http://gamingtrend.com
April 21, 2014, 10:25:45 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Will European X-Box discs work on a US X-Box?  (Read 679 times)
El Guapo
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« on: April 30, 2005, 09:36:13 PM »

That's pretty much my whole question, actually.  I'm going to Brussels for a month or so, and bringing the ol' X-Box with me, and I'm just wondering if I should stock up on games beforehand.
Kevin Grey
Global Moderator
Gaming Trend Senior Member

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: April 30, 2005, 10:27:28 PM »

I'm not even sure an American Xbox will work on a European TV unless it has some sort of internal decoding I don't know about.  America and Europe operate on two different signal systems-

American=NTSC
European=PAL

Some region-free DVD players can convert NTSC to PAL and vice versa but I'm pretty sure the Xbox doesn't.  

Games are also region locked so unless you have some sort of modded Xbox, European games shouldn't work even if you do get the Xbox to display in the first place (which I think you won't).
Chrisoc13
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 30, 2005, 10:34:53 PM »

European games wont work, but im pretty sure the xbox will work on a tv there. The PAL and NTSC are coding if I remember right, but the tvs use standard input still (like rca, or rf). At least all the tvs I have seen in europe do. You will need a power converter thingie though to use it, and they are easier to find in the US then in europe. I learned that the hard way.
Kevin Grey
Global Moderator
Gaming Trend Senior Member

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 30, 2005, 11:10:45 PM »

Chris- thats a good point but there still is some level of a conversion.  For example, not all region-free DVD players will play PAL and NTSC disks.  Region-encoding is just a flag so even an Xbox modded to be region free likely wouldn't be able to play European Xbox games that are PAL encoded. I'm not 100% sure though but I think El Guapo should definitely find out before lugging the Xbox to Europe.
dogbert
Welcome to Gaming Trend

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 01, 2005, 12:02:41 AM »

US XBox will work on a PAL TV as long as you have a suitable connection to the TV. You will need a power converter.

Generally UK game discs will not work on a US XBox and vice versa. There are a few games that are 'region free', usually XBL titles.
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: