http://gamingtrend.com
September 03, 2014, 04:44:22 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Will my new DRL run oblivion, or will I need to get 360 ver?  (Read 1726 times)
msduncan
Gaming Trend Senior Member

Roll Tide!!!!

View Profile
« on: March 13, 2006, 01:34:13 AM »

Hey guys....   Since my ban from OO a week ago, I wound up canceling my Alienware computer in favor of a Dell XPS machine.   Long story --  concerns over AW support and turnaround time, reliability, etc.

Anyway...  I'm very much looking forward to Oblivion, and I preordered for the PC.   However, I'm wondering how even a Desktop Replacement Laptop will be able to handle it.  

Here's the specs on the machine I'm getting Tuesday:

Intel® Pentium® M Processor 780 (2.26 GHz/2MB Cache/533MHz FSB)
2GB Dual Channel DDR2 SDRAM at 533MHz 2 Dimm
256MB NVIDIA® GeForce™ Go 7800 GTX

This thing pulls around 6700 3dmark05 scores (over 7000 with auto overclock on).  

Will this thing handle Oblivion, or will I need to get it for the Xbox 360?
stiffler

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1 on: March 13, 2006, 01:45:41 AM »

Yes.  The reccomended specs are a 2GHz processor, 1GB RAM, and an X800/6800.  You've got all that covered and then some.  Have fun!

Xbox Live Gamertag: cstiffler
gameoverman

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 13, 2006, 02:23:20 AM »

Yeah, you are good to go.  Cry for me and my GF4ti.  frown
Doopri

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 13, 2006, 02:57:35 AM »

i do have to ask just out of my nosiness - how the hell did you get banned?  never have i seen anything close to acts of "assholer-ry" here - on a most likely to be banned list, youd be pretty far down from what id guess??? gossip, gossip!
-Lord Ebonstone-
BANNED

get naked

View Profile WWW
« Reply #4 on: March 13, 2006, 03:08:31 AM »

Yeah, from a sheer spec standpoint you should be able to run it, msd.  

Biggest issue I'd say would be heat--the 7800 GTXes are practically volcanic, and even though the Pentium Ms are efficient and don't run that hot, in the cramped conditions of a laptop, it'll add up.  Laptops are just bad at cooling in general, though.  Of course, so is the XBox360, apparently.

If you're playing in air conditioning and the laptop has good ventilation, though, you should be OK.

And what the hell did you get banned from OO for?  Don't tell me they booted you while keeping assfucks like Kobra/U2K/Dirt...

xbl tag = cthonic horror

NNNOOOOOO!!
msduncan

Roll Tide!!!!

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 13, 2006, 04:00:33 AM »

Thanks guys!

I won't drudge up a bunch of it here to spare the community and the mods the headache...

But basically I got a 2 week ban for calling the 'assf*cks' out onto the carpet finally.

The mods were all very nice to me... but they had to take action for what I said.   It's all in the OO Metaforum.     I have a few days left on my ban timer (thursday night if I remember correctly).
msduncan

Roll Tide!!!!

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 13, 2006, 04:01:49 AM »

oh... and because of this advice I'm going to pick up a Lapcool4 to help cool my lappy for this thing.
-Lord Ebonstone-
BANNED

get naked

View Profile WWW
« Reply #7 on: March 13, 2006, 06:11:25 AM »

Quote from: "msduncan"
oh... and because of this advice I'm going to pick up a Lapcool4 to help cool my lappy for this thing.
I actually have a LapCool 2 I'm not using if you'd want to trade or buy.  I'd undercut  the cheapest price you could find on the internet.

xbl tag = cthonic horror

NNNOOOOOO!!
msduncan

Roll Tide!!!!

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: March 13, 2006, 10:17:04 AM »

Quote from: "-Lord Ebonstone-"
I actually have a LapCool 2 I'm not using if you'd want to trade or buy.  I'd undercut  the cheapest price you could find on the internet.

Appreciate it, but apparently my brother had one too!    :p   He's going to give it to me for the bargain price of free!  slywink
Hetz

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: March 13, 2006, 01:21:09 PM »

Hey guys....   Since my ban from OO a week ago, I wound up canceling my Alienware computer in favor of a Dell XPS machine.   Long story --  concerns over AW support and turnaround time, reliability, etc.

Anyway...  I'm very much looking forward to Oblivion, and I preordered for the PC.   However, I'm wondering how even a Desktop Replacement Laptop will be able to handle it.  

This thing pulls around 6700 3dmark05 scores (over 7000 with auto overclock on).  

You were banned from OO?? I didn't know they banned you!

(Oh and that is an awesome system! Congrats! smile )

And what the hell did you get banned from OO for? Don't tell me they booted you while keeping assfucks like Kobra/U2K/Dirt...

Kobra didn't get me banned yet (partly cause I left before I blew up at him the way msduncan did), but I basicly want nothing to do with OO anymore cause they let his bullshit antics go on unchecked, while people like msduncan get banned for standing up to him and his dipshit buddies who are only there to cause trouble.

XBox Live: Hetz OO
PSN: Hetz76
Steam: hetz_gg
Arkon

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: March 13, 2006, 02:18:02 PM »

Quote from: "Hetz"

You were banned from OO?? I didn't know they banned you!

(Oh and that is an awesome system! Congrats! smile )

And what the hell did you get banned from OO for? Don't tell me they booted you while keeping assfucks like Kobra/U2K/Dirt...

Kobra didn't get me banned yet (partly cause I left before I blew up at him the way msduncan did), but I basicly want nothing to do with OO anymore cause they let his bullshit antics go on unchecked, while people like msduncan get banned for standing up to him and his dipshit buddies who are only there to cause trouble.

Agreed, it is getting insane.  I rarely browse OO anymore....anyways.  You should be fine playing Oblivion on that laptop.  Damn am I jealous.  I could play Oblivion on my desktop if I upgraded my video card, however with my Dell 2100FP default res being 1600x1200 I am worried that even with a video card upgrade it isn't going to look very good.  My one question would be... what will Oblivion look like on a standard def TV.  GR:AW looks f'ing incredible on my TV, so I am hoping Oblivion will too.  Of course I also have a VGA cable that I could hook my 360 up to my monitor and play it there, I just prefer my couch over my uncomfortable computer chair.
Starshifter

CINEMAGIC on XM!

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: March 13, 2006, 04:25:58 PM »

msduncan - what brand laptop are you getting?  I'm currently configuring one from Sager with very similar specs (see my "Alienware Rip-Offs thread in Hardware).  I'm curious.  I'm going with the 2.0GHz Pentium M because I can't justify the $300 price jump going from the 2.0 to the 2.26.

Thanks!

CINEMAGIC - Escape into the Movies!
XM Channel 76
msduncan

Roll Tide!!!!

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: March 16, 2006, 04:50:16 AM »

Quote from: "Starshifter"

msduncan - what brand laptop are you getting?  I'm currently configuring one from Sager with very similar specs (see my "Alienware Rip-Offs thread in Hardware).  I'm curious.  I'm going with the 2.0GHz Pentium M because I can't justify the $300 price jump going from the 2.0 to the 2.26.

Thanks!

Dell XPS m170
FlyingElvis
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: March 16, 2006, 07:01:03 PM »

Good idea, or no kids for you!

Now playing: Oblivion, X3: The Reunion
farley2k

View Profile
« Reply #14 on: March 16, 2006, 07:06:40 PM »

I wound up canceling my Alienware computer in favor of a Dell XPS machine. Long story -- concerns over AW support and turnaround time, reliability, etc.

I believe that Dell just bought Alienware so soon their service will be the same.  Of course that doesn't always mean improvement...just consistency.

Zinfan

View Profile
« Reply #15 on: March 19, 2006, 06:44:25 PM »

I have the previous gen XPS2 laptop (6800 ultra vice 7800 vid card) and only 1GB of ram so I'm hoping it will work at a reasonable resoultion.  Love the computer and it's nice screen.
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: