http://gamingtrend.com
August 20, 2014, 09:09:00 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: [1] 2 3   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Worst Game System Purchase as a Gamer  (Read 4084 times)
crumsteel
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« on: July 22, 2009, 01:36:44 AM »

I have bought a lot of games and game systems as a gamer but when I think about where I have thrown my money away where is the worst purchase I have made. Some systems have been worth there weight in gold but others have have let me down. I have owned just about every system except for the sega saturn I can think of, but, I still like every system for what it does - play games.

With that here are my worst and my comments on them. What are you worst?

1. Virtual Boy - That Sucked
2. CD-i - Was to excited to remember
2. PS3 - Nice BluRay Player
3. Wii - Even bought it twice
Mithridates
Gaming Trend Senior Member

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: July 22, 2009, 01:40:50 AM »

I can't really say that I have many complaints with systems I have bought.  I do remember getting a Colecovision as a kid and I don't think we got too much mileage out of that one.  I just remember playing that ridiculous Smurf game on it.
denoginizer

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 22, 2009, 01:53:19 AM »

Wii

Xbox Live Tag: denoginizer
PSN Name: denoginizer
warning

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 22, 2009, 02:00:11 AM »

I had a PSP for a year and sold it.  After I "upgraded" it to custom firmware I didn't really play a lot of PSP games.

I truthfully don't play my Wii a lot but my sons and wife spend a lot of time with it.

The original GBA without the backlight was pretty horrible.
Laner

Badassfully

View Profile WWW
« Reply #4 on: July 22, 2009, 02:12:57 AM »

The N64.  Outside of Goldeneye and WCW vs NWO, it just gathered dust for the 2-3 years I owned it.

That and every handheld I purchased prior to the DS Lite.
ATB

Thanks for everything, Ryan. 1979-2013

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 22, 2009, 02:44:29 AM »

From a purely gaming perspective it'd have to be the PS3. I've played less than a handful of games on the system, and while they have been mostly excellent, there definitely haven't been enough to justify the cost.

As my DVD player of choice though I don't feel it was a total loss though.
Gratch

GO UTES!!

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 22, 2009, 02:47:09 AM »

I'm going to be in the minority here, but so far I'd have to go with the 360.  Outside of the very occasional RPG (Mass Effect & Tales of Vesperia being the only ones that come to mind), it's been nothing more than an expensive Rock Band 2 machine.   Even with that rather limited use, I'm on my fourth system in 2 years because the hardware is so ridiculously poor.

To be fair, that probably has to do more with my personal preference in games than the system itself.  Not being a fan of FPS, sports, or racing games leaves precious little to play on the system, and the few RPG's that have hit (the JRPG's, especially) have been mediocre to flat-out bad.  A few top notch titles could go along way towards changing my opinion.  Hell, Final Fantasy XIII alone has the potential to turn my 360 from a dust gatherer to a near-constant timesink.  smile

“My next great decision is just lying in wait.
The action might turn out to be the world's most grievous mistake."
- Bad Religion, Past is Dead
jersoc

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: July 22, 2009, 03:22:23 AM »

Quote from: denoginizer on July 22, 2009, 01:53:19 AM

Wii

same
Jumangi

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: July 22, 2009, 03:49:24 AM »

The PSP has been collecting dust for about a year now. It's a slick piece of hardware but I've only had a handful of games that were worth playing to me. Come to think of it since I've gotten my iPod touch I haven't really touched my DS either.
pr0ner

Go Flames go!

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: July 22, 2009, 04:13:53 AM »

PSP

XBox Live Gamertag: Pr0ner
Ridah
Senior Staff Writer

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: July 22, 2009, 04:21:00 AM »

I'd say the Wii, only system I've owned that I sold off due to non-use.

Sean Lama
Senior Staff Editor, GamingTrend
Destructor
Special Project Group

▲▲▼▼◄►◄►B A Start

View Profile WWW
« Reply #11 on: July 22, 2009, 04:34:28 AM »

1) The Virtual Boy. Even though I got it at an uber discount from Blockbuster while they were trying to dump the thing.
2) The PSP. Even homebrewed I never touch the thing. I wonder if it even works...
3) The Wii. While I haven't sold it, the only thing I play on it are the Nintendo mainstays (Zelda and Metroid mainly - not even Mario I enjoy playing anymore) and the lightgun shooters (which are always a fun distraction).

"All opinions posted are my own, and not those of my employers, who are appalled."
MonkeyFinger

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: July 22, 2009, 04:54:16 AM »

Quote from: jersoc on July 22, 2009, 03:22:23 AM

Quote from: denoginizer on July 22, 2009, 01:53:19 AM

Wii

same

In the same boat. I'm surprised at how little time I've actually played anything on it and it spends most of its time turned off and collecting dust. The only thing recently that got it turned back on and dusted off was HotD: Overkill.

My DSLite and PSP get occasional use with Dark Spire and Crimson Gem Saga respectively but sat before that. I use the heck out of my PS3 for both PS3 and PS2 games plus BluRay movies and my 360 has been playing Fallout 3 for the last 120+ hours. Never owned any of the older 'consoles' or gaming systems other than an Intellivision when I was a kid, was always an Apple II and then a PC gamer until all of the hardware mentioned above came into my life.

-craig

PSx: MonkeyFinger
XBx: MonkeyPhinger
Jancelot

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: July 22, 2009, 04:55:38 AM »

PSP - UMD....really? One analog stick...really?
Wii - Overpriced for a bowling + tennis machine.  And not even 720p...really?
EngineNo9

I said good day, sir!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #14 on: July 22, 2009, 05:30:42 AM »

Wii

Sandwiches do fix everything.
CeeKay
Gaming Trend Staff

La-bibbida-bibba-dum! La-bibbida-bibba-do!

View Profile
« Reply #15 on: July 22, 2009, 05:34:37 AM »

I didn't buy it myself but if I did the PS3 would be my first choice, followed by the Nintendo DS.  heck, even then I'll still list the PS3 first.

1) PS3 (was a gift) pretty much nothing but a glorified DVD player but the blu ray narrows the distance between 1 & 2.
2) Nintendo DS bought, played with for about a week, collected dust for a few months then got traded in.

Because I can,
also because I don't care what you want.
XBL: OriginalCeeKay
Wii U: CeeKay
Caine

My cocaine

View Profile
« Reply #16 on: July 22, 2009, 06:40:12 AM »

wii.  don't know why i keep the damn thing.  all it does is sit there and hide on the shelf.  biggest regret i've had after the big games came and gone.  come on N, where's the damn awesome 1st party licenses now?  should have sold it after smg.  last great game i played.

"It's like chess with big guns against aliens. Which isn't like chess at all when I think about it." - Jake Solomon
Huw the Poo

Please feed dog

View Profile
« Reply #17 on: July 22, 2009, 06:49:22 AM »

The Wii, easily.  I've enjoyed every other console I've bought, but the Wii saw a few months of play and that was it.  My girlfriend doesn't play on it either but she still won't let me sell it.  icon_confused

Resident anti-Steam troll
Steam profile
pingwrx

View Profile
« Reply #18 on: July 22, 2009, 06:56:25 AM »

Wii got it for christmas 2007 still have'nt bought a single game for it.

XBL gamertag: pingwrx
PS3-PS4 pingwrx
KC

View Profile
« Reply #19 on: July 22, 2009, 11:32:43 AM »

PS3 - the only game that I have played significant amounts of time on it is FF12.
msteelers

View Profile
« Reply #20 on: July 22, 2009, 01:34:18 PM »

Gamecube

I bought it to try and get my girlfriend interested in gaming. She mentioned how she liked Super Monkey Ball, so I picked up the console which came with Super Mario Party, and then also picked up Super Monkey Ball. She maybe played for a grand total of 45 minutes. I did enjoy the Zelda and Paper Mario games, but that was it on the system.

Other than that every system I have owned has been worth the money I spent on it, even the Dreamcast which was killed off literally weeks after I purchased it.

Tune in to hear me spout nonsense about Fantasy Football every Thursday evening at 6:08.
Larraque

View Profile
« Reply #21 on: July 22, 2009, 01:37:20 PM »

Gamecube - was my first console. Enjoyed a few games on it.
Wii - Wii
PSP - Bought on launch day. Played a fair bit for the first year. Haven't really touched it much since.
kadnod

View Profile
« Reply #22 on: July 22, 2009, 01:53:24 PM »

I recall not liking the Atari 5200, but can't really remember why. 

Can five murderous vagabonds heroes save their world from a roman empire knockoff the forces of evil?  Apparently so! Find out how they did it in the only best D&D game in General Analog Gaming!
wonderpug

hmm...

View Profile
« Reply #23 on: July 22, 2009, 02:03:45 PM »

• Game Gear - Played Sonic and Marble Madness on it...and that's about it.  Those two games were good, though!
  • N64 - Bought it after a price drop at the end of its life cycle because I didn't realize everyone had migrated to Sony.  Hardly used it.
  • PSP - Sold it after a year of little use, though admittedly there are now 2-3 games for it now I wish I could play
  • Sega 32X - Bought it on sale just for Star Wars Arcade You know what?  Never mind, Star Wars Arcade was awesome.  Totally worth it.
  • Mario Andretti's Racing Challenge - Not a game system, I know, but it's my earliest memory of a gaming purchase regret.  Spent long-saved allowance money on it and completely hated it.
« Last Edit: July 22, 2009, 02:06:26 PM by wonderpug » Logged
kronovan

View Profile
« Reply #24 on: July 22, 2009, 02:58:21 PM »

When I thought about this I was surprised by what system came to mind - the DS Lite. My feelings about it have nothing to do with the game library or the quality, as they're both excellent, but the size which is too small for my hands. If I really want to play a lengthy game and avoid cramping I need to swap with my nephew's original DS. I was attracted by the nice compact look, the variable backlight, and better colors but none of that makes up for the discomfort. As well IMO the quality of the speakers are far below those that are on the original. The original DS on the other hand would be at the top of my list of best game system purchases.

Runner up would be the XBox. Again not due to it's quality or the game library but obsolescence. I bought mine 18 months after it's release. and less than 2-1/2 years later MS had deep sixed it and aggressively encouraged game dev's/pub's to follow suit.
« Last Edit: July 22, 2009, 03:00:10 PM by kronovan » Logged
WinoMcCougarstein

View Profile WWW
« Reply #25 on: July 22, 2009, 03:28:03 PM »

1. Neo Geo Pocket.  I think I owned 2 games for it total.  It had a sweet daily horoscope thing though.
2. PSP... twice.
3. PS3.  I've owned one since about 2 months after launch and I've purchased I think a total of 3 games for it.  To be fair, I do use it as my primary DVD player but even that use has seen a decline since I've started using Netflix over Live.

wonderpug

hmm...

View Profile
« Reply #26 on: July 22, 2009, 03:34:18 PM »

C'mon, someone confess to buying an NGage. smile
msteelers

View Profile
« Reply #27 on: July 22, 2009, 03:47:52 PM »

Quote from: kronovan on July 22, 2009, 02:58:21 PM

When I thought about this I was surprised by what system came to mind - the DS Lite. My feelings about it have nothing to do with the game library or the quality, as they're both excellent, but the size which is too small for my hands. If I really want to play a lengthy game and avoid cramping I need to swap with my nephew's original DS. I was attracted by the nice compact look, the variable backlight, and better colors but none of that makes up for the discomfort. As well IMO the quality of the speakers are far below those that are on the original. The original DS on the other hand would be at the top of my list of best game system purchases.

Heh. I find the original DS to be almost unplayable, and yet I love the DS Lite.

Tune in to hear me spout nonsense about Fantasy Football every Thursday evening at 6:08.
iloveplywood
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #28 on: July 22, 2009, 03:51:34 PM »

1.  Turbo Graphx -- only system I actually returned.  To be fair I probably bought it slightly after its prime, but I played one game and was horror struck by the graphics and returned it.

1B.  3DO.  I actually did play a decent amount of games on this system, but you would too if you made a mistake of this magnitude.  Seriously, the human mind completely shuts down when you buy a gaming console for over $600 dollars (I belive in today's dollars that's like 15K) and you realize it doesn't have any good games for it . . .  .  Again, if it had been $200 it would have been a mild disappointment as I did have a few hours of fun on it (wing commander 3!), but for what I paid for it, eek.  

2.  Dreamcast.  Not a disaster, but there's only so much Crazy Taxi one can play.

3.  The Wii.  It was a great party system until we got sick of Wii sports.  To be fair, I'm not a big fan of Mario games or Nintendo's other flagship properties so I'm not a great judge of the Wii's value.  But, now that my son is past his Mii obsession the Wii has been used about three times in the past year.  I've purchased quite a few Wii games and all of them have clunked.  Of the three, though, the Wii is by far the best console.  It's just not the console for me (yet, maybe motion plus will change things up).

I sort of felt bad about knocking any game console, but in looking back at all the game consoles I've owned those three definitely stand apart for lack of play time and remorse factor.  
JSL

View Profile
« Reply #29 on: July 22, 2009, 03:53:20 PM »

Worst - Atari Jaguar, luckily I could return it
2nd Worst - 3DO
kronovan

View Profile
« Reply #30 on: July 22, 2009, 04:37:59 PM »

Quote from: wonderpug on July 22, 2009, 03:34:18 PM

You won't get a confession until you word it correctly - "C'mon, someone confess to buying a game/phone taco".   icon_twisted
kronovan

View Profile
« Reply #31 on: July 22, 2009, 04:49:11 PM »

Quote from: msteelers on July 22, 2009, 03:47:52 PM

Quote from: kronovan on July 22, 2009, 02:58:21 PM

Heh. I find the original DS to be almost unplayable, and yet I love the DS Lite.

Well...I have no illusions that I'm not in the minority on this. But having large hands plus living in the overcaste skies and dim backlight friendly pacific NW, made the original DS perfect for me. My buying a Lite was the equivalent of buying a sexy italian sports car that was too small for me to drive. slywink
pr0ner

Go Flames go!

View Profile
« Reply #32 on: July 22, 2009, 05:55:33 PM »

Quote from: kronovan on July 22, 2009, 04:37:59 PM

Quote from: wonderpug on July 22, 2009, 03:34:18 PM

You won't get a confession until you word it correctly - "C'mon, someone confess to buying a game/phone taco".   icon_twisted

I was wondering if someone was going to make a taco comment.  Tongue

XBox Live Gamertag: Pr0ner
DamageInc

Starts with s and ends with litting their throats

View Profile
« Reply #33 on: July 22, 2009, 05:56:13 PM »

Well I liked the device it just had no support for games and I paid $400 for it which was expensive at the time (I believe it was 1989/1990)
The CD-ROM unit for the Turbo Graphix 16. I bought it so I could play Y's

The freaks come out at nine and it's twenty to ten
Darren8r

I like video games

View Profile WWW
« Reply #34 on: July 22, 2009, 06:40:18 PM »

Since a large portion of you are listing the PS3, anyone want to sell me theirs on the cheap?

My list is as follows:
1) Game Cube - Simply because I don't own a game for it, and have never used it. I'm so stupid.
2) N64 - I don't use it as much as I dreamed of myself using it.
3) PSP - I use it almost everyday, but just to check the  internet or go on YouTube. I have a few games, but the Wifi gets way more usage then the actual gaming.

Now Playing: Skyrim
PS3: Darrenzo- (don't forget the dash at the end)
Simon

View Profile
« Reply #35 on: July 22, 2009, 07:12:27 PM »

I haven't owned that many consoles but if I had to pick it would be between the PSP and the Wii. Neither impressed me very much as gaming machines and I quickly lost interest in both. The PSP is long gone but I still have the Wii, it rarely gets turned on though (mainly to get rid of that occasional blue glow thing).
ericb

View Profile
« Reply #36 on: July 22, 2009, 07:34:07 PM »

Quote from: Darren8r on July 22, 2009, 06:40:18 PM

Since a large portion of you are listing the PS3, anyone want to sell me theirs on the cheap?

<snipped>

True, but everyone mentions using it as their primary DVD player too so probably no luck there smile

My worst:
1. Original GBA.  I actually had to buy the kit to add the lighting to it.  My eyes aren't the greatest anyway but it was horrible.
2. Wii but only for myself.  Kids love it and we have some decent games for it now.  I skipped all the classics until recently so I'm just now getting to play Super Mario Galaxy, Mario Party and Zelda. 
wonderpug

hmm...

View Profile
« Reply #37 on: July 22, 2009, 07:40:41 PM »

Quote from: ericb on July 22, 2009, 07:34:07 PM

My worst:
1. Original GBA.  I actually had to buy the kit to add the lighting to it.  My eyes aren't the greatest anyway but it was horrible.
One of my favorite Penny Arcade blurbs is where they state that the best 3rd party lighting solution for the GBA is a Boeing 747 (the passenger overhead light).
Harkonis

View Profile
« Reply #38 on: July 22, 2009, 07:46:12 PM »

Quote from: wonderpug on July 22, 2009, 07:40:41 PM

Quote from: ericb on July 22, 2009, 07:34:07 PM

My worst:
One of my favorite Penny Arcade blurbs is where they state that the best 3rd party lighting solution for the GBA is a Boeing 747 (the passenger overhead light).

this is true!  I flew to the UK shortly after getting my GB and it was the best time I had with it!
denoginizer

View Profile
« Reply #39 on: July 22, 2009, 08:02:06 PM »

Since I am at work and bored I've totaled up the consoles mentioned at least twice so far:

Wii  -16
PSP -11
PS3 -5
DS -4
Gamecube -3
N64 -3
Turbo Graphx -2
3DO -2
Virtual Boy -2

« Last Edit: July 22, 2009, 08:50:55 PM by denoginizer » Logged

Xbox Live Tag: denoginizer
PSN Name: denoginizer