http://gamingtrend.com
December 19, 2014, 10:59:11 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: World Series of Poker [Xbox]  (Read 1338 times)
Eco-Logic
Gaming Trend Member
Gaming Trend Senior Member

Gamertag: St0ckBroker

View Profile
« on: September 08, 2005, 03:30:40 PM »

I have been playing WSOP on the Xbox for the past few days and would like to share a couple of thoughts with you all.  I am not one for writing out long winded reviews so this will be short and sweet.  The games presentation is spot on.   The announcer is a bit cheesy, but so is the real life announcer so it didn't bother me much.  I started a career right away as I figured there would be no learning curve.  There are many options for creating your player, but no where near as many as I have become accustomed to (i.e. Tiger Woods).  You start off with a $10,000 bankroll and have a choice as to what event you would like to participate in first.  The buy-in for the WSOP championship event is $10K, so you can dive right into that if you like.  I chose a $1,500 buy-in No-Limit Holdem tourney.  The gameplay is simple.  Just like online poker with no mouse.  The players at the table make irritating comments as turn goes around the table.  Luckily you can speed up the gameplay though, skipping the call/bet animations of the other players (and their comments).  The AI seems fairly good.  I was actually surprised because it seems to me that Poker AI would be hard to do right.   I caught the AI bluffing a few times and I was trapped a couple times as well.  The AI uses All-In in the right situation and also seems to bet consistently.   With that said, for some reason I have no desire to keep playing it.  I think the primary reason for this is that I can just as easily go into the computer room and load Pokerstars and play for money or play money with real people.   The game rewards you with collectible chips as certain scenarios occur (i.e. all in before the flop win), but that isn't reason enough to keep playing.  I will say this though, I will probably still buy a Poker game for the PSP (maybe this one) as playing on the road would be a ton of fun.  Anyway, I am open for questions if anyone is interested.

Wake up.
Knightshade Dragon
Administrator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1 on: September 08, 2005, 03:37:11 PM »

I found it to be pretty challenging.  You can get your butt handed to you very quickly by the pros in the no-limit tables.  I'm still enjoying it, but there is a lack of polish there, I agree.  Its very much a 'value' title.  Still not too bad if you catch it on sale.

Ron Burke
EiC, Director of Gaming Trend
Gamertag:
Gaming Trend
PS3 Tag: GamingTrend
Eco-Logic
Gaming Trend Member

Gamertag: St0ckBroker

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 08, 2005, 06:12:35 PM »

Here is a review if anyone is interested.

5.9 from Teamxbox...

http://reviews.teamxbox.com/xbox/977/World-Series-of-Poker/p1/

Wake up.
Calvin

President of G.R.O.S.S.

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 09, 2005, 01:55:21 AM »

With all due respect, this kind of thing will not help you learn poker. Just play free tables with play money at any poker site on the net and you will get a far better game and learn far more about the game than you could ever from AI players.
denoginizer

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 09, 2005, 03:15:13 AM »

In my experience with online free poker I found that people do not play anywhere close to good poker.  They call everything preflop.  This is on the play money tables of course.  I have yet to try playing for real money.

Xbox Live Tag: denoginizer
PSN Name: denoginizer
Calvin

President of G.R.O.S.S.

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: September 09, 2005, 04:03:35 AM »

Quote from: "denoginizer"
In my experience with online free poker I found that people do not play anywhere close to good poker.  They call everything preflop.  This is on the play money tables of course.  I have yet to try playing for real money.

Of course they do. They play awful poker. I hesitate to call it poker. But the experience is still vastly superior to playing against an AI construct, for obvious reasons given how important the human element is. Plus, learning how to play hands and seeing flops and learning your bets against live opponents is worth it even when your opponents are absolute idiots. The volume of hands online is just a phenomenal training aid for learning how to really play when you get better-and learning how to deal with internet denizens is very, very important for small stakes cash games and low buy-in tournaments, where 90% of the players will continue to play like asshats even with money on the line.
Knightshade Dragon
Administrator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #6 on: September 09, 2005, 04:33:50 AM »

I'll have a review for the Xbox version up tomorrow.  smile

Ron Burke
EiC, Director of Gaming Trend
Gamertag:
Gaming Trend
PS3 Tag: GamingTrend
adamsappel
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: September 09, 2005, 05:14:31 AM »

I'm waiting for Daniel Negreanu's "Stacked" for my Xbox poker fix.

Xbox Live Gamertag: adamsappel
Bullwinkle
Gaming Trend Staff

Watch me pull a rabbit outta my hat.

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: September 09, 2005, 02:04:32 PM »

This is from a few days ago, but I haven't had time to post, and I figured someone else would, but IGN really slammed this game.  3.5!

Here's linkage: http://xbox.ign.com/articles/648/648099p1.html

I, of course, bought it before these reviews came out.  I thought it was okay, but I didn't get very far into a career before I got bored.  Ah, well.

That's like blaming owls because I suck at making analogies.
VWBug
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: September 10, 2005, 11:43:45 PM »

I pre-ordered World Series of Poker at Gamestop about a month ago (for PC).  The release has been delayed twice and is supposed to be out for PC on 9/13 (Tuesday).  They are offering it for $19.99 with free next day  shipping.

I am disappointed to hear the reviews so far.  It looked like it had possibilities.  

We'll see... otherwise it's back to "Tournament Poker No Limit Texas Hold'em" which IMHO is a very good game, just dated graphics with focus on play and stats.
Calvin

President of G.R.O.S.S.

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: September 11, 2005, 12:58:24 AM »

Quote from: "VWBug"
I pre-ordered World Series of Poker at Gamestop about a month ago (for PC).  The release has been delayed twice and is supposed to be out for PC on 9/13 (Tuesday).  They are offering it for $19.99 with free next day  shipping.

I am disappointed to hear the reviews so far.  It looked like it had possibilities.  

We'll see... otherwise it's back to "Tournament Poker No Limit Texas Hold'em" which IMHO is a very good game, just dated graphics with focus on pley and stats.

Pokerstars
Poker Room

And many more![/url]
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: