch title.

If Super Smash Bros Wiilee is a launch title, I'm buying the system at launch regardless of price.

...when is it supposed to launch anyway?

xbl tag = cthonic horror

NNNOOOOOO!!
Kevin Grey
Global Moderator

View Profile
« Reply #43 on: August 08, 2006, 06:24:42 PM »

SSMB is not a launch title.  I think it's more of a "first year title" though I suspect that it will probably end up being used as the big Christmas game of 2007 for the Wii.
Tebunker

Ask How, Ask Now, Ask me

View Profile
« Reply #44 on: August 08, 2006, 06:50:55 PM »

Also stay tuned as Nintendo is going to announce a couple more Launch titles at the GamesConvention on August 23rd. One of the IGN knows about, but supposedly there at least 3 other unknown games that are going to be announced with a couple of them being launch titles.

My main fear is that we may have Too many launch games. Ubisoft has what? 7 games announced for launch, with probablu 4 of them being worth the purchase(farcry, gt racing, red steel and rayman) Nintendo will have no less than 7 games for launch including Metroid, Zelda, Excite Truck and Project Hammer.

I may not be able to afford it all.

"I hate cynicism -- it's my least favorite quality and it doesn't lead anywhere. Nobody in life gets exactly what they thought they were going to get. But if you work really hard and you're kind amazing things will happen." - Conan O'Brien
JCC

View Profile
« Reply #45 on: August 08, 2006, 06:51:51 PM »

Oh, and is Wii's online wireless only, or can I plug a wire into the back?  With a one bedroom apartment, wireless still hasn't become a need for me.

I believe they've said it's wireless out of the box, but that they will sell some sort of adaptor for wired connectivity.

-John

XBox Live ID: "JCC Davros"
pr0ner

Go Flames go!

View Profile
« Reply #46 on: August 08, 2006, 07:05:33 PM »

Quote from: "JCC"

I believe they've said it's wireless out of the box, but that they will sell some sort of adaptor for wired connectivity.

Guh!  Damn you, Nintendo! smile

-Lord Ebonstone-
BANNED

get naked

View Profile WWW
« Reply #47 on: August 08, 2006, 07:08:03 PM »

Complete the following sentence:

The Nintendo Wii's current projected launch date is (month) (day), (year).

xbl tag = cthonic horror

NNNOOOOOO!!
pr0ner

Go Flames go!

View Profile
« Reply #48 on: August 08, 2006, 07:11:51 PM »

Quote from: "-Lord Ebonstone-"

November 2, 2006?

Arkon

View Profile
« Reply #49 on: August 08, 2006, 07:19:03 PM »

Quote from: "JCC"

Bleh screw that then.  This very well could put me out entirely on the Wii if I have to buy an adapter to use a wired connection.
wonderpug

hmm...

View Profile
« Reply #50 on: August 08, 2006, 07:32:01 PM »

Quote from: "-Lord Ebonstone-"

The Nintendo Entertainment System, or NES for short, was one of the most popular and successful video game systems of all time, for a great number of reasons which we shall not go into today, because although the NES was a wonderful system for its time, it has been a long time since its games have been available at stores like Target, or your local mall, and soon there will be a much easier way to obtain NES games: The Wii, a new system that has not yet been released but will be sure to satisfy many gamer's NES game cravings, because the Wii's technology will allow you to play both current games designed for the Wii (a fair number of titles are projected for launch) and the above mentioned NES games which date back to as early as 1988, the year that was for about 365 days (this is referring to about 18 years ago) the most common entry to the latter field in forms requesting (month) (day), (year).
Tebunker

Ask How, Ask Now, Ask me

View Profile
« Reply #51 on: August 08, 2006, 07:37:23 PM »

Communication: Wii can communicate with the Internet even when the power is turned off. This WiiConnect24 service delivers a new surprise or game update, even if users do not play with Wii. Users can connect wirelessly using IEEE 802.11b/g, or with a USB 2.0 LAN adaptor. Wii also can communicate wirelessly with Nintendo DS.

I know that they released a USB adaptor that works with the DS, it sucks for the non-wireless crowd, but hey it's cheaper than the $100 Wireless adaptor for Xbox :-p

"I hate cynicism -- it's my least favorite quality and it doesn't lead anywhere. Nobody in life gets exactly what they thought they were going to get. But if you work really hard and you're kind amazing things will happen." - Conan O'Brien
Godzilla Blitz

View Profile
« Reply #52 on: August 08, 2006, 07:44:46 PM »

Quote from: "wonderpug"
the Wii's technology will allow you to play both current games designed for the Wii (a fair number of titles are projected for launch) and the above mentioned NES games which date back to as early as 1988

Is this true? The Wii will play NES games as well?

Stupid question, but will it play Gamecube games too?

And to get to the original question, I'll gladly grab a Wii at $229. Not sure if I'll get one at release.

Destructor
Special Project Group

▲▲▼▼◄►◄►B A Start

View Profile WWW
« Reply #53 on: August 08, 2006, 08:03:42 PM »

Quote from: "Godzilla Blitz"
the Wii's technology will allow you to play both current games designed for the Wii (a fair number of titles are projected for launch) and the above mentioned NES games which date back to as early as 1988

The Wii will play NES, SNES, TG16, AND Genesis titles (all downoadable via their online service for an unknown price and unknown list of what games will be available - completely up to the publisher of said game). And the console is fully backwards compatible with the Gamecube (and even includes controller ports).

And I'm still sticking with my goofy October 2nd release (or thereabouts).

"All opinions posted are my own, and not those of my employers, who are appalled."
Arkon

View Profile
« Reply #54 on: August 08, 2006, 08:08:14 PM »

Quote from: "Tebunker"
Communication: Wii can communicate with the Internet even when the power is turned off. This WiiConnect24 service delivers a new surprise or game update, even if users do not play with Wii. Users can connect wirelessly using IEEE 802.11b/g, or with a USB 2.0 LAN adaptor. Wii also can communicate wirelessly with Nintendo DS.

I know that they released a USB adaptor that works with the DS, it sucks for the non-wireless crowd, but hey it's cheaper than the $100 Wireless adaptor for Xbox :-p

What is the price going to be on the adaptor.  I just don't understand why they would not include a wired port.  This is just outright asinine.  I don't have wireless networking and never will.  Even wireless routers almost always include 1 wired port.
Ralph-Wiggum

View Profile
« Reply #55 on: August 08, 2006, 08:11:04 PM »

I thought that the Wii was going to be released a month bit before the PS3 (at least, that was the rumor a month or two ago). Isn't the PS3 release around the same time?
warning

View Profile
« Reply #56 on: August 08, 2006, 09:20:07 PM »

Quote from: "Destructor"

The Wii will play NES, SNES, TG16, AND Genesis titles (all downoadable via their online service for an unknown price and unknown list of what games will be available - completely up to the publisher of said game). And the console is fully backwards compatible with the Gamecube (and even includes controller ports).

And I'm still sticking with my goofy October 2nd release (or thereabouts).

I'm pretty sure it plays Nintendo 64 games (via download) as well.
EddieA

View Profile
« Reply #57 on: August 08, 2006, 09:25:54 PM »

Yes, N64 emulation is included as well.

"Why did the chicken cross the Mobius strip?  To get to the same side."  - The Big Bang Theory
wonderpug

hmm...

View Profile
« Reply #58 on: August 08, 2006, 10:03:07 PM »

I can't believe my wiseass post turned out to be informative!

I hadn't heard about TG16 titles being available as well, I'd pay $5 to try that caveman game they always advertised but I never got to play.
Tebunker

Ask How, Ask Now, Ask me

View Profile
« Reply #59 on: August 08, 2006, 11:09:00 PM »

Hell that's not just Turbo Grafx 16, Hudson has confirmed that a lot of the CD games will be downloadable as well.

Shoot, TG16 is a major reason I am buying the machine.

mikeg

View Profile WWW
« Reply #60 on: August 08, 2006, 11:14:52 PM »

No.

I am Xboxalot on Live.
ATB

Thanks for everything, Ryan. 1979-2013

View Profile
« Reply #61 on: August 09, 2006, 01:47:53 AM »

Quote from: "mikeg"
No.

Fool!
Destructor
Special Project Group

▲▲▼▼◄►◄►B A Start

View Profile WWW
« Reply #62 on: August 09, 2006, 02:00:25 AM »

Quote from: "warning"

I'm pretty sure it plays Nintendo 64 games (via download) as well.

Whoops. I forgot a system. biggrin

Yup, as already stated, it'll play just about everything. Nintendo has no idea how much cash I'm ready to toss around because of this, even though I have access to copies of all the games I own via...other means.

"All opinions posted are my own, and not those of my employers, who are appalled."
Godzilla Blitz

View Profile
« Reply #63 on: August 09, 2006, 02:05:06 AM »

Thanks. I don't even know what TG16 is, but it sounds great nevertheless.  That works out to be about $40 a system. How cool is that? Just the Gamecube compatibility alone is fantastic.

Having said that, the value to the NES/SNES/TG16/Genesis compatibility sounds like it will lie in the details. If old titles are $10 a pop and there is only a handful of titles available, I'm not sure it'll mean much to me. If there is a great range of titles and they're under $5, I could see myself picking up quite a few titles.

Has Nintendo said anything about the Wii and region coding? I love the GBA/DS region free system.

EDIT: N64 as well? Wow. That makes seven systems! A little over $30/system.

/jumps on Nintendo bandwagon
/beats drum

corruptrelic

View Profile
« Reply #64 on: August 09, 2006, 02:12:50 AM »

That's one thing I like about the Wii (and probably the only thing at this point) is that it's backwards compatible with the Gamecube, opening up an entire new library to play.
Even still, I woudn't pay a penny more than $200 for a Wii. While I could probably afford it, a lot of people can't say "Money isn't an issue" like a lot here are saying because we don't have trees growing money on them in our backyards.. for most of us 'average' people, money is an issue.

"A gladiator does not fear death. He embraces it. Caresses it. Fucks it. Every time he enters the arena, he slides his cock into the mouth of the beast."
CeeKay
Gaming Trend Staff

La-bibbida-bibba-dum! La-bibbida-bibba-do!

View Profile
« Reply #65 on: August 09, 2006, 04:16:08 AM »

Quote from: "corruptrelic"
That's one thing I like about the Wii (and probably the only thing at this point) is that it's backwards compatible with the Gamecube, opening up an entire new library to play.
Even still, I woudn't pay a penny more than $200 for a Wii. While I could probably afford it, a lot of people can't say "Money isn't an issue" like a lot here are saying because we don't have trees growing money on them in our backyards.. for most of us 'average' people, money is an issue.

I can see how people can feel that way.  I haven't owned a Nintendo console since the original 8 bit, and I kept meaning to get a newer one to play some of the games but never did.  So, for me, paying an extra 30 bucks over $200 won't be a problem as I can finally play alot of great games I missed (like Eternal Darkness and most of the Zeldas).

Because I can,
also because I don't care what you want.
XBL: OriginalCeeKay
Wii U: CeeKay
Godzilla Blitz

View Profile
« Reply #66 on: August 09, 2006, 04:58:33 AM »

Quote from: "CeeKay"
Quote from: "corruptrelic"

I can see how people can feel that way.  I haven't owned a Nintendo console since the original 8 bit, and I kept meaning to get a newer one to play some of the games but never did.  So, for me, paying an extra 30 bucks over $200 won't be a problem as I can finally play alot of great games I missed (like Eternal Darkness and most of the Zeldas).

I'm in the same boat, for the most part. The only console I've owned of the seven the Wii will support is the SNES. The Gamecube, Genesis, and N64 compatibilities open up a bunch of games that will be available at release. The more I hear about this, the more I'm looking forward to it.

olaf

View Profile
« Reply #67 on: August 09, 2006, 02:26:18 PM »

I will buy it when the Fire Emblem game is available for it.

olaf
Misguided
Gaming Trend Staff

Semi-acquatic egg-laying mammal of action

View Profile
« Reply #68 on: August 09, 2006, 04:45:09 PM »

Thanks. I don't even know what TG16 is, but it sounds great nevertheless.  That works out to be about $40 a system. How cool is that? Just the Gamecube compatibility alone is fantastic.

That would be the TurboGrafx-16

Ruining language with my terrible words.
Arkon

View Profile
« Reply #69 on: August 11, 2006, 04:09:32 PM »

I will buy the Wii for $229 if I get her as well......

http://www.macspoofs.com/2006/08/10/ps3-vs-wii/
Dafones

View Profile
« Reply #70 on: August 12, 2006, 01:54:02 AM »

Quote from: "Arkon"

Awesome.

"I'm cheap, and fun ... *SLAP!*"

Now Playing: GTA - San Andreas [PS2]
Yoshi's Island DS [DS]
Godzilla Blitz

View Profile
« Reply #71 on: August 12, 2006, 03:27:07 AM »

Quote from: "Arkon"

Nicely done! Good stuff.

JCC

View Profile
« Reply #72 on: August 15, 2006, 07:02:38 PM »

So would you pay $170???

Hopefully, the speculation of $200 or less becomes true.

-John

XBox Live ID: "JCC Davros"
Destructor
Special Project Group

▲▲▼▼◄►◄►B A Start

View Profile WWW
« Reply #73 on: August 15, 2006, 07:20:06 PM »

Quote from: JCC on August 15, 2006, 07:02:38 PM

So would you pay $170???

Hopefully, the speculation of $200 or less becomes true.

That's absolutely fine by me.

Now...where/when can I reserve this thing?

-Lord Ebonstone-
BANNED

get naked

View Profile WWW
« Reply #74 on: August 15, 2006, 07:23:34 PM »

Official word is still $250, so don't get too excited yet...

xbl tag = cthonic horror

NNNOOOOOO!!
Destructor
Special Project Group

▲▲▼▼◄►◄►B A Start

View Profile WWW
« Reply #75 on: August 15, 2006, 07:27:22 PM »

Quote from: -Lord Ebonstone- on August 15, 2006, 07:23:34 PM

Official word is still $250, so don't get too excited yet...
I don't really care about the price (as long as it's $250 or less) - I'm still buying it.

Calvin

President of G.R.O.S.S.

View Profile
« Reply #76 on: August 15, 2006, 09:23:47 PM »

No, I wouldn't. I see no point in buying it. I think the controller is a gimmick that won't work particularly well, I will get any multiplatform title on 360, and the first party titles so far interest me little to none. So probably not until its been out a year, has plenty of first party titles, and costs 150$. Just not my cup of tea.  thumbsdown
Thin_J

View Profile
« Reply #77 on: August 15, 2006, 11:59:14 PM »

No, but my answer is no even if it appears for $50.

I kid you not.

I hate nintendo's first party titles and I see those as the main reason to own their hardware.

Meh.

Xbox Live: Thin J
PSN: Thin_J
kathode

View Profile
« Reply #78 on: August 16, 2006, 09:31:10 PM »

Zelda may push me over the edge.  It all depends on my budgeting though.  I need to stop buying cats smile

That said, October 2nd?  Get real.
wonderpug

hmm...

View Profile
« Reply #79 on: August 16, 2006, 09:50:01 PM »

Have they still not said how the retro gaming downloads are going to work?  Things like cost, how many will be available at the start, etc.?

My purchase price threshold will all depend on how much the gouge us for the old games.
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: