http://gamingtrend.com
August 21, 2014, 08:43:04 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Will F.E.A.R. make me poop my pants?  (Read 6264 times)
Teggy
Gaming Trend Senior Member

Eat lightsaber, jerks!

View Profile
« on: July 23, 2008, 04:36:07 PM »

Project Origin is looking very interesting, but I haven't played F.E.A.R. yet. Here's the thing - I get very stressed out playing scary games.  I managed to make it through the original Silent Hill, but Silent Hill 2 I got partway through but have never been able to get myself back in the mood to finish it. Games like Resident Evil or Eternal Darkness I can deal with, although I tend to want to play them during the day. Something like Dead Rising is no problem.

So where does F.E.A.R. fit on the scary scale?

"Is there any chance your jolly Garchomp is female?" - Wonderpug
Caine

My cocaine

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: July 23, 2008, 05:09:10 PM »

not very high on the outright scares.  it's mostly a tense feeling when you aren't in combat and during the notable scenes, the scare factor is mostly based on gore.  there are some shock you moments though.  nothing too bad though. 

"It's like chess with big guns against aliens. Which isn't like chess at all when I think about it." - Jake Solomon
Scraper
Gaming Trend Staff

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 23, 2008, 05:25:24 PM »

If you're afraid of the little girl in a dress with black hair monster that has been popular these days then it is scary. But otherwise it isn't really scary at all.

" And they are a strong and frightening force, impervious to, and immunized against, the feeble lance of mere reason." Isaac Asimov
Teggy

Eat lightsaber, jerks!

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 23, 2008, 05:31:05 PM »

Mostly I don't like the "you're alone in a scary hell world and here's about 100 hospital room doors that you have to open to find a key and who knows what might be on the other side - probably nothing, but every once a while some creepy monster that only a sociopath could dream up" scary.
« Last Edit: July 23, 2008, 05:32:53 PM by Teggy » Logged

"Is there any chance your jolly Garchomp is female?" - Wonderpug
hepcat

I'M the one that knocks! Now...burp me!

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 23, 2008, 05:55:38 PM »

hands down, best subject line of the month.   icon_lol

Warning:  You will see my penis. -Brian

Just remember: once a user figures out gluten noting them they're allowed to make fun of you. - Ceekay speaking in tongues.
Kevin Grey
Global Moderator

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 23, 2008, 06:00:12 PM »

I'm definitely one who is easily susceptible to "scary little girl ghost" scares so FEAR was too much for me (didn't help that the level design was so monotonous).  However, I was able to make it through Silent Hill 2 so YMMV. 
metallicorphan

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 23, 2008, 07:10:54 PM »

little scary girls have been done much better in my opinion,silent hill has a few...

The twin girls in The Shining with Jack Nicholson are prolly the scariest little girls in the history of the woooorld(and that old woman coming out of the bath naked didnt do me any favours either)

God,just staring at this picture gives me the shits

...i think fatal frame/project zero have some Chinese or Japanese girls (again i think the are twins)in it as well,i remember that being a little creepy

but F.E.A.R. i finished and it wasnt very scary at all,and i have avoided the sequel/add on..same with that project origin that is a proper sequel i think

scariest game ever i think,would be maybe ..SH2,the fog an all,with little noises just a head of you beyond the fog..yup,that made me POOP my pants

but i do love me some scary video games

Manchester United Premier League Champions 2013!!

Xbox LIVE:Metallicorphan
Wii:8565 1513 0206 1960
PSN:Metallicorphan
ATB

Thanks for everything, Ryan. 1979-2013

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: July 23, 2008, 07:46:47 PM »

IMO, fear is not worth yoru time. The level design is horrible and the AI is not as great as everyone says.

Play The Darkness instead.
Caine

My cocaine

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: July 23, 2008, 08:57:36 PM »

Quote from: ATB on July 23, 2008, 07:46:47 PM

IMO, fear is not worth yoru time. The level design is horrible and the AI is not as great as everyone says.

Play The Darkness instead.

the level design does degrade the experience, but the ai does have some interesting tricks.  i enjoyed it when it came out, but i haven't felt the need to go back since. 

project origin is looking pretty good, but it's not at the top of my fps A list.  that would be stalker: clear skies or far cry 2

"It's like chess with big guns against aliens. Which isn't like chess at all when I think about it." - Jake Solomon
Ridah
Senior Staff Writer

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: July 23, 2008, 09:22:09 PM »

I enjoyed the story and there were definitely some creepy moments, I may have been startled once or twice. I also found the gunplay to be pretty gratifying. I would give FEAR a spin if you have even the slightest interest in Project Origin.

Sean Lama
Senior Staff Editor, GamingTrend
CeeKay
Gaming Trend Staff

La-bibbida-bibba-dum! La-bibbida-bibba-do!

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: July 24, 2008, 12:46:32 AM »

Quote from: ATB on July 23, 2008, 07:46:47 PM

+1.  at first it was fun but after the umpteenth cube fight it got old.

Because I can,
also because I don't care what you want.
XBL: OriginalCeeKay
Wii U: CeeKay
Sarkus

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: July 24, 2008, 04:18:57 AM »

I agree with Ridah and the other posters who complained about the level design.  It really comes down to how much you like the combat system with its slowmo feature.  If you can't get enough of it, the game is fun.  If that combat system doesn't capture you, the endless levels can get to you.

I'd put it on par with Doom 3 in terms of scary in that you don't know when something a little freaky is going to happen, but you know it will.  Not Doom 3 in terms of monsters jumping out of closets, but more in the sense of being scared when something happens that you don't expect.  Fear has several of those moments.

Roger: And you should know, I have no genitals.
Syndey: That's alright.  I have both.

- American Dad
hepcat

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: July 24, 2008, 05:56:58 PM »

ditto for the level design complaints.  it really does become "same old, same old" after a few hours in the area of exploration.  the gameplay is fun though, and the story starts off strong only to limp to the finish line towards the end of the game.  hopefully the sequel fleshes it out and makes it more interesting.

Just remember: once a user figures out gluten noting them they're allowed to make fun of you. - Ceekay speaking in tongues.
Ridah
Senior Staff Writer

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: July 24, 2008, 10:40:35 PM »

Quote from: hepcat on July 24, 2008, 05:56:58 PM

ditto for the level design complaints.  it really does become "same old, same old" after a few hours in the area of exploration.  the gameplay is fun though, and the story starts off strong only to limp to the finish line towards the end of the game.  hopefully the sequel fleshes it out and makes it more interesting.

You can put 75 hours into Oblivion (+40 for the PC version) but you complain about "same old" in a 10 hour FPS? slywink Tongue

Sean Lama
Senior Staff Editor, GamingTrend
warning

View Profile
« Reply #14 on: July 25, 2008, 01:30:52 AM »

Quote from: Ridah on July 24, 2008, 10:40:35 PM

You can put 75 hours into Oblivion (+40 for the PC version) but you complain about "same old" in a 10 hour FPS? slywink Tongue

In Oblivion, if you didn't like where you were you could usually go somewhere else.  In FEAR if you didn't like where you were, that meant you were trapped in endless office levels roaming from cubicle to cubicle.
Sarkus

View Profile
« Reply #15 on: July 25, 2008, 02:21:54 AM »

Quote from: warning on July 25, 2008, 01:30:52 AM

In Oblivion, if you didn't like where you were you could usually go somewhere else.  In FEAR if you didn't like where you were, that meant you were trapped in endless office levels roaming from cubicle to cubicle.

That's why you have to download the POOPED MY PANTS mod package for FEAR.  The little girl becomes a 20 foot tall giant, the enemies all have rocket launchers, and you only get the pistol with no flashlight.  Plus, they added new levels to replace the endless ones in the original game.  There's the underground cave levels, the space station levels, and the giant cave where you run around in circles level.

It's sweet.

icon_lol

Roger: And you should know, I have no genitals.
Syndey: That's alright.  I have both.

- American Dad
hepcat

View Profile
« Reply #16 on: July 25, 2008, 03:00:27 AM »

In my 75 hours into Oblivion (+40 for the PC version) I don't recall being forced to spend 50 percent of it in a garage and the other 50 percent in office cubicles.  In Oblivion, if I didn't like the scenery, I could turn left, right, go forward or go backwards and I'd soon find something different.  In FEAR, I could go foward or I could go...well...forward.   icon_razz

Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: