http://gamingtrend.com
October 25, 2014, 10:30:42 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: [1] 2   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Will you make the move to 7.1?  (Read 2358 times)
Ridah
Senior Staff Writer
Gaming Trend Senior Member

View Profile
« on: January 15, 2008, 05:03:38 AM »

I was reading an article that came out today at IGN talking about 7.1 surround sound for gaming. In the article it reads that THX announced the upcoming Prototype game would be the first game to support Neural-THX Surround. Here's what THX says about 7.1 in gaming:

"Game developers and consumers alike are recognizing the importance of accurate surround sound to the overall game experience, and the move to 7.1 surround represents a natural evolution of game audio," said Dr. Mark Tuffy, games director at THX Ltd. "The Prototype storyline and use of surround sound elements make it the perfect fit for 7.1 gameplay."

The article also mentions THX saying that a recent Nielsen survey shows that more than 48 percent of Xbox 360 and 54 percent of PS3 consoles are connected to multi-channel home theater systems. Neural-THX Surround is now being integrated into most new receivers.

I'm pretty sure that my current receiver only supports 5.1 because, well, I simply can't plug any more speakers in anywhere. The article got me thinking about whether I'm going to be willing to upgrade to a new 7.1 system if more games beyond Prototype begin supporting it, and whether there will be a large difference or not. Does anyone have any current 7.1 surround experience with their home theater setup?

Sean Lama
Senior Staff Editor, GamingTrend
EngineNo9

I said good day, sir!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1 on: January 15, 2008, 05:13:08 AM »

I'd have to make the move to 5.1 first...

Sandwiches do fix everything.
CeeKay
Gaming Trend Staff

La-bibbida-bibba-dum! La-bibbida-bibba-do!

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 15, 2008, 05:15:48 AM »

maybe eventually but for now I can deal with the TV speakers.  maybe if I can get a receiver and a pair of 7.1 headphones it may be quicker.

Because I can,
also because I don't care what you want.
XBL: OriginalCeeKay
Wii U: CeeKay
WinoMcCougarstein

View Profile WWW
« Reply #3 on: January 15, 2008, 05:26:40 AM »

Maybe when I find a new job and a new living arrangement.

Kevin Grey
Global Moderator

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 15, 2008, 05:42:58 AM »

I had a 7.1 setup (Dolby Digital EX and DTS ES) several years ago.  It was neat and all but when I moved and my new living room arrangement made putting two rear centers up difficult, it was rather easy to ditch.  I have no plans to return to 7.1 anytime soon.  5.1 does just fine by me. 
gellar

I'm a dolphin!

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 15, 2008, 06:23:12 AM »

My 3 year old receiver supports 7.1, but I only run 5.1 on it.  I figure there is diminishing returns once you get past that point, and honestly, 5 quality speakers are almost certainly going to be better than 7 mediocre ones.  The price point gets way too high when we're talking 7 speakers.

gellar
kronovan

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: January 15, 2008, 11:01:49 AM »

I think the move to HDTV offers far more bang for the buck than the jump to 7.1 surround sound. Since a number of people are still using SDTV's, it's going to be a while before 7.1 gains popularity. I also think the 2 extra speakers are bit too much for many people to accomodate. At a minimum it's probably going to need the arrival of low cost GHz wireless speakers before it takes off. I've personally had 3 different 5.1 systems now for the past 6 years and have only had brief thoughts about moving to 7.1.
Purge
Gaming Trend Staff

View Profile WWW
« Reply #7 on: January 15, 2008, 11:43:51 AM »

I have space limitation that has me sitting at 5.1; I look forward to 7.1 when I can use it (I have the other speakers, but as people have mentioned placement is costly).
« Last Edit: January 15, 2008, 01:19:01 PM by Purge » Logged

"If it weren't for Philo T. Farnsworth, inventor of television, we'd still be eating frozen radio dinners." - Johnny Carson
Destructor
Special Project Group

▲▲▼▼◄►◄►B A Start

View Profile WWW
« Reply #8 on: January 15, 2008, 01:07:37 PM »

What's the difference between 5.1 and 7.1 anyway?

And to answer the question - I'd have to move my gaming center entirely for me to even think of going beyond 5.1. It's a very tight fit as it is, and far from optimal.

"All opinions posted are my own, and not those of my employers, who are appalled."
Kevin Grey
Global Moderator

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: January 15, 2008, 01:41:32 PM »

Quote from: Destructor on January 15, 2008, 01:07:37 PM

What's the difference between 5.1 and 7.1 anyway?

The addition of 2 rear center channels. 
Purge
Gaming Trend Staff

View Profile WWW
« Reply #10 on: January 15, 2008, 01:46:00 PM »

here's 5.1:

Left Front (1)                   Centre(3)                      Right Front (2)             Sub (.1)
   |   \                             /       \                             /   |                       _____
    ----                            -------                            ----                       |      |
                                                                                                        |____|

__ ________  __
                                |  |              |  |
  /`-.                         |  |________ |  |                      .-`\
 |__/                         |_____________|                      \__|
Left Surr (4)                                                         Right Surr (5)

The two Surround speakers should be toed in towards the "sweet spot" as should the front speakers, however they can also be pointed at a wall to diffuse the sound to create a more ambient sound source. They can be a little behind the listener, however optimal placement is right on each side of the listener. in 5.1 you can set them a little back. Your receiver generally has "Distance" controls... SET THESE UP. biggrin

The sub should be placed on the floor and nearest a corner (as dense solids transmit low frequency sound better than air and it gives you the "feel" of the sound); there should be no "directional" sound noticable from the sub. If there is, you need to fix that.

here's 6.1/7.1:

Left Front (1)                   Centre(3)                      Right Front (2)             Sub (.1)
   |   \                             /       \                             /   |                       _____
    ----                            -------                            ----                       |      |
                                                                                                        |____|

__                          __ ________  __                        __
 |   \                        |  |              |  |                      /   |
 |__/                        |  |________ |  |                      \__|
Left Surr (4)              |_____________|                   Right Surr (5)

----                              ------                              ----
  |    /                              \      /                              \    |
Left Rear (6)                      Rear (6)                     Right Rear (7)
 (7.1)                              (6.1 only)                           (7.1)

The surround side speakers can be moved up a bit, and the rear speakers should be placed behind the listeners. A 6.1 setup has a single rear centre channel, the 7.1 uses left/right instead. Most 7.1's (that I've seen) can be stepped down to a 6.1.
« Last Edit: January 15, 2008, 01:47:56 PM by Purge » Logged

"If it weren't for Philo T. Farnsworth, inventor of television, we'd still be eating frozen radio dinners." - Johnny Carson
ATB

Thanks for everything, Ryan. 1979-2013

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: January 15, 2008, 01:48:52 PM »

I have 6.1 but not very many movies/game support it.  5.1 seems to be the defacto and I bet it's a LONG time before anyone supports 7.1.
JCC

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: January 15, 2008, 01:50:09 PM »

Not in my current house. Almost certainly after my wife and I buy our next house. Given that we have 2 houses to sell and a mountain of debit to eliminate first, it may be a while.

-John

XBox Live ID: "JCC Davros"
Kevin Grey
Global Moderator

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: January 15, 2008, 01:50:54 PM »

Quote from: ATB on January 15, 2008, 01:48:52 PM

I have 6.1 but not very many movies/game support it.  5.1 seems to be the defacto and I bet it's a LONG time before anyone supports 7.1.

The new sound formats on HD-DVD and Bluray  (Dolby TrueHD and DTS MA) are 7.1 formats with Dolby TrueHD currently getting lots of support there.   
Purge
Gaming Trend Staff

View Profile WWW
« Reply #14 on: January 15, 2008, 01:55:10 PM »

As it stands your games / movies send their signal to the receiver. IF the receiver has 7.1 it will use it. If you are unsure if your 7.1 setup is using all 7 speakers, there should be a display on the front that shows the active speakers.

Laner

Badassfully

View Profile WWW
« Reply #15 on: January 15, 2008, 02:21:35 PM »

I'm building a new house with 5.1 wiring.  No way I'm going to 7.1 any time soon.
Jag

View Profile
« Reply #16 on: January 15, 2008, 02:36:54 PM »

I already went to 7.1 with my Onkyo 705. It sounds so sweet.
Calvin

President of G.R.O.S.S.

View Profile
« Reply #17 on: January 15, 2008, 02:48:51 PM »

5.1 on my next upgrade.Maybe...no way I would spend the extra cash and try to squeeze in 5.1.
Arkon

View Profile
« Reply #18 on: January 15, 2008, 02:50:03 PM »

I just use the TV speakers and that is fine for me.
olaf

View Profile
« Reply #19 on: January 15, 2008, 02:55:16 PM »

I'd love to go 5.1 or 7.1 but the speaker wiring thing is just too much for me.  Too much work (or too expensive) to make it look good.
The Grue

You are likely to be eaten by a grue.

View Profile
« Reply #20 on: January 15, 2008, 03:40:06 PM »

I'm not that interested in it.  Nobody really seems to support it, despite the fact that it has been around for a while and I almost thing that 7 speakers is overkill.

XBox Live ID: The Grue
Playstation Network Name: TheGrue
Purge
Gaming Trend Staff

View Profile WWW
« Reply #21 on: January 15, 2008, 03:58:31 PM »

Monoprice.com FTW on price.

kathode

View Profile
« Reply #22 on: January 15, 2008, 04:51:29 PM »

Going from two speakers to 5.1 is a big jump and sounds great.  I just can't see two extra speakers on top of that adding that much.
Purge
Gaming Trend Staff

View Profile WWW
« Reply #23 on: January 15, 2008, 04:53:13 PM »

It does. Positional audio is much stronger with less "foggy" areas.

kathode

View Profile
« Reply #24 on: January 15, 2008, 05:15:16 PM »

Quote from: Purge on January 15, 2008, 04:53:13 PM

Wow, sounds great.
Knightshade Dragon
Administrator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #25 on: January 15, 2008, 05:24:29 PM »

Quote from: kathode on January 15, 2008, 05:15:16 PM

Wow, sounds great.

Badoom TISS!  He'll be here all week folks.

Has there been many movies with better than 5.1?  I think Blade 2 was the only movie I have seen that in.  Do the HD/Blu Ray formats support that?

Ron Burke
EiC, Director of Gaming Trend
Gamertag:
Gaming Trend
PS3 Tag: GamingTrend
Kevin Grey
Global Moderator

View Profile
« Reply #26 on: January 15, 2008, 05:35:06 PM »

Quote from: Knightshade Dragon on January 15, 2008, 05:24:29 PM

Quote from: kathode on January 15, 2008, 05:15:16 PM

Wow, sounds great.

Badoom TISS!  He'll be here all week folks.

Has there been many movies with better than 5.1?  I think Blade 2 was the only movie I have seen that in.  Do the HD/Blu Ray formats support that?

On DVD not too much.  There were quite a few titles back around 2001/2002 (which is when Blade 2 hit) that used it (including at least one of the LOTR films IIRC) but DVD producers seemed to lose interest in it and I don't think it's supported much anymore.  There used to be a list floating around of the supported movies but I haven't seen it in a while.

The new audio formats in use by HD-DVD and Blu-ray (Dolby TrueHD and DTS HD MA) *are* 7.1 formats, however, and seem to be getting a lot more support. 
Farscry

View Profile
« Reply #27 on: January 15, 2008, 06:39:13 PM »

5.1 is awesome enough for most for now, and for apartment-dwellers like me (moved from a house to an apartment last fall, I hope it's very temporary!), .1 makes for complaints from the neighbors anyway, and surround sound isn't that great when it's not turned up enough to be immersive. icon_wink

Purge - You have unlocked an Achievement!
You are now of the rank reprobate
Ridah
Senior Staff Writer

View Profile
« Reply #28 on: January 15, 2008, 06:47:29 PM »

Well, I've been using a 5.1 surround system for my gaming for a good 4-5 years now so when it's time to upgrade (which may be soon since my receiver is acting up lately) I'll have to seriously consider purchasing a 7.1 receiver. My only concern is the 3 extra wires I'll have running across the room behind me, it's already a bit annoying with two.

Sean Lama
Caine

My cocaine

View Profile WWW
« Reply #29 on: January 15, 2008, 06:56:08 PM »

in wall 5.1 setup, so no.  a 7.1 system isn't all that doable right now.  however, a newer receiver that supports hdmi and 7.1 would be sweet.  i won't be going crazy with it for some time though.  kids make external wiring impossible.

kronovan

View Profile
« Reply #30 on: January 15, 2008, 07:35:20 PM »

Quote from: ATB on January 15, 2008, 01:48:52 PM

My understanding is that Dolby Digital Ex and DTS Es both support 6.1. I've always been so blown away by the quality of 5.1 DTS DVD's with silver bit mastering, that I can't imagine needing anything better.
biggercup

View Profile WWW
« Reply #31 on: January 15, 2008, 07:54:10 PM »

Even 5.1 set up is too much for my small room.
Purge
Gaming Trend Staff

View Profile WWW
« Reply #32 on: January 15, 2008, 07:56:33 PM »

There is no such thing as too many speakers. biggrin

Oh, and if wiring is a concern, go get banana clips, wall faceplates, and run everything behind the drywall.

Rowdy

View Profile
« Reply #33 on: January 15, 2008, 10:00:39 PM »

Quote from: Purge on January 15, 2008, 07:56:33 PM

Oh, and if wiring is a concern, go get banana clips, wall faceplates, and run everything behind the drywall.

So, your suggestion would be to demolish all the walls in your media room, wire it up for 7.1, then put the walls back up?  Somehow I think banana clips and wall faceplates aren't the big issue in that scenario.
kronovan

View Profile
« Reply #34 on: January 15, 2008, 10:01:01 PM »

Quote from: Purge on January 15, 2008, 07:56:33 PM

Wiring is the least of my concerns, where to put the extra 2 speakers is a huge problem. I'd literally have to suspend them from the ceiling.
kathode

View Profile
« Reply #35 on: January 15, 2008, 10:06:41 PM »

Quote from: kronovan on January 15, 2008, 10:01:01 PM

Wiring is the least of my concerns, where to put the extra 2 speakers is a huge problem. I'd literally have to suspend them from the ceiling.

Check out the attached pic I saw once on GAF for some inspiration smile
CeeKay
Gaming Trend Staff

La-bibbida-bibba-dum! La-bibbida-bibba-do!

View Profile
« Reply #36 on: January 16, 2008, 01:30:15 AM »

Quote from: kathode on January 15, 2008, 10:06:41 PM

I'd keep on forgetting where they are and walking into them in the dark.

Because I can,
also because I don't care what you want.
XBL: OriginalCeeKay
Wii U: CeeKay
kronovan

View Profile
« Reply #37 on: January 16, 2008, 03:29:55 AM »

Quote from: kathode on January 15, 2008, 10:06:41 PM

Yikes! That'd go over in my home about as well as one of the giant spiderwebs in the Resident Evil mansion. You could get into some serious danger with that setup if you decided to get drunk while playing games.
Ridah
Senior Staff Writer

View Profile
« Reply #38 on: January 16, 2008, 06:27:09 AM »

Yeah, accidently kicking the satellites occasionally is one thing but banging my head into them isn't gonna work for me.

Sean Lama
Purge
Gaming Trend Staff

View Profile WWW
« Reply #39 on: January 16, 2008, 12:22:53 PM »

you can mount them to the ceiling as well.

Pages: [1] 2   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: