http://gamingtrend.com
October 02, 2014, 12:29:29 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Will Brand Loyalty Carry you into NextGen?  (Read 2559 times)
ATB
Gaming Trend Senior Member

Thanks for everything, Ryan. 1979-2013

View Profile
« on: January 20, 2005, 06:40:06 PM »

Loyalty schoyalty! says Portnoy over on OO.

Got me thinking.  I believe this has been discussed here before, but does your fanboyism translate into the moves you'll make with your nextgen console $$$?

I'm a huge XBOX fan and I'm hoping that Nextbox is a better a system than the other NextGen systems.  However, if it turns out that the PS3 or whatever is a better system, I'll go that way...but not for a long time.  (ATB don't pay no full price for consoles and prefers to come to the party late so the libraries are big and the kinks worked out).

I'm sure most would agree, but there are still people in this country who refuse to drive chevy's cause their papa's papa's papa's papa drove a ford and so will they.

Thoughts?
Laner

Badassfully

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1 on: January 20, 2005, 06:59:41 PM »

I'll probably end up with all three consoles like I did this time.  Though it will take something *huge* to get me to buy another Nintendo console.
leo8877

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 20, 2005, 07:00:55 PM »

I'm sure I'll get the Nintendo one for their first party stuff.  Unless they do something stupid (as they have the past two gens) and alienate themselved from the other systems.
vagabond
BANNED
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 20, 2005, 07:13:44 PM »

I prefer the Xbox because of the hard drive and usually superior graphics. Any multiplatform I buy I get that. Any one I rent I try to get the xbox version but I will get the playstation or cube one if that is all they have. This hasn't happened much tho. Next generation I will end up with all three just because I need more games to play than exist. I have the time to play all the ones I would like. Thus making all 3 necessary. I expect the next generation xbox to maintain and perhaps improve on it's superiority. But as long as there are systems with games I want to play I will buy them.

Sepiche

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 20, 2005, 07:17:56 PM »

I'm about the same way.  My loyalty might effect the order I buy them in, but I'll probably end up with all 3 consoles.

s

And when he had failed to find these boons in things whose laws are known and measurable, they told him he lacked imagination, and was immature because he preferred dream-illusions to the illusions of our physical creation
wankerjr
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile WWW
« Reply #5 on: January 20, 2005, 07:36:38 PM »

No loyalty here from me as I'm primarily PC guy. I finally broke down and bought a GC over the XBox simply for price and the bundle it came in. Plus RE4 was coming out and I really wanted to play X-Men Legends.

I'm just going to wait for the next gen console prices to drop far enough where I can justify picking one up.

How does this work again?
Calvin

President of G.R.O.S.S.

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: January 20, 2005, 07:46:14 PM »

I will almost definately get both the new XBox and the new PlayStation, but I will NOT, under any circumstances buy the new Nintendo console. I learned my lesson, twice, with the gamecube.
whiteboyskim
Senior Staff Writer

Hard partier

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: January 20, 2005, 07:48:29 PM »

Sony and Microsoft definitely. At gunpoint, I might consider another Nintendo system but I'd have to really think about it first. But I never, ever, buy a console until the following two conditions are met:

1) It's been out for a calendar year, which leads developers way more time to actually figure out how the system works and the games are better as a result

2) There are at least 5 games for that console that I simply have to play right now. Nothing less than that warrants a purchase for a brand new console, IMO.

So I guess I might find out in 2006-7 what the next gens are like. smile

Behold the glory of my new blog!
Filmmaking is vision plus faith plus balls, all 3 of which Hollywood knows little about.
JLu

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: January 20, 2005, 07:54:43 PM »

This time around I bought the XBox, but later the PS2 because I had to play GTA: Vice City (and at the time it wasn't coming out for XBox ever).

Next time I will buy only one; the amount of time I have to game does not justify having both.  Knowing nothing I lean towards the next XBox; but if the PS3 seems to be the better console I can be swayed.

XBox Live Gamertag: JLu
ma
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: January 20, 2005, 08:11:59 PM »

I've been a Nintendo loyalist for a long time.  I loved N64 for three reasons:
1) I love Nintendo first-party games
2) best multiplayer console
3) best FPS console

Now only 1 holds, and Xbox has claimed the crown for 2) and 3).

I have a Gamecube now, but I want to get an Xbox+Live as soon as I can afford it (Burnout 3 and Halo 2 on-line were the straws that broke the camel's back).

As for next-gen, I will wait and see how things shake out, and probably use the same 3 criteria above.  I'm guessing I will buy an Xbox 2 first, and maybe a Nintendo when they get cheap and have a Zelda game.

Formerly known as "matt" on GG
greeneggsnham
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: January 20, 2005, 08:18:58 PM »

I'm taking a 'wait and see' approach to what goes down.

I think that Sony has a lot of good game series to bring into the next gen, but at the same time the xbox has owned the multiplatform releases (in this round, IMO). The nextbox should give us a decent end to Halo2, if nothing else, so there's some definate interest. At this point, though, I don't know how well either of them will do: is Sony going to keep strong with their licenses and exclusives, stronger with a newer console, or is the nextbox going to pick up steam, with some of the nice properties MS has? I just don't know.

I see Nintendo as the odd man out, and although I love my cube, and it has some STELLAR titles on it, they're too few and far between to justify giving Nintendo any more money the next time they drop a console. At least at launch, anyway.

Let me be the first in this thread to say, It's all about the games. Where the good games are, the gamers will follow.
warning

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: January 20, 2005, 08:39:44 PM »

When the next generation of consoles comes out I will probably buy the original Xbox so I can get some cheap gaming in.  I very rarely have to have "the latest game" for any system.  Right now I'm enjoying my PS2 and N64.
Jancelot

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: January 20, 2005, 08:51:33 PM »

These days, while I still enjoy it, the time I set aside for gaming is less.  I've found that I only have time to play games for one system (plus the occasional PC game).  I don't care for anime stuff so alot of the PS2 library leaves me flat.  Nintendo has about 2 or 3 games a year that are must haves so there's too much space.  The X-Box has provided the type of games I want to play and has a good to great release schedule too.  So I'm betting that I'll be picking up the next MS console, but not before I consider the others too.
semiconscious

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: January 20, 2005, 09:11:03 PM »

sony & nintendo for me (just like now), tho i'm with those who will wait til a bit of time passes &/or that 'killer ap' is released before buying (what's the rush?)...

(this goes for ds & psp as well)...

"... i'm not against some 'monkey catching'... but i'd rather be collecting pants..."
- snake, 'snake vs monkey' (mgs3:se)
Torfish
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #14 on: January 20, 2005, 09:28:29 PM »

Yes, I will most certainly stay with one console.  Nintendo.  I love the exclusives and I just don't have enough time/money to get another console.  

My kids love playing the multiplayer nintendo games.... super monkeyball, mario parties, warioware, etc...
Devil

View Profile
« Reply #15 on: January 20, 2005, 10:46:35 PM »

MS and Sony are definites in the next round but Nintendo has been a huge dissapointment for me.

Even forgetting the lackluster titles (for me): No optical out for DD? No component unless you bribe Nintendo themselves for a cable? Did they intentionally go out to win the title of "Console Most Likely To Be Played On A Black And White TV In The Corner Of My Basement Next To The Water Heater"?

On the other hand - I never expected MS to deliver like they did. If I had to pick one, it'd be the next XBox.

XBox Gamertag: Devil13Devil
Wii Number: 0305 6568 6417 2609
PS3 Thing: Slived
Tebunker

Ask How, Ask Now, Ask me

View Profile
« Reply #16 on: January 20, 2005, 11:28:07 PM »

I might not buy any next generation systems.

Not until the dust has settled. I've learned my lesson this Gen and will avoid buying any one machine for atleast 18 months after launch.

I am against the next Xbox if it comes out this fall as everyone thinks it will. However, I will consider it once it's had it's first price drop. I can't support 4 year life cycles in the Console Arena, PS2 is pushing it's fifth year and great games are still coming, I can't support a company like MS that to me, seems to me to be rushing ahead to next gen to cash in. Pretty much the Xbox is hitting it's stride going into this year and they're allready to pull the plug on it, and I think one more year wouldn't have been too much to ask...

Nintendo will really have to show some true innovation next generation. I actually liked my Cube more for the controller than anything else, and rumors have me thinking Nintendo has finally gone off the deepend, just FYI rumors are pointing to a touch screen controller and fully customizable control sets.

"I hate cynicism -- it's my least favorite quality and it doesn't lead anywhere. Nobody in life gets exactly what they thought they were going to get. But if you work really hard and you're kind amazing things will happen." - Conan O'Brien
ATB

Thanks for everything, Ryan. 1979-2013

View Profile
« Reply #17 on: January 21, 2005, 12:06:35 AM »

Pretty much the Xbox is hitting it's stride going into this year and they're allready to pull the plug on it, and I think one more year wouldn't have been too much to ask...

Agreed 100%.

I'm shocked, I say shocked, at how many people own all 3 and are planning to own all 3 nextgens too.  I must not make enough money! (Or have enough gaming time!) :o
mikeg

View Profile WWW
« Reply #18 on: January 21, 2005, 12:42:56 AM »

I will most likely end up with all three, but I am definitely 100% not paying full price.  I will wait til at least the first price drop.  Plus, many of the games will have dropped by then.  

I know I said all three, but unless they make a sequel for Rez4 for the next console, which based on the ending of 4 looks like they will, I will not be getting a Cube.  Or trapezoid, or whatever they call it by then.

I am Xboxalot on Live.
Andrew Mallon

View Profile
« Reply #19 on: January 21, 2005, 12:53:15 AM »

I'd have to say that no, brand loyalty won't affect my purchasing decisions next generation. I'll go with the system that at the time has the most games that I want to play. I will probably eventually end up with all systems, but it'll be the games that will determine the order and the price that I pay for each console.

If I had to hazard a guess, though, I'd say the first next-gen console that I buy will be from Nintendo. Depite only having around ten games for the GC, those games are the ones that I've enjoyed the most.
Kevin Grey
Global Moderator

View Profile
« Reply #20 on: January 21, 2005, 01:19:04 AM »

All three for me (just like this generation).  If I could choose only one, though, it would be PS3 assuming most of their franchises make the transition.
HankRaptor

View Profile WWW
« Reply #21 on: January 21, 2005, 02:15:24 PM »

Ill have all three on day one, its  how I do.

There will be games to own on each system... even thought the GC crapped the bed this generation, as  a Nintendo fanboy I am truely hoping for a Nintendo comeback.

Wii Number 6291 3315 9378 1013
360- HankRaptor
PSN- HankRaptor
Crispin sees what you are doing and he is NONE TOO PLEASED.
wankerjr
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile WWW
« Reply #22 on: January 21, 2005, 02:29:27 PM »

Quote from: "Tebunker"
I am against the next Xbox if it comes out this fall as everyone thinks it will. However, I will consider it once it's had it's first price drop. I can't support 4 year life cycles in the Console Arena, PS2 is pushing it's fifth year and great games are still coming, I can't support a company like MS that to me, seems to me to be rushing ahead to next gen to cash in. Pretty much the Xbox is hitting it's stride going into this year and they're allready to pull the plug on it, and I think one more year wouldn't have been too much to ask...

MS is just trying to get a jump on the market over the the PS3. Whether or not that helps or hurts them (shades of Sega Dreamcast) is yet to be seen. Hopefully it helps them a bit as competition in the market place is always good for us end consumers.

How does this work again?
croman
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #23 on: January 21, 2005, 02:45:27 PM »

Which ever one the pirates figure out how to mod first so that I can download games.

Just kidding, but seriously..

Right now I like my XBox more, for the simple reason that it looks so much better on the big screen tv than the PS2 does.  So when games come out for both the PS2 and the XBox, I will always want to play with the XBox version.

That being said, this should not be an issue with the PS3/XBox2.  I imagine now that the HDTV is becoming so much more common, that both will fully support it and the graphics will be outstanding on both consoles.

So I guess I am still on the fence and will have to wait and see.  This will be a non-issue for me though if one console comes out a year before the other.  I seriously doubt I would wait that long and just buy the first one
Thin_J

View Profile
« Reply #24 on: January 21, 2005, 03:33:01 PM »

My decision will be based on two things... multiplayer possibilities, and game selection.

Xbox 2 will obviously have some incranation of Live available for it. That's already 1 up for Microsoft.

Game selection is obviously a huge unknown at this point.

I likely won't know what I'm going to do until the night before the first of the systems releases.

Xbox Live: Thin J
PSN: Thin_J
Fellow

View Profile
« Reply #25 on: January 21, 2005, 03:54:36 PM »

I'll follow the trail of RPGs. Whichever console seems to be pooping out the best piles of beautiful RPGs, it'll be the one I dig into.

...Um, though most likely I may end up with all three. NOT at full price, however.

X360 Gamertag: LuckyFellow
PS3: Fellow
Nintendo Wii: 2484 8443 5009 9425
vagabond
BANNED
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #26 on: January 21, 2005, 05:41:05 PM »

Well, if MS is truly pushing for an XBOX2 launch by the end of the year in order to beat sony to the punch that can only mean two things. One, they are confident they will have the necessary quality/price/gameselection/or all three advantage over sony whenever they launch and are just trying to get out first to gain more market share. Or they already know they won't have any advantage over the next sony system so are going out early trying to get market share. In either event, they also know that sony will not have the time to make any significant changes before they launch or they would wait.

gellar

I'm a dolphin!

View Profile
« Reply #27 on: January 21, 2005, 07:56:19 PM »

I'll get all 3.  I just cannot stand being limited and saying "I can't play X game because I don't have X console."  Their launch prices will dictate when I buy them though.

gellar
WestNile
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #28 on: January 21, 2005, 09:52:48 PM »

I am going to sit back, and "wait and see" myself.

If I must predict, I believe I will end up with the next Microsoft system.  I believe it has most hardcore gamers now, and that will bring the casual gamers along as well.  I think Sony has been ridding being trendy, and will eventually be one-upped my Microsoft.

I only own a PS2 now, so I will buy an XBOX and Gamecube, and enjoy all the games I always wanted for both, as the prices shoot down like the stars.  By the time I am bored with the both of them, I am sure one system will be winning the console war, and I will jump on that bandwagon, lemming style.
Beer Goggles

View Profile
« Reply #29 on: January 21, 2005, 10:55:32 PM »

No brand loyalty but if the next generation machines are the same as today but souped up, I would go for the Xbox.
Eel Snave

View Profile WWW
« Reply #30 on: January 22, 2005, 05:28:17 AM »

Nintendo has done this twice now:  They released a console with great expectations and ended up falling far short.

Here's the thing:  I get a console that has lots of flavors of games.  If you get a PS2, you get the Sony flavor, the Square flavor, the EA flavor and so on and so forth.  My point being, I will get whatever console has more flavors of games.  I want a diverse library, and Metroid Prime 1 & 2, Zelda 1 & 2, and Mario Party 4, 5, and 6 don't cut it.
Chrisoc13
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #31 on: January 22, 2005, 07:37:56 PM »

Brand loyalty? I dont know. Maybe, but probably not. I will probably end up going for the next Microsoft system, although honestly I might end up with all three. Im still waiting to get that PS2 though smile. Maybe when the PS3 comes out it will drop in price and I will get it then smile.
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: