http://gamingtrend.com
November 27, 2014, 04:18:17 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: World of Goo - Wii GOTY, IGN...  (Read 1208 times)
Eco-Logic
Gaming Trend Member
Gaming Trend Senior Member

Gamertag: St0ckBroker

View Profile
« on: December 24, 2008, 02:47:11 AM »

http://bestof.ign.com/2008/wii/25.html

That is seriously crazy.  I really like WOG, but I don't think it should be the game of the year.  I personally think Mario Kart and Smash Bros. are better.

Anyway, just thought it was interesting.

Wake up.
Kevin Grey
Global Moderator

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: December 24, 2008, 03:01:33 AM »

Though I haven't played it yet, I've seen World of Goo pop up in prominent positions in a lot of people's GOTY lists so I don't find it too surprising. 
Lordnine

Lord of the Rutabagas

View Profile WWW
« Reply #2 on: December 24, 2008, 04:50:30 AM »

It’s my choice for game of the year as well.    thumbsup
Devil

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 24, 2008, 06:03:07 AM »

Either that or Boom Blox.

XBox Gamertag: Devil13Devil
Wii Number: 0305 6568 6417 2609
PS3 Thing: Slived
Old Negus

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: December 24, 2008, 06:48:12 AM »

Well, Mario Kart wasn't even the best version of Mario Kart to come out in the last 5 years and Smash Bros, though well done for what it is, doesn't appeal to everyone. I'm excited to try out World of Goo and see what all the buzz is about.

A big part of me is glad to see something win that isn't a sequel.
Caine

My cocaine

View Profile WWW
« Reply #5 on: December 24, 2008, 09:40:02 PM »

Quote from: Old Negus on December 24, 2008, 06:48:12 AM

Well, Mario Kart wasn't even the best version of Mario Kart to come out in the last 5 years and Smash Bros, though well done for what it is, doesn't appeal to everyone. I'm excited to try out World of Goo and see what all the buzz is about.

A big part of me is glad to see something win that isn't a sequel.

+1 to all three points.  hell, mario kart isn't all that different from it's ds counterpart aside from the obvious and ssbm is a perfect example of N's reliance on redoing their properties instead of revamping them like smg. 

Eco-Logic
Gaming Trend Member

Gamertag: St0ckBroker

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: December 25, 2008, 04:14:02 AM »

Point taken, and you all are right. 

I love World of Goo.

Wake up.
ibdoomed

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: December 25, 2008, 05:08:38 PM »

What are the criteria for GOTY?

I guess if style and innovation are the determining factors, World of Goo is definitely tops.

For me it would boil down to overall fun. WoG was fun but after a two hour playthrough and finishing it, I was done. I have no desire to go back and do the same things again resulting in the same outcome. Whereas I've put over 100 hours into FO3 and have finished it twice working on the 3rd now. I'm doing the same quests, sure, but the outcome varies. I'm not saying FO3 should be GOTY, I'm just saying we need to qualify the criteria and perhaps there needs to be categories for GOTY?
Tals

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: December 25, 2008, 05:43:25 PM »

I wasn't aware that fo3 was available for the wii:)

That said I personally think the wii had other games such as Mario kart that were more deserving of this award regardless how fun wog is

Currently Playing: Psyconauts, lol, wee raptr: Tals Steam: Talsworthy
Misguided
Gaming Trend Staff

Semi-acquatic egg-laying mammal of action

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: December 25, 2008, 05:58:50 PM »

Quote from: Tals on December 25, 2008, 05:43:25 PM

That said I personally think the wii had other games such as Mario kart that were more deserving of this award regardless how fun wog is

Emphasis above is mine. Could you elaborate? From what standpoint?
Personally, I think downloadable titles should be regarded separately.
I did that in the GotY thread.

Ruining language with my terrible words.
Chaz

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: December 25, 2008, 06:09:29 PM »

Why should download titles be regarded separately from retail discs? If a game is good enough to be considered for GotY, it shouldn't matter what the delivery format is.  What I'd like to see is GotY lists have a category for best downloadable, best retail, and best overall, much as there are separate genre awards.  By default, it will be more difficult for a downloadable game to compete with retail games, but it shouldn't preclude them from competing. 

Of course, this is a pet peeve of mine.  I have a similar objection to animated films being restricted from winning the Best Picture Oscar, as though they were lesser films because they don't have live actors on screen.

Tals

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: December 25, 2008, 06:13:33 PM »

Wog is to lite to be a goty IMHO. I did love it though

If your emphasis was different you will need to spell it out as this phone is limited to what it sees

Currently Playing: Psyconauts, lol, wee raptr: Tals Steam: Talsworthy
Godzilla Blitz

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: December 25, 2008, 06:15:37 PM »

I'd agree that while I liked WoG a lot, I don't think it had enough meat on it for a Game of the Year.

Happy to see that they got the award, though. Very stylish game.

Misguided
Gaming Trend Staff

Semi-acquatic egg-laying mammal of action

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: December 25, 2008, 08:16:03 PM »

Quote from: Chaz on December 25, 2008, 06:09:29 PM

Why should download titles be regarded separately from retail discs? If a game is good enough to be considered for GotY, it shouldn't matter what the delivery format is.  What I'd like to see is GotY lists have a category for best downloadable, best retail, and best overall, much as there are separate genre awards.  By default, it will be more difficult for a downloadable game to compete with retail games, but it shouldn't preclude them from competing. 

That was my intent, not to exclude them, but have a separate category to reward them.
As Tals suggested, I don't think it's reasonable to expect the best 10 dollar download to be able to compete blow for blow with the best 60 dollar retail title. Not that it couldn't happen, but I think excellence of downloadables should be rewarded on their own merits.

Ruining language with my terrible words.
Tebunker

Ask How, Ask Now, Ask me

View Profile
« Reply #14 on: December 26, 2008, 12:44:09 AM »

Quote from: Godzilla Blitz on December 25, 2008, 06:15:37 PM

I'd agree that while I liked WoG a lot, I don't think it had enough meat on it for a Game of the Year.

Why does a game have to have enough "meat" to be Game of the Year. Some of the greatest games I've played, whether video game, card game or board game have sometimes taken minutes to play/complete. I'm not saying you are wrong, but I would like to know why you feel you need more stuff/length/meat etc.

"I hate cynicism -- it's my least favorite quality and it doesn't lead anywhere. Nobody in life gets exactly what they thought they were going to get. But if you work really hard and you're kind amazing things will happen." - Conan O'Brien
Bullwinkle
Gaming Trend Staff

Watch me pull a rabbit outta my hat.

View Profile
« Reply #15 on: December 26, 2008, 03:52:09 PM »

Quote from: Tebunker on December 26, 2008, 12:44:09 AM

Why does a game have to have enough "meat" to be Game of the Year. Some of the greatest games I've played, whether video game, card game or board game have sometimes taken minutes to play/complete. I'm not saying you are wrong, but I would like to know why you feel you need more stuff/length/meat etc.

Agree wholeheartedly.  Especially after Portal last year.  That was my GOTY last year, and it took 4 - 6 hours.

That's like blaming owls because I suck at making analogies.
ibdoomed

View Profile
« Reply #16 on: December 26, 2008, 10:07:55 PM »

Quote from: Tals on December 25, 2008, 05:43:25 PM

Oops. I thought FO3 was released on all the major systems. My bad.
Godzilla Blitz

View Profile
« Reply #17 on: December 27, 2008, 10:52:39 PM »

Quote from: Tebunker on December 26, 2008, 12:44:09 AM

I think length is a tricky component to measure a game on. Board and card games, for example, are generally designed for more extended replay. You can play Carcassone in 30 minutes, but you're hardly finished with the game at that point. You can easily play hundreds of times before you tire of the game. Even within computer games, a strategy title like Civilization is designed for multiple plays. Other computer games are essentially over after one play, but that play could take 5 to 100 hours. So I think it's important to factor in "replayability" with "length" to get a decent measure of "meat" to a title.

Factoring in replay and length, World of Goo is about 10 hours long, I'd say, for the average gamer. I think this could be enough to earn a Game of the Year Award.

However, I don't think the game was brilliant or engaging to the point that I'd include it as a Game of the Year candidate. The puzzle concept is neat, sure. The music was original and wonderful. However, I thought the story was pretty fractured and weak. While the art was outstanding, the graphics were just okay. And that's all the game has. It's short compared to blockbuster titles that simply have more gameplay.

Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: