http://gamingtrend.com
December 19, 2014, 11:04:44 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: 1 [2]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: WiiWare Impressions  (Read 4970 times)
TheMissingLink
Gaming Trend Senior Member

TML, for short.

View Profile
« Reply #40 on: May 18, 2008, 05:06:55 AM »

LostWinds has a firm grip on my attention, and I plan on putting a lot of time into it tonight, seeing if I can finish it.

It's fantastic, so far.  Really cute and well done.

TheMissingLink on PSN
Zaxxon

View Profile
« Reply #41 on: May 18, 2008, 11:16:45 AM »

Too many games!  I'm at 106 stars in Mario and am quite addicted, just picked up No More Heroes last night for $19.99 price match at Best Buy, and want several WiiWare titles.  Oh, and Wii Fit on Wed.  Gaming gods, why do you torment me??
The Grue

You are likely to be eaten by a grue.

View Profile
« Reply #42 on: May 18, 2008, 01:51:06 PM »

Quote from: Zaxxon on May 18, 2008, 11:16:45 AM

Too many games!  I'm at 106 stars in Mario and am quite addicted, just picked up No More Heroes last night for $19.99 price match at Best Buy, and want several WiiWare titles.  Oh, and Wii Fit on Wed.  Gaming gods, why do you torment me??

Haven't you heard?  There are no good games on Wii.  Or at least that's what I would say if I was the average person on a gaming forum.

XBox Live ID: The Grue
Playstation Network Name: TheGrue
somoflange
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #43 on: May 19, 2008, 12:22:52 PM »

Quote from: The Grue on May 18, 2008, 01:51:06 PM

Haven't you heard?  There are no good games on Wii.  Or at least that's what I would say if I was the average person on a gaming forum.

Nah, there are plenty of good games on the Wii, there just aren't many great ones.  icon_biggrin

PSN: plantatreeforlee
Live: blastdsamoflanj
Zaxxon

View Profile
« Reply #44 on: May 19, 2008, 01:21:21 PM »

Quote from: somoflange on May 19, 2008, 12:22:52 PM

Quote from: The Grue on May 18, 2008, 01:51:06 PM

Nah, there are plenty of good games on the Wii, there just aren't many great ones.  icon_biggrin

Incorrect.   slywink
Sparhawk

View Profile
« Reply #45 on: May 19, 2008, 06:21:56 PM »

My life as King is freaking fantastic! Best Wii game yet.

PSN: Kal_Torok
Xbox Live: Sparhawk GT
Zaxxon

View Profile
« Reply #46 on: May 19, 2008, 06:31:57 PM »

Quote from: Sparhawk on May 19, 2008, 06:21:56 PM

eek

Really?  Elaborate!  smile 
The Grue

View Profile
« Reply #47 on: May 19, 2008, 07:22:26 PM »

Quote from: Zaxxon on May 19, 2008, 06:31:57 PM

eek

I wouldn't go as far as to say best Wii game yet, but it is definitely very good and at $15 I think it is a steal.  Think of it as a kingdom simulator (Sims Kingdom?) where you build a town from nothing, build up adventurers who go out on quests, etc.  It has a very addictive quality in that each day in the game is pretty short so you get that "one more day" syndrome where you just keep on playing and before you know it a couple of hours have passed.

hentzau
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #48 on: May 19, 2008, 08:03:31 PM »

Quote from: The Grue on May 19, 2008, 07:22:26 PM

eek

I wouldn't go as far as to say best Wii game yet, but it is definitely very good and at $15 I think it is a steal.  Think of it as a kingdom simulator (Sims Kingdom?) where you build a town from nothing, build up adventurers who go out on quests, etc.  It has a very addictive quality in that each day in the game is pretty short so you get that "one more day" syndrome where you just keep on playing and before you know it a couple of hours have passed.

My kids were interested in this one...what is the bottom end age for this game, do you think?  For instance, would my 8 year old that loves MySims be able to get into it?
kadnod

View Profile
« Reply #49 on: May 19, 2008, 08:04:58 PM »

It has a very addictive quality in that each day in the game is pretty short so you get that "one more day" syndrome where you just keep on playing and before you know it a couple of hours have passed.

Yeah, this game ate up my entire Sunday.   They really nailed the pacing on this one.  

I think some of the characters are a little too cutesy, even when compared to the Game Cube FF:CC.  Other than that, it's terrific.

Can five murderous vagabonds heroes save their world from a roman empire knockoff the forces of evil?  Apparently so! Find out how they did it in the only best D&D game in General Analog Gaming!
Bullwinkle
Gaming Trend Staff

Watch me pull a rabbit outta my hat.

View Profile
« Reply #50 on: May 19, 2008, 08:09:42 PM »

I have a couple of questions on MLAK.

1st, I've seen the install size listed as 287 (!).  I'm assuming that does not include the downloadables.  How many blocks do those take up?

Also, how long does it take to complete?  I moved some stuff around for Lost Winds, and I'm enjoying it, but one of the reasons I did is because I felt like I could finish it and take it off in a reasonable amount of time.  I'm still completely irritated that I had to go through all this, but the game kept calling to me.

That's like blaming owls because I suck at making analogies.
Lee

View Profile
« Reply #51 on: May 19, 2008, 09:36:42 PM »

Quote from: Bullwinkle on May 19, 2008, 08:09:42 PM

1st, I've seen the install size listed as 287 (!).  I'm assuming that does not include the downloadables.  How many blocks do those take up?

I think the biggest is the dungeon pack which IIRC is 3 blocks. Everything is else is one or two blocks.
semiconscious

View Profile
« Reply #52 on: May 19, 2008, 11:04:46 PM »

eek

yeah, i think smg still holds that title, but i'd say mlak is easily as nice/cool a wii game as most of the stuff sold in stores...

Quote from: hentzau on May 19, 2008, 08:03:31 PM

My kids were interested in this one...what is the bottom end age for this game, do you think?  For instance, would my 8 year old that loves MySims be able to get into it?

no idea what mysims consists of, but, if your kid's reading comprehension's good, & you were to hang out with him/her for the first little while & help explain some of the basic mechanics, i'm thinking it might work (tho 10-12 might be a better starting point - the gameplay's straightforward enough, but there's a surprising amount of depth to it). on the other hand, for $15, it's a pretty & interesting enough toy to just mess around with, if nothing else (i'm pretty sure i would've liked it smile )...

"... i'm not against some 'monkey catching'... but i'd rather be collecting pants..."
- snake, 'snake vs monkey' (mgs3:se)
metallicorphan

View Profile
« Reply #53 on: May 20, 2008, 06:07:56 PM »

okay,if i have enough blocks in my memory(curse you Nintendo)i will be getting FF in about 10 minutes

i got this from the nintendo forums

Dungeon Pack - 300 Points - 1 Block Required
Triple Race Pack - 800 Points - 2 Blocks Requires
Lilty Hut - 300 Points - 1 Block Required
Selkie Den - 300 Points - 1 Block Required
Yuke Shack - 300 Points - 1 Block Required
New Royal Outfit - 100 Points - 3 Blocks Required
New Chancellor Outfit - 100 Points - 3 Blocks Required
Luxurious House - 100 Points - 1 Block Required
Sacred Shrine - 200 Points - 1 Block Required

apparently though,if you download this one:
Triple Race Pack - 800 Points - 2 Blocks Requires

then that includes these 3:
Lilty Hut - 300 Points - 1 Block Required
Selkie Den - 300 Points - 1 Block Required
Yuke Shack - 300 Points - 1 Block Required

it wont let you download any of these 3 if you have already downloaded the triple race pack

but anyway,i am gonna leave the extras until i have played the normal game for a bit,see how i like it

if this game really grabs me i can see my memory being full with all this,and that dire turtle game(it was better when i played it on the spectrum 128k) i got off VC will be deleted,LOL

EDIT: oh and can i just say that replaying MGS:the twin snakes and now this for my Wii,its the most i have played on it this year!!
« Last Edit: May 20, 2008, 06:09:45 PM by metallicorphan » Logged

Manchester United Premier League Champions 2013!!

Xbox LIVE:Metallicorphan
Wii:8565 1513 0206 1960
PSN:Metallicorphan
metallicorphan

View Profile
« Reply #54 on: May 20, 2008, 08:12:50 PM »

final fantasy:my life as a king-i am on day 4 and quite enjoying it,i feel better using the gamecube controller though,even if it means pressing lots of buttons to find out what they do,i can move the camera and walk at the same time easier

it has a kind of sim city feel to it,no doubt later on i will get stuck and wont have money or that stuff the adventureres bring back to build stuff,but for now i am enjoying it...i just wish the days would go slower,i get something in my head to do and then Chime comes along and tells me its time for bed,then i have her financial reports in the morning so it can be a while until i can get back to what i wanted to do

oh,and who else cheered when the moogles came into it..as moogles...not some damn rabbit/mog variation like in FF12

EDIT;oh yeah and i have called my town 'dogshitville'  paranoid
« Last Edit: May 21, 2008, 04:26:12 PM by metallicorphan » Logged

semiconscious

View Profile
« Reply #55 on: May 25, 2008, 08:37:00 PM »

finished mlak (seriously over-leveled thanks - i'm thinking - to the extra dungeons). surprised by the amount of stuttering when trying to do stuff once my town was built up (how weak is the wii?), but i easily got my $30 worth out of it (& i stand corrected - there is a game+ save, & 2 more difficulty levels, once you finish - plus, you can put that save in another slot, in case you wanna pick up from the pre-final boss battle as new content is released)...

"... i'm not against some 'monkey catching'... but i'd rather be collecting pants..."
metallicorphan

View Profile
« Reply #56 on: May 25, 2008, 10:49:03 PM »

i am on day 104 i think,i have bought all the extra content,that opens up a lot of dungeons(yeah and heres me complaining about the extra content...and i am the one suckered into it..even the clothes for me and Chime)

only have a few places left to actually build stuff...not really noticed any slowdown like you mentioned

still annoyed that Chime sends me off to bed when i am busy....SHE AIN'T THE BOSS OF ME!!!!! icon_lol

oh and i have i think 16 adventurers working for me

i think the highest level needed for one of the downloadable dungeons is 40..so i will go for that,and then head out to the end

semiconscious

View Profile
« Reply #57 on: May 25, 2008, 11:08:28 PM »

Quote from: metallicorphan on May 25, 2008, 10:49:03 PM

i am on day 104 i think,i have bought all the extra content,that opens up a lot of dungeons(yeah and heres me complaining about the extra content...and i am the one suckered into it..even the clothes for me and Chime)

only have a few places left to actually build stuff...not really noticed any slowdown like you mentioned

still annoyed that Chime sends me off to bed when i am busy....SHE AIN'T THE BOSS OF ME!!!!! icon_lol

oh and i have i think 16 adventurers working for me

i think the highest level needed for one of the downloadable dungeons is 40..so i will go for that,and then head out to the end

the worst stuttering i'd get would be when i'd raise the moral of my adventurers on their way out the door, but it'd happen at other times, as well (like when chime showed up for bed-time)...

&, if you do the level 40 dungeon (which i did), & also collect all the upgrade material, you will find the final boss to be a walk in the park smile ...

Bullwinkle
Gaming Trend Staff

Watch me pull a rabbit outta my hat.

View Profile
« Reply #58 on: May 26, 2008, 02:54:49 AM »

Quote from: semiconscious on May 25, 2008, 08:37:00 PM

finished mlak (seriously over-leveled thanks - i'm thinking - to the extra dungeons). surprised by the amount of stuttering when trying to do stuff once my town was built up (how weak is the wii?), but i easily got my $30 worth out of it (& i stand corrected - there is a game+ save, & 2 more difficulty levels, once you finish - plus, you can put that save in another slot, in case you wanna pick up from the pre-final boss battle as new content is released)...
  How long did it take?

That's like blaming owls because I suck at making analogies.
The Grue

View Profile
« Reply #59 on: May 26, 2008, 03:47:14 AM »

I finished up Lost Winds today.  I really like the game and it will be nice to see how do the sequel, with respect to seeing what else they can do with the controls.  I really liked how you used the wiimote to draw the wind patterns to move, push fire, float, etc.  Really cute game.

semiconscious

View Profile
« Reply #60 on: May 26, 2008, 04:13:18 AM »

Quote from: Bullwinkle on May 26, 2008, 02:54:49 AM

Quote from: semiconscious on May 25, 2008, 08:37:00 PM

How long did it take?

i'd say around 18-20 hours, tho i spent lots of time running around raising morale & did a couple major revisions of how the town was laid out. i also got stuck on a particular boss:

Spoiler for Hiden:
cactuar?! - smile

which chewed up some time...

one thing i found to be kinda weird: i settled on 3 parties (12 adventurers), which worked fine, but, for whatever reason, when i'd post a bequest, i could never get more than 2 of'm signing on for it - obviously not a game-breaker or anything, but i'm not sure just what that was all about (unless it was just to extend the game)...

JSL

View Profile
« Reply #61 on: May 27, 2008, 04:18:38 PM »

I finished LostWinds last night and it was a great experience. A lot of love went into that game and it really showed. The biggest downside to the game is that it is short; it took me 3.5 hours to finish it. I will probably play it again though, as it is fun and enjoyable. I am glad they are already working on the sequel.

Has anyone picked up Dr. Mario yet?
Tebunker

Ask How, Ask Now, Ask me

View Profile
« Reply #62 on: June 08, 2008, 04:38:14 PM »

Quote from: JSL on May 27, 2008, 04:18:38 PM

I finished LostWinds last night and it was a great experience. A lot of love went into that game and it really showed. The biggest downside to the game is that it is short; it took me 3.5 hours to finish it. I will probably play it again though, as it is fun and enjoyable. I am glad they are already working on the sequel.

Has anyone picked up Dr. Mario yet?

I just finished lost winds, about 2:20 on the clock, but I had died a couple times at the last major puzzle and had to restart. It was a fun little game, worth the money, and I hope that the sequel is a full fledged disc based game. I want to play through the whole thing, not episodes.

"I hate cynicism -- it's my least favorite quality and it doesn't lead anywhere. Nobody in life gets exactly what they thought they were going to get. But if you work really hard and you're kind amazing things will happen." - Conan O'Brien
JCC

View Profile
« Reply #63 on: August 12, 2008, 01:51:26 PM »

After playing and enjoying Braid, I figured it was long past time to pick up the other puzzley platformer I had wanted to check out for a while. So, I got Lost Winds last night. Wow, this is just a beautiful game. And, it's a lot of fun so far. The controls work much better than I expected, though this game may be the Wii title that finally gives me wrist fatigue as you are constantly waggling. The world seems pretty large to me, but given reports on the game's brevity, I expect I have seen most of it already. I'm definitely glad I picked this up.

-John

XBox Live ID: "JCC Davros"
JCC

View Profile
« Reply #64 on: August 14, 2008, 02:10:49 AM »

Lost Winds was pretty freaking great. It's biggest flaw is that it's really a bit too easy. I finished it at just over 3.5 hours. I really enjoyed the boss fight at the end. I hope this does well enough to warrant further installments or even a full game release on disc. Fracture did a great job.

-John

XBox Live ID: "JCC Davros"
Pages: 1 [2]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: