http://gamingtrend.com
November 26, 2014, 01:50:45 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Windows Vista - 40 page preview  (Read 3015 times)
Knightshade Dragon
Administrator
Gaming Trend Senior Member

View Profile WWW
« on: June 01, 2006, 11:29:40 AM »

http://www.tomshardware.com/2006/05/31/windows_vista/

There are some awesome upgrades in Vista!  Color me shocked.  I saw a preview at E3 but was more focused on the gaming side.  This looks like it might be worth the bloat...scary.  I need to go have my head checked.

What about you guys?  Vista? Yay? Nay?

Ron Burke
EiC, Director of Gaming Trend
Gamertag:
Gaming Trend
PS3 Tag: GamingTrend
Arkon

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: June 01, 2006, 12:05:12 PM »

I am unsure at this point.  My system is a bit on the old side and not sure I will have the money to buy/build a new one any time soon.  I would like to upgrade to Vista, but only time will tell.
CrayolaSmoker

Sponge Bath Slut

View Profile WWW
« Reply #2 on: June 01, 2006, 01:48:09 PM »

I'm thinkin' it'll be awhile.  I got XP running on my MacBook Pro this weekend, and it's working quite well for me as a gaming platform (the sole reason I went the BootCamp route in the first place).  Until games I want start requiring Vista, I'm set.

And let me tell you, the first time you see the XP loading screen and hear the Windows startup noise coming out of a Mac... it's downright disturbing.

Wii: 1429 3414 0674 4114 | 360: CrayolaSmokerGT
smokingcrayolas.net | surrogacy blog
Clay

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 01, 2006, 02:09:05 PM »

Just out of curiousity, how do right-click with XP running on a Mac?

One other thing -- InkBall is not a new game.  It is a Tablet PC game.  I've had it on my tablet for several years.

xbox live: nude rick james
DamageInc

Starts with s and ends with litting their throats

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 01, 2006, 02:19:50 PM »

It will be a necessity for the hard core PC Gamer as DirectX 10 will not be available on XP.

That said I will probably wait almost a year before upgrading to it. That should be around the time games start really using the new API.

The freaks come out at nine and it's twenty to ten
whiteboyskim
Senior Staff Writer

Hard partier

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: June 01, 2006, 02:39:04 PM »

Quote from: "DamageInc"
It will be a necessity for the hard core PC Gamer as DirectX 10 will not be available on XP.

That said I will probably wait almost a year before upgrading to it. That should be around the time games start really using the new API.

Not to mention the normal "wait 18 months from when MS releases a product to when they start fixing the bugs" window that goes with every MS OS release. slywink

Behold the glory of my new blog!
Filmmaking is vision plus faith plus balls, all 3 of which Hollywood knows little about.
Destructor
Special Project Group

▲▲▼▼◄►◄►B A Start

View Profile WWW
« Reply #6 on: June 01, 2006, 03:17:27 PM »

Quote from: "whiteboyskim"
Quote from: "DamageInc"

Not to mention the normal "wait 18 months from when MS releases a product to when they start fixing the bugs" window that goes with every MS OS release. slywink

Agreed on both counts. Unless something comes out that's absolutely necessary for my gaming life to continue at launch, I'll be holding off on Vista for a while. I just don't see the reason for it.

"All opinions posted are my own, and not those of my employers, who are appalled."
Laner

Badassfully

View Profile WWW
« Reply #7 on: June 01, 2006, 03:53:31 PM »

Quote from: "Clay"

CTRL+Click or SHIFT+CTRL+Click, etc.  Or just plug in a two button mouse
CrayolaSmoker

Sponge Bath Slut

View Profile WWW
« Reply #8 on: June 01, 2006, 04:37:45 PM »

Quote from: "Clay"

I'm sure there's a key command that'll let you do it, but when I'm gaming or doing graphic design I tend to have a mouse plugged in.  All the USB mice I have are two-button mice designed for Windows, so it's never been an issue.

Wii: 1429 3414 0674 4114 | 360: CrayolaSmokerGT
smokingcrayolas.net | surrogacy blog
Dreamshadow

View Profile WWW
« Reply #9 on: June 01, 2006, 05:04:04 PM »

I'm torn...on one hand, I don't want to bother upgrading to Vista...but I just built a 64  bit system, and want to put it to good use.  *sigh*

Tom "Dreamshadow" Tjarks
Aunt Wu: Care to hear your fortune, handsome?
Iroh: At my age there is really only one big surprise left, and I'd just as soon leave it a mystery.
whiteboyskim
Senior Staff Writer

Hard partier

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: June 01, 2006, 06:34:21 PM »

Quote from: "Dreamshadow"
I'm torn...on one hand, I don't want to bother upgrading to Vista...but I just built a 64  bit system, and want to put it to good use.  *sigh*

Wait for the next OS, Blackcomb, to see the majority of advantages for that. Especially considering they moved the new file system WinFS back from Vista to the new OS.

Filmmaking is vision plus faith plus balls, all 3 of which Hollywood knows little about.
Destructor
Special Project Group

▲▲▼▼◄►◄►B A Start

View Profile WWW
« Reply #11 on: June 01, 2006, 07:05:19 PM »

A very cool look at the new OS. Lots of little changes for us XP users, but they seem to be mostly good things.

Still have no intention of getting it at launch.

"All opinions posted are my own, and not those of my employers, who are appalled."
Sarkus

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: June 01, 2006, 08:07:32 PM »

Quote from: "Destructor"
Agreed on both counts. Unless something comes out that's absolutely necessary for my gaming life to continue at launch, I'll be holding off on Vista for a while. I just don't see the reason for it.

From what I understand, MS is going to try and make Vista absolutely necessary for gamers as quickly as they can.  By taking a "retail advocate" position for PC gaming, they will likely be able to very quickly push developers into "Vista only" or "Vista enhanced" territory.

Roger: And you should know, I have no genitals.
Syndey: That's alright.  I have both.

- American Dad
Dreamshadow

View Profile WWW
« Reply #13 on: June 01, 2006, 08:08:41 PM »

Quote from: "Sarkus"
Quote from: "Destructor"

From what I understand, MS is going to try and make Vista absolutely necessary for gamers as quickly as they can.  By taking a "retail advocate" position for PC gaming, they will likely be able to very quickly push developers into "Vista only" or "Vista enhanced" territory.

This sounds familiar...oh yes, we heard it not long after Windows 95 came out.  MS paid a lot of publishing houses to make Win95 games rather than DOS based ones.

Tom "Dreamshadow" Tjarks
Iroh: At my age there is really only one big surprise left, and I'd just as soon leave it a mystery.
Nth Power

View Profile
« Reply #14 on: June 01, 2006, 10:58:05 PM »

Anyone know if current PC games are all compatible with Vista?

"Those who can make you believe absurdities can make you commit atrocities" -Voltaire
XBL gamertag: NthPowr
Knightshade Dragon
Administrator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #15 on: June 02, 2006, 01:12:03 AM »

Quote from: "Nth Power"
Anyone know if current PC games are all compatible with Vista?

Heh....funny you ask.  The only games that I've read about that do not work with XP use Starforce.  The protection protects it from working....kinda like it does now. slywink

Ron Burke
Gamertag:
Gaming Trend
Dreamshadow

View Profile WWW
« Reply #16 on: June 02, 2006, 01:18:43 AM »

So are you implying that pubs may not have been dropping Starforce because of user complaint, but instead due to a ramp of publicity and MS wanting to get titles onto Vista?

*thinks about it*  Argh..the timing is just so wrong all of a sudden for these little bits of news.  ITS A GLOBAL CONSPIRACY TO KEEP RUSSIA FROM MAKING MORE TETRIS TITLES!!!!!

*pant* *pant*

Tom "Dreamshadow" Tjarks
Slipblade
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #17 on: June 02, 2006, 09:31:51 AM »

So are you implying that pubs may not have been dropping Starforce because of user complaint, but instead due to a ramp of publicity and MS wanting to get titles onto Vista?

Hmm interesting question indead.  :shock:

I would not mind installing it to see how it works.  Reading on it helps a little but playing with it, well is alot more fun  :lol:
Knightshade Dragon
Administrator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #18 on: June 02, 2006, 09:59:26 AM »

I'm reading a few other articles and they are stating that it isn't such a pig as some folks are making it out to be.  As Slipblade put it though, seeing it for myself is the only way to truly answer that question.

Ron Burke
Gamertag:
Gaming Trend
farley2k

View Profile
« Reply #19 on: June 02, 2006, 03:48:53 PM »

After reading that whole article it seems like Vista is pointless for gamers - except for DirectX 10.  

The changes

Windows interface changes...which oddly are just things MACs have been able to do for a long time.

IP6 - great and nice but until all the routers, switches, etc. in the world support IP6 this will be unused.  

New games.  Big whoop.  (although I am addicted to Freecell)

More interface improvments concerning actually telling you what the heck is going on with windows.  Tha is nice but that isn't really a big enough change to buy an OS.

Generally I think Vista is a lot of pretty stuff which means nothing really.

Purge
Gaming Trend Staff

View Profile WWW
« Reply #20 on: June 02, 2006, 07:09:55 PM »

*thinks about it*  Argh..the timing is just so wrong all of a sudden for these little bits of news.  ITS A GLOBAL CONSPIRACY TO KEEP RUSSIA FROM MAKING MORE TETRIS TITLES!!!!!

*pant* *pant*

KD, time to up his meds.. he's making sense again.

"If it weren't for Philo T. Farnsworth, inventor of television, we'd still be eating frozen radio dinners." - Johnny Carson
Dreamshadow

View Profile WWW
« Reply #21 on: June 02, 2006, 08:03:14 PM »

Quote from: "Purge"

*pant* *pant*

KD, time to up his meds.. he's making sense again.

It's true...MS has seen the apocalypse...and it consists of square blocks falling upon us!!!

Thanks Purge...you just made my day.

Tom "Dreamshadow" Tjarks
drifter

View Profile
« Reply #22 on: June 02, 2006, 09:23:00 PM »

IP6 - great and nice but until all the routers, switches, etc. in the world support IP6 this will be unused.

They pretty much already do and so does WinXP
Slipblade
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #23 on: June 02, 2006, 10:36:25 PM »

Well I "found" a copy of the latest Beta 2 and installed on my main pc (a second hard drive) and what I discovered so far is...

it looks "pretty" frown
Destructor
Special Project Group

▲▲▼▼◄►◄►B A Start

View Profile WWW
« Reply #24 on: June 02, 2006, 11:53:27 PM »

It's true...MS has seen the apocalypse...and it consists of square blocks falling upon us!!!

Great. Now I'll be huming the old GB Tetris theme song in my head the rest of the night. biggrin

unbreakable
« Reply #25 on: June 03, 2006, 12:03:32 AM »

I just got Windows 2005 Media Center, and it's freaking awesome.  Just by including that into Vista, they are adding a huge amount of value.

I was really interested in seeing what they could do with WinFS, but I heard the show-stopper issues were using it over a network.  And, since MS is mainly focused on the business market... MS knows who butters their bread.

I think Vista is going to be the most significant event in operating systems since Windows 95.  I've always thought it was amusing (and extremely geeky) to be looking forward to an operating system, but just the same... I'm looking forward to Vista.
unbreakable
« Reply #26 on: June 03, 2006, 12:06:43 AM »

Quote from: "drifter"

They pretty much already do and so does WinXP

I believe IP6 is a separate protocol stack at the moment.

IP6 is backward compatible with IP4, and I may be wrong, but I think their intention is to use IP6 as the default protocol.
hitbyambulance

View Profile WWW
« Reply #27 on: June 03, 2006, 08:05:12 AM »

a lot changes in 7 years!  i now care more about new linux distros...
Purge
Gaming Trend Staff

View Profile WWW
« Reply #28 on: June 03, 2006, 12:11:52 PM »

Thanks Purge...you just made my day.

biggrin  Your falling blocks remind me of the space invasion on earth in Futurama...

(fully misquoted due to lack of memory and abundance of headache)
"Troops: stop, drop altitute, reverse direction and speed up!"

I'm running it; it's nice. The difference between beta2 of XP and RC2 is significant; I expect the final product to be different as well. This OS should run faster and smoother, and take advantage of multi-core processors (such as mine). It would be nice if they could have integrated 32bit architecture into the 64bit  version; I only have the 32bit version installed right now. I'll be getting the 64bit version sometime next week and I'll post my findings.

(We have TechNet enterprise at work; this gives us beta versions to play with).

If you guys want a taste of the IE version, go to www.microsoft.com/ie and install the 7.0 beta 2. It's nice, and I've had almost no issue with site compatibility.

On page 7 they talk about protected mode; this does not exist for the IE7 beta on XP... this may be one of the BIG reasons Vista is being rolled out. It seems small, but it's quite significant. Also note that the local zone does NOT have protected mode.

"If it weren't for Philo T. Farnsworth, inventor of television, we'd still be eating frozen radio dinners." - Johnny Carson
Purge
Gaming Trend Staff

View Profile WWW
« Reply #29 on: June 03, 2006, 12:35:42 PM »

the preview was pathetic. It covered more about things like windows games (yuck) than it did on control panels and basic interface.

For one, you can now see your drive performance from the manage system option ( it runs an io test and you get to see drive performance). I've only played with the 32bit for an hour or two.. MAYBE.

500 hours? Unlikely.

whiteboyskim
Senior Staff Writer

Hard partier

View Profile
« Reply #30 on: June 03, 2006, 01:25:36 PM »

Quote from: "unbreakable"
I was really interested in seeing what they could do with WinFS, but I heard the show-stopper issues were using it over a network.

Which is why they moved it to their next OS. smile Vista strikes me as primarily a GUI overall while incorporating features into their system that all of their competitors have used for the past few years.

Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: