http://gamingtrend.com
December 22, 2014, 06:08:18 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Worth buying a Gamecube? Again.  (Read 2326 times)
Gratch
Gaming Trend Senior Member

GO UTES!!

View Profile
« on: January 06, 2005, 01:01:17 PM »

I had a GCN for a while, but I sold it because it never got any use.  But with Tales of Symphonia, Baten Kaitos, and Paper Mario having been released, I'm itching to maybe pick one up again.  Think it's worth it for just a couple games?

mikeg

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1 on: January 06, 2005, 01:23:57 PM »

I did.  Got one brand new for $58.  Why not if there are some games you really want to play.  I just HAVE to play Rez 4 next week, so that's why I did.  In 6 months I may sell it again, but for now I am enjoying going through Rez0 and 1 again.

I am Xboxalot on Live.
Kevin Grey
Global Moderator

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 06, 2005, 02:38:34 PM »

That's a lot of quality gaming there.  PM2 can take upwards of 50 hours.  ToS takes many people 60 or 70 and BK is supposed to be a good length too.  I'd say 150 hours of quality RPGs is worth the price of entry.
semiconscious

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 06, 2005, 03:42:54 PM »

i love my cube... & gba sp... &, well, nintendo!...

a system that let's you bounce between paper mario & resident evil 4  just has to be good for you...

(not to mention my vote for 'under-rated game of the year', ff:crystal chronicles, is a cube exclusive)

"... i'm not against some 'monkey catching'... but i'd rather be collecting pants..."
- snake, 'snake vs monkey' (mgs3:se)
Gratch

GO UTES!!

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 06, 2005, 04:04:17 PM »

Final Fantasy:  CC was actually the reason I bought my GCN the first time.  I wanted to try it and Zelda, but ended up burning out on both pretty quick.  FF:  CC is probably a lot more fun when you're playing multi-player, but neither me nor any of my friends had Gameboys.

I think I might give it a shot again.  Gamestop had a bundle for $70 with Mario Cart included, so that might be worth it.  So which do I pick up first?  Paper Mario 2, Baten Kaitos, or Tales of Symphonia?

Oh, and not that I'd ever buy it (I'm not a fan of the series), but this Resident Evil Chainsaw Controller is pretty damn cool.

Jancelot

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 06, 2005, 04:06:31 PM »

I bought Donkey Konga for my nephews and we all had a great time playing it.  It's games like that one that make we almost pick up a cube again.  List out all of the exclusives you'd want to play for it and see if it'd be worth it to you.
semiconscious

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: January 06, 2005, 05:52:45 PM »

FF: CC is probably a lot more fun when you're playing multi-player, but neither me nor any of my friends had Gameboys.

a lot, lot more fun smile - it was my wife's first video game experience, & we both had a hell of a good time...

of the rpgs you named, i say paper mario, the most diabolically-addictive rpg i've played since final fantasy tactics advance. i tried to like symphonia, but it just didn't happen, & the descriptions i've read of the battle system in baten kaitos haven't really gotten me interested...

"... i'm not against some 'monkey catching'... but i'd rather be collecting pants..."
- snake, 'snake vs monkey' (mgs3:se)
Torfish
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: January 06, 2005, 06:50:58 PM »

Paper Mario 2 is game-of-the-year-quality gaming.  

Tales of Symphonia is a huge game that I loved.  Story is very entertaining and the combat is fun!  Highly recommended.

Not an RPG, but Metroid Prime 2 is top-notch IMHO.

Has there been any reviews for RE4 yet?
Graham
Managing Editor

View Profile WWW
« Reply #8 on: January 06, 2005, 08:10:45 PM »

Just remember, while Tales of Symphonia and Resident Evil 4 have been mentioned fairly often in this thread, both of these titles are coming out for the PS2 as well.

I have thought about getting a GC, especially with that bundle, but I keep holding off for a few reasons:

1. I already have way too many games for the PS2 and Xbox (including games I haven't even opened).
2. There aren't that many exclusives that I need to play on the system.
3. The little bit of time I have played, I have felt that the Gamecube controller totally sucks.  I just really can't stand it.

I know that part of me could justify getting it for real cheap, but I don't need it that badly.

Partial Owner of the World Champion Green Bay Packers
Kevin Grey
Global Moderator

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: January 06, 2005, 09:18:18 PM »

Quote from: "Torfish"

Has there been any reviews for RE4 yet?

Now cancelled-GMR had the exclusive in their final issue- 10/10.  EGM staffers who have played have raved about it.  IGN's review is supposed to hit tomorrow morning.

Quote from: "Graham"
Just remember, while Tales of Symphonia and Resident Evil 4 have been mentioned fairly often in this thread, both of these titles are coming out for the PS2 as well.

I'm very interested in seeing some footage of the PS2 RE4.  After playing the demo, I'll be shocked if the PS2 can do the game justice.  Hopefully the additional year of development time will allow Capcom to rewrite the engine from the ground up to take advantage of the PS2, because its going to need it.

ToS, on the other hand, is a very attractive game that will likely face little difficulty in being ported.
Natjak
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: January 06, 2005, 10:39:54 PM »

I thought ToS was a decent game. It looks great and the battle system is fun but I thought the story and the exploring was boring. I finished it in 45 hours. I've heard reports that it can last you 70-80 though. A side note here, what is with Jennifer Hale and Cam Clarke? How many games are these two in together?  I don't mind Hale but Clarke I find grating.

I'm only 10 hours into Paper Mario so far. It has a simple but fun story line, with much humor. I like the battle system, I doubt I will every get tired of it.

Haven't played BK yet. Trying to finish some RPGs before I buy more.
Dafones

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: January 06, 2005, 11:32:28 PM »

3. The little bit of time I have played, I have felt that the Gamecube controller totally sucks.  I just really can't stand it.

Dude, the Wavebird owns so hard. I love the Cube's controller.

Now Playing: GTA - San Andreas [PS2]
Yoshi's Island DS [DS]
Dimmona

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: January 07, 2005, 12:04:03 AM »

Resident Evil 4 (and the awesomeness that is the Wavebird) aside, here's a couple more reasons to buy a Cube (in no particular order :wink:):

[list=1]
  • Metroid Prime
  • The Legend of Zelda: The Wind Waker
  • Metroid Prime 2: Echoes
  • Super Mario Sunshine
  • Viewtiful Joe
  • Super Smash Bros. Melee
  • Eternal Darkness: Sanity's Requiem
  • Star Wars Rogue Leader: Rogue Squadron II
  • F-Zero GX
  • Resident Evil
  • Pikmin 2
  • Mario Kart: Double Dash!!
  • Super Monkey Ball 1
  • Paper Mario: The Thousand-Year Door
  • Animal Crossing
  • Metal Gear Solid: The Twin Snakes
  • Super Monkey Ball 2
  • Pikmin
  • Skies of Arcadia Legends
  • Tales of Symphonia
  • Mario Golf
  • [/list:o]

Xbox Live tag: Dimmona
DS WiFi Friends Codes
Wii Code: 6091 9321 3340 8417
Xbox360 Gamer Card
TheMissingLink

TML, for short.

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: January 07, 2005, 12:39:01 AM »

I owned a GC for awhile, sold it, and recently purchased another used system for 60 bucks.  And I am enjoying it very much!

I bought it for Super Smash Bros. (which I knew was a good game, but once I saw "pro" videos, I had to pick it up for myself to get good at), but have enjoyed playing some Gamecube exclusives (Pikman 2, I'm looking at you).

TheMissingLink on PSN
Interloper

View Profile
« Reply #14 on: January 07, 2005, 01:22:55 AM »

Also, doesn't the next Zelda come out in the near future??

depward

View Profile
« Reply #15 on: January 07, 2005, 02:21:17 AM »

Baten Kaitos is AWESOME - I'm loving it.  Really good quality RPG.  I vouched for it in another thread, so if you're interested, go look at my impressions there.

depward on the Playstation Network
raaaaaawwwwwwr on Xbox Live
Graham
Managing Editor

View Profile WWW
« Reply #16 on: January 07, 2005, 03:47:08 AM »

Quote from: "Dafones"

A wireless controller without a rumble feature?  Sorry, but I'll pass.  I'll take a real man's controller.  If several third-party companies can make a wireless controller with a rumble feature, then Nintendo should be able to make one too.

Partial Owner of the World Champion Green Bay Packers
Kevin Grey
Global Moderator

View Profile
« Reply #17 on: January 07, 2005, 06:09:00 AM »

A wireless controller without a rumble feature?  Sorry, but I'll pass.  I'll take a real man's controller.  If several third-party companies can make a wireless controller with a rumble feature, then Nintendo should be able to make one too.

I don't really think that's fair, especially since you aren't singleing Sony or MS out for failing to offer a wireless controller at all.  Wavebird was essentially first in offering a a quality first-party controller that's wireless.  Only since the Wavebird's release several years ago have improved wireless controllers hit the market with only Logitech's new-revision PS2 controller besting the Wavebird IMO (I don't care for their wireless Xbox controller at all.  

I'm sure at this point Nintendo could offer up a revision of the Wavebird that featured rumble but they are likely holding off until Revolution.  Personally I'm hoping that all three console manufacturers either default to wireless next-generation or have a first-party wireless option available at launch.
Gratch

GO UTES!!

View Profile
« Reply #18 on: January 07, 2005, 02:21:00 PM »

Thanks for all the feedback.  I didn't get a chance to pick one up yesterday, so I'm getting one on the way home today.  A friend is letting me borrow Tales of Symphonia, so there's one I don't have to buy.  I'm still torn between Paper Mario 2 & Baten Kaitos though.  Probably end up being a coin toss at the store.

I only sold my system about 6 months ago, so I've tried nearly all the older games.  One of the reasons I sold it was because none of them really hooked me at all.  I tried all the "big name" games:  Zelda:  WW, Super Monkey Ball, Animal Crossing, Skies of Arcadia, Metroid Prime, Ikaruga, etc., etc., and didn't find anything that really wowed me.  Now that the system actually has some RPG's, I think I'll enjoy it a bit more.

Tebunker

Ask How, Ask Now, Ask me

View Profile
« Reply #19 on: January 08, 2005, 04:21:18 AM »

I'd start with PM 2, which will hold it's value better than BK, and then trade in PM2 for BK...

Also just to address something mentioned earlier in the thread by someone... ToS hasn't been mentioned for a US PS2 release, and who would want to wait a year for RE4, especially considering all the good press that's "leaking" on the web, and I'd be surprised if Capcom didn't gimp the game to get it on PS2.

"I hate cynicism -- it's my least favorite quality and it doesn't lead anywhere. Nobody in life gets exactly what they thought they were going to get. But if you work really hard and you're kind amazing things will happen." - Conan O'Brien
Hereafter
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #20 on: January 08, 2005, 04:46:59 AM »

Quote from: "Kevin Grey"

I don't really think that's fair, especially since you aren't singleing Sony or MS out for failing to offer a wireless controller at all.  Wavebird was essentially first in offering a a quality first-party controller that's wireless.  Only since the Wavebird's release several years ago have improved wireless controllers hit the market with only Logitech's new-revision PS2 controller besting the Wavebird IMO (I don't care for their wireless Xbox controller at all.  

I'm sure at this point Nintendo could offer up a revision of the Wavebird that featured rumble but they are likely holding off until Revolution.  Personally I'm hoping that all three console manufacturers either default to wireless next-generation or have a first-party wireless option available at launch.

Not to be off topic, but the Logictech controller is nice and all but it's nowhere near the Wavebird in quality.

The D-Pad sucks, actually mine hardly works anymore (4 months). It weights more than the average PS2 pad (I have smaller hands). The battery life is nowhere as nice as the Wavebird ESPECIALLY is you play in spurts. The receiver doesn't fit the newer slim PS2.

The Wavebird has it drawbacks (ie lack of rumble) but that's the only problem. I might be a little biased here but I own both controllers and 99% of all my friend who tried the wavebird couldn't go back.

OP: Go with Tebunker and go with PM2, I have all 3 and PM2 is better than   ToS and BK (IMO of course for everything above   biggrin )
Shifter
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #21 on: January 08, 2005, 03:27:50 PM »

There's no reason not to pickup a GC at this point.  I have seen them for under $70, used.  There's a great library already established (see above) and most of the games you can grab for a great price.

The GC also has a great year ahead of it.  Zelda, RE4, StarFox, Geist, Killer7 are all set to release this year.  This could be the strongest year yet for the GC.
Calvin

President of G.R.O.S.S.

View Profile
« Reply #22 on: January 09, 2005, 08:30:03 PM »

I eventually decided to just hang on to mine. No, I rarely play it, but I would like to one day finish Zelda, play the new resident evil, make my way through eternal darkness again, possibly try this new fangled baten kaitos game thingy, and a few others. I mean, there is just not real reason to sell it when i could only buy a couple games with the money I would get.
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: