http://gamingtrend.com
April 25, 2014, 07:24:59 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: 1 ... 9 10 [11] 12   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Wii U  (Read 15045 times)
Lordnine
Gaming Trend Senior Member

Lord of the Rutabagas

View Profile WWW
« Reply #400 on: April 17, 2013, 08:15:35 PM »

Some more news on the Wii U front.

Pikmin 3 has a release date set for August. (So much for launch window...)
Earthbound is finally getting a release in the US on the Wii U virtual console.

A ton of 3DS titles were also announced.
Lordnine

Lord of the Rutabagas

View Profile WWW
« Reply #401 on: April 26, 2013, 05:23:19 PM »

For those that donít know, Nintendo released a new firmware update late last night.  It drastically reduces load times on the system, up to 30 seconds faster in places.  

Also available today is the eShop, which launches with the following lineup:
Super Mario World
Ice Climber
Kirby's Adventure
Donkey Kong Jr
Balloon Fight
Excitebike
Punch Out!!
F-Zero
Wii U Panorama View

Not super impressive but I plan to pick up Super Mario World.  It will be worth it just to be able to play it on the game pad while doing other things around the house.

And finally, the Rayman: Legends Challenge app is now available.  I downloaded it yesterday and was surprisingly impressed with how well itís made.  You get one new level a day and one a week, you compete with other people from around the world.  Based on your previous score/time other players ďghostsĒ appear in the level to race with you.  As you beat peopleís scores you gain points and move up the leaderboard.  You can also easily friend anyone whose ghost is in the level with you.  

Itís very cool, if you have a WiiU you should download it and add me as a friend.
Bullwinkle
Gaming Trend Staff

Watch me pull a rabbit outta my hat.

View Profile
« Reply #402 on: May 25, 2013, 02:47:15 PM »

I'm mostly posting this because the title is brilliant:

Wii U Wii U Wii U: Is it time to call an ambulance for Nintendo's console?

It also is a clear-headed article about where the Wii U is and what the future does/should hold.

That's like blaming owls because I suck at making analogies.
Lordnine

Lord of the Rutabagas

View Profile WWW
« Reply #403 on: May 25, 2013, 03:07:31 PM »

In other news.... Wii U sales rank jumps 875% after Xbox reveal

And I know that doesn't mean much in the long term but when Microsoft is doing more to sell the WiiU than Nintendo you have to laugh a bit.   icon_biggrin
metallicorphan

View Profile
« Reply #404 on: July 26, 2013, 07:28:10 AM »

So people,its been 8-9 months since most of you picked up a Wii U,now that time has passed what are your thoughts on the console?

This comes after Activision announce that they have 6 games in development for the Wii U including COD:Ghosts

CVG

The other 5 titles
Skylanders SWAP Force, Angry Birds Trilogy, Angry Birds Star Wars, SpongeBob SquarePants: Plankton's Robotic Revenge and Wipeout Create & Crash.

Manchester United Premier League Champions 2013!!

Xbox LIVE:Metallicorphan
Wii:8565 1513 0206 1960
PSN:Metallicorphan
CeeKay
Gaming Trend Staff

La-bibbida-bibba-dum! La-bibbida-bibba-do!

View Profile
« Reply #405 on: July 26, 2013, 10:56:26 AM »

it's been great playing Wii games on it.

Because I can,
also because I don't care what you want.
XBL: OriginalCeeKay
Wii U: CeeKay
Tebunker

Ask How, Ask Now, Ask me

View Profile
« Reply #406 on: July 26, 2013, 02:39:41 PM »

We got it when Lego City undercover came out, never biying a system at launch again. Which was an awesome game btw. Have enjoyed it a lot more than I thought I would. I like the gamepad, I like offscreen play. We own I think 5 games, Nintendoland, don't play it, Scribblenauts, love it, Lego City, awesome game, NFS Most Wanted U, amazingly not a lazy port but actually a very well made visually pleasing title that is a lot of fun. I really like taking screen shots in Most Wanted us of crazy stuff and putting it on Miiverse. Last game is Skylanders Giants.

I would never have bought it without the backwards compatability. That helps. Eshop gets better every week too. Really like Trine 2, and have gotten a couple of VC titles which are great to play on the gamepad almost throughout the entire house.

Hopeful for other games coming, Blacklist and Watchdogs look like they will use the gamepad to great effect. Wonderful 101 looks great among other games.

Overall happy with the purchase, but would like more from Nintendo, like the rumored/hinted Gamecube VC games. I may just go broke if they do that. I liked the cube a lot. But that seems like forever ago.

Also if anyone was on the fence, target is going to give a 50$ gift card with purchase of the deluxe system starting august 4th, so that seems like a good time to get a system and Pikmin

"I hate cynicism -- it's my least favorite quality and it doesn't lead anywhere. Nobody in life gets exactly what they thought they were going to get. But if you work really hard and you're kind amazing things will happen." - Conan O'Brien
Lordnine

Lord of the Rutabagas

View Profile WWW
« Reply #407 on: July 26, 2013, 03:53:18 PM »

The console is fine, the lack of games sucks.

ZombiU is the game that best shows off what makes the system unique.
New Super Mario Bros. U is a great 2D Mario game.
Nintendo Land is great if you can get 3-4 friends together.
Getting the Rayman Legends Challenge App for free gave me probably 20 hours of enjoyment by itself.

With Pikmin 3 coming out in a couple weeks and Wonderful 101 plus the new Mario coming later this year, things are looking up.  Itís just a shame it took them almost a full year to release the first set of games.
metallicorphan

View Profile
« Reply #408 on: July 31, 2013, 09:35:31 AM »

Okay i knew things were bad with the Wii U...but not this bad
http://kotaku.com/the-wii-u-sales-are-really-really-bad-973133897

According to Nintendo, between April 1 and June 30 of this year, the Wii U sold 160,000 units. Those are global sales figures. Over three months. Ouch.

90,000 in Japan
60,000 in North America
10,000 in Europe and Australia.
« Last Edit: July 31, 2013, 09:47:21 AM by metallicorphan » Logged

CeeKay
Gaming Trend Staff

View Profile
« Reply #409 on: July 31, 2013, 10:57:57 AM »

yep, that's bad.

Because I can,
metallicorphan

View Profile
« Reply #410 on: July 31, 2013, 11:08:52 AM »

Quote from: CeeKay on July 31, 2013, 10:57:57 AM

yep, that's bad.

Although Nintendo themselves aren't doing that bad,the Wii has just crossed the 100 million mark as it sold 210,000 in April 1st to June 30th time

and again during April 1st and June 30th 1.4 3DS machines were sold,Nintendo themselves actually made a profit in those months

just a shame i guess that all the focus will be on their main machine sales

Here in the UK,the Wii U has already had a lot of price cuts and next gen is out soon..not looking good for the Wii U..maybe they should be one better than what happened to SEGA and just become a handheld company icon_confused

CeeKay
Gaming Trend Staff

View Profile
« Reply #411 on: July 31, 2013, 11:23:33 AM »

c'mon Nintendo, go handheld and software if you can't get past gimmicks.

Because I can,
CeeKay
Gaming Trend Staff

View Profile
« Reply #412 on: July 31, 2013, 11:28:29 AM »

maybe some of their upcoming releases will help.

Because I can,
metallicorphan

View Profile
« Reply #413 on: July 31, 2013, 11:42:00 AM »

Quote from: CeeKay on July 31, 2013, 11:23:33 AM

c'mon Nintendo, go handheld and software if you can't get past gimmicks.

That for me is what has put me off Nintendo

Bought every Ninty since NES,but i was that disappointed with the Wii,and when i saw what they had in store for the Wii U,i was put off right away
I think it may be because of the Gamecube struggling that made Nintendo go in a different direction,and its a shame,because I thought  the Gamecube was an awesome machine

Zelda wind waker,Resi zero + remakes,MGS:TTS,Skies of Arcadia,Luigi's mansion,Mario Sunshine,Metroid Prime,Star Wars Rogue Squadron games..I had a lot of fun with the little machine and it was very light as well...even with the Gameboy Advance player attached underneath(not that weight matters,just sayin')

Maybe i will get a Wii U if the prices keep on dropping..no rush for it though,and again with Next Gen coming soon my wallet will already be having liposuction for the next year or so

Quote from: CeeKay on July 31, 2013, 11:28:29 AM

maybe some of their upcoming releases will help.

Well i believe Pikmin 3 was just released,i did like the first game(again on GC)

Zelda is MIA,i know a HD version of Wind Waker is happening,not sure how far away a completely new Zelda game is though

Mario,i hated Galaxy games...but loved Sunshine and SM64...depends if they use the gimmick on whether i would like it,but yeah it will probably sell bucketloads,don't know what that is out though

Metroid?..another MIA??

Star Fox..again no idea

these are the ones i can think off...perhaps they should do what they did with the Wii and have some third party exclusive JRPGs,those three JRPG titles made me even want to buy a Wii again

CeeKay
Gaming Trend Staff

View Profile
« Reply #414 on: July 31, 2013, 12:42:21 PM »

Yep.

Because I can,
msduncan

Roll Tide!!!!

View Profile
« Reply #415 on: July 31, 2013, 01:35:20 PM »

Hmmm..   

This kinda puts me in limbo.    The figures are bad enough to be seen as a rapidly dieing console.    My family (kids and wife) want Disney Infinity in a few weeks.    The Wii U is the 'living room' console, and thus I was planning to buy it for that system so they could all play it.

With these sales numbers, it sorta makes me want to buy it on a different console.    Perhaps the 360 or the PS3.    Problem is that the PS3 is hooked to my computer monitor/speaker system.     The 360 in my bedroom is one of the old white models and frankly I'm just waiting for it to give up the ghost and go kaput.

I really would rather not buy a game that is likely to have some legs in terms of longevity for a system that is about to go through seizures of death.
Canuck

I live in Japan

View Profile
« Reply #416 on: July 31, 2013, 02:18:46 PM »

In other bad news, the second biggest supermarket chain in the UK is removing the Wii U and games from its stores:
http://www.independent.co.uk/life-style/gadgets-and-tech/news/nintendos-wii-u-sales-plummet-as-asda-drops-the-console-8739209.html

You may think, 'Who cares what a supermarket does?' but I believe actual game stores have pretty much disappeared from the UK and most people buy their games with a side of lettuce. Weird, I know.
metallicorphan

View Profile
« Reply #417 on: July 31, 2013, 02:27:51 PM »

HMV and GAME both were nearly gone but miraculously they survived,they are really the only Highstreet stores where you can get video games in the UK

ASDA who have just discontinued their Wii U stock are owned by ..

*evil intro pleeeze*

WALMART

CeeKay
Gaming Trend Staff

View Profile
« Reply #418 on: July 31, 2013, 02:39:14 PM »

Damn WalMart!

Because I can,
Lordnine

Lord of the Rutabagas

View Profile WWW
« Reply #419 on: July 31, 2013, 03:22:31 PM »

Whatís really puzzling about that decision is they are also not carrying the 3DS anymore.  The WiiU makes sense but the 3DS is selling like crazy right now.
davidrobots
Senior Lead Editor
Gaming Trend Reader

Holler holler get dollar

View Profile WWW
« Reply #420 on: July 31, 2013, 03:34:25 PM »

Quote from: msduncan on July 31, 2013, 01:35:20 PM

Hmmm..   

This kinda puts me in limbo.    The figures are bad enough to be seen as a rapidly dieing console.    My family (kids and wife) want Disney Infinity in a few weeks.    The Wii U is the 'living room' console, and thus I was planning to buy it for that system so they could all play it.

With these sales numbers, it sorta makes me want to buy it on a different console.    Perhaps the 360 or the PS3.    Problem is that the PS3 is hooked to my computer monitor/speaker system.     The 360 in my bedroom is one of the old white models and frankly I'm just waiting for it to give up the ghost and go kaput.

I really would rather not buy a game that is likely to have some legs in terms of longevity for a system that is about to go through seizures of death.

I played Disney Infinity at E3 on both the Wii U and the PS3. Get the PS3 version. The Wii U version looks like an upscaled Wii game, with frame skips and crappy graphics. The PS3 version looked way better.

David Roberts
Managing Editor, Gaming Trend

Twitter: @davidrobots
Nintendo ID: davidrobots
Xbox Gamertag: FencerMusashi
PSN ID: Fencer Musashi
Steam: davidrobots
3DS: 2148-8144-9369
davidrobots
Senior Lead Editor
Gaming Trend Reader

Holler holler get dollar

View Profile WWW
« Reply #421 on: July 31, 2013, 05:03:27 PM »

Review for Pikmin 3 is live, along with 20 minutes of gameplay footage: http://gamingtrend.com/game_reviews/tiny-steps-forward-pikmin-3-review/

David Roberts

Lordnine

Lord of the Rutabagas

View Profile WWW
« Reply #422 on: July 31, 2013, 06:24:05 PM »

Quote from: davidrobots on July 31, 2013, 05:03:27 PM

Review for Pikmin 3 is live, along with 20 minutes of gameplay footage: http://gamingtrend.com/game_reviews/tiny-steps-forward-pikmin-3-review/

Well, a year late isn't too bad, right?  Guys?  Hello?  Awww, I'm all alone again aren't I?

(Pikmin 3 was the main reason I bought my WiiU on release...)
davidrobots
Senior Lead Editor
Gaming Trend Reader

Holler holler get dollar

View Profile WWW
« Reply #423 on: July 31, 2013, 07:41:27 PM »

Quote from: Lordnine on July 31, 2013, 06:24:05 PM

Quote from: davidrobots on July 31, 2013, 05:03:27 PM

Well, a year late isn't too bad, right?  Guys?  Hello?  Awww, I'm all alone again aren't I?

(Pikmin 3 was the main reason I bought my WiiU on release...)

Same here. And it's a ton of fun -- but I don't think it's going to move units for Nintendo.

David Roberts

wonderpug

hmm...

View Profile
« Reply #424 on: July 31, 2013, 08:17:27 PM »

Pikmin 3 makes me wish I had a Wii U, but I still need more incentive to want to buy a Wii U.
EngineNo9

I said good day, sir!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #425 on: July 31, 2013, 10:50:33 PM »

I just wish Pikmin 3 was fun and fully playable with only the control pad.  I don't want to have to dig out my Wiimote and nunchuck and still have to look at the gamepad screen for other things.  I bought a new console for the new experience, you'd think they could have spent that extra time making it worthwhile for what the WiiU does.

Sandwiches do fix everything.
JCC

View Profile
« Reply #426 on: August 01, 2013, 02:16:13 AM »

I read that at the non discounted price they are still selling at here in the US Nintendo is still selling it at a loss. So I doubt a much needed price drop is coming soon, although it would seem like they have to lower it for the PS4/XBone launch. But, as others keep noting what it really needs is games.

I loved the Wii for its first year or so, but then the games really dried up for me. Them releasing subpar metroid and Zelda games after 2 initially great ones has left me very skeptical of the new system - along with it being underpowered... And overpriced. I think it also has a bit of an identity crisis. Is it an HD Wii or is it about the new gamepad controller?

I'd love a GameCube 2 which is small, super powered and costs less than the competitors by being nothing but a high powered game machine with wireless recharging Wavebird controllers. That would rock.

-John

XBox Live ID: "JCC Davros"
metallicorphan

View Profile
« Reply #427 on: August 01, 2013, 07:03:44 AM »

Wii U Basic $199 at Canadian Walmart from August 2nd

The Canadian arm of Walmart will introduce a heavily discounted Wii U Basic sale price of $199 from August 2, according to reports.

A snapshot of what appears to be an advertisement for the store has surfaced online, showing the white Wii U Basic package to be sold off for a full $100 less than the regular price of $300.

CeeKay
Gaming Trend Staff

View Profile
« Reply #428 on: August 01, 2013, 03:41:34 PM »

clearing out the old stock.

Because I can,
wonderpug

hmm...

View Profile
« Reply #429 on: August 01, 2013, 05:22:59 PM »

Quote from: EngineNo9 on July 31, 2013, 10:50:33 PM

I just wish Pikmin 3 was fun and fully playable with only the control pad.

Is it not?  From this review I read:
Quote from: Ben Kuchera
While Nintendo helpfully suggested I start with the Wiimote and nunchuk, I much preferred to play with the Wii Uís GamePad. Using the right analog stick to control the view, and the left stick to control the movement of your character as well as the aiming reticle felt natural, and made navigating the miniature world a simple task. This also lets you look down at your map and see the number of your various Pikmin at any time, which is a nice touch.
Lordnine

Lord of the Rutabagas

View Profile WWW
« Reply #430 on: August 01, 2013, 06:44:56 PM »

During development they talked about multiple control schemes.  Gamepad alone, Wiimote alone or some combination of the two.  The GT review mentioned two of these as well.

I played through Pikmin Motion Plus on Wii and have to say that using the Wii remote was perfect for this type of game.  Itís a puzzle RTS, therefore the Wii remote mimics a mouse.
And yes, that is probably the only time you will ever hear someone describe motion controls as perfect.
« Last Edit: August 01, 2013, 06:47:55 PM by Lordnine » Logged
EngineNo9

I said good day, sir!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #431 on: August 02, 2013, 02:00:37 AM »

Quote from: wonderpug on August 01, 2013, 05:22:59 PM

Is it not?  From this review I read:
While Nintendo helpfully suggested I start with the Wiimote and nunchuk, I much preferred to play with the Wii Uís GamePad. Using the right analog stick to control the view, and the left stick to control the movement of your character as well as the aiming reticle felt natural, and made navigating the miniature world a simple task. This also lets you look down at your map and see the number of your various Pikmin at any time, which is a nice touch.

Hmm, I had read 3 different reviews (including the GT one) and they all mentioned that the gamepad was not the optimal way to play the game.  That's good news to hear that isn't the case for everybody as I'd much rather just use the pad.

davidrobots
Senior Lead Editor
Gaming Trend Reader

Holler holler get dollar

View Profile WWW
« Reply #432 on: August 02, 2013, 03:33:45 AM »

Quote from: EngineNo9 on August 02, 2013, 02:00:37 AM

Quote from: wonderpug on August 01, 2013, 05:22:59 PM

Is it not?  From this review I read:

Hmm, I had read 3 different reviews (including the GT one) and they all mentioned that the gamepad was not the optimal way to play the game.  That's good news to hear that isn't the case for everybody as I'd much rather just use the pad.

It's not terrible, it's just not nearly as precise as with the Wii Remote and Nunchuk. With the remote I can run around a bad guy while throwing Pikmin in any direction. On the gamepad there's a buffer between aiming and actual movement, and it means your reaction time is significantly diminished. It's not unplayable, but it's not ideal.

David Roberts

CeeKay
Gaming Trend Staff

View Profile
« Reply #433 on: August 07, 2013, 01:50:13 AM »

The Wii U Difference with Rufus Hound #1 - Gaming.

Because I can,
EngineNo9

I said good day, sir!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #434 on: August 07, 2013, 03:30:42 AM »

Quote from: CeeKay on August 07, 2013, 01:50:13 AM

Maybe he is funnier if you are familiar with his other work, but that was kind of painful to watch. 

Really, they could have cut that down a lot.  All they needed out of that was a mention of the "wife watches TV show while I play games" and the "New Console, New Controller" screen. 

CeeKay
Gaming Trend Staff

View Profile
« Reply #435 on: August 07, 2013, 03:35:17 AM »

I don't know, I kinda liked the 'flaming bacon cherry of gaming glory' bit myself.

plus he is British, and British accents make everything funnier cause they talk funny.  go ahead, imagine Achy Breaky Heart done with a British accent.  see?  SEE?

Because I can,
metallicorphan

View Profile
« Reply #436 on: August 07, 2013, 05:46:44 AM »

Quote from: CeeKay on August 07, 2013, 01:50:13 AM

they need to update the cartoon if he has got rid of his tache...i hardly recognised him,same when he was on that Dr Who show he did the other day,took me awhile to figure out who he was.

Quote from: CeeKay on August 07, 2013, 03:35:17 AM

I don't know, I kinda liked the 'flaming bacon cherry of gaming glory' bit myself.

plus he is British, and British accents make everything funnier cause they talk funny.  go ahead, imagine Achy Breaky Heart done with a British accent.  see?  SEE?

I don't even want to imagine that in its original accent!

CeeKay
Gaming Trend Staff

View Profile
« Reply #437 on: August 07, 2013, 05:46:58 AM »

icon_lol  it's bad.

Because I can,
metallicorphan

View Profile
« Reply #438 on: August 07, 2013, 10:17:56 AM »

I do remember it,i just don't really want to icon_biggrin

anyway..
Eurogamer

Elder Scrolls and Fallout publisher Bethesda has said that it has no plans to support Wii U due to "hardware" issues.

Bethesda has avoided the platform since its launch, and none of its upcoming slate have Wii U versions announced.

"It's largely a hardware thing," Bethesda's marketing exec Pete Hines explained to Joystiq. "[We] make the games that we want to make, on whatever platforms will support them as developed.

"None of the games we've announced are being developed for the Wii U, so it's guaranteed that none of those games are coming to Wii U."

Bethesda will next publish Wolfenstein: The New Order, Shinji Mikami's new survival horror The Evil Within and PC/next-gen role-player The Elder Scrolls Online.

Taking The Elder Scrolls as an example, Hines said it "likely would have" been launched on current-gen platforms, but "it just wasn't possible" due to the game's size and scope.

"Will any future ones come out? I can't say for sure," Hines concluded. "In our near-term focus it's not on our radar."

CeeKay
Gaming Trend Staff

View Profile
« Reply #439 on: August 07, 2013, 10:56:48 AM »

poor Wii U.

Because I can,
Pages: 1 ... 9 10 [11] 12   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: