http://gamingtrend.com
November 27, 2014, 04:34:04 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Would you buy a refrub ps2?  (Read 2139 times)
Rob_Merritt
Gaming Trend Senior Member

View Profile WWW
« on: October 18, 2004, 01:59:19 PM »

Thats the question. I'm thinking about it.

Gratch

GO UTES!!

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: October 18, 2004, 02:03:05 PM »

My PS2 is a refurb.  I've used it for over 2 years and hundreds of hours and have never had a single problem with it.  However, I know 2 people who bought used PS2's that had them crap out within 6 months.

I really think it's just luck of the draw when it comes to the refurb models.

Thin_J

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 18, 2004, 02:05:58 PM »

After owning 2 brand new ones that ended up with issues, I don't think I could ever bring myself to trust a refurb to not crap out pretty quickly.

Of course, I've been perfectly happy with life without a PS2 at all, so my opinion may not be the most unbiased one around.

Xbox Live: Thin J
PSN: Thin_J
HankRaptor

View Profile WWW
« Reply #3 on: October 18, 2004, 03:00:41 PM »

Rob, how much is the difference between new and refurb? I wouldnt do it, those refurb units are not worth the hassle.... they are usually units with intermittant problems that some turned in...

Wii Number 6291 3315 9378 1013
360- HankRaptor
PSN- HankRaptor
Crispin sees what you are doing and he is NONE TOO PLEASED.
ElijahPrice

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 18, 2004, 05:12:32 PM »

I saw those pics of the PS2 refurb and it looks sweet.  I have the big clumsy PS2 obviously and it has broken twice on me already (actually it is broken right now). I am curious about the refurb because of that, but I really don't want to slap down more money on one unless PS2 won't fix my PS2 again...
-Lord Ebonstone-
BANNED

get naked

View Profile WWW
« Reply #5 on: October 18, 2004, 05:17:43 PM »

Quote from: "ElijahPrice"
I saw those pics of the PS2 refurb and it looks sweet.  I have the big clumsy PS2 obviously and it has broken twice on me already (actually it is broken right now). I am curious about the refurb because of that, but I really don't want to slap down more money on one unless PS2 won't fix my PS2 again...
Uh, that's just a new model, not a refurb.  A refurb is when a once-broken model is sent back to Sony and Sony repairs it.

xbl tag = cthonic horror

NNNOOOOOO!!
TheMissingLink

TML, for short.

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: October 18, 2004, 06:31:28 PM »

My friend got a refurb ps2...it wouldn't recognize games, so he had to return it.

Got another refurb ps2...oddly enough, it would only play if sitting on its side.  So he returned it.

He finally got one that worked.  

Make sure to keep the receipt, would be my advice smile

TheMissingLink on PSN
Devil

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: October 18, 2004, 06:44:27 PM »

Buy a refurb and five $2.00 games and then bring 'em into EB and trade 'em for the new, little PS2.

biggrin

XBox Gamertag: Devil13Devil
Wii Number: 0305 6568 6417 2609
PS3 Thing: Slived
-Lord Ebonstone-
BANNED

get naked

View Profile WWW
« Reply #8 on: October 18, 2004, 06:54:44 PM »

Quote from: "Devil"
Buy a refurb and five $2.00 games and then bring 'em into EB and trade 'em for the new, little PS2.

biggrin
Best advice in this thread, bar none.

xbl tag = cthonic horror

NNNOOOOOO!!
Purge
Gaming Trend Staff

View Profile WWW
« Reply #9 on: October 18, 2004, 07:17:35 PM »

Quote from: "-Lord Ebonstone-"
Quote from: "Devil"

biggrin
Best advice in this thread, bar none.

Agreed, if you want a PS2. <shrug> There's so much coming out for (practically) every system that it's almost a waste to buy another console right now. You might be better off putting your money aside for a month and blow it on your existing system. slywink

"If it weren't for Philo T. Farnsworth, inventor of television, we'd still be eating frozen radio dinners." - Johnny Carson
Rob_Merritt

View Profile WWW
« Reply #10 on: October 18, 2004, 07:28:29 PM »

Well see, that the problem. Unless you count the pc( and I DO have a backlog of games there) I don't have a current console. Don't own a ps2, my xbox is giving dirty disk errors on everything, and my Gamecube is monopolized by the kids.

Devil

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: October 18, 2004, 07:42:53 PM »

Rob - You could do the same thing with your X-Box at EB, minus having to buy the refurbed system.

Buy 5 cheap X-Box games (provided you don't have 5 you want to trade in) and give them your shaky-old X-Box in return for a new one.

So you could get another X-Box for about $10
OR
Looking at the EB web site: Order yourself up a refurb PS2 plus 2 games for $120, buy 3 more used games for $6 and trade 'em all in for the little guy. This costs you ~$130.

Depends on what you want...

XBox Gamertag: Devil13Devil
Wii Number: 0305 6568 6417 2609
PS3 Thing: Slived
-Lord Ebonstone-
BANNED

get naked

View Profile WWW
« Reply #12 on: October 18, 2004, 09:33:51 PM »

Quote from: "Rob_Merritt"
Well see, that the problem. Unless you count the pc( and I DO have a backlog of games there) I don't have a current console. Don't own a ps2, my xbox is giving dirty disk errors on everything, and my Gamecube is monopolized by the kids.
I'd trade the XBox toward a new PSTwo.

xbl tag = cthonic horror

NNNOOOOOO!!
Purge
Gaming Trend Staff

View Profile WWW
« Reply #13 on: October 18, 2004, 11:38:17 PM »

and then pay for new games and lose value on your existing Xbox library... i dunno, sounds fishy.

I've known people to go through 4 ps2s in 3 years... I'm not sure their manufacturing has improved with the PSWafer.

We'll see, I guess. From other threads I seem to recall you not liking your xbox though; if it's for the errors then go for a new xbox. If for the games, PSTwo is a no-brainer. smile

"If it weren't for Philo T. Farnsworth, inventor of television, we'd still be eating frozen radio dinners." - Johnny Carson
coopasonic

View Profile WWW
« Reply #14 on: October 19, 2004, 01:52:51 PM »

Would you buy a refrub ps2?

No. A new one is $150, why bother with a refurb?

It was this moment that took the movie from being a little ho-hum to “holy shit, did that shark just eat a plane!?”
-Lord Ebonstone-
BANNED

get naked

View Profile WWW
« Reply #15 on: October 19, 2004, 02:01:16 PM »

Quote from: "Purge"

and then pay for new games and lose value on your existing Xbox library... i dunno, sounds fishy.

I've known people to go through 4 ps2s in 3 years... I'm not sure their manufacturing has improved with the PSWafer.

We'll see, I guess. From other threads I seem to recall you not liking your xbox though; if it's for the errors then go for a new xbox. If for the games, PSTwo is a no-brainer. smile

I've got a launch PS2 that, while long in tooth, is still fully functional.

There are horror stories about evey system, but honestly, it's a case of the vocal minority and the toxin-enhancing aspects of the internet.  You'd think rogue XBoxes and PS2s were out there slaying and feasting upon the corpses of the unfaithful.

As I see it, if Rob wanted to play his XBox, he'd have gotten it fixed by now.  But that's just a psychological judgement call on my part, who knows what darkness lurks in the heart of Monseigneur Merritt.

xbl tag = cthonic horror

NNNOOOOOO!!
Purge
Gaming Trend Staff

View Profile WWW
« Reply #16 on: October 19, 2004, 02:23:59 PM »

There are horror stories about evey system, but honestly, it's a case of the vocal minority and the toxin-enhancing aspects of the internet.  You'd think rogue XBoxes and PS2s were out there slaying and feasting upon the corpses of the unfaithful.

Actually, I'm referring to the PS2 on this. It has the same production problems that the PS1 had (read-head problems). One person I know is on his 4th, I know 3 others who are on their 2nd and third, respectively.  (know in person, not nebulous people on the 'net ... and NO, not "know" in the biblical sense)

I'm on my second xbox (my first one is still up and running; sold to my bro-in-law so I could get a translucent green).

I'm not oblivious to the plight of poor quality on the MS side either; but the margins are not the same, IMHO. slywink  

(yes, the H in IMHO is facetious)  unibrow

Kevin Grey
Global Moderator

View Profile
« Reply #17 on: October 19, 2004, 02:24:19 PM »

I've heard so many horror stories of bad PS2s and Dirty-Disk Error Prone X-Boxes I don't think its fair to single out either as being more defective.

I'm going to knock on wood because my three year old PS2 and two year old Xbox are still doing fine.
-Lord Ebonstone-
BANNED

get naked

View Profile WWW
« Reply #18 on: October 19, 2004, 04:04:34 PM »

Quote from: "Purge"
unibrow

Eheheheheehehe.  Best smiley ever.  The code for it is "unibrow."   Tongue

xbl tag = cthonic horror

NNNOOOOOO!!
Graham
Managing Editor

View Profile WWW
« Reply #19 on: October 19, 2004, 05:04:20 PM »

Don't ask Knightshade Dragon how many PS2's he has gone through.  That would make him very mad.  (We need a Hulk smiley.  dbt, where are you?)

Partial Owner of the World Champion Green Bay Packers
mytocles

View Profile
« Reply #20 on: October 19, 2004, 05:24:27 PM »

Hi, all,

i think the ps2 has more problems than the Xbox i'm basing this on forums, friends, and personal experience.  But i'm here to tell you - if you live within reach of me (Amherst, MA), i'll sell you a cheap, guaranteed refurb - the "within reach" is so i can fix it again if something goes wrong in 5 or 6 months...  or i'll fix yours for half what sony charges, probably less, depending on the difficulty level.   (please keep any requests for refurbs or repairs to email or PM - thanks!)

the other thing is - imo, ps2's are easier to fix than Xbox's - you can probably fix your own if you have a steady hand, if you're the careful type, and if you have no warrantee (as soon as you open it, i'm sure you all know, that voids the warrantee).   if you want to try to fix your xbox, try here:  http://www.llamma.com/xbox/Repairs/repairs.htm

i have yet to find a ps2 - i know they're out there, but i haven't gotten any  - that couldn't be fixed by a repair method.  in other words, no motherboard, DVD drive, or other big replacements.  i also haveyet to disprove others who claim that 90% of ps2 problems can be fixed by cleaning, lubing, or adjusting.  

well, that's my two cents anyway (and, as usual, more like 4 or 6 cents in quantity anyway)!

Mytocles (MY-toe-cleez)

"Of all the things I've lost, I miss my mind the most!"
- I don't remember who said it, and probably neither do they...
Purge
Gaming Trend Staff

View Profile WWW
« Reply #21 on: October 20, 2004, 02:31:59 AM »

I agree with both of your statements. The clean and lube tends to fix PS2s for a while, but it seems they need it every so often afterwards. My buddy who works for a rental place go through a 3rd party (some guy in a basement, or in a van down by the river) to fix em; generally it's cleaning. If it's replacement parts it goes back to the customer; Sony doesn't licence anybody to fix them.

MS has you ship em to them and they fix it. IF you talk nice, you could get it done free of charge. In canada they don't offer the extended warranty, so it's the easiest "in".

Tebunker

Ask How, Ask Now, Ask me

View Profile
« Reply #22 on: October 20, 2004, 03:18:10 AM »

I bought a refurb for my second PS2, also got a 6 month warranty too...

Only problem was a jiggly video cable that messed the picture up occasionally.

But I long since got rid of the 2, good system, but not for me...

"I hate cynicism -- it's my least favorite quality and it doesn't lead anywhere. Nobody in life gets exactly what they thought they were going to get. But if you work really hard and you're kind amazing things will happen." - Conan O'Brien
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: