http://gamingtrend.com
April 23, 2014, 06:26:20 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Poll
Question: Will you buy the Doom 3 expansion?  (Voting closed: February 25, 2005, 05:52:06 PM)
Yes - 8 (25%)
No - 17 (53.1%)
I just want to make jokes about how dark it was, so I posted here - 7 (21.9%)
Total Voters: 32

Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Will you buy the Doom 3 Expansion?  (Read 1651 times)
leo8877
Gaming Trend Senior Member

View Profile
« on: February 25, 2005, 05:52:06 PM »

Doom 3: Resurrection of Evil?  In or out?

I'm in, I liked Doom 3!!!  :twisted:
warning

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: February 25, 2005, 06:03:34 PM »

Dark jokes for me.
Knightshade Dragon
Administrator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #2 on: February 25, 2005, 06:12:51 PM »

Funny you mention....there is a preview for this very thing coming up shortly.....

Ron Burke
EiC, Director of Gaming Trend
Gamertag:
Gaming Trend
PS3 Tag: GamingTrend
leo8877

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 25, 2005, 06:52:35 PM »

Quote from: "Knightshade Dragon"
Funny you mention....there is a preview for this very thing coming up shortly.....

And one from gamespy here: http://pc.gamespy.com/pc/doom-3-resurrection-of-evil/590730p1.html
Sepiche

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 25, 2005, 07:37:28 PM »

Doom 3... wasn't that that really dark game that came out a while back?  The one everyone said was so dark?

Tongue

s

And when he had failed to find these boons in things whose laws are known and measurable, they told him he lacked imagination, and was immature because he preferred dream-illusions to the illusions of our physical creation
Big Jake

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 25, 2005, 07:37:58 PM »

Eventually I'll but it, but not at $35.  That's pure bullshit.  $60 for a game with a new tech engine I can buy.  That it cost $35 to put some new maps together and add cliched 'already been done' ideas (time-slowing and gravity gun) is just stupid.

I have to admit, it has become obvios that there is ZERO creativity at iD.  One guy who can right code, that's for sure, but that's it.  The rest of the clueless morons there have NO idea what they're doing.

The price of great bacon is eternal vigilance.
Calvin

President of G.R.O.S.S.

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: February 25, 2005, 07:46:18 PM »

Not at 30 effing 5 dollars. What a freaking rip for a game that will probably be 5-6 hours in length and is an expansion pack. I wont support the price gouging.
leo8877

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: February 25, 2005, 07:58:43 PM »

Well just because I am buying it, doesn't mean I am buying it for $35.  I can wait for it too!

As for the cliched ideas, id isn't developing this one.  A third party is.
kathode

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: February 25, 2005, 09:53:41 PM »

Will probably check it out.  $30 is pretty standard for an expansion pack these days.  $35 is pushing it, maybe, but not too badly.  Depends on when I get around to finishing Doom 3 smile
whiteboyskim
Senior Staff Writer

Hard partier

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: February 25, 2005, 11:20:53 PM »

Bah. Having played through Doom 3 I say it was a lame game that, yes, was way too dark and repetitive. Worst game of the year? Far from it. Worth $60 and a $35 expansion pack with half the content? Hell no.

Behold the glory of my new blog!
Filmmaking is vision plus faith plus balls, all 3 of which Hollywood knows little about.
jessie
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile WWW
« Reply #10 on: February 25, 2005, 11:53:03 PM »

:shock: <- my eyes trying to see in the dark of D3.

http://www.grandtheftblogger.com

XBOX Live! Gamer Tag: jessthelaw
Laner

Badassfully

View Profile WWW
« Reply #11 on: February 26, 2005, 07:48:18 PM »

I sold my copy of Doom 3.  So while I'm interested in the expansion, I'll probably wait for the Gold edition.
naednek
Global Moderator

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: February 26, 2005, 08:33:21 PM »

i just saw a video of it.  Nice rip off of the gravity gun.

Pass for me.
Big Jake

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: February 26, 2005, 09:41:33 PM »

Actually ken, IIRC the base concept of the Grabber was featured in the earlier promos for Doom3 (a year and a half before HL2 came out).  They decided not to put it in the final release.  Just an Fyi - as much as I bitch, I know full well it's not like iD just decided to throw one in there because HL2 had it.  (And of course, HL 2 is not the first game to even have the gravity gun, anyway)

The price of great bacon is eternal vigilance.
mikeg

View Profile WWW
« Reply #14 on: February 27, 2005, 12:40:05 AM »

amen.

I am Xboxalot on Live.
Rob_Merritt

View Profile WWW
« Reply #15 on: February 27, 2005, 03:21:32 PM »

I'm probably not going to get it. I liked Doom 3 (I hell a lot more than Half Life 2) but I'm just not up for more of the same. Not yet anyways.

farley2k

View Profile
« Reply #16 on: February 27, 2005, 03:24:11 PM »

Quote from: "Big Jake"
Actually ken, IIRC the base concept of the Grabber was featured in the earlier promos for Doom3 (a year and a half before HL2 came out).  They decided not to put it in the final release.  Just an Fyi - as much as I bitch, I know full well it's not like iD just decided to throw one in there because HL2 had it.  (And of course, HL 2 is not the first game to even have the gravity gun, anyway)

Well they may have.  They may have had it in early Doom 3 concepts and dropped it because they thought it was dumb.  Then HL2 came out and showed how cool it could be so they picked it back off the cutting room floor.

mikeg

View Profile WWW
« Reply #17 on: February 27, 2005, 07:41:37 PM »

I will be getting it, but my biggest pc want of the year is hands down FEAR.  That and D3 expansion may be my only pc purchases of the year.  Nothing else seems to wet my appetite.  Console-wise it's a whole different story.  I have a dozen or more I must have.  

But I really like D3 and don't have a problem with the darkness.  I see the darkness as just another enemy to combat, but I can see how some wouldn't.  Comes down to preference really.  

As for me, I'm in.  May wait a week or two however just to see if someone has it for $29.99.   Then I will grab it.

I am Xboxalot on Live.
Calvin

President of G.R.O.S.S.

View Profile
« Reply #18 on: February 27, 2005, 08:41:39 PM »

Quote from: "mikeg"
I will be getting it, but my biggest pc want of the year is hands down FEAR.  That and D3 expansion may be my only pc purchases of the year.  Nothing else seems to wet my appetite.  Console-wise it's a whole different story.  I have a dozen or more I must have.  

But I really like D3 and don't have a problem with the darkness.  I see the darkness as just another enemy to combat, but I can see how some wouldn't.  Comes down to preference really.  

As for me, I'm in.  May wait a week or two however just to see if someone has it for $29.99.   Then I will grab it.

Whether or not doom3 was thinking about this, half life 2 did the best implementation of this feature, ever. Hands down. Now, like it or not, Dooms version is going to be at least somewhat copied from valve regardless of who came up with it first, because Valve's worked beautifully.

As for FEAR-I read just two or three impressions of the fileplanet closed multiplayer beta, and the impressions have been universally bad. I am not trying to rain on any parades since I am very excited about this game too, but right now it appears to have a lot of work left.

If I can ever finish D3 and enjoy the last half, I will eventually get the expansion, but I have sveral games now and am getting republic commando next week and brothers in arms the week after, so I am not hurting for games.
Dreamshadow

View Profile WWW
« Reply #19 on: February 27, 2005, 10:47:08 PM »

http://www.consolegold.com/shorttakes/doom3-roe.php

For another take on the Expansion.

Tom "Dreamshadow" Tjarks
Aunt Wu: Care to hear your fortune, handsome?
Iroh: At my age there is really only one big surprise left, and I'd just as soon leave it a mystery.
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: