http://gamingtrend.com
August 29, 2014, 02:48:06 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: [1] 2 3 4   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Would you Buy the Wii for $229?  (Read 5541 times)
Tebunker
Gaming Trend Senior Member

Ask How, Ask Now, Ask me

View Profile
« on: August 07, 2006, 11:51:49 PM »

http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showthread.php?t=113517

So it's a Neogaf post of a pulled IGN rumors article. But it seems pretty legit, as they had to yank it, which may or may not lend a little more credence to the rumors.

I could live with $229, IF we get a pack in of some type. Which has been highly rumored. I would feel good if we got more than a Demo Disk.

Insiders claim to have seen final hardware. The Broadway CPU is allegedly in the 750 CL line, a continuation of the 750 GX series. IBM may be working on a revised Broadway chip with a lower clock speed for a future Nintendo handheld -- presumably one that plays GameCube discs.

I've been saying this was a possibility for a long long time. GameBoyEvolution indeed.

Nintendo has allegedly bumped production of Wii hardware to 5.5 million units by the end of the year, a significant upgrade to previous numbers. The jump is purportedly based on the positive reaction to Wii from press and industry analysts at E3 2006.

If Nintendo were to have a complete sell through at 5.5 million they would pretty much do in two months what MS has done in a year or so. I think this would be the hardest thing to accomplish, but if they can fill the suplly lines all Christmas they won't have to worry about shortages.

Of course this is all Speculation, the pricing falls in line with what Nintendo has been saying, it technically allows them to put in the software pack in or a couple of Virtual Console Game Credits, which they hinted at, and help justify the 30 dollar bump above what we expected. Neogaf seems to think that a packed Classic Controller would be nice too...

Discuss!

photobucket shot of the IGN story

"I hate cynicism -- it's my least favorite quality and it doesn't lead anywhere. Nobody in life gets exactly what they thought they were going to get. But if you work really hard and you're kind amazing things will happen." - Conan O'Brien
WinoMcCougarstein

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1 on: August 08, 2006, 12:00:44 AM »

Honestly, I'd buy it for $299.  That is the price I'm used to anyway.  I'm pretty hyped for the Wii though so I guess that would explain why I would pay more for it.  $229 would be a fantastic price IMO.

depward

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 08, 2006, 12:10:26 AM »

I would be all over a $229 price-point.  I agree with Tebunker - it would be nice if there was an actual game packed in with that price.  But I would still pay if that price represented just the console and a demo disk or something.

depward on the Playstation Network
raaaaaawwwwwwr on Xbox Live
Destructor
Special Project Group

▲▲▼▼◄►◄►B A Start

View Profile WWW
« Reply #3 on: August 08, 2006, 12:11:16 AM »

I intend to pick up the console at whatever price they put it out at as long as it's reasonable (not a PS3 in other words, and less than the 360), but I'm still sticking by the general rumor - it'll be somewhere between $199 and $249 at launch.

If it includes a pack-in, or doesn't, I don't care. All I know is that I want this action gaming console in my house right this minute.

"All opinions posted are my own, and not those of my employers, who are appalled."
Tebunker

Ask How, Ask Now, Ask me

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 08, 2006, 12:17:01 AM »

here's an edited IGN article

http://wii.ign.com/articles/723/723894p1.html

If you compare it to the picture I posted from the original article you'll see some interesting changes.

also wanted to add, that the most important thing for me... is the virtual console. No lie, I just don't think I am as excited about a new console as I was back in 2001. Maybe my frothing demand will increase later this fall.

"I hate cynicism -- it's my least favorite quality and it doesn't lead anywhere. Nobody in life gets exactly what they thought they were going to get. But if you work really hard and you're kind amazing things will happen." - Conan O'Brien
EddieA

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 08, 2006, 01:01:06 AM »

They said it would be "under "$250" rather than "under "$200", so $229 would make sense.  Wii Sports would make the perfect pack-in to show off the new controller.

"Why did the chicken cross the Mobius strip?  To get to the same side."  - The Big Bang Theory
Misguided
Gaming Trend Staff

Semi-acquatic egg-laying mammal of action

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: August 08, 2006, 01:12:37 AM »

In a heartbeat.

Ruining language with my terrible words.
Arkon

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: August 08, 2006, 01:25:13 AM »

$199 is my top price point for the Wii.  Anything over that and I will be waiting for a price drop.
warning

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: August 08, 2006, 01:29:34 AM »

Yup.  I'm buying.
The Grue

You are likely to be eaten by a grue.

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: August 08, 2006, 01:38:30 AM »

Quote from: "Tebunker"

If you compare it to the picture I posted from the original article you'll see some interesting changes.

I'm lazy...what were the changes?  The $229 and 11/2 still seem to be there.

XBox Live ID: The Grue
Playstation Network Name: TheGrue
Devil

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: August 08, 2006, 02:02:22 AM »

IN!

XBox Gamertag: Devil13Devil
Wii Number: 0305 6568 6417 2609
PS3 Thing: Slived
depward

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: August 08, 2006, 02:28:20 AM »

Quote from: "Arkon"
$199 is my top price point for the Wii.  Anything over that and I will be waiting for a price drop.

$30 extra?  That's not too much!

depward on the Playstation Network
raaaaaawwwwwwr on Xbox Live
Ralph-Wiggum

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: August 08, 2006, 02:29:45 AM »

Quote from: "The Grue"
Quote from: "Tebunker"

I'm lazy...what were the changes?  The $229 and 11/2 still seem to be there.

They took out the info about the Wii's hardware. And the tidbit about a possible Nintendo hand-held that can play GameCube disks.
stiffler

View Profile WWW
« Reply #13 on: August 08, 2006, 02:34:54 AM »

Yes.  I guess I could buy a GameCube, since I never owned one and want to play a few of those games, but I figure this way I can enjoy those as well as a few must-have Wii titles.  For me it's like buing a DS: You get the GBA fix but still have the option of playing the neat stuff on the horizon.

The relatively low price is just icing on the cake.

Xbox Live Gamertag: cstiffler
CeeKay
Gaming Trend Staff

La-bibbida-bibba-dum! La-bibbida-bibba-do!

View Profile
« Reply #14 on: August 08, 2006, 03:00:52 AM »

Quote from: "Devil"
IN!

+1

Because I can,
also because I don't care what you want.
XBL: OriginalCeeKay
Wii U: CeeKay
Kevin Grey
Global Moderator

View Profile
« Reply #15 on: August 08, 2006, 03:01:39 AM »

Absolutely.  I was already planning on getting it at $249 (hell, $299 for that matter).
JCC

View Profile
« Reply #16 on: August 08, 2006, 03:05:05 AM »

Almost certainly in at $229, though I am still hoping it will come out for $199 or less. (A $229 price bundled with something would be nice.) I am not preordering, or camping in line for one, but if I can walk into a store and buy one, and Metroid Prime 3 is a launch day title, then I am in.

-John

XBox Live ID: "JCC Davros"
-Lord Ebonstone-
BANNED

get naked

View Profile WWW
« Reply #17 on: August 08, 2006, 03:17:45 AM »

$229 is $30 too much for me if it doesn't come with a full game.

I mean, no offense, but the Gamecube 1.5x is a stretch at $199 as it is.

xbl tag = cthonic horror

NNNOOOOOO!!
The Grue

View Profile
« Reply #18 on: August 08, 2006, 03:42:19 AM »

I'm in, but I think we all knew that already.  I figured the price would be $250 at the high end and I was willing to pay it.  I will be pre-ordering (I don't think there will be a shortage, but doing it just in case) and expect to pick up Metroid and Zelda at the very least on launch day.  Need to see what else comes at launch to decide what else to buy.

Dafones

View Profile
« Reply #19 on: August 08, 2006, 04:27:42 AM »

So there, so fanboy there! Wiiiiii!

Now Playing: GTA - San Andreas [PS2]
Yoshi's Island DS [DS]
metallicorphan

View Profile
« Reply #20 on: August 08, 2006, 05:22:02 AM »

that works out for me to be 125 quid ....but then we get 17.5% tax put on that because we are suckers....so lets say 150 quid(the premium 360 was 280)...the game cube sells for about £80-£90 at the moment i think

hell yeah i'm in....game or no game with the pack

thats a thing,will the games cost the same as ps3 and 360 games?

Manchester United Premier League Champions 2013!!

Xbox LIVE:Metallicorphan
Wii:8565 1513 0206 1960
PSN:Metallicorphan
CeeKay
Gaming Trend Staff

La-bibbida-bibba-dum! La-bibbida-bibba-do!

View Profile
« Reply #21 on: August 08, 2006, 05:46:45 AM »

I should clarify my 'IN!' with as long as it's backwards compatible.  I haven't picked up a Gamecube yet and I'm sure there's lots of GC titles I'd like to play.

Because I can,
also because I don't care what you want.
XBL: OriginalCeeKay
Wii U: CeeKay
Victoria Raverna

Auspiciousness, prosperity, and good fortune

View Profile
« Reply #22 on: August 08, 2006, 07:39:53 AM »

Yes. Yes. Yes!!!
EddieA

View Profile
« Reply #23 on: August 08, 2006, 07:41:18 AM »

"thats a thing,will the games cost the same as ps3 and 360 games?"
Nintendo said something to the effect that the games will cost the same as current-gen games, i.e. $50.

"Why did the chicken cross the Mobius strip?  To get to the same side."  - The Big Bang Theory
corruptrelic

View Profile
« Reply #24 on: August 08, 2006, 09:47:45 AM »

$199 is my top price point for the Wii. Anything over that and I will be waiting for a price drop.

Same here, even if it clocks in at $209 I'd still wait for a price drop simply because I haven't been at all impressed with the hardware specs of the Wii nor even the games for that matter. (It still strikes me as a kids system as all of Nintendos' systems before it, from the games to the way it looks to the Wiiiiii!! name..)

I would get it at $200 though just to check out that sword fighting game (forgot what it was called) looked pretty interesting.. but the hardware makes it more like a this-gen system rather than a next-gen one.

"A gladiator does not fear death. He embraces it. Caresses it. Fucks it. Every time he enters the arena, he slides his cock into the mouth of the beast."
Arkon

View Profile
« Reply #25 on: August 08, 2006, 11:23:11 AM »

Quote from: "depward"
Quote from: "Arkon"

$30 extra?  That's not too much!

I set my pricepoint a while ago.  Yes it is only a difference of $30 but it is the limit I set.  So until it drops to $199.99 or lower I am out.  I don't care if it bundles in games or not.  I am still not convinced I will like the Wii as it is.  I need to try the controller, not with first party titles, but with third party titles.  I want to see how the controller feels when a third party half asses the controls in to a port from another system like they are doing with Far Cry for example.  I am not convinced it will be sensitive enough to use in my lap without exagerated movements on anything but first party titles.
Knightshade Dragon
Administrator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #26 on: August 08, 2006, 11:59:38 AM »

199 is my price point as well.  It has to be below that for me to budge I think.

Ron Burke
EiC, Director of Gaming Trend
Gamertag:
Gaming Trend
PS3 Tag: GamingTrend
The Grue

View Profile
« Reply #27 on: August 08, 2006, 12:16:26 PM »

It will be interesting if any of you "I won't budge above $199" people change your tunes once it gets released and some feedback about it comes out.  We should mark this thread and revisit.

We all know the Forum Effect can be strong.

Arkon

View Profile
« Reply #28 on: August 08, 2006, 01:01:05 PM »

It will be interesting if any of you "I won't budge above $199" people change your tunes once it gets released and some feedback about it comes out.  We should mark this thread and revisit.

Forum effect on games is tough for me.  For hardware it doesn't get to me.
ATB

Thanks for everything, Ryan. 1979-2013

View Profile
« Reply #29 on: August 08, 2006, 01:31:40 PM »

For 229.00 yep. No doubt.  

That said, I'm hesitant about being an early adopter of a console (got the DS lite at launch but I don't think that counts).

I've never been one and have always been the beneficiary of that choice.

Also, though Nintendo's rep for creating impecable hardware is sound, all the difficulties people have had with 360 makes me gunshy.
Farscry

View Profile
« Reply #30 on: August 08, 2006, 01:46:53 PM »

I've owned every Nintendo console & handheld other than the Virtual Boy and Game Boy Color.

I will be picking up a Wii.  And just like with the Cube, I'll be picking it up on launch day if I am able to.  smile  Price is a non-issue for me, as I know that they won't exceed what I feel the system is worth, unless they depart from the business practices they've held for each of the main consoles they've released and price it something batshit crazy like Sony would do.

Or should that say "like Sony is doing"?

I've made my choice this generation, and I'm sticking with a 360 and a Wii.

Purge - You have unlocked an Achievement!
You are now of the rank reprobate
Gratch

GO UTES!!

View Profile
« Reply #31 on: August 08, 2006, 02:10:29 PM »

I probably won't get one at launch, but will pick one up shortly afterwords if the feedback is good.  I'm still not sold on the controller and would like to actually be able to try one (store display or some such) before plunking down the money.

Besides, with FFXII & Guitar Hero 2 coming out right around that same time (iirc), I'll be tapped out on my gaming budget.

“My next great decision is just lying in wait.
The action might turn out to be the world's most grievous mistake."
- Bad Religion, Past is Dead
DamageInc

Starts with s and ends with litting their throats

View Profile
« Reply #32 on: August 08, 2006, 02:19:23 PM »

Probably

The freaks come out at nine and it's twenty to ten
-Lord Ebonstone-
BANNED

get naked

View Profile WWW
« Reply #33 on: August 08, 2006, 02:46:14 PM »

Absolutely.  But it really depends on the release games.  While the N64 had a good release (Mario 64, Pilotwings, etc), the Gamecube's was pretty bad (Luigi's Mansion? bleh).

xbl tag = cthonic horror

NNNOOOOOO!!
Dafones

View Profile
« Reply #34 on: August 08, 2006, 02:56:27 PM »

Quote from: "-Lord Ebonstone-"

Absolutely.  But it really depends on the release games.  While the N64 had a good release (Mario 64, Pilotwings, etc), the Gamecube's was pretty bad (Luigi's Mansion? bleh).

Well ... it's going to have Metroid Prime 3, a modified version of the newest Zelda (that's the one title that I'm not sure if I want to play with the Wii-mote or not), Red Steel (which has the potential to be kick ass if they iron out the controls), Rayman, Far Cry, a crazy version of Madden 07 which I actually think it going to be fun as hell to play on the Wii, and frickin' Super Monkey Ball.

That seems like a fairly solid launch - much better than the Cube's lineup, in my opinion.

Now Playing: GTA - San Andreas [PS2]
Yoshi's Island DS [DS]
Arkon

View Profile
« Reply #35 on: August 08, 2006, 03:08:51 PM »

Quote from: "Dafones"
Quote from: "-Lord Ebonstone-"

Well ... it's going to have Metroid Prime 3, a modified version of the newest Zelda (that's the one title that I'm not sure if I want to play with the Wii-mote or not), Red Steel (which has the potential to be kick ass if they iron out the controls), Rayman, Far Cry, a crazy version of Madden 07 which I actually think it going to be fun as hell to play on the Wii, and frickin' Super Monkey Ball.

That seems like a fairly solid launch - much better than the Cube's lineup, in my opinion.

Of the launch lineup, only Zelda really interests me, but then I could just get the cube version and play it on my GC.
JCC

View Profile
« Reply #36 on: August 08, 2006, 03:20:48 PM »

Really hard to argue with the quality of the Wii launch lineup. With a Metroid and Zelda they have 2 of their strongest franchises at launch. Pretty unprecedented. It's like if the PS3 announced an enhanced version of FF12 would be released on the PS3 the same day as the PS2 release, and announced the PS3 would have a new GTA game and FF12 at launch.

-John

XBox Live ID: "JCC Davros"
Destructor
Special Project Group

▲▲▼▼◄►◄►B A Start

View Profile WWW
« Reply #37 on: August 08, 2006, 03:25:55 PM »

Quote from: "JCC"
Really hard to argue with the quality of the Wii launch lineup. With a Metroid and Zelda they have 2 of their strongest franchises at launch. Pretty unprecedented. It's like if the PS3 announced an enhanced version of FF12 would be released on the PS3 the same day as the PS2 release, and announced the PS3 would have a new GTA game and FF12 at launch.

Very good point.

In addition, I forsee (based on what they've said before) both Super Mario Galaxies and Super Smash Brothers Wii (or whatever they'll call it) within 6 months of the console's launch. That's a lot of must buy games for me.

"All opinions posted are my own, and not those of my employers, who are appalled."
coopasonic

View Profile WWW
« Reply #38 on: August 08, 2006, 03:37:51 PM »

For some reason I'm just not excited by the nintendo franchises any more. I loved Zeldas, Marios and Metroids back in the day (NES, SNES), but they don't do it for me any longer. I bought a cube late last year and played a few different things on it I had been wanting to try, but quickly liquidated it.

The buzz will need to be through the roof for me to reconsider. I don't think the boy will be old enough to care until the next next-gen.

It was this moment that took the movie from being a little ho-hum to “holy shit, did that shark just eat a plane!?”
-Lord Ebonstone-
BANNED

get naked

View Profile WWW
« Reply #39 on: August 08, 2006, 04:41:58 PM »

Quote from: "Dafones"

Zelda and Monkey Ball are the ones that really interest me.  The Metroid Prime series has slumped into a rut (imo) and only stellar reviews could inspire my purchase.  Likewise about waiting for reviews when it comes to Red Steel.  The rest bore me.

A major factor for me is also the nTunes shop, or whatever they end up calling it.  If it's priced fairly and has can't-believe-it's-not-(system name) emulation, the number of titles on that service would of course count toward my interest level.

xbl tag = cthonic horror

NNNOOOOOO!!
Pages: [1] 2 3 4   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: