http://gamingtrend.com
October 21, 2014, 04:19:38 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: World of Goo  (Read 2406 times)
Tals
Gaming Trend Senior Member

View Profile
« on: October 13, 2008, 10:44:41 PM »

It's out now.

If you're looking for a physics/puzzle game - well drawn graphics/excellent music etc. This one is not bad at all. No CP at all.

Game is available from http://2dboy.com/games.php

A preview 'demo' can be found here

http://www.experimentalgameplay.com/game.php?g=17

Which gives an idea of the mechanics but doesn't portray the graphics or sound that the final release got or the variety they added to it.

Tals

Currently Playing: Psyconauts, lol, wee raptr: Tals Steam: Talsworthy
wonton
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: October 14, 2008, 04:10:53 PM »

+1 to this.  Fun physics based puzzle gaming with amazing art direction.  And for all the bitching I hear about the ethics of copy-protection here, some of you might want to support a game that's gone without any.  nod
ChrisGrenard
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 14, 2008, 05:59:30 PM »

Just jumping in to give my approval of all things Goo.  Seriously, I loved this game.  So much that I'm advertising for them on my site for free.

EngineNo9

I said good day, sir!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #3 on: October 14, 2008, 10:22:06 PM »

Yeah, this is a fun one very much worth checking out.  I preordered it a couple months back and enjoyed the first zone they when they released it.  I still haven't gotten further than that in the full release, but maybe some day. 

Sandwiches do fix everything.
wonton
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 15, 2008, 01:59:00 AM »

Quote from: EngineNo9 on October 14, 2008, 10:22:06 PM

Yeah, this is a fun one very much worth checking out.  I preordered it a couple months back and enjoyed the first zone they when they released it.  I still haven't gotten further than that in the full release, but maybe some day. 

Same here (got it when PA pimped it) and will happily let it sit on my hard drive until the right mood strikes.
Tals

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: October 15, 2008, 06:48:37 AM »

Chapter 1 demo is now available - kindly hosted by CG http://www.rbdlc.com/worldofgoodemo_v1.0.exe

Chapter 1 is an excellent demonstration of the game.

Tals

ChrisGrenard
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: October 15, 2008, 09:32:11 PM »

My bandwidth went through the roof last night since I posted that.  Between the hours of about 10:30 and 2am mountain time I got something like 400 downloads.

Eduardo X

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: October 17, 2008, 12:56:26 AM »

I got this for the Wii.
The tumbler level is one of the coolest levels I've ever played.

PSN ID: EduardoX
Tals

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: October 17, 2008, 05:41:52 AM »

For those wondering the tumbler is in chapter 1 so on the pc demo.

My favourite level so far is fly little things...which seemed impossible at first glance but was fairly easy. That was in chapter 1 I think. Windmill was also sweet in chapter 2. I'm finding he certainly got even more original in chapter 2. Not got further yet but I hope this to be one of my few games I complete

baelthazar

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: October 17, 2008, 12:16:51 PM »

I am angry, because the European version is not "out" yet. I guess I could have my family log into my Steam account at home in the US, buy it, then I could DL it here...

icon_twisted icon_twisted
Tals

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: October 17, 2008, 12:24:01 PM »

Quote from: baelthazar on October 17, 2008, 12:16:51 PM

I am angry, because the European version is not "out" yet. I guess I could have my family log into my Steam account at home in the US, buy it, then I could DL it here...

icon_twisted icon_twisted

I think you are mad if you are waiting to buy this on steam. The non steam version is downloadable almost instantly, is the same price and has zero drm so all of the family can enjoy it.

I usually would go for a steam game at the same price but not in this instance.

Tals

EngineNo9

I said good day, sir!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #11 on: October 17, 2008, 02:51:42 PM »

Yeah, why buy from Steam when you can support the developers directly?

TiLT

Preaching to the choir

View Profile WWW
« Reply #12 on: October 17, 2008, 03:03:06 PM »

I guess I should post a dissenting opinion: I'm not enjoying this game. I've played through about 6 or so levels so far, and they have been a chore. The game feels random and twitchy, but despite my quick reflexes I don't feel like I'm actually doing much good. There's no tutorial to speak of, so you're tossed straight into the thick of things without knowing more than just the basic control system (which isn't all that good either. Selecting the proper blob from your horde during hectic moments is annoyingly difficult).

I loved Bridge Builder and Pontifex, but this game just isn't doing anything for me. I've booted it up several times now to see if I was just in a bad mood or something when I first tried it, but every time I just end up closing the thing in mild disgust after a level.
wonton
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: October 17, 2008, 04:27:15 PM »

Quote from: TiLT on October 17, 2008, 03:03:06 PM

I guess I should post a dissenting opinion: I'm not enjoying this game. I've played through about 6 or so levels so far, and they have been a chore. The game feels random and twitchy, but despite my quick reflexes I don't feel like I'm actually doing much good. There's no tutorial to speak of, so you're tossed straight into the thick of things without knowing more than just the basic control system (which isn't all that good either. Selecting the proper blob from your horde during hectic moments is annoyingly difficult).

I loved Bridge Builder and Pontifex, but this game just isn't doing anything for me. I've booted it up several times now to see if I was just in a bad mood or something when I first tried it, but every time I just end up closing the thing in mild disgust after a level.

To each their own, but I don't really get the complaint of lack of tutorial.  Have you noticed the signs placed in the level?  They offer up some tips and hints, but the level design itself IS the tutorial.  It's extremely "Portalesque" in that sense.  I also haven't felt its really much of a "quick reflex" game, so I think we must be attacking this game from different angles. 

Anyway, this thread was a bit too positive, so it's nice to hear the other side  icon_wink
JSL

View Profile
« Reply #14 on: October 17, 2008, 05:22:52 PM »

I played through the demo and really enjoyed it. I plan to pick it up early next month, but I'm not sure if I will get the PC or Wii version.
Tals

View Profile
« Reply #15 on: October 17, 2008, 05:34:01 PM »

I'm all for negative opinions as well as positive.

That said I found the game effectively tutors you as it goes along. Slowly bringing in new ideas and mechanics.
The only level I found twitchy was tower of goo which I really didn't enjoy at all and was pleased when I got past it

Eduardo X

View Profile
« Reply #16 on: October 17, 2008, 10:47:23 PM »

Quote from: Tals on October 17, 2008, 05:34:01 PM

That said I found the game effectively tutors you as it goes along. Slowly bringing in new ideas and mechanics.
The only level I found twitchy was tower of goo which I really didn't enjoy at all and was pleased when I got past it
It took me about 4 minutes to complete tower of goo because I didn't follow the instructions and took my time. I can't imagine why they'd want you to go quick.
In fact, I feel that way about the whole game. Why would you go quick?

PSN ID: EduardoX
EngineNo9

I said good day, sir!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #17 on: October 18, 2008, 01:53:43 AM »

Yeah, that Tower of Goo level is difficult.  I also had to rush in the level where you build the bridge over the spikes by attaching balloons...I had to quickly attach a balloon goo to lift the bridge up and then quickly put on another regular goo to weigh it back down a bit so it didn't hit the spikes up top. 

I much prefer levels where I can take my time.

wonton
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #18 on: October 19, 2008, 12:07:24 AM »

Quote from: Eduardo X on October 17, 2008, 10:47:23 PM

Quote from: Tals on October 17, 2008, 05:34:01 PM

It took me about 4 minutes to complete tower of goo because I didn't follow the instructions and took my time. I can't imagine why they'd want you to go quick.
In fact, I feel that way about the whole game. Why would you go quick?

I saw a video posted of the super-guru peak player for the goo corp. or whatever it is they dub the multiplayer competition.... anyhow he built the tallest tower and was able to do so because he was so quick doing it before it collapsed.  I haven't encountered that need for the more puzzle based singleplayer mode though.
kathode

View Profile
« Reply #19 on: October 19, 2008, 05:47:38 AM »

Doh, wrong thread frown
« Last Edit: October 20, 2008, 09:16:16 PM by kathode » Logged
EngineNo9

I said good day, sir!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #20 on: October 19, 2008, 06:47:04 AM »

Quote from: kathode on October 19, 2008, 05:47:38 AM

Ugh, do not use the DLC suit.  You can never take it off, and apparently later in the game the DLC's defense rating is half of the regular suit's. 

Um...what?   icon_confused  I think you've taken one to many VATS shots to the head.  Tongue

Dimmona

View Profile
« Reply #21 on: October 20, 2008, 09:10:50 PM »

I'm on chapter 4 (PC version), and I'm loving it so far.  It's easy to get repetitive in physics based puzzle games, but 4 chapters in and it still seems like they're throwing in a brand new gameplay mechanic or new type of goo in every level.  Puzzle game of the year right here folks!

Xbox Live tag: Dimmona
DS WiFi Friends Codes
Wii Code: 6091 9321 3340 8417
Xbox360 Gamer Card
kathode

View Profile
« Reply #22 on: October 20, 2008, 09:15:56 PM »

Quote from: EngineNo9 on October 19, 2008, 06:47:04 AM

Quote from: kathode on October 19, 2008, 05:47:38 AM

Ugh, do not use the DLC suit.  You can never take it off, and apparently later in the game the DLC's defense rating is half of the regular suit's. 

Um...what?   icon_confused  I think you've taken one to many VATS shots to the head.  Tongue

Hahaha, I was looking through the Dead Space thread today wondering where this post went.  I guess that explains it!
Dimmona

View Profile
« Reply #23 on: October 21, 2008, 05:50:05 AM »

So I finished the game this afternoon.   Overall I'm very happy with the $20 I spent on it - one of the most original, engaging games this year.  It didn't take me very long to make it through, and outside of the tower meta game and OCD achievements there's not a lot of reasons to go back and play it again, but man was it fun while it lasted.

Favorite level:
Spoiler for Hiden:
Recycle Bin.  I'm not sure why, but I enjoyed all of the computer levels.  They had a much different mechanic than the rest of the goo levels, and the whole email spam plot + the overall humor and not so subtle references to various internet memes made it a blast to play through.

Xbox Live tag: Dimmona
DS WiFi Friends Codes
Wii Code: 6091 9321 3340 8417
Xbox360 Gamer Card
Tals

View Profile
« Reply #24 on: October 21, 2008, 07:48:17 AM »

Quote from: Dimmona on October 21, 2008, 05:50:05 AM

So I finished the game this afternoon.   Overall I'm very happy with the $20 I spent on it - one of the most original, engaging games this year.  It didn't take me very long to make it through, and outside of the tower meta game and OCD achievements there's not a lot of reasons to go back and play it again, but man was it fun while it lasted.

Favorite level:
Spoiler for Hiden:
Recycle Bin.  I'm not sure why, but I enjoyed all of the computer levels.  They had a much different mechanic than the rest of the goo levels, and the whole email spam plot + the overall humor and not so subtle references to various internet memes made it a blast to play through.

I think that is true of a lot of puzzle games. Portal for instance for me was an absolute blast - but until they create Portal 2 witha  whole new set of challenges I see no reason to return. I'm not one for aiming to get the best or quickest solution.

I'm on chapter 2 and enjoying the ride.

Tals

Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: