http://gamingtrend.com
December 17, 2014, 11:26:51 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: [1] 2   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Winning 11  (Read 6124 times)
Devil
Gaming Trend Senior Member

View Profile
« on: January 27, 2005, 02:31:58 AM »

Anyone play on picking it up next week?

I always had a tough time with this one. On one skill level I'd be scoring all the time and winning every game then I'd bump it up to the next level and be unable to get anything in the net.

No Live kinda sucks too...

XBox Gamertag: Devil13Devil
Wii Number: 0305 6568 6417 2609
PS3 Thing: Slived
Starshifter

CINEMAGIC on XM!

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: January 27, 2005, 03:10:17 AM »

I don't think I will.  I'm not a soccer fan.  I don't even understand most of the rules.  A friend of mine whom I use to work with would swear by the Winning Eleven series saying that EA's FIFA doesn't come close to it.  He played it on the PS2 and is a huge soccer fan.

Devil - Good to see people are still alive here in the sports forum. :wink:

Any news on the hockey league with Proner?  I haven't heard from anyone for quite awhile.  Once March rolls around I'll be thinking Yankee baseball! biggrin

CINEMAGIC - Escape into the Movies!
XM Channel 76
Devil

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 27, 2005, 03:35:31 AM »

Nice to see a response!  smile

While I'm not a HUGE soccer fan, I like one team (Inter) and like it on the consoles. WE is always considered the best game but not being an afficianado of the sport, FIFA might be good enough for me. Sorta like the way people who don't know hockey can still enjoy the EA NHL games.

Speaking of hockey - I have no idea what pr0ner is up to with the league. I'm still in!

The Sports Section should start getting busy again with all the new stuff around the corner...

TheMissingLink

TML, for short.

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 27, 2005, 04:00:49 AM »

Quote from: "Devil"
I always had a tough time with this one. On one skill level I'd be scoring all the time and winning every game then I'd bump it up to the next level and be unable to get anything in the net.

I had the same problem.  It drove me crazy and I returned that god-forsaken game.  I appreciate soccer, used to play, but soccer video games?  Yuck.

TheMissingLink on PSN
Lockdown

LD

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 27, 2005, 12:28:37 PM »

No Live = You know my answer.

LD

LD

"Let your enemies fear, for a harlequin of the Laughing God dances at your side."
Devil

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 27, 2005, 03:45:49 PM »

No Live = You know my answer.

That's kinda what I'm thinking too.

I'll stick with FIFA - It's not that bad this year!

stiffler

View Profile WWW
« Reply #6 on: January 27, 2005, 11:43:55 PM »

Being a casual fan of the game (can't wait for the next World Cup!) I think I am probably best served by the FIFA titles.  EA has made an enjoyable game that is easy enough to just dive in and play, but allows for enough customization and stat-tracking to make it interesting.  It plays well and looks great.  Plus the sheer number of mods/graphics/rosters available for the PC version can't be touched.

That isn't to say there aren't better soccer games out there, but I am comfortable with FIFA and pretty much know what I am getting in each installment.

Winning Eleven has had a lot of positive buzz, but I just don't feel the need to take the blinders off until people start shouting in my ear.

Xbox Live Gamertag: cstiffler
Octavious230

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: February 02, 2005, 03:53:27 PM »

I'll definatly be picking it up. I could care less if it has live it's all about the Master League mode!! I swear I've never logged as many hours with a game as I did with Winning 11 7. I will admit that it's a very hard game but I really enjoy the challenge of it.

It makes me sad that they can't get half the licenses for the teams becuase of stupid EA but what ya gona do. I'm not a huge soccer fan but this series absoulty dystroys anything that EA has ever come out with. There isn't some cheap move that will dominate. Which has always been a trademark of every single one of there sports games.

I'll let you guys know how it is when I pick it up. ME VERY EXCITED!!!  biggrin
Devil

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: February 02, 2005, 07:58:15 PM »

IN!

After further investigation - The reviews are outstanding, I can get $20 from EB for my FIFA and INTER MILAN is in the game!!

For $20 I'll bite on the upgrade from FIFA...

Octavious230

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: February 02, 2005, 08:43:02 PM »

That's the spirit. Give the game some time it does have a hard learning curve but damn I've never had so much fun with a sports game as I have had with this series. It IS hard but it's also very very rewarding. You feel like you actually earned something when you score in this game. Picking it up tonight I don't see it disapointing though.
Devil

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: February 03, 2005, 03:26:16 AM »

Yikes!

Just as tough as I remembered - Lost to Team USA 1-0 (I was Inter). Outshot 11-0!!

Oct - Do you know of any place with downloadable Xbox rosters yet?

Octavious230

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: February 03, 2005, 01:24:10 PM »

I had a link to a really good site but it got wiped when I reloaded my computer. Let me see if I can find the site it had a really kickass message board as well. Tons of tips on how to play the game and stuff.
Devil

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: February 03, 2005, 02:20:12 PM »

Thanks! biggrin

Octavious230

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: February 03, 2005, 05:22:26 PM »

Couldn't find any files to download yet but I'm sure something will show up in the next couple of weeks. Operation Sports has a thread about it in the forums. Here's one of the sites I read last year that helped me a ton with getting the hang of the game.

www.pesfan.com
Octavious230

View Profile
« Reply #14 on: February 03, 2005, 05:30:22 PM »

Oh definatly check out this section of the site. Some of the goals are just insane. It makes you wonder how much free time these people have to get so damn good at the game.

http://www.pesfan.com/gallery/goals.html

You do have to register on the site to read the forums and stuff btw.
Devil

View Profile
« Reply #15 on: February 03, 2005, 06:01:54 PM »

Thanks, Oct, I'll check them out. Ops Sports is usually pretty good but they aren't as fanatic about soccer as some of the 'soccer only' sites.

I was reading through the manual last night and seeing all the controls made me think that this was a fighting game with a sports game name!!

The feel is still completely different from FIFA. FIFA plays more like hockey on a huge rink while WE is a different sport.

I gotta practice more.  smile

Octavious230

View Profile
« Reply #16 on: February 03, 2005, 06:50:11 PM »

You are better off just worrying about mastering the basic moves first. The amount of stuff you can do can be overwelming at first. I just focused on getting good at the basic stuff and it fell into place after a while. Of course I'm gona have to relearn it all now that I'm switching to the Xbox controller.

I think the Master league now has player aging which it didn't have last year. So this game should last well into next year for me!!! smile
TheMissingLink

TML, for short.

View Profile
« Reply #17 on: February 04, 2005, 11:53:12 PM »

Thanks a lot guys.

MGS3:SE traded in for credit towards Winning Eleven 8 today.  I had the 7th, found it frusrating and difficult, so hopefully I can get into this one.

The CG forum effect strikes again.  I am weak frown

TheMissingLink on PSN
Devil

View Profile
« Reply #18 on: February 05, 2005, 03:27:19 AM »

I had the 7th, found it frusrating and difficult, so hopefully I can get into this one.

Welcome to the party!!  :wink:

This is the exact reason I'm pissed off that this game is not on Live!! If it was guys like us could play each other and it would be a fair matchup OR we could play people who are really good and learn something.

TheMissingLink

TML, for short.

View Profile
« Reply #19 on: February 05, 2005, 04:00:53 AM »

The game's soccer strategies and whatnot are pretty damn impressive.  Just played a game against a 2-star opponent and ended up losing in penalty kicks with the score being 1-1.  

The way I scored was exactly what I was taught back when playing varsity for my high school.  It was great biggrin  Zidane nailed that sucker into the back of the net.  Beautiful.

The game looks better than I remember.  Player-faces (the one's I can recognize anyway) look supurb.  Animations are even more realistic.  You can't go charging into every tackle - this is real soccer.  Er, ahem, football.  biggrin

I hit a wall in the last version playing around with the master league...what should I do next...

TheMissingLink on PSN
Octavious230

View Profile
« Reply #20 on: February 05, 2005, 08:15:18 PM »

I'm playing level 3 in the master league right now it's pretty damn hard but not overwelming. You might want to try all the training lessons they have they definatly help a bit. I'm finding that I like the Xbox controller is actually better to play this game then the ps2 one surprisingly enough. They tightened up the controls a bit which is nice.

The Master league menus are alot more clearer this time around which is a nice change. I made my own team to start you can trade out up to three players for other ones. I killed two scrubs and took one really good player we'll see if that works out for me.

Animations are definatly cleaned up a bit this year it just looks even more fluid then before. If I can find a options file that installs all the real team names I'll be in heaven. smile
TheMissingLink

TML, for short.

View Profile
« Reply #21 on: February 05, 2005, 10:16:10 PM »

It's hard to remember all the moves Tongue

I had the goddamned sweetest goal with Trezeguet...it was beautiful.  I'll post a movie of the replay in about 10 min biggrin

TheMissingLink on PSN
TheMissingLink

TML, for short.

View Profile
« Reply #22 on: February 05, 2005, 10:37:37 PM »

Well I got my goals mixed up...I'm especially proud of my Henry goal:

www.wsu.edu/~abullock/henry.mov

After about a million attempts, I finally got that begin-holding-B-then-hit-L+A to feint a kick move.  And boy did that Brazilian keeper look silly.

And just because I promised a Trezeguet goal, here's his nice one:

www.wsu.edu/~abullock/trez.mov

So there you go!  YAY!  

BTW, two stars is too easy.  The defenders don't react well to wing attacks and the cpu offense is pretty damn predictable.  Just like last year, I swear, when I bump it up to three stars I won't be able to score.  I just know it.

TheMissingLink on PSN
Devil

View Profile
« Reply #23 on: February 05, 2005, 10:59:16 PM »

Nice goals!!

pr0ner

Go Flames go!

View Profile
« Reply #24 on: February 06, 2005, 08:15:04 AM »

Anyone want to post some move combinations?  I rented the game, so naturally, no instruction manual.

Played 3 games so far.  Won the first, 1-0 in PKs.  Lost the second, 1-0 in PKs.  Won the 3rd, 1-0 in regulation with a Landon Donovan goal in the 4th minute.  But, not knowing any of the "fancy" moves, everything's pretty pedestrain so far.  But it's an awesome game!  And I didn't let the other team (China) score at all beyond the PKs.

Mike

XBox Live Gamertag: Pr0ner
TheMissingLink

TML, for short.

View Profile
« Reply #25 on: February 06, 2005, 09:06:27 AM »

Jab the right analog stick twice in the direction you're running for a double feint...hit the black button twice for another...rotate the stick for a little spin-o-rama biggrin

A bit more tricky...start holding the B button but then immediately hit the L button and A together.  Fake kick.  Works great for me.

TheMissingLink on PSN
Devil

View Profile
« Reply #26 on: February 06, 2005, 06:29:17 PM »

Started my Master League on 3 stars and played 5 games:

Lost 1-0
Lost 1-0
Lost 1-0
Tie  0-0
Lost 1-0

CAN'T SCORE!!!!

More practice for me!

Octavious230

View Profile
« Reply #27 on: February 07, 2005, 04:15:54 PM »

You can also do a fake kick by hitting the kick and pass button at almost the same time. (You need to hit the kick button first) There are a ton of moves did you check gamefaqs? They usually have a list of all the moves. If you don't see it listed under Winning Eleven try under PES4 or PES3 that's the european version. I forget what number there up to now though.
Octavious230

View Profile
« Reply #28 on: February 07, 2005, 04:26:04 PM »

Here's the list of all the moves. The link on the buttom of that page will connect you to more moves. http://www.pesmoves.com/
Devil

View Profile
« Reply #29 on: February 08, 2005, 01:26:10 AM »

11 games in and still no goals... :cry:  :x

Lockdown

LD

View Profile
« Reply #30 on: February 08, 2005, 12:44:28 PM »

Don't you have trouble scoring in hockey games also...

...and football games too, now that I think of it.

:idea:   IDEA   :idea:

Perhaps, just maybe, on a slim outside chance, do ya' think maybe the problem here is YOU ?

Just a wild thought.

LD   Tongue

LD

"Let your enemies fear, for a harlequin of the Laughing God dances at your side."
Octavious230

View Profile
« Reply #31 on: February 08, 2005, 03:02:43 PM »

Octavious230

View Profile
« Reply #32 on: February 08, 2005, 03:06:13 PM »

What difficulty you playing on Devil? I'm playing on 3 star and while it's damn hard to score a goal I don't find it impossible. You definatly need to pass around alot instead of brining up the ball with one player. For now I would focus on get the ball down the wings and then do crosses in front of the goal.

If you playing with a team of chumps your gona want to do low crosses until you get better players. I think it's triple X to do a low cross.
pr0ner

Go Flames go!

View Profile
« Reply #33 on: February 08, 2005, 04:00:10 PM »

I had my first 2 goal game on the 3 star difficulty last night.  It required changing my formation to a 3-4-3, but I don't care.  It sprang forwards a bit more and led to a couple of really nice goals.

Mike

XBox Live Gamertag: Pr0ner
Devil

View Profile
« Reply #34 on: February 08, 2005, 04:15:35 PM »

I'm playing on 3 star - and I know it's me!

2 star I'd score 3+ a game.

In hockey it's the team I use more than my lack of skills.

skystride

View Profile
« Reply #35 on: February 11, 2005, 06:38:37 PM »

Devil, I'm only doing slightly better than you in master league 3 stars.  In about 10 games I have 1 loss and 9 ties.  I'm doing very well in defence but I can't get a goal.  The one time I scored I screamed out loud.  That's the difference beween WE8 and FIFA, I don't wake up the neighbours while playing FIFA smile  I'm hoping though that it will get slightly easier as soon as I can trade for a decent striker (and I get more practice).  

I'm slowly getting more chances at goal, side attacks seem to work the best.  Often if you run along the sidelines, the computer will just knock it out and you still keep possesion.  The double tap cross (B) has worked well for me in creating decent chances.  Even though I'm using the most offensive formation, defence still seems solid.  I used to rely a lot on double teaming button (X) but I'm getting better at 1on1 situation with A and B buttons only.

Challenge training is a brilliant feature in helping to learn the game without having to memorize the manual.  Earn a few stars in there and you will see immediate pay-off when playing a game.

So far I'm really enjoying the game even though I am not a huge soccer fan (I just like to watch the World Cup).
Devil

View Profile
« Reply #36 on: February 11, 2005, 11:18:42 PM »

Sky - We should really play against each other! I'm soooo pissed this isn't online!!

I still haven't scored but I'm slowing down a bit more and getting more chances. Eventually I'll break through!!  biggrin

TheMissingLink

TML, for short.

View Profile
« Reply #37 on: February 12, 2005, 10:31:42 AM »

stiffler and me got so distraught we couldn't play a soccer game online that we went and bought Fifa 2005...WHICH isn't half bad!  Fun stuff online!

TheMissingLink on PSN
Devil

View Profile
« Reply #38 on: February 12, 2005, 02:41:07 PM »

I liked FIFA! I could score, but I traded it in to get WE.

Should I/someone be startnig a FIFA Street thread?

DONE!!

skystride

View Profile
« Reply #39 on: February 14, 2005, 03:28:08 PM »

Had an awesome time playing 4 player co-op this weekend.  Kicked ass at 2 stars so we moved up to 3.  I thought we would get slaughtered considering the other 3 didn't have WE experience but we held our own.  Didn't win a game but kept it within 1 goal and had our chances at scoring.

Oh I won my 1st game in ML, 3-1!  All 3 penalty shots, heh only way I can get a goal so far smile  At least I'm finally getting in scoring positions so much so that the computer is fouling me in the penalty box.
Pages: [1] 2   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: