http://gamingtrend.com
October 01, 2014, 08:50:32 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: [1] 2   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Wii: What VC games have you downloaded?  (Read 3396 times)
Lee
Gaming Trend Senior Member

View Profile
« on: November 24, 2006, 10:58:14 PM »

I haven't downloaded a one. Tempted to get F-Zero, but haven't.

So what have you downloaded? Was it worth it?
Andrew Mallon

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: November 24, 2006, 11:04:18 PM »

Microsoft's and Nintendo's download services are dead to me. I refuse to use tokens (or points or whatever they want to call them). They've got to be making a fortune on both the interest float on your money as well as points that will never be redeemed.

Sort of related, I was astounded recently when I read a review of Microsoft's Zune and they mentioned that you have to use points to buy stuff from their music store. That alone will sink the service.
ATB

Thanks for everything, Ryan. 1979-2013

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 24, 2006, 11:51:38 PM »

They got the ball, they make the rules.

You're right though.  But that's the breaks, Tito.
Hetz

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 24, 2006, 11:56:28 PM »

I got Zelda, Super Mario 64, Bonks Adventure and Bomberman '93. They are all pretty good but they need a better selection ASAP.

XBox Live: Hetz OO
PSN: Hetz76
Steam: hetz_gg
WinoMcCougarstein

View Profile WWW
« Reply #4 on: November 25, 2006, 12:44:13 AM »

None for me so far.  Probably wont be getting them anytime soon either.

Destructor
Special Project Group

▲▲▼▼◄►◄►B A Start

View Profile WWW
« Reply #5 on: November 25, 2006, 12:53:35 AM »

I've pulled the original Zelda and F-Zero. Having a lot of fun with them, but obviously the true Zelda is getting the brunt of my Wii playing time right now. Perfect emulation on both, BTW.

Now if I could only get the Virtual Console Controller... Stupid Gamestop STILL hasn't gotten a single one in yet.

"All opinions posted are my own, and not those of my employers, who are appalled."
The Grue

You are likely to be eaten by a grue.

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: November 25, 2006, 01:10:18 AM »

I have Super Mario 64.  There are a few others I want, but I have too many Wii games and not enough time to play as it is, so I can't justify buying more.  I will get more when things slow down a little.

XBox Live ID: The Grue
Playstation Network Name: TheGrue
motodd
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: November 25, 2006, 05:26:19 AM »

I grabbed Bonk and Sim City. As for the points thing at least Nintendo's makes a bit more sense, 1 point = 1 cent. What is it for Microsoft's?? 1 point = 8 cents??
depward

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: November 25, 2006, 05:55:58 AM »

Quote from: Destructor on November 25, 2006, 12:53:35 AM

I've pulled the original Zelda and F-Zero. Having a lot of fun with them, but obviously the true Zelda is getting the brunt of my Wii playing time right now. Perfect emulation on both, BTW.

Now if I could only get the Virtual Console Controller... Stupid Gamestop STILL hasn't gotten a single one in yet.
Indeed, had a dandy of a time trying to get a Classic Controller.  Thing is - ordered one straight from Nintendo and THEY'RE telling me to expect my shipment around December 18th!

depward on the Playstation Network
raaaaaawwwwwwr on Xbox Live
Kobra

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: November 25, 2006, 09:26:40 AM »

Quote from: Andrew Mallon on November 24, 2006, 11:04:18 PM

Microsoft's and Nintendo's download services are dead to me. I refuse to use tokens (or points or whatever they want to call them). They've got to be making a fortune on both the interest float on your money as well as points that will never be redeemed.

Sort of related, I was astounded recently when I read a review of Microsoft's Zune and they mentioned that you have to use points to buy stuff from their music store. That alone will sink the service.

Point systems are the "Lens Flare" of residual income for companies now..  They take your money, put it into HIY accounts, suck up massive interest, then hope you never use your points and lock up your money into their service.  First companies moved to "Monthly" fee services to play off peoples inability, or lack of desire to "Cancel" something - and how people can't add properly and don't think over the long term with services.  That worked great, but it wasn't enough. Now companies are moving to these prepay point type systems left and right, and it isn't just the console companies.

I want no part of that shit myself, I am pretty strongly adverse to monthly play type services, but I am extremely adverse to ones that make me prepay and hold onto my money - money I would be earning 5%+ interest on.

All truth goes through three stages: first it is ridiculed: then it is
violently opposed: finally it is accepted as self evident. - Schopenhauer
Arkon

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: November 25, 2006, 11:43:41 AM »

I have no problem with the points system.  I generally carry very little balance of points anyways.  I thought part of the reason for a points system is they have no way of doing small charges like 50 cents or $1.00?
Destructor
Special Project Group

▲▲▼▼◄►◄►B A Start

View Profile WWW
« Reply #11 on: November 25, 2006, 02:02:58 PM »

Quote from: motodd on November 25, 2006, 05:26:19 AM

I grabbed Bonk and Sim City. As for the points thing at least Nintendo's makes a bit more sense, 1 point = 1 cent. What is it for Microsoft's?? 1 point = 8 cents??

I think Microsoft's is 1 point = .8 cents. It's something non equal, that much is for sure.

"All opinions posted are my own, and not those of my employers, who are appalled."
Tebunker

Ask How, Ask Now, Ask me

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: November 25, 2006, 02:12:54 PM »

Yeah 100 Microsoft Points = .80 cents 100 Nintendo Points = 1.00 USD

Here's the thing, I really don't see how these companies make any extra money when you buy your points at retail. So you can go that route. In fact I would say that they lose money that way. On top of that, spend all your points at once. So wait till you see 2 or 3 things you want and get them all at once, and then you're not supporting a corporations evil mechinations to make money! Gasp!

Me personally, I have Solomon's Key and Bonk. I easgerly await to see if we get our first update this monday. We've got 5 weeks for Nintendo to deliver roughly 20 Virutal Console titles. They said we'd have 32 by years end, with weekly updates on Monday. So if we got 4 new games a week through the system I'd be very happy with that. I am definately holding out for Gunstar Heroes for this year and possibly another TG 16 title.

"I hate cynicism -- it's my least favorite quality and it doesn't lead anywhere. Nobody in life gets exactly what they thought they were going to get. But if you work really hard and you're kind amazing things will happen." - Conan O'Brien
Lee

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: November 25, 2006, 03:39:02 PM »

I am always shocked what people get upset about. I never have more than 100 points sitting on XBL. If MS makes a few cents interest on that, good for them, put it towards giving me new shit.
Kevin Grey
Global Moderator

View Profile
« Reply #14 on: November 25, 2006, 05:48:54 PM »

Quote from: Arkon on November 25, 2006, 11:43:41 AM

I have no problem with the points system.  I generally carry very little balance of points anyways.  I thought part of the reason for a points system is they have no way of doing small charges like 50 cents or $1.00?

Yet, somehow I manage to charge my credit/debit card every morning at 7-11 for a dollar cup of coffee.

MS uses points for two big reasons:

1)  As noted above, by making you buy in bulk not only do they get an interest free loan but there will be those out there who buy $20 worth of points just for Geometry Wars and never, ever use anymore points, which means MS pockets the difference.

2) The idea of points uncouples the charge from real money, especially since MS doesn't use a 1:1 point/dollar ratio.  So you can say something costs 500 or 1000 points without making it too obvious what the actual dollar amount your spending is. 
EngineNo9

I said good day, sir!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #15 on: November 25, 2006, 06:57:00 PM »

Quote from: Kevin Grey on November 25, 2006, 05:48:54 PM

Quote from: Arkon on November 25, 2006, 11:43:41 AM

Yet, somehow I manage to charge my credit/debit card every morning at 7-11 for a dollar cup of coffee.

MS uses points for two big reasons:

1)  As noted above, by making you buy in bulk not only do they get an interest free loan but there will be those out there who buy $20 worth of points just for Geometry Wars and never, ever use anymore points, which means MS pockets the difference.

2) The idea of points uncouples the charge from real money, especially since MS doesn't use a 1:1 point/dollar ratio.  So you can say something costs 500 or 1000 points without making it too obvious what the actual dollar amount your spending is. 

Perhaps your dollar morning coffee costs more than a dollar, because I've never been able to use my debit/credit card for purchases under $1 when I forgot I didn't have cash.  Part of the reason they do that is because each transaction costs them an interchange fee as well as processing fees. 

The other points are also valid reasons for them to use that system, though.  In addition you will often end up with extra points that aren't enough to buy something large so they either sit in the system or get spent on something you might not have otherwise bought.  That's a win-win for them. 

Sandwiches do fix everything.
Kevin Grey
Global Moderator

View Profile
« Reply #16 on: November 26, 2006, 03:09:35 AM »

Quote from: EngineNo9 on November 25, 2006, 06:57:00 PM

Perhaps your dollar morning coffee costs more than a dollar, because I've never been able to use my debit/credit card for purchases under $1 when I forgot I didn't have cash.  Part of the reason they do that is because each transaction costs them an interchange fee as well as processing fees. 

Yeah, it's technically $1.08 or something like it with tax (.99 refill).  However, I've used my debit card for a .50 candy bar as well.  Yeah there is a cost to the store associated with using the cards and some smaller stores still pull the $10.00 minimum credit card purchase crap, but in this day and age I expect (and find) that most stores don't set minimums anymore.  If they have to eat some of the charge then it's the cost of keeping me as a customer.  I carry very little cash these days and there is no quicker way to lose me as a customer than limit my use of my debit card. 

Considering the scarcity of items on Live that cost less than a dollar as well as the enormous costs associated with console development elsewhere, I feel pretty confident that MS's reasoning on points has a helluva lot more to do with my two points than with the fees they'd incur if each purchase was done a la carte. 
jersoc

View Profile
« Reply #17 on: November 26, 2006, 07:59:49 AM »

Quote from: Kobra on November 25, 2006, 09:26:40 AM

Quote from: Andrew Mallon on November 24, 2006, 11:04:18 PM

Point systems are the "Lens Flare" of residual income for companies now..  They take your money, put it into HIY accounts, suck up massive interest, then hope you never use your points and lock up your money into their service.  First companies moved to "Monthly" fee services to play off peoples inability, or lack of desire to "Cancel" something - and how people can't add properly and don't think over the long term with services.  That worked great, but it wasn't enough. Now companies are moving to these prepay point type systems left and right, and it isn't just the console companies.

I want no part of that shit myself, I am pretty strongly adverse to monthly play type services, but I am extremely adverse to ones that make me prepay and hold onto my money - money I would be earning 5%+ interest on.

so why not, i dunno, maybe just add points when you want to buy something like i will be doing? i mean nintendo's point system is pretty easy to figure where as MS you need a math degree or something. I mean honestly, is that so hard to do? Believe it or not, I dont think the gaming world is out to destroy you.
metallicorphan

View Profile
« Reply #18 on: November 26, 2006, 12:40:17 PM »

which zelda is available at the moment?...is the N64 zelda games available yet?...i heard they were gonna appear

Manchester United Premier League Champions 2013!!

Xbox LIVE:Metallicorphan
Wii:8565 1513 0206 1960
PSN:Metallicorphan
Destructor
Special Project Group

▲▲▼▼◄►◄►B A Start

View Profile WWW
« Reply #19 on: November 26, 2006, 01:44:10 PM »

Quote from: metallicorphan on November 26, 2006, 12:40:17 PM

which zelda is available at the moment?...is the N64 zelda games available yet?...i heard they were gonna appear

The NES Zelda 1 is the only Zelda title on the VC right now. I'm guessing the other 4 (1 NES, 1 SNES, and 2 N64) will show up eventually, but I'm not guessing anytime soon. Why put out all of their top hits now?

metallicorphan

View Profile
« Reply #20 on: December 09, 2006, 06:43:23 PM »

i have downloaded sonic the hedgehog,and donkey kong country...sonic is pretty dire..hasnt stood the test of time IMO,although it was the second one which i was more fond off
donkey kong country on the other hand has really done well,came out in 94..so 12 nearly 13 years old....still pretty cool graphics and good gameplay

stuntgibbon
Game Dev
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #21 on: December 09, 2006, 07:00:47 PM »

So far, I downloaded Wario Woods, Ristar, Golden Axe, Super Star Soldier, Bonk and Bomberman 93.  I got exactly what i thought i would, so I suppose that's working out for me.   I personally like having downloadable games saved on my console, so without getting up to change the game you can take breaks with simpler games.  Like be playing Zelda for awhile, then exit out and do a couple Ristar levels or something. 

stuntgibbon
Game Dev
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #22 on: December 09, 2006, 07:08:27 PM »

BTW which territory has DKC?  It's not on VC in the States yet.
Zarkon

View Profile WWW
« Reply #23 on: December 09, 2006, 07:26:59 PM »

I haven't gotten anything.  Don't need Zelda, as I've got that Gamecube compilation disc smile
Misguided
Gaming Trend Staff

Semi-acquatic egg-laying mammal of action

View Profile
« Reply #24 on: December 09, 2006, 08:07:13 PM »

I used to absolutely love a shareware game called Stardust
It looks like that game may have been based on Solomon's Key, so that's one I'm interested in.

Ruining language with my terrible words.
Bullwinkle
Gaming Trend Staff

Watch me pull a rabbit outta my hat.

View Profile
« Reply #25 on: December 09, 2006, 09:12:28 PM »

I got Bonk and Ecco and Ristar (I like platformers) and F-Zero, which was a mistake for me.

Form the ones coming soon, I'm looking forward to Toe Jam & Earl and Donkey Kong Country (I like platformers) and maybe Dungeon Explorer and Gunstar Heroes.  And if Monday brings Alien Crush, then that too.

For the folks who got Bomberman '93.  Are you just playing multiplayer?  How is the single player side of it?  Useless or a little fun?

That's like blaming owls because I suck at making analogies.
weleavefossils
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile WWW
« Reply #26 on: December 09, 2006, 09:15:03 PM »

do you think they will ever take down games from that catalog, or just keep having it grow?  Man if I had a wii I would love to get Bonk.  Definitely saves time to have to dig out the old Turbo. 

Wii 5882-3358-1683-0643
Misguided
Gaming Trend Staff

Semi-acquatic egg-laying mammal of action

View Profile
« Reply #27 on: December 09, 2006, 09:18:02 PM »

BTW. I love pinball, but find it surprising there's broad interest in it. What's so special about Alien Crush?

Ruining language with my terrible words.
stuntgibbon
Game Dev
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #28 on: December 09, 2006, 09:18:57 PM »

Bomberman 93 is mostly for the multiplayer, but the main game isn't bad.  It's pretty similar to most of them, where you gradually ramp up while clearing the boards and picking up little items to increase speed, bomb distance, # of bombs and so on.  

Quote from: weleavefossils on December 09, 2006, 09:15:03 PM

do you think they will ever take down games from that catalog, or just keep having it grow?  Man if I had a wii I would love to get Bonk.  Definitely saves time to have to dig out the old Turbo. 

I bet they'll leave them all up like XLA has done so far.  It's better from a business perspective if no matter when you buy your Wii, you have a chance to find something you might like on the service.  It also works like cell phone games, so while there's not a TON of space on the system to start, you can simply redownload at no charge if you need to clear some room.
Knightshade Dragon
Administrator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #29 on: December 09, 2006, 09:25:22 PM »

Nothing.  Absolutely nothing.

Ron Burke
EiC, Director of Gaming Trend
Gamertag:
Gaming Trend
PS3 Tag: GamingTrend
stuntgibbon
Game Dev
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #30 on: December 09, 2006, 09:28:33 PM »

Quote from: Knightshade Dragon on December 09, 2006, 09:25:22 PM

Nothing.  Absolutely nothing.

Such a party poop.
ROTC1983

Is it really that Kampfy?

View Profile
« Reply #31 on: December 09, 2006, 11:31:04 PM »

I haven't gotten anything yet either...to tell you the truth, the only time I went to the store was when I accidentally clicked on it. 

Laner

Badassfully

View Profile WWW
« Reply #32 on: December 10, 2006, 12:30:35 AM »

I wonder if those worrying about giving MS/Nintendo an "interest-free loan " are planning on getting a large tax return this year...
metallicorphan

View Profile
« Reply #33 on: December 10, 2006, 05:05:00 AM »

Quote from: stuntgibbon on December 09, 2006, 07:08:27 PM

BTW which territory has DKC?  It's not on VC in the States yet.
#
yeah sorry i think its just europe...or at least UK...i have heard(but dont quote me)12th december you guys get it...but thats a tuesday

i wish we had sim city,i loved that game and played it for hours,and then bombed it down with a tornado icon_neutral

Zinfan

View Profile
« Reply #34 on: December 10, 2006, 07:06:01 PM »

Nothing yet but I'll grab a few once my classic controller shows up.  I got one off of Amazon (thanks to JSL over at OO for the heads up) before they sold out.
denoginizer

View Profile
« Reply #35 on: December 11, 2006, 12:14:20 AM »

Are there demos of the VC games available or are you expected to buy the games on face value?

It seems to me that the prices of these games are too high for what you are getting.

Xbox Live Tag: denoginizer
PSN Name: denoginizer
Lee

View Profile
« Reply #36 on: December 11, 2006, 12:21:38 AM »

Quote from: denoginizer on December 11, 2006, 12:14:20 AM

Are there demos of the VC games available or are you expected to buy the games on face value?

It seems to me that the prices of these games are too high for what you are getting.

Nope, and yes the system needs work. They could learn a lot form MS.
metallicorphan

View Profile
« Reply #37 on: December 11, 2006, 01:19:02 AM »

see this page for what country got what..not inc japan

http://www.meanmachinesmag.co.uk/wii/available_now.php

this site is pretty good actually,quite handy,says we in the UK are getting sim city come the end of december

then ther is this page,LOL

http://www.meanmachinesmag.co.uk/wii/coming_soon.php

metallicorphan

View Profile
« Reply #38 on: December 11, 2006, 01:20:57 AM »

Quote from: Zarkon on December 09, 2006, 07:26:59 PM

I haven't gotten anything.  Don't need Zelda, as I've got that Gamecube compilation disc smile

hey Zarkon i have that disc as well,i didnt think it got released in America

Ridah
Senior Staff Writer

View Profile
« Reply #39 on: December 11, 2006, 01:28:12 AM »

donkey kong country on the other hand has really done well,

DKC is one of the best games of all-time in my opinion, it screams quality. I almost want a Wii just for this game, hehe.

Sean Lama
Senior Staff Editor, GamingTrend
Pages: [1] 2   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: