http://gamingtrend.com
November 26, 2014, 11:40:38 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Poll
Question: Kameo? Good, bad ugly?  (Voting closed: November 24, 2005, 07:57:07 PM)
Best Game Ever - 0 (0%)
Good - 27 (79.4%)
Okay - 6 (17.6%)
Bad - 0 (0%)
Worst Game Ever - 1 (2.9%)
Total Voters: 34

Pages: [1] 2   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Would anyone recomend Kameo?  (Read 4530 times)
kire321
Welcome to Gaming Trend

View Profile
« on: November 24, 2005, 07:57:07 PM »

Would people recomend Kameo if your getting your 360 at the same time as Oblivion?

I work for the Redundancy Department of Redundancy.

This statement is a lie.

I think we're arguing... What do you think?
DamageInc
Gaming Trend Senior Member

Starts with s and ends with litting their throats

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: November 24, 2005, 07:59:15 PM »

Check out my review coming out tomorrow or Saturday.

If I could only buy one game and my choices were Kameo and Oblivion it would definitely be Oblivion.

When I found out Oblivion was delayed I switched my order to Kameo.

The freaks come out at nine and it's twenty to ten
Cleric7

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 24, 2005, 08:02:40 PM »

It's pretty darn good. As Hetz recommended, don't judge it on its opening chapter (which sucks). After that the game improves dramatically!

"All that is necessary for evil to flourish is for good people to do nothing."
Destructor
Special Project Group

▲▲▼▼◄►◄►B A Start

View Profile WWW
« Reply #3 on: November 25, 2005, 02:14:05 AM »

Quote from: "Cleric7"
It's pretty darn good. As Hetz recommended, don't judge it on its opening chapter (which sucks). After that the game improves dramatically!

Agreed on all counts. It's a 'classic' Rare adventure title, which means that it's a good one. And one without all the collect-a-thons that usually plague their titles.

"All opinions posted are my own, and not those of my employers, who are appalled."
rrmorton

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 25, 2005, 02:54:30 AM »

I think it's f*cking fantastic.
Devil

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: November 25, 2005, 03:14:02 AM »

Would people recomend Kameo if your getting your 360 at the same time as Oblivion?

Getting the 360 at the same time as Oblivion? Not a decision you'll have to make really soon. Kameo 2 might be out by then!  :wink:

It's good.

I'd get it INSTEAD of Oblivion!

XBox Gamertag: Devil13Devil
Wii Number: 0305 6568 6417 2609
PS3 Thing: Slived
CeeKay
Gaming Trend Staff

La-bibbida-bibba-dum! La-bibbida-bibba-do!

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: November 25, 2005, 03:18:18 AM »

Yeah, that opening chapter is really weird.  You go through all that and then the game makes you do a tutorial?  I think that's what the demo is too, which may turn off some people.  I'd say get it.

Because I can,
also because I don't care what you want.
XBL: OriginalCeeKay
Wii U: CeeKay
Destructor
Special Project Group

▲▲▼▼◄►◄►B A Start

View Profile WWW
« Reply #7 on: November 25, 2005, 04:20:46 AM »

Quote from: "CeeKay"

Yeah, that opening chapter is really weird.  You go through all that and then the game makes you do a tutorial?  I think that's what the demo is too, which may turn off some people.  I'd say get it.

Yes, the playable demo is the opening level of the final game (before you've had your actual instructions on how to play the game). And yeah, I don't get it either.

"All opinions posted are my own, and not those of my employers, who are appalled."
Lockdown

LD

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: November 25, 2005, 10:43:03 AM »

Has the overall length of the game been determined yet?  A ballpark figure would be fine with me.

Thanks.

LD

"Let your enemies fear, for a harlequin of the Laughing God dances at your side."
Knightshade Dragon
Administrator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #9 on: November 25, 2005, 12:13:01 PM »

Dave's review of Kameo is on the front page folks. smile  Enjoy...

Ron Burke
EiC, Director of Gaming Trend
Gamertag:
Gaming Trend
PS3 Tag: GamingTrend
Lockdown

LD

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: November 25, 2005, 12:31:07 PM »

Nice review.  Thanks Dave.

8-12 hours for me = an eventual rental... but it's great to hear it will be a very enjoyable rental!

From the review:
"I didn't like the fact that I could not modify any of the controls, or for that matter reverse the "Y" axis for some of the aiming movements."

This does bring up a question though.  Is the default Y axis Up = Up or is it like an airplane where Up = Down?   This is important to me.  Thanks.

LD

"Let your enemies fear, for a harlequin of the Laughing God dances at your side."
DamageInc

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: November 25, 2005, 01:04:36 PM »

Up = Up

Scott

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: November 25, 2005, 03:41:43 PM »

This does bring up a question though. Is the default Y axis Up = Up or is it like an airplane where Up = Down?

The aiming really sucked for me in the demo, as it was backwards.  How often do you need to aim in the game?

---
XBox Live: ScottW
Soulchilde

You and I have unfinished business

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: November 25, 2005, 03:42:52 PM »

Quote from: "Scott"

This does bring up a question though. Is the default Y axis Up = Up or is it like an airplane where Up = Down?

The aiming really sucked for me in the demo, as it was backwards.  How often do you need to aim in the game?

Some to the puzzles you will need to aim

Quote from: Devil on January 12, 2007, 01:14:38 AM

NiM$
DamageInc

View Profile
« Reply #14 on: November 25, 2005, 04:21:13 PM »

Yeah aiming isn't a focal point, but it is required in parts of the game.

stiffler

View Profile WWW
« Reply #15 on: November 25, 2005, 10:11:45 PM »

Locking the Y-Axis stinks.  I had assumed, from a description of the GamerCard settings (where you set your universal preferences across all your games), that this would be something that could be modified in each game.  I guess if Microsoft-owned studios aren't doing it nobody will.

I play with the regular up=up settings, but I know a lot of people here do not.

Xbox Live Gamertag: cstiffler
Autistic Angel

View Profile
« Reply #16 on: November 25, 2005, 10:23:30 PM »

I haven't played Kameo, but I find that I tend to use Up = Up controls for console games, and Up = Down controls for PC games.  It's just how I was raised.

-Autistic Angel
Arclight

Truth, is a person.

View Profile
« Reply #17 on: November 26, 2005, 12:18:35 AM »

Holy Mickey Rooney, thats a short game.

8 -12 hours?? Oh man, that is amazing. I've played demo's that lasted longer than that....

Grace: Unmerited favor.
Autistic Angel

View Profile
« Reply #18 on: November 26, 2005, 01:05:43 AM »

No, you haven't.

-Autistic Angel
Arclight

Truth, is a person.

View Profile
« Reply #19 on: November 26, 2005, 01:33:08 AM »

ok....Can you also tell me what I do for a living? You seem to know everything else...

Calvin

President of G.R.O.S.S.

View Profile
« Reply #20 on: November 26, 2005, 08:08:22 AM »

Quote from: "Arclight"

8 -12 hours?? Oh man, that is amazing. I've played demo's that lasted longer than that....

Uh. What gaming world are you living in? 8-12 hours is becoming about the standard for non RPG or strategy/sandbox games. It may not be good, but that is the way it is.
Knightshade Dragon
Administrator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #21 on: November 26, 2005, 08:48:01 AM »

Hate to step on your toes Dave but you don't change controls in the games anymore.  Just like the music - you modify it in your personal settings BEFORE you get into the game, it just uses the settings you specify.  You CAN modify it, just not in-game. smile  If I wasn't at work, I'd have a more detail explanation....

Ron Burke
EiC, Director of Gaming Trend
Gamertag:
Gaming Trend
PS3 Tag: GamingTrend
Arclight

Truth, is a person.

View Profile
« Reply #22 on: November 26, 2005, 11:00:03 AM »

Quote from: "Calvin"
Quote from: "Arclight"

Uh. What gaming world are you living in? 8-12 hours is becoming about the standard for non RPG or strategy/sandbox games. It may not be good, but that is the way it is.

Bingo I guess............I don't play any other type of game but, RPG's, MMORPG's,Simulations, etc....

I had no Idea.........You poor old sods who play this type....I'll pray for you.

DamageInc

View Profile
« Reply #23 on: November 26, 2005, 11:08:09 AM »

Well damn, sorry about that, I will change it as soon as I figure out what you mean.

That's what happens when you haven't touched a console since PS1  biggrin

DamageInc

View Profile
« Reply #24 on: November 26, 2005, 01:41:00 PM »

Well I have looked all over Xbox360s website and Team Xbox and I can't find a menu that allows you to change this.

I will look on the system when I get home, and try to find the settings KD is talking about.

Okay I finally found something on it, I guess it is in the System Blade

I will update the review and remove that point I also added 5 pts to the control section.

stiffler

View Profile WWW
« Reply #25 on: November 26, 2005, 05:48:26 PM »

Cool, I don't even have a 360 and I was right about something.  They mention it in the latest OXM.  I thought it sounded neato.  Like I said, hopefully this will make it easy for (sick/confused) people that like it ass-backwards. :twisted:

I'm surprised at how well thought out some of this 360 stuff is turning out to be.  Well, apparently everything but the launch itself...

Xbox Live Gamertag: cstiffler
DamageInc

View Profile
« Reply #26 on: November 26, 2005, 05:53:44 PM »

The only thing is that having the controls config on the systems tab is not that intuitive. It should be on the games blade or under your gamer profile.

Just my 2 copper

DamageInc

View Profile
« Reply #27 on: November 26, 2005, 10:05:20 PM »

Well I guess I pulled that  part of the review too soon because I just tried finding where the config for the controls was on the 360 and could not find it. I checked every single option and blade including the controller guide.

I read the entire 360 manual, and it never mentions where or how to do this.

I called 1800MYXBOX and the tech didn't know so he checked with someone else, and there is NO functionality in the Xbox 360 to custom config the controller.

Here is the quote from the tech:
"If you can't configure it in the game you can't configure it at all."

I will reinstate my piece into the review and remove the 5 pts I added back in, but I will wait until tomorrow.

If anyone knows how to do this please let us know because nobody including MS support knows how to do this.

markus
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #28 on: November 26, 2005, 11:37:24 PM »

I haven't tried it myself, but I'm told that if you higlight your gamercard and press A it will bring you to a screen where you can modify your options.
mytocles

View Profile
« Reply #29 on: November 27, 2005, 06:12:01 AM »

Yeah, I've seen that option and I chose Inverted, but I could swear I also saw the option in the game itself.  All I know is I'm not shooting the floor with the ice spears, so you must be able to choose inverted.  I'd check right now for you - but someone else can't stop playing Zuma!  :cry:

But, unless you're looking for a change of pace between sessions of Oblivion, I'm wondering why you'd even get it then?  Oblivion should last quite a while...

And my two cents is that I'm liking Kameo so far, very creative, not too hard or easy, and very forgiving on returning you to the same spot when you die.  The intro was bizarre - funny in places, but way too long and annoying.  I didn't mind the tutorial bacause it takes  me a long time to learn the controls.

Mytocles (MY-toe-cleez)

"Of all the things I've lost, I miss my mind the most!"
- I don't remember who said it, and probably neither do they...
Calvin

President of G.R.O.S.S.

View Profile
« Reply #30 on: November 27, 2005, 06:49:10 AM »

I played it for a little while again earlier today and I really enjoyed it. I will definately get this one if I ever get a 360.
DamageInc

View Profile
« Reply #31 on: November 27, 2005, 07:52:04 PM »

Yeah it is off the gamercard. I can't believe those idiots at Xbox support.
He even asked a level 2 support person!

Thanks for responding!

rrmorton

View Profile
« Reply #32 on: November 28, 2005, 06:59:12 AM »

Still loving it. I've got all the elemental powers now and I just took down a huge robot named Lord Drek. Awesome, awesome game.
markus
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #33 on: November 28, 2005, 04:56:24 PM »

I finally got into the game last night after being addicted to Hexic since launch (still am, but I needed to give Kameo some play since my 6 year old son was further along than me!) and I'm just loving it!  The gameplay is very fresh and I've only been playing with two of the elemental warriors unlocked (just unlocked the third last night).  And the graphics are just unreal.  There is this part in the woodland temple where there are all of these particles floating in the air that I just stopped and looked at for a few minutes because it was so amazing looking.
skystride

View Profile
« Reply #34 on: November 28, 2005, 09:38:29 PM »

I wasn't expecting much from this game but I ended up really enjoying it.  The whole aspect of unlocking monsters and unlocking new gameplay mechanics is a great carrot on the stick.  I hate most 3D platformers and I was probably one of the few who didn't like games like Mario 64 but this one I liked a lot.  Replay value is probably going to be low however.  The graphics of the world environment were quiet nice for a launch title.  I can't wait to see a KOTOR like RPG for the 360 in the future.  Mass Effect from Bioware sounds similar but no lightsabers!
CeeKay
Gaming Trend Staff

La-bibbida-bibba-dum! La-bibbida-bibba-do!

View Profile
« Reply #35 on: November 30, 2005, 12:25:25 AM »

After the latest boss level with the possessed fat bitch aunt/ugly as monster that is probably a perfect replica of the game designers mother I change my vote to skip it.  Time to see what kind of trade in credit 360 games get.

Because I can,
also because I don't care what you want.
XBL: OriginalCeeKay
Wii U: CeeKay
ingrin
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #36 on: November 30, 2005, 01:46:15 AM »

Quote from: "CeeKay"
After the latest boss level with the possessed fat bitch aunt/ugly as monster that is probably a perfect replica of the game designers mother I change my vote to skip it.  Time to see what kind of trade in credit 360 games get.

Is that the boss monster that requires you play underwater?  I've heard nothing  but bad things about that boss fight.
rrmorton

View Profile
« Reply #37 on: November 30, 2005, 04:56:58 AM »

Just finished the game. Very fun. Do not skip it.

Between the plentiful savepoints, the numerous hints you can get from your friendly book wizard, and the copious hearts you acquire (even in boss battles) this is one forgiving game.

The underwater boss battle isn't really that hard once you figure it out. It's a lot of fun actually. If anyone needs pointers, I'll be glad to help.
Misguided
Gaming Trend Staff

Semi-acquatic egg-laying mammal of action

View Profile
« Reply #38 on: November 30, 2005, 12:40:02 PM »

Guys, you can invert the axis in game from the options menu. I just did it last night to use Chilla's ice spikes.

The opening level you guys are talking about, I'm not done but was playing it last night. How does the game change after this. The frequent saves are a blessing, because I'm dying an awful lot. The game is beautiful, but I'm not a platform gamer and I'm wondering how hard is it going to be later?

Ruining language with my terrible words.
rrmorton

View Profile
« Reply #39 on: November 30, 2005, 02:49:18 PM »

It opens up a bit with some light NPC conversations, shopping, exploration, and optional mini-quests. But you'll always have a green dot on the map or a helpful hint from the guy in the book so you'll know where to go or what to do at all times. As for difficulty, it'll get harder as you go so if you're not an experienced platform gamer you may find some troublesome areas. But the save points and health hearts remain VERY generous throughout the game so with a little perseverence you should make it through. Good luck! We're all counting on you.
Pages: [1] 2   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: