http://gamingtrend.com
August 02, 2014, 12:26:30 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: 1 ... 11 12 [13] 14   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Wii U  (Read 18104 times)
Glycerine
Gaming Trend Senior Member

View Profile
« Reply #480 on: May 01, 2014, 06:56:37 PM »

Quote from: Lordnine on April 18, 2014, 05:38:03 PM

I am always a little puzzled when I hear about people having network problems with their WiiUís.  Maybe I just got lucky but I have never had trouble getting them to sync up instantly, even when Iíve brought it to other peopleís houses.  My router also has two walls between it and the console so Iím not sure why distance is a problem for you unless you live in a lead bunker.

Same here, my WiiU is upstairs on the opposite side of the house and I've never had a problem.

Roguetad

View Profile
« Reply #481 on: May 01, 2014, 08:00:55 PM »

Quote from: Glycerine on May 01, 2014, 06:56:37 PM

Quote from: Lordnine on April 18, 2014, 05:38:03 PM

I am always a little puzzled when I hear about people having network problems with their WiiUís.  Maybe I just got lucky but I have never had trouble getting them to sync up instantly, even when Iíve brought it to other peopleís houses.  My router also has two walls between it and the console so Iím not sure why distance is a problem for you unless you live in a lead bunker.

Same here, my WiiU is upstairs on the opposite side of the house and I've never had a problem.
My Wii U has better wifi connectivity than my 360 and ps3.  I ended up connecting both the ps3 and 360 directly to my router via LAN cables.  I just assumed the older machines used older wifi tech than the Wii U.     
Ridah
Senior Staff Writer

View Profile
« Reply #482 on: May 01, 2014, 08:37:36 PM »

I've heard that switching my router from 802.11 N to 802.11 G might help significantly, I haven't actually tried it yet.

Sean Lama
Senior Staff Editor, GamingTrend
EddieA

View Profile
« Reply #483 on: May 21, 2014, 11:50:48 AM »

Has anyone tried using a USB flash drive with the Wii U for extra storage?  I know Nintendo doesn't recommend it, but I would just be using it to store game downloads.  Since the "8 GB" model is actually 3 GB, I don't have enough room to download the free game that comes with Mario Kart 8.

"Why did the chicken cross the Mobius strip?  To get to the same side."  - The Big Bang Theory
Lordnine

Lord of the Rutabagas

View Profile WWW
« Reply #484 on: May 21, 2014, 02:43:03 PM »

I havenít tried a flash drive personally but I think it needs to be a powered device to work.  I have a 2 terabyte external hard drive hitched up to my WiiU.
The Grue

You are likely to be eaten by a grue.

View Profile
« Reply #485 on: May 21, 2014, 03:11:29 PM »

Quote from: EddieA on May 21, 2014, 11:50:48 AM

Has anyone tried using a USB flash drive with the Wii U for extra storage?  I know Nintendo doesn't recommend it, but I would just be using it to store game downloads.  Since the "8 GB" model is actually 3 GB, I don't have enough room to download the free game that comes with Mario Kart 8.

Nintendo actually has a few hard drives they officially recommend.  I just bought a 1TB drive from Amazon that is not externally powered, but you have to buy a USB Y cable so that you can pull power from one and connect with the other.  I'll be getting it Thursday, but I saw others use this particular drive with the Y cable and they say it works.  I've gone completely digital with games and Wii U was the last console that I didn't.  I went to go buy Donkey Kong and didn't have the space, so bought the disc, but since Mario Kart is coming out, I decided to go ahead and buy the drive.

XBox Live ID: The Grue
Playstation Network Name: TheGrue
Belgedin
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #486 on: May 21, 2014, 04:26:00 PM »

I'm using a USB thumb drive right now and it seems to be working really well.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
The Grue

View Profile
« Reply #487 on: May 22, 2014, 04:24:44 PM »

Quote from: The Grue on May 21, 2014, 03:11:29 PM

Quote from: EddieA on May 21, 2014, 11:50:48 AM

Has anyone tried using a USB flash drive with the Wii U for extra storage?  I know Nintendo doesn't recommend it, but I would just be using it to store game downloads.  Since the "8 GB" model is actually 3 GB, I don't have enough room to download the free game that comes with Mario Kart 8.

Nintendo actually has a few hard drives they officially recommend.  I just bought a 1TB drive from Amazon that is not externally powered, but you have to buy a USB Y cable so that you can pull power from one and connect with the other.  I'll be getting it Thursday, but I saw others use this particular drive with the Y cable and they say it works.  I've gone completely digital with games and Wii U was the last console that I didn't.  I went to go buy Donkey Kong and didn't have the space, so bought the disc, but since Mario Kart is coming out, I decided to go ahead and buy the drive.

Alright, got the drive and Y cable in and it works great.  It obviously uses up both USB ports in the back, so if they ever actually came out with something that needed one of those ports in the back, I'd either be SOL or maybe maybe would have to get another  USB splitter or something.  I copied over Mario 3D World and loaded it up and it worked like a charm.  Here's what I ordered:

Y Cable
1TB Hard Drive

Sadly, the Wii U probably won't live long enough for me to ever come close to filling this drive.

Edit to be sure to make it clear that I went with this particular drive solution because it doesn't require external power.  I have so many things plugged into the outlets by where my TV is that I didn't want one that needed me to plug in an AC adapter.
« Last Edit: May 22, 2014, 04:28:02 PM by The Grue » Logged

Fireball

View Profile WWW
« Reply #488 on: June 12, 2014, 07:09:59 PM »

So, the release of Mario Kart and the video of the upcoming Zelda game have me longing for a Wii U. I've had basically every Nintendo console except for the SNES, but haven't bitten on the Wii U because it sees like it might be a waste of money. Other than Mario Kart, Super Mario Bros U, and the upcoming Zelda and Star Fox games, are there enough games to make it worth the price?

Are there any baseball games at all?

EngineNo9

I said good day, sir!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #489 on: June 12, 2014, 07:22:46 PM »

Quote from: Fireball on June 12, 2014, 07:09:59 PM

So, the release of Mario Kart and the video of the upcoming Zelda game have me longing for a Wii U. I've had basically every Nintendo console except for the SNES, but haven't bitten on the Wii U because it sees like it might be a waste of money. Other than Mario Kart, Super Mario Bros U, and the upcoming Zelda and Star Fox games, are there enough games to make it worth the price?

Are there any baseball games at all?

Personally I think a Wii U is worth owning even just for the first party games, and there are a few third party games that I consider gravy on top. 

In addition to the ones you mentioned and all of the others coming soon or next year, Pikmin 3 is really good and just got another update.  Super Mario 3D World of course.  LEGO City Undercover was a great LEGO version of GTA.  Wind Waker HD is a good update if you want to play that again.  Apparently Donkey Kong: Tropical Freeze is also good if you like those games (I haven't played it).  Rayman Legends was basically made for the Wii U.

So with the ones you mentioned that sounds like about 8 games already out that are an easy good bet, and then there are those on the horizion for later this year and next.
« Last Edit: June 12, 2014, 07:25:48 PM by EngineNo9 » Logged

Sandwiches do fix everything.
Lordnine

Lord of the Rutabagas

View Profile WWW
« Reply #490 on: June 12, 2014, 07:30:47 PM »

I posted this list in the E3 thread but it could go here as well.  As far as exclusives go, Nintendo crushed the competition this year.  Whether or not you care about those exclusives might be another matter.

Upcoming Exclusive WiiU Games
Zelda WiiU
Splatoon WiiU
Devilís Third WiiU
Starfox WiiU
Mario Maker WiiU
Project Giant Robot WiiU
Project Guard WiiU
Kirby Canvas Course WiiU
Xeno Blade Chronicles X WiiU
Captain Toad Treasure Hunt WiiU
Mario Party 10 WiiU
Mario vs Donkey Kong WiiU
Art Academy WiiU

Previously Announced Upcoming Exclusives
Bayonetta 2 (comes with Bayonetta 1) WiiU
Yoshi Wooly World WiiU
Hyrule Warriors WiiU
Super Smash Bros WiiU

As for games already on the system, I think the WiiU is a GREAT local co-op/ party console and still has a decent lineup of unique single player games.  Just donít expect a lot of 3rd party games.

Games already out worth a look:
Pikmin 3
Super Mario 3D World
Zombi U (First person zombie survival horror in the vein of Dark Souls.  Emphasis on survival, donít expect an action game.)
The Wonderful 101 (Made by the guys behind Bayonetta and METAL GEAR RISING: REVENGEANCE)
Donkey Kong Country Tropical Freeze
Zelda Windwaker HD
Mario Kart 8
Super Mario WiiU (Best 2D Mario since Super Mario World in my opinion)
Monster Hunter 3 Ultimate
Lego City Undercover (Lego GTA)
Rayman Legends (Not technically exclusive anymore but it is the best version of the game)
« Last Edit: June 12, 2014, 07:35:39 PM by Lordnine » Logged
Scraper
Gaming Trend Staff

View Profile
« Reply #491 on: June 12, 2014, 07:36:02 PM »

Looking over at Amazon, they have a ton of WiiU games on sale right now. Rayman Legends is $15, Mass Effect 3 is $5, AC3 is $12, Batman is $10 as are some other notables. I would be all over them if I had a WiiU.
« Last Edit: June 12, 2014, 07:40:33 PM by Scraper » Logged

" And they are a strong and frightening force, impervious to, and immunized against, the feeble lance of mere reason." Isaac Asimov
farley2k

View Profile
« Reply #492 on: June 12, 2014, 08:25:09 PM »

I picked up ME 3.  I know I will probably never get to playing it but $5 is worth wasting. 

farley2k

View Profile
« Reply #493 on: June 12, 2014, 08:26:07 PM »

Clueless Gamer: Conan Reviews "Super Smash Bros."

Worth watching.  It is pretty funny.

Lordnine

Lord of the Rutabagas

View Profile WWW
« Reply #494 on: June 12, 2014, 09:12:19 PM »

Iím really surprised Nintendo authorized that.  Pretty funny.
Roguetad

View Profile
« Reply #495 on: June 12, 2014, 10:59:35 PM »

I wish it was simpler.  I wish they made a game where a guy goes for a walk...and at the end eats a cookie.  It would just have a button for walking forward, and one for Eat Cookie.  
Fireball

View Profile WWW
« Reply #496 on: June 13, 2014, 01:49:44 PM »

Bought the Wii U last night. Mario Kart 8 is awesome!

farley2k

View Profile
« Reply #497 on: June 13, 2014, 02:37:31 PM »

Quote from: Fireball on June 13, 2014, 01:49:44 PM

What is your user name so I can friend you up?  Hopefully I can get some time to play tonight.

Fireball

View Profile WWW
« Reply #498 on: June 13, 2014, 08:31:26 PM »

Quote from: farley2k on June 13, 2014, 02:37:31 PM

Quote from: Fireball on June 13, 2014, 01:49:44 PM

What is your user name so I can friend you up?  Hopefully I can get some time to play tonight.

rkm1977

Autistic Angel

View Profile
« Reply #499 on: June 13, 2014, 08:53:40 PM »

Did you get the new update that allows you to launch directly into the last game you played?

-Autistic Angel
Ridah
Senior Staff Writer

View Profile
« Reply #500 on: June 13, 2014, 11:32:45 PM »

Zelda looks fantastic. Nothing else caught my attention, though. I would love for the Wii U to start turning around, maybe after a few more releases and another price drop it will find its groove.

Sean Lama
Senior Staff Editor, GamingTrend
Lordnine

Lord of the Rutabagas

View Profile WWW
« Reply #501 on: June 14, 2014, 01:53:10 AM »

Quote from: Fireball on June 13, 2014, 08:31:26 PM

rkm1977
Not found.  icon_cry
Fireball

View Profile WWW
« Reply #502 on: June 16, 2014, 02:00:13 PM »

Sorry, try rkm1701

Bullwinkle
Gaming Trend Staff

Watch me pull a rabbit outta my hat.

View Profile
« Reply #503 on: June 16, 2014, 02:05:26 PM »

Quote from: Lordnine on June 14, 2014, 01:53:10 AM

rkm1977
Not found.  icon_cry

Quote from: Fireball on June 16, 2014, 02:00:13 PM

Sorry, try rkm1701

How old are you?!

That's like blaming owls because I suck at making analogies.
wonderpug

hmm...

View Profile
« Reply #504 on: June 16, 2014, 02:48:08 PM »

Quote from: Bullwinkle on June 16, 2014, 02:05:26 PM

rkm1977
Not found.  icon_cry

Sorry, try rkm1701

How old are you?!

And why aren't you at your post?
Roguetad

View Profile
« Reply #505 on: June 17, 2014, 12:36:25 AM »

Quote from: wonderpug on June 16, 2014, 02:48:08 PM

Quote from: Bullwinkle on June 16, 2014, 02:05:26 PM

rkm1977
Not found.  icon_cry

Sorry, try rkm1701

How old are you?!

And why aren't you at your post?
It should be jtk1701
Fireball

View Profile WWW
« Reply #506 on: June 17, 2014, 05:14:02 PM »

So I downloaded New Super Mario Bros U, and it is also great. I clearly don't think like a "gamer" because I can't figure out why this system isn't doing well. Is it just the graphic processing power? 

wonderpug

hmm...

View Profile
« Reply #507 on: June 17, 2014, 05:22:18 PM »

Quote from: Fireball on June 17, 2014, 05:14:02 PM

So I downloaded New Super Mario Bros U, and it is also great. I clearly don't think like a "gamer" because I can't figure out why this system isn't doing well. Is it just the graphic processing power? 

I think that they completely lost the audience from the original Wii.  On multiple occasions I've seen shoppers in big box stores confused about Wii U versus Wii.  "Will these Wii U games work on my Wii?  Is the Wii U an add-on?"

Then for people like me, so far the system cost to available game ratio has been off.  I'm not against buying a Box that Plays Nintendo Exclusives, but I need more exclusives or a cheaper box.  I think they're finally getting the library built up enough to make me tempted, but I'd still like to see the price come down or see a great system+game bundle released.
Fireball

View Profile WWW
« Reply #508 on: June 17, 2014, 05:52:30 PM »

Quote from: wonderpug on June 17, 2014, 05:22:18 PM

I think that they completely lost the audience from the original Wii.  On multiple occasions I've seen shoppers in big box stores confused about Wii U versus Wii.  "Will these Wii U games work on my Wii?  Is the Wii U an add-on?"

I can see that. The name is a bit too similar. Perhaps it would have been better to brand it as something new, and slap "Compatible with your Wii software and controllers" on the box a few times.

Then for people like me, so far the system cost to available game ratio has been off.  I'm not against buying a Box that Plays Nintendo Exclusives, but I need more exclusives or a cheaper box.  I think they're finally getting the library built up enough to make me tempted, but I'd still like to see the price come down or see a great system+game bundle released.

Yeah, makes sense. I rarely jump onto new Nintendo consoles until a Zelda game is released. Mario Kart did it for me this time ó particularly since the bundle includes a download of the Mario Bros game, which is a good deal.

Roguetad

View Profile
« Reply #509 on: June 17, 2014, 08:15:05 PM »

The Wii U already has a good library of very fun games.  They're a good alternative or compliment to the standard fare multi-platform first person shooters and more violent action games released on the other consoles.  If the budget allows, it's a good 2nd console to a ps4/xbo or pc. 

I'd argue that the Wii U is the best value of the newer consoles because of the existing library.  Lots of good games.  These are just the ones that my family has played a lot of: Super Mario 3d World, Donkey Kong: TF, Lego City Undercover, Legend of Zelda Wind Waker, Mario Kart 8, Wonderful 101 & Pikmin 3.  We've also played a lot of Rayman Legends (I know it's multi-platform but the gamepad support for Murphy is unique).     

Bullwinkle
Gaming Trend Staff

Watch me pull a rabbit outta my hat.

View Profile
« Reply #510 on: June 17, 2014, 09:54:41 PM »

Quote from: Roguetad on June 17, 2014, 08:15:05 PM

The Wii U already has a good library of very fun games.  They're a good alternative or compliment to the standard fare multi-platform first person shooters and more violent action games released on the other consoles.  If the budget allows, it's a good 2nd console to a ps4/xbo or pc. 

I'd argue that the Wii U is the best value of the newer consoles because of the existing library.  Lots of good games.  These are just the ones that my family has played a lot of: Super Mario 3d World, Donkey Kong: TF, Lego City Undercover, Legend of Zelda Wind Waker, Mario Kart 8, Wonderful 101 & Pikmin 3.  We've also played a lot of Rayman Legends (I know it's multi-platform but the gamepad support for Murphy is unique).     

The fact that you can toss in all Wii games makes this an even better argument.

That's like blaming owls because I suck at making analogies.
Tebunker

Ask How, Ask Now, Ask me

View Profile
« Reply #511 on: June 19, 2014, 05:39:13 AM »

Are you in the US? Because Nintendo is selling factory "refurbished" deluxe systems on their site with a one year warranty and Nintendoland for $200. All reports from many purchasers is that these are new systems. Completely new systems in normal retail packaging. It looks like they are the dented box variety of refurb. So you could go that route, you can still get MK8 at Target right now for ~36$ and you can then get a free game download. So roughly $250 after taxes and shipping nets you the system and 3 games. I would say that is a fair price.

Not to mention Target is going to do a buy 2 get 1 free on WiiU titles next week.

"I hate cynicism -- it's my least favorite quality and it doesn't lead anywhere. Nobody in life gets exactly what they thought they were going to get. But if you work really hard and you're kind amazing things will happen." - Conan O'Brien
Lordnine

Lord of the Rutabagas

View Profile WWW
« Reply #512 on: June 19, 2014, 03:48:17 PM »

TVii just got an update.  I actually like the service quite a bit but have always found the poor battery life to be a serious deterrent from actually using it as a primary controller.

Quicker load times across the service
Easier access to your favorite sporting events, now including baseball! Now you can start predicting plays & climbing the leaderboard even faster
Enhanced search functionality for all your favorite channels, shows, movies and sports to find out whatís on
Increased TV Tag coverage to all shows on the top 70 channels
wonderpug

hmm...

View Profile
« Reply #513 on: June 19, 2014, 04:06:19 PM »

Quote from: Tebunker on June 19, 2014, 05:39:13 AM

Are you in the US? Because Nintendo is selling factory "refurbished" deluxe systems on their site with a one year warranty and Nintendoland for $200. All reports from many purchasers is that these are new systems. Completely new systems in normal retail packaging. It looks like they are the dented box variety of refurb. So you could go that route, you can still get MK8 at Target right now for ~36$ and you can then get a free game download. So roughly $250 after taxes and shipping nets you the system and 3 games. I would say that is a fair price.

Not to mention Target is going to do a buy 2 get 1 free on WiiU titles next week.

Thanks for that, if they really are just dented boxes then that is indeed pretty tempting.  I'll probably get a big temptation to buy this holiday season.
farley2k

View Profile
« Reply #514 on: June 19, 2014, 05:23:53 PM »

Very good video of Xenoblade Chronicles: X

I am much more interested after seeing this.

JCC

View Profile
« Reply #515 on: July 03, 2014, 07:00:16 PM »

So, last weekend I finally got to actually play with a Wii U for the first time. I came away very impressed. The controller is pretty comfortable and the screen is cool (though it was pretty ridden with fingerprints). I thought Mario Kart was just stunningly gorgeous. Is it true that if you transfer a Wii VC game then it can't be played remotely on the controller? That is QUITE lame if true. Still, I could see me putting this in the living room and using remote play of VC and other titles to make sitting through my wife's TV shows more tolerable. (Better yet would be a controller update which extends the range so I could hook it up in my basement but use the controller up in the living room...)

I would say this thing is a price drop and good Metroid/Zelda away from me being really tempted. I have almost given up all hope on this "new" gen since there is nothing on the horizon for the PS4/XB1 that I am interested in that can't be played on the PC. But, maybe I'll be suckered into yet another Nintendo console.

-John

XBox Live ID: "JCC Davros"
Belgedin
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #516 on: July 03, 2014, 09:12:52 PM »

You Have to update Wii VC transfers to play them on the pad. It's like $1-$1.50 to update NES and SNES games

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Lordnine

Lord of the Rutabagas

View Profile WWW
« Reply #517 on: July 03, 2014, 09:26:39 PM »

Unfortunately, you need to wait till they RELEASE an updated version to play on the pad in off-screen mode.  If you launch into Wii mode you can play them on the big screen, although, for some reason I donít understand, to play them in Wii mode you have to use a classic controller.
Jimmy the Fish

View Profile
« Reply #518 on: July 21, 2014, 05:48:21 PM »

Arise!  icon_biggrin

I just got a Wii U Deluxe over the weekend. When this thing first came out, I swore I would never get one, but the temptation was too much. There seems to be a critical mass of good games out or coming out in the next year that makes it worth getting now. I got Mario Kart 8, which is a total blast. I downloaded the Zelda HD remake as my freebie game and it looks pretty awesome. A couple of things were really annoying thought. First, the initial setup is such a long and convoluted process, particularly since you have to download what seems like a fairly large software update after connecting to the internet. Second, I knew the pad battery life was not great but holy cow, does it suck. I had to do a full recharge the next day. I ordered a Wii U Pro Controller which apparently has a really long charge capacity so while the pad is pretty cool in concept, I think I'll do most game playing with the other controller instead. I've seen a larger capacity battery for the pad on Amazon. Anyone have any experience with these?

The game I am really looking forward to is Bayonetta 2. I loved the first one and played the hell out of it on the Xbox 360, so the Wii U will be worth it just for the sequel.
The Grue

View Profile
« Reply #519 on: July 21, 2014, 05:53:16 PM »

Quote from: Jimmy the Fish on July 21, 2014, 05:48:21 PM

The game I am really looking forward to is Bayonetta 2. I loved the first one and played the hell out of it on the Xbox 360, so the Wii U will be worth it just for the sequel.

You also get a version of Bayonetta on the WiiU with it.  I imagine it will run better than the 360/PS3 version.

Pages: 1 ... 11 12 [13] 14   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: