http://gamingtrend.com
September 02, 2014, 02:03:24 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Wireless controllers - good or bad?  (Read 2768 times)
farley2k
Gaming Trend Senior Member

View Profile
« on: April 25, 2005, 04:44:32 PM »

Lots of rumors that the next generation of consoles will have only wireless controllers and I wondered how people felt about that (oh and I wanted to give my opinion!)

I am really torn.  I love the freedom it gives to move around, and I like how it makes things look neat around the console/entertainment center but I am just not sold that they are that great.

For example - when playing Onimush 3 I found that I was having a terrible time with some of the combos.  I plugged in my wired controller and the problems were not there.

When playing Shadow Hearts: Covanent I had to do the game thing.  The judgement ring just seemed easier to master with a wired controler.

Most recently I have switched back to a wired controller for Jade Empire.  I was having to hit some of the buttons twice to get my commands to register.  That is really annoying in a fighting (well sort of a fighting) game.

I also had to do the same thing with God of War.  It was just much easier to pull of the combos with a wired controler

I have put in new batteries, but I don't always have a totally clear sight to the machine.  However if you have to have a totally clear view of the console (or the reciever) anyway then how great is it to even have wireless?  Just the range.  

Does this happen to anyone else?  It worries me about the next generation of consoles.

Kevin Grey
Global Moderator

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: April 25, 2005, 04:54:11 PM »

What wireless controller are you using?

Using the newer update of the Logitech PS2 controller I haven't had any of the problems you mentioned in the games you listed.  I *did* have issues with the buttons registering on the Xbox Logitech wireless though and gave up on it.  

I'm all for wireless myself.  I've had nary an issue with my Wavebird or Logitech PS2 controller and I love being able to leave them sitting on the coffee table without worrying about stepping or tripping on wires.  

Line of sight shouldn't be an issue with wireless controllers either.  I forget the technology but I think proximity is the only thing that matters.  

The *only* problem I've had with wireless is the analog button sensitivity on the Logitech isn't very good.  This is a non-issue for 99% of the games since they don't use it but I do have to switch back to a wired controller when playing the Metal Gear Solid series since they use the analog button controls.
Arkon

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 25, 2005, 05:13:35 PM »

Wavebirds are incredible, other wireless controllers I haven't had much luck with.  If they work as well as a wavebird then I am all for it.
Sarkus

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 25, 2005, 05:22:22 PM »

It all depends on the quality of the OEM wireless controllers.  If they are on par with Logitech or Nintendo's Wavebirds then they will be great.  Hopefully Sony and MS don't try to save money by going with cheaper, less capable versions.  To me, the key features needed are 1) rechargeable batteries, 2) multi-channel so you can find a clear connection, and 3) an auto power-down feature so you don't kill the controller if you forget to turn it off.

Roger: And you should know, I have no genitals.
Syndey: That's alright.  I have both.

- American Dad
Knightshade Dragon
Administrator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #4 on: April 25, 2005, 05:23:12 PM »

With dogs in the house wireless is a must-have.

Ron Burke
EiC, Director of Gaming Trend
Gamertag:
Gaming Trend
PS3 Tag: GamingTrend
farley2k

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 25, 2005, 05:48:52 PM »

Quote from: "Kevin Grey"
What wireless controller are you using?

Let me think.  

PS2 - Predator by ??? (can't remember)
Xbox - Mad Catz one.  

I wondered if the logitech ones were better.  They are twice the price (or more) so I figured they should be.

However they are also bigger.  I like the Mad Catz for the Xbox becuase it is about the size of the S controller and I like the small size.

I hope that the versions which come with the consoles will be as good as the wavebird since they would be first party controllers as well but if MS or Sony goes with an odd manufacturer they could suck.

coopasonic

View Profile WWW
« Reply #6 on: April 25, 2005, 06:05:12 PM »

I don't have any need to go wireless, so I wuold rather have the reliability (every button press counts) and lowered hassle (crap I forgot to charge the batteries when I quit playing last night) of wired controllers.

Our dogs are small so they go under the wire. slywink  I am the only gamer in th household so tangled wires aren't even a problem.

It was this moment that took the movie from being a little ho-hum to “holy shit, did that shark just eat a plane!?”
Kevin Grey
Global Moderator

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: April 25, 2005, 06:06:41 PM »

Quote from: "farley2k"
However they are also bigger. I like the Mad Catz for the Xbox becuase it is about the size of the S controller and I like the small size.

You might be thinking of the old Logitech wireless controller, at least as far as the PS2 goes.  The newer model (Precision I think?) is approximately the size of the Dual Shock with some sleeker lines and only takes 2 AA batteries.  

Like I said, I didn't care for the Logitech Xbox version.  In addition to problems with button responses I found it uncomfortable to hold.  Size-wise it seemed comparable to an S-Controller but its layout strained my hand.  Design-wise it was very similar to that supposed Xbox 360 controller picture thats floating around.
infoghost
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: April 25, 2005, 06:24:39 PM »

I found the wavebird to be FANSTASTIC (well, the response, not the design) but others I've tried have had lag, or just didn't 'feel' right.

To be fair, I've not tried any recently. But I just can't give up my PS2 dual-shocks for comfort.

Graham
Managing Editor

View Profile WWW
« Reply #9 on: April 25, 2005, 06:31:49 PM »

PS2 - Predator by ??? (can't remember)
Xbox - Mad Catz one.  

I have the Predator by Pelican for the PS2, and I like it a lot.  I haven't had any issues that I know of.

Mad Catz wireless controllers haven't been known for quality.  I have the Pelican Xbox wirless controller and like that one as well.

Partial Owner of the World Champion Green Bay Packers
farley2k

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: April 25, 2005, 06:36:28 PM »

However they are also bigger. I like the Mad Catz for the Xbox becuase it is about the size of the S controller and I like the small size.

You might be thinking of the old Logitech wireless controller, at least as far as the PS2 goes.  The newer model (Precision I think?) is approximately the size of the Dual Shock with some sleeker lines and only takes 2 AA batteries.  

Like I said, I didn't care for the Logitech Xbox version.  In addition to problems with button responses I found it uncomfortable to hold.  Size-wise it seemed comparable to an S-Controller but its layout strained my hand.  Design-wise it was very similar to that supposed Xbox 360 controller picture thats floating around.

I haven't looked for a long time so I am probably thinking of the old one.

I guess I can learn to love any controller (or at least use them).

Kevin Grey
Global Moderator

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: April 25, 2005, 06:58:49 PM »

I haven't looked for a long time so I am probably thinking of the old one.

Here's a quick comparison pick between the Logitech PS2 and the Dual Shock:

FlyingElvis
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: April 25, 2005, 07:11:10 PM »

I guess I need to get the new PS2 Logitech wireless controller. That one looks pretty sweet. The older one I have (which is huge), has analog sticks looser than a 3 dollar whore. Its only good for RPGs.

Now playing: Oblivion, X3: The Reunion
Chaz

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: April 25, 2005, 09:23:48 PM »

I played all the way through God of War with my Logitech PS2 wireless, and never had a single problem with it.

As long as the first party controllers are on par with the Logitechs/Wavebirds, I'll be very happy.  With my living room setup, even the extra long Xbox cables don't reach, and extension cables are a major pain.

Nth Power

View Profile
« Reply #14 on: April 25, 2005, 09:31:47 PM »

I've got a Pelican Predator [PS2] and have no problems.  I actually prefer it to the wired controller except with fighting games.  I popped in Tekken the other day and making quarter/half circle moves is almost impossible with the Predator.  Everything else is great.

"Those who can make you believe absurdities can make you commit atrocities" -Voltaire
XBL gamertag: NthPowr
CeeKay
Gaming Trend Staff

La-bibbida-bibba-dum! La-bibbida-bibba-do!

View Profile
« Reply #15 on: April 25, 2005, 09:53:45 PM »

I'm loving the Logitech X-Box controller I picked up a couple of months ago.  It's the perfect size and weight.   The funny thing is since I payed twice of what I would pay for a wired controller S it hasn't been hurled across the room in frustration  :twisted:   Hell, I like it so much I'm thinking of getting 3 more so I have extras if friends want to play.

Say, do multiple wireless controllers confuse each other?

Because I can,
also because I don't care what you want.
XBL: OriginalCeeKay
Wii U: CeeKay
-Lord Ebonstone-
BANNED

get naked

View Profile WWW
« Reply #16 on: April 25, 2005, 10:47:35 PM »

I'm 100% for wireless.

The Wavebird was the first good wireless controller I owned, but the Logitech PS2 controller just anihilates anything before it in terms of quality, including the Wavebird.

We're talking:

-Full rumble feature.  (Wavebird had none).
-Practically identical design to the Dual Shock.  (I actually prefer the Logitech, heh).
-Perfect, lagless transmission.  Precise, instant, and unfailing.
-50 hour battery life with rumble on.
-A whopping 500 HOUR battery life with rumble off.  (Wavebird was 30-40 hours, no rumble).

The Logitech wireless PS2 controller is simply the best gaming controller on the market, bar none.  It's probably the best PC gamepad on the market too, providing you can get a Playstation -> USB adapter at Radio Shack (costs under $10 and functions flawlessly with any controller that uses a Playstation controller port, including the Logitech Wireless).

That all being said, when it comes to Wireless, you get what you pay for.  Don't expect to shell out $20 for a MadCatz POS and have anywhere near a good experience.  Go for the namebrand (Logitech for PS2/XBox or Nintendo for GCN).  It'll cost more, but it'll actually work.

xbl tag = cthonic horror

NNNOOOOOO!!
depward

View Profile
« Reply #17 on: April 25, 2005, 10:51:04 PM »

500 hour battery life with non-rumbleness?  Color me impressed!  I'll definately look into a Logitech PS2 wireless controller then!

depward on the Playstation Network
raaaaaawwwwwwr on Xbox Live
-Lord Ebonstone-
BANNED

get naked

View Profile WWW
« Reply #18 on: April 25, 2005, 10:57:06 PM »

Quote from: "depward"
500 hour battery life with non-rumbleness?  Color me impressed!  I'll definately look into a Logitech PS2 wireless controller then!
So I've heard.  I always play with rumble on.  After a very, very long time rumble will turn off and refuse to be turned back on.  But you can still play without rumble for even more time.

I've actually never had the controller go totally dead on me.  I've had it refuse to rumble, but it's always functioned just as good as it has with fresh batteries.  After awhile I want my rumble back, though, and give it a pair of new AAs.

I've owned the controller since last October and have used six batteries on the controller, I think.  Two of which came with it.

xbl tag = cthonic horror

NNNOOOOOO!!
Kevin Grey
Global Moderator

View Profile
« Reply #19 on: April 25, 2005, 11:01:05 PM »

Quote from: "depward"

I have logged a minimum of 80 hours on my Logitech (45 hrs FFX, 35 hrs Kingdom Hearts, 13 hours GoW, 5 hours DDS, 10 hours Shadow Hearts all logged in-game) since I last put in new batteries with the rumble feature on and its still got juice.  To be fair though, KH didn't really utilize much rumble though.
Doopri

View Profile
« Reply #20 on: April 25, 2005, 11:46:11 PM »

farley i was always afraid of wireless for exactly what you said - i member when it first started gainin popularity i heard horror stories bout them not bein as responsive missin button presses etc - some of the stuff said in this thread is actually removin some of my fears which is good cause it seems like next gen WILL be wireless (if we wanna believe those pics from front page today are real - unless they expect us to plug controllers into our... nevermind)

and LE the stuff you said bout battery life is makin me not regret decision to go wireless too - i always thought it would be annoyin as hell to constantly change batteries but luckly that doesnt seem to be the case!

and im on xbox - so wireless pretty much woulda screwed me over for live communication
stiffler

View Profile WWW
« Reply #21 on: April 25, 2005, 11:56:32 PM »

Well, I'm sold on the Logitech PS2 wireless controller!

I also need to order one of those adapters from RadioShack.  My local RS was sold out.  I don't play many joystick games on the PC, but for $10 it will be nice to have.  Does it come with drivers?  If not, could somebody please link to them.  Thanks.

Xbox Live Gamertag: cstiffler
Doopri

View Profile
« Reply #22 on: April 25, 2005, 11:58:27 PM »

stiffler just go ghetto stylely and splice a controller to a usb cord smile
warning

View Profile
« Reply #23 on: April 26, 2005, 12:04:29 AM »

Quote from: "stiffler"
Well, I'm sold on the Logitech PS2 wireless controller!

I also need to order one of those adapters from RadioShack.  My local RS was sold out.  I don't play many joystick games on the PC, but for $10 it will be nice to have.  Does it come with drivers?  If not, could somebody please link to them.  Thanks.

Mine came with a driver disc (3.5" floppy!!!!) that died shortly after I copied the drivers to my hard drive.  I could email them to you if you need them.
stiffler

View Profile WWW
« Reply #24 on: April 26, 2005, 12:17:59 AM »

If I COULD go "ghetto style" I would!  I just lack the patience and technical know-how to do such a thing.  Although I DO have a PS2 controller with a cord that has been chewed through!

I appreciate the offer, warning.  I'm going to order one and see what they come with.  If I require them I will let you know.  Thanks!

Laner

Badassfully

View Profile WWW
« Reply #25 on: April 26, 2005, 01:18:52 AM »

I love wireless, but I hope that as it becomes more common, they add a button combo to turn the console on and off.  yes, I am that lazy smile
-Lord Ebonstone-
BANNED

get naked

View Profile WWW
« Reply #26 on: April 26, 2005, 01:28:12 AM »

Quote from: "Laner"
I love wireless, but I hope that as it becomes more common, they add a button combo to turn the console on and off.  yes, I am that lazy smile
That would be fantastic...

xbl tag = cthonic horror

NNNOOOOOO!!
CeeKay
Gaming Trend Staff

La-bibbida-bibba-dum! La-bibbida-bibba-do!

View Profile
« Reply #27 on: April 26, 2005, 03:37:59 AM »

Quote from: "-Lord Ebonstone-"
Quote from: "Laner"
That would be fantastic...

Don't forget a miniature robot to change the disc for you, bring you food and change your diapers!

Because I can,
also because I don't care what you want.
XBL: OriginalCeeKay
Wii U: CeeKay
disarm

my moral standing is lying down...

View Profile
« Reply #28 on: April 26, 2005, 07:29:35 AM »

Quote from: "CeeKay"
Don't forget a miniature robot to change the disc for you, bring you food and change your diapers!

ooh...like R.O.B...only better!  Cool

*Gamertag - disarm78*
Now Playing: Grand Theft Auto V
phormio
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #29 on: April 26, 2005, 05:34:28 PM »

I've got an older MadCatz Lynx Wireless for my Xbox and I just love it. I got it about the time the first wireless Logitech came out (and I bought one) and I haven't used the Logitech since. The MadCatz is extremely responsive, much better than the old Logitech, though I understand the new Logitech is much improved. Battery life is decent (don't ask me the hour count) and I've never had any LOS problems.

It's also smaller, though that wouldn't be a deal breaker for me anyway - I was one of the half dozen or so people who actually liked the BIG controllers that shipped with the launch Xboxes. And at the time it was also about $10 less than the Logitech.

The only thing I don't like about the old Lynx is that apparently they don't make it anymore, or at least I haven't seen it. I'm  really not looking forward to the day I have to replace that thing. It's been Gold Jerry...,Gold!

And I would hate to have to go back to wired.

"My fake plants died because I did not pretend to water them." --Mitch Hedberg
PaulBot

View Profile WWW
« Reply #30 on: April 27, 2005, 12:30:52 AM »

Wavebirds ROCK

CEO of the GT Post Padders Club
mytocles

View Profile
« Reply #31 on: April 27, 2005, 01:57:00 AM »

I have one each of the two Logitech versions for the XBox, plus a Nintendo Wavebird.  They all work flawlessly - around corners, through cats and furniture, fast and efficient.  About the only bad thing I could say is that the Wavebird has no auto-off (mine's older, maybe they do now), and the older Logitech is too easy to click the left analog - like when a Doom 3 monster jumps up behind you and panic ensues...  suddenly you're in crouch/ crawl mode.

I also have a Chameleon (Pelican, I think) for the PS2.  I dissed it a while back because I thought one of the triggers wasn't working.  It's fine now and I've been very happy with it, so it either fixed itself, or I made a mistake, still not sure. It was pretty cheap, too, probably because you need a screwdriver to install the batteries... I decided I didn't mind so much after I read the "6 month battery life" on the insert.

Mytocles (MY-toe-cleez)

"Of all the things I've lost, I miss my mind the most!"
- I don't remember who said it, and probably neither do they...
stiffler

View Profile WWW
« Reply #32 on: April 27, 2005, 10:47:53 PM »

I bought a "Logitech Cordless Action Controller" today.  I am hoping to find out if this is the right one, though, before I slice through the packaging.

The previous messages seem to infer that the original model was not nearly as good as the new one.  This one has packaging with a 2004 copyright date, so I assume it is the good one.  Just want to make sure!

It is the one linked to here.

Thanks!

Kevin Grey
Global Moderator

View Profile
« Reply #33 on: April 27, 2005, 11:28:31 PM »

Stiffler- that's definitely the one you want.
stiffler

View Profile WWW
« Reply #34 on: April 27, 2005, 11:32:24 PM »

Stiffler- that's definitely the one you want.

Thanks!  A brave new world of wireless gaming awaits!

Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: