http://gamingtrend.com
April 19, 2014, 10:11:18 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Worldwide Console Sales Data post o' death....  (Read 2543 times)
Dimmona
Gaming Trend Senior Member

View Profile
« on: March 30, 2005, 05:47:41 PM »

Since so many people on this messageboard get so wrapped up into sales numbers, I figured this will give them something to talk about smile

These numbers represent the total sales as of the end of 2004.

North America
PlayStation 2 - 32.86 million
Xbox - 13.2 million
GameCube - 10.11 million

Japan / Asia
PlayStation 2 - 19.47 million
Xbox - 1.7 million
GameCube - 3.78 million

Europe / PAL
PlayStation 2 - 29.06 million
Xbox - 5.0 million
GameCube - 4.13 million

Worldwide
PlayStation 2 - 81.39 million
Xbox - 19.9 million
GameCube - 18.03 million

All Three Consoles
North America - 56.17 million (47.08%)
Japan / Asia - 24.95 million (20.91%)
Europe / PAL - 38.19 million (32.01%)
Worldwide - 119.32 million

I'll list the Handhelds separately, since there are three.

North America
Game Boy Advance - 32.82 million
Nintendo DS - 1.36 million
PlayStation Portable - N/A

Japan / Asia
Game Boy Advance - 15.48 million
Nintendo DS - 1.45 million
PlayStation Portable - 0.51 million

Europe / PAL
Game Boy Advance - 17.44 million
Nintendo DS - 0.03 million
PlayStation Portable - N/A

Worldwide
Game Boy Advance - 65.74 million
Nintendo DS - 2.84 million
PlayStation Portable - 0.51 million

All numbers are total sales till the End of 2004

And global sales by all time:
NES: 61,780,000
Sega Master System: 13,000,000
Nintendo Gameboy: 118,420,000 (possibly includes color?)
Sega Game Gear: 8,650,000
Atari Lynx:

NEC Turbografx 16: 2,500,000 (est.)
NEC Turbografx CD:
Sega Mega Drive (Genesis): 30,750,000
(Sega CD): 2,500,000 (North America)
(Sega 32X): 50,000-200,000 (est.)
NEC Supergrafx:
SNK Neo Geo:
Nintendo SNES: 49,020,000

Philips CDi:
NEC TurboDuo:
SNK Neo Geo CD:
NEC PC-FX:
Atari Jaguar: 10,000 (est.)

Nintendo Virtual Boy: 770,000
Gameboy Color:

Panasonic 3DO:* 700,000 (est.)
Sony Playstation: 100,000,000
Sega Saturn: 9,260,000
Nintendo 64: 32,930,000

Wonderswan color:
Game Boy Advance / GBA SP: 65,740,000
Nokia N-Gage: 1,300,000

Sega Dreamcast: 10,600,000
Sony Playstation 2: 81,390,000
Microsoft Xbox: 19,900,000
Nintendo Gamecube: 18,030,000

Nintendo DS: 2,840,000
Sony PSP: 510,000

Source: here and here.

Xbox Live tag: Dimmona
DS WiFi Friends Codes
Wii Code: 6091 9321 3340 8417
Xbox360 Gamer Card
Knightshade Dragon
Administrator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1 on: March 30, 2005, 06:01:26 PM »

Holy smokes! Nice collection of data there. Gonna peruse later and discuss. biggrin

Ron Burke
EiC, Director of Gaming Trend
Gamertag:
Gaming Trend
PS3 Tag: GamingTrend
Kevin Grey
Global Moderator

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 30, 2005, 06:09:03 PM »

What's interesting is that there is a very real possibility that Nintendo will actually end up number two this generation both worldwide and in the US due to the early launch of Xbox 2.  MS is expected to drop Xbox support almost entirely (vice continuing to manufacture a low cost version like the PSOne line) since it costs so much to build the Xbox.  With another year  or two of sales, Nintendo could very well catch up.

A shallow victory though, if it comes to pass.  

Also interesting to me:

- The Game Gear actually had almost 9 million in sales- nothing to sneeze at

- Both Xbox and Gamecube are likely to end up with less sales than the N64
Dafones

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 30, 2005, 06:21:17 PM »

I had no idea the PS2 had sold so well. I guess every kid in the world wants to sleep with a whore to regain his health and then cap her ass to save a little bling.

Now Playing: GTA - San Andreas [PS2]
Yoshi's Island DS [DS]
Knightshade Dragon
Administrator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #4 on: March 30, 2005, 06:38:13 PM »

hahahhaa good one Dafones

The Game Gear actually had almost 9 million in sales- nothing to sneeze at

Better battery power would have saved that thing...it was the PSP of its time so to speak.

Ron Burke
EiC, Director of Gaming Trend
Gamertag:
Gaming Trend
PS3 Tag: GamingTrend
-Lord Ebonstone-
BANNED

get naked

View Profile WWW
« Reply #5 on: March 30, 2005, 06:39:42 PM »

Quote from: "Dafones"
I had no idea the PS2 had sold so well. I guess every kid in the world wants to sleep with a whore to regain his health and then cap her ass to save a little bling.
Do you write for Hillary Clinton?

ARE YOU HILLARY CLINTON?!?!

xbl tag = cthonic horror

NNNOOOOOO!!
-Lord Ebonstone-
BANNED

get naked

View Profile WWW
« Reply #6 on: March 30, 2005, 06:54:25 PM »

I'll also add that it's pretty amazing how Sony came on the scene and  basically dominated the home console market.  PS1:N64 is roughly a 3:1 ratio, while PS2:GCN:XBox is roughly 4:1:1.

In a way, I wish the old Nintendo/Sega struggle would have ended in Sega's favor.  Why?  Because I think Sega proved itself to be infinitely more thoughtful and inspired when it came to hardware design than Nintendo, who quite frankly sucks at competitive hardware design.  OTOH, I think Nintendo's better at developing games than Sega.

So in my perfect world, Nintendo would have been the one to go under and today they'd just be making their great games for 'real' systems.  Meanwhile, Sega would have won out, and sure, they'd be throwing out Sonic this and that occasionally to moderate fanfare, but the true gem of the company, their hardware, would be competitive with Sony.

Basically, since Nintendo 'won,' we're living in Sony-dominated world.  Microsoft is trying hard to compete, yes, but they don't have the clout in or the understanding of the Japanese market to compete like Sega could have.

xbl tag = cthonic horror

NNNOOOOOO!!
JCC

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: March 30, 2005, 08:44:31 PM »

Actually, if you want to blame someone for Sega getting out of the console making business, it would be far more appropriate to blame Sony than Nintendo.

-John

XBox Live ID: "JCC Davros"
whiteboyskim
Senior Staff Writer

Hard partier

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: March 30, 2005, 08:45:24 PM »

Quote from: "-Lord Ebonstone-"
Basically, since Nintendo 'won,' we're living in Sony-dominated world.  Microsoft is trying hard to compete, yes, but they don't have the clout in or the understanding of the Japanese market to compete like Sega could have.

Well, their first mistake was complete arrogance that they would naturally dominate a market as fickle as Japan, and their second was making the console too big to fit into most Japanese home entertainment centers. biggrin

I'll give MS a lot of credit and a lot of grief in equal measure, but them just assuming that they would pwn Sony in Sony's own backyard was flat-out stupid. I can't wait to see that monkey Ballmer jumping up and down on another stage shouting to the Heavens how great XB2 will be sans backwards compatibility, then watch as the PS3 comes out as twice as powerful as the XB2 and easier to code for.

Stop laughing, I can dream. biggrin

Behold the glory of my new blog!
Filmmaking is vision plus faith plus balls, all 3 of which Hollywood knows little about.
PaulBot

View Profile WWW
« Reply #9 on: March 30, 2005, 08:45:30 PM »

HOLY CRAP! All I gotta say to the entire world is "quit playing games so much and GET TO WORK!!"

CEO of the GT Post Padders Club
Laner

Badassfully

View Profile WWW
« Reply #10 on: March 30, 2005, 09:16:03 PM »

Quote from: "whiteboyskim"
Quote from: "-Lord Ebonstone-"

Well, their first mistake was complete arrogance that they would naturally dominate a market as fickle as Japan, and their second was making the console too big to fit into most Japanese home entertainment centers. biggrin

Yeah, but do they really care?  Look at the overall numbers - both US and Europe dwarf the Japanese market.  The only thing the Japanese market is really important for is influence.  As far as sales figures go, Japan is pretty insignificant.
Kevin Grey
Global Moderator

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: March 30, 2005, 09:31:00 PM »

Quote from: "Laner"

Yeah, but do they really care?  Look at the overall numbers - both US and Europe dwarf the Japanese market.  The only thing the Japanese market is really important for is influence.  As far as sales figures go, Japan is pretty insignificant.

Not to Sony- Japan is still a quarter of their market share.
Temjin
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: March 31, 2005, 12:26:29 AM »

- Both Xbox and Gamecube are likely to end up with less sales than the N64

Considering how the N64 is considered by the gaming masses to be a "failure," I wonder how everyone will feel in 5 years about the current consoles, especially the Xbox.        

I think everyone knew Sony was doing well, but I never thought the lead was this huge.  These are really embarrassing numbers for Microsoft and Nintendo.

Now Playing
Wii:  Zelda: TP
Rob_Merritt

View Profile WWW
« Reply #13 on: March 31, 2005, 01:02:51 AM »

I owned Atari Stock at the time it merged with JTS hard drive manufacturing. According to their numbers sent to holders of both companies, 12,000 Jaguars were sold at the $245 price to consumers, 120,000 were sold to consumers at the $99 price and nother 260,000 were sold for $10 a piece to clearance retallers such as KB Toy & Hobby. 60,000 cd unit add ons were sold at full price to consumers. Even with those pitiful numbers, they sold like 4 million software units. Biggest sellers were Alien vs Preditor, Doom, and Tempest 2000.

Not that this means anythings in the grand scheme of things.

-Lord Ebonstone-
BANNED

get naked

View Profile WWW
« Reply #14 on: March 31, 2005, 01:45:06 AM »

Quote from: "JCC"
Actually, if you want to blame someone for Sega getting out of the console making business, it would be far more appropriate to blame Sony than Nintendo.
Indeed.  But there was a time when it was Nintendo versus Sega, and I'd say Nintendo came out on top in that fight... which made Nintendo the one to survive when Sony rolled in.

xbl tag = cthonic horror

NNNOOOOOO!!
AgtFox

View Profile WWW
« Reply #15 on: March 31, 2005, 01:52:54 AM »

Quote from: "Temjin"
Considering how the N64 is considered by the gaming masses to be a "failure," I wonder how everyone will feel in 5 years about the current consoles, especially the Xbox.

This is very true, although it is a far different beast in this day and age.  There are 3 viable options instead of only 2 like there has been.

As for SNES vs. Genesis.  In my mind the only reason Nintendo ended up on top was because of Super Metroid and Donkey Kong Country.  For a long time Genesis was #1, then those two games hit.  Anyway, that's what I've always thought.  EA was firmly in Sega's court during those days, the EA games on Genesis were thought to be far superior than the SNES releases.

Xbox Live: AgtFox
Kevin Grey
Global Moderator

View Profile
« Reply #16 on: March 31, 2005, 02:19:10 AM »

Quote from: "AgtFox"

As for SNES vs. Genesis.  In my mind the only reason Nintendo ended up on top was because of Super Metroid and Donkey Kong Country.  For a long time Genesis was #1, then those two games hit.  Anyway, that's what I've always thought.  EA was firmly in Sega's court during those days, the EA games on Genesis were thought to be far superior than the SNES releases.

More Donkey Kong Country which was pretty much a phenomenon for Nintendo.  Super Metroid did well with approx 1.4 million sold but DKC eclipsed it with 9.2 million sold and sequels that sold 5 mil and 3.5 mil.  The Metroid series (including Super Metroid) has never been a huge franchise like Mario or Zelda.
AgtFox

View Profile WWW
« Reply #17 on: March 31, 2005, 02:25:24 AM »

Didn't know it was that low...I thought SM sold a lot more...oh well.

Kevin Grey
Global Moderator

View Profile
« Reply #18 on: March 31, 2005, 02:32:28 AM »

Yeah, most people think Metroid was a bigger franchise than it was.  There were some that called Metroid Prime's 1 million sales "disappointing" but its actually right in line with normal series sales.
AgtFox

View Profile WWW
« Reply #19 on: March 31, 2005, 02:51:06 AM »

I never thought it was huge.  Always knew that it was one of the only games that sold better in the US than in Japan (Metal Gear Solid series has that distinction as well).

Dafones

View Profile
« Reply #20 on: March 31, 2005, 08:36:06 AM »

Wuh wuh wait ... why do some people think that the N64 was a failure?

Now Playing: GTA - San Andreas [PS2]
Yoshi's Island DS [DS]
Chaz

View Profile
« Reply #21 on: March 31, 2005, 04:33:20 PM »

You know, every time I see these numbers of units sold for consoles, the thing I always wonder about is how many of those sales are to different individuals.  If my PS2 craps out (like a lot of them do), and I go buy another one, that just added another sale in the PS2 column.  Granted, it wouldn't be enough to really change the picture much, but that does pad their number a bit.

Also, remember that Sony had a year all to themselves, which also helped a lot.

What I find really interesting is a number of handheld units out in Japan for this generation.  Both the DS and PSP came out at the same time over there.  In that time period, it's a 3:1 ratio DS to PSP.  That's a pretty healthy lead for a system that's supposedly the massive underdog.  The price difference isn't even as much of a factor as it is in the US, because Sony put out the PSP-only pack that's priced only slightly higher than the DS.  I'll be very interested to see how the US numbers play out.

Fellow

View Profile
« Reply #22 on: March 31, 2005, 05:04:55 PM »

Huh? Since when was Nintendo considered the underdog in the handhelds market?

X360 Gamertag: LuckyFellow
PS3: Fellow
Nintendo Wii: 2484 8443 5009 9425
Daehawk

View Profile
« Reply #23 on: March 31, 2005, 05:12:34 PM »

You left out the Sega Genesis..best system ever.

---------------------------------------------------
I am Dyslexic of Borg, prepare to have your ass laminated.

Check my trader rating. Im 22+ and zero negs. Trade with me! smile
unbongwah
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #24 on: March 31, 2005, 05:13:20 PM »

Quote from: "Kevin Grey"
What's interesting is that there is a very real possibility that Nintendo will actually end up number two this generation both worldwide and in the US due to the early launch of Xbox 2.

The Gamecube is almost 2 million units behind the Xbox.  Even if MS does abandon the Xbox soon, what incentive will people have to pick up a GC when it's obviously on its way to obsolescence too?  Short of Nintendo simply giving them away to people.  slywink  I mean, it's the games that make the system, right?  [Well, games and price I guess.]  What's Nintendo gonna come out with in the next year or two that will persuade someone to pick up a GC who hasn't already bought one?  Or do you think the GC may outsell the Xbox simply by virtue of longer shelf life?

Quote from: "Laner"

Hunh?  There are over 19 million PS2s in Japan.  That's more than Gamecube's worldwide sales - and, as Kevin Gray notes, a quarter of Sony's total PS2 base.  Seems pretty significant to me.  Now, maybe the lesson of this generation is that one can tank in Japan and still be profitable if you're successful in NA and Europe (i.e., Xbox).  But with 20+ million consoles in Japan, I hardly think you can write them off as an "insignificant" market.  If MS isn't thinking of ways to actively court the Japanese with Xbox 2, they're dumber than I think...and while I may think they're evil, I don't necessarily think they're stupid.  Cool
Andrew Mallon

View Profile
« Reply #25 on: March 31, 2005, 05:13:23 PM »

Expectations play a large part in determining the success or failure of a console. Raw sales numbers show who is 'winning' the race, but it'll never give the whole story. For example, when the Xbox was first released, most analysts expected that the Xbox would sell between 12 and 20 million units in its lifetime. The fact that the XBox has already sold 21 million units to date (especially impressive considering it tanked in Japan) means that Microsoft is doing something right. Unless Microsoft halts production of the Xbox prematurely (as has been rumored) it will probably move over 25 million units before it's retired. That's much higher than almost eveyrone expected.

Other strengths for the Xbox include over 1.5 million Xbox live subscribers (a badly needed recurring revenue stream for Microsoft), which is also well above expectations and a very high attach rate (ratio of software to hardware sales). The biggest strike against the XBox is that Microsoft has not been able to contain costs on the hardware and still loses a ton of money with every Xbox sold, and has not been able to make the money back on software.

So, what Microsoft has to do is contain costs better and gain market share with Xbox 2. If I had to hazard a guess, I'd say that XBox 2 will probably move around 30 to 35 million consoles, and eventually turn an overall profit for Microsoft. However, where the Xbox feels like the Cadillac of game consoles, Xenon will feel more like a Honda Civic. It won't have as  many features and won't have as big (if any) a processing performance advantage over the other next-gen consoles.
Kevin Grey
Global Moderator

View Profile
« Reply #26 on: March 31, 2005, 05:44:18 PM »

The Gamecube is almost 2 million units behind the Xbox. Even if MS does abandon the Xbox soon, what incentive will people have to pick up a GC when it's obviously on its way to obsolescence too? Short of Nintendo simply giving them away to people.  I mean, it's the games that make the system, right? [Well, games and price I guess.] What's Nintendo gonna come out with in the next year or two that will persuade someone to pick up a GC who hasn't already bought one? Or do you think the GC may outsell the Xbox simply by virtue of longer shelf life?

Virtue of a longer shelf life- which is what I was referring to with the "shallow victory comment."  As noted there are already rumors of MS immenently stopping production of the Xbox.  I don't know if that's true but, as Andrew noted, the current cost of the Xbox is so high that there will likely never be a budget release like the PSOne and the only further cost cuts are likely just to move the remaining inventory and not intended for sustained sales.  I won't be surprised if MS stops Xbox production altogether by the end of 2005.

The Cube on the other hand will definitely remain in production through the end of 2006 when the Revolution is supposed to debut and likely even after that.  Cost of production for the Cube is much lower and it could still remain a viable "budget" console for Nintendo after the more expensive Revolution hits.
Destructor
Special Project Group

▲▲▼▼◄►◄►B A Start

View Profile WWW
« Reply #27 on: March 31, 2005, 07:06:47 PM »

Quote from: "Kevin Grey"

Yeah, most people think Metroid was a bigger franchise than it was.  There were some that called Metroid Prime's 1 million sales "disappointing" but its actually right in line with normal series sales.

And the Metroid series (although I'm not too sure about Metroid Prime) was mainly an American one. In other words, we didn't see a sequel to Super Metroid on the N64 because it did so poorly over in Japan.

Always love looking at these kinds of numbers, though. Thanks, Dimmona.

"All opinions posted are my own, and not those of my employers, who are appalled."
Dimmona

View Profile
« Reply #28 on: March 31, 2005, 09:01:44 PM »

Quote from: "unbongwah"

The Gamecube is almost 2 million units behind the Xbox.  Even if MS does abandon the Xbox soon, what incentive will people have to pick up a GC when it's obviously on its way to obsolescence too?  Short of Nintendo simply giving them away to people.  slywink  I mean, it's the games that make the system, right?  [Well, games and price I guess.]  What's Nintendo gonna come out with in the next year or two that will persuade someone to pick up a GC who hasn't already bought one?  Or do you think the GC may outsell the Xbox simply by virtue of longer shelf life?

Dude... where have you been living the last six months :-)

Xbox Live tag: Dimmona
DS WiFi Friends Codes
Wii Code: 6091 9321 3340 8417
Xbox360 Gamer Card
stiffler

View Profile WWW
« Reply #29 on: April 01, 2005, 12:08:25 AM »

Quote from: "Daehawk"

I would argue that the Saturn is the best system ever.  Might not have had the "WOW" factor (admittedly, the Genesis was a whole new world), but I love the Saturn hardware and the games.  2D gaming nirvana!

Xbox Live Gamertag: cstiffler
Destructor
Special Project Group

▲▲▼▼◄►◄►B A Start

View Profile WWW
« Reply #30 on: April 01, 2005, 05:54:36 PM »

Quote from: "stiffler"
Quote from: "Daehawk"

I would argue that the Saturn is the best system ever.  Might not have had the "WOW" factor (admittedly, the Genesis was a whole new world), but I love the Saturn hardware and the games.  2D gaming nirvana!

And with that 4MB memory cart (imported from Japan), perfect arcade translations (with no load time) of X-Men vs Street Fighter and Marvel Super Heroes. biggrin

"All opinions posted are my own, and not those of my employers, who are appalled."
stiffler

View Profile WWW
« Reply #31 on: April 02, 2005, 06:12:12 PM »

Quote from: "Destructor"
And with that 4MB memory cart (imported from Japan), perfect arcade translations (with no load time) of X-Men vs Street Fighter and Marvel Super Heroes. biggrin

No doubt!  That is exactly what I was referring to when I mentioned that.  Back in the Saturn days I was still living at home and had a job so I had plenty of disposable income for import titles.  Those that used the memory cart were truly works of art.

In a related note, I wish the PS1 port of Pocket Fighter didn't suck.  More people should have played that game.  It is still the fighting game I am most fond of.

Xbox Live Gamertag: cstiffler
JayG
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #32 on: April 02, 2005, 06:29:46 PM »

What's amazing is that my homeland Ireland is supposed to have 1 million Playstation 2's, with a population of 4 million. That's a lot of P2's. Could explain all the huge Q's in EB and Game.
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: