http://gamingtrend.com
September 30, 2014, 05:52:05 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: 1 ... 8 9 [10] 11 12 ... 14   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Wii U  (Read 19848 times)
Bullwinkle
Gaming Trend Staff
Gaming Trend Senior Member

Watch me pull a rabbit outta my hat.

View Profile
« Reply #360 on: December 09, 2012, 01:55:21 AM »

The transfer only needs something like 512MB, IIRC, so you won't need a big memory card.

I haven't tested this yet, but I've seen some reports that if you have games on a memory card and pop that into the Wii U, they'll run from there.  I can tell you that I popped the Wii SD card into my Wii U and all of the games do show up.  I just haven't tried playing them it yet.

That's like blaming owls because I suck at making analogies.
MonkeyFinger

View Profile
« Reply #361 on: December 09, 2012, 04:09:04 PM »

Yup, 512MB is what it says. The actual transfer was...cute... with all of my stuff being loaded onto a rocket ship by those flower-headed dudes (Pikmin?) which then blasts off for planet WiiU and they then unload everything there. The two games I thought I had on the card it said I would need to re-download. At some point. Fine.

I know it's been mentioned but what the heck is up with not supporting the Pro Controller for Wii games? It's listed as supported in the manual. I cranked up The Last Story and it told me to connect a Pro Controller or Nunchuk, so I clipped in the pro. It recognized that but then... nothing. Press 'A' no workie. Had to put in the nunchuk before I could play. Anyone know if they have plans to eventually support it? Or fix it? icon_confused

-craig

PSx: MonkeyFinger
XBx: MonkeyPhinger
Bullwinkle
Gaming Trend Staff

View Profile
« Reply #362 on: December 09, 2012, 05:08:53 PM »

BTW, went to run a Wii game from the SD card last night.  Had to redownload it.  Which is a bummer, since it reset my save it seems.

Now the question is, can I do the long, slow process of moving games from the SD card on the Wii to the System Memory and finally to the Wii U itself (and then, maybe, back onto the SD card).

I kind of suspect that the rights have been moved.

In the end, this isn't the terrible tragedy it could be, as I already lost a lot of progress when my Wii died.  And momentum on any other DL games died along with it.

Lordnine

Lord of the Rutabagas

View Profile WWW
« Reply #363 on: December 13, 2012, 07:40:06 PM »

Demos are now available for Rayman Legends and Sonic All Stars Racing.
Harpua3

View Profile
« Reply #364 on: December 15, 2012, 06:54:50 PM »

Quote from: Hetz on November 20, 2012, 01:33:49 AM

Yeah....i would love to be able to play my VC games on the Gamepad. Hope they get that going soon.

One thing I really do love though is being able to browse the internet, go on MiiVerse or the EShop while playing games. Im posting this from the Gamepad while I have Super Mario running in the background! Man, i wish the Vita could do this.

You can do this on Vita! Unless I'm not unstanding what you are saying. I've been playing a Vita game, backed out and used the browser, and then went right back to the still open said game.
The Grue

You are likely to be eaten by a grue.

View Profile
« Reply #365 on: December 15, 2012, 07:38:39 PM »

Quote from: Lordnine on December 13, 2012, 07:40:06 PM

Demos are now available for Rayman Legends and Sonic All Stars Racing.

Love the Rayman demo.  The Castle Rock level is pretty amazing.  I own the Sonic racing game on Wii U and love it.

XBox Live ID: The Grue
Playstation Network Name: TheGrue
Bullwinkle
Gaming Trend Staff

View Profile
« Reply #366 on: December 15, 2012, 10:10:12 PM »

Quote from: Harpua3 on December 15, 2012, 06:54:50 PM

Yeah....i would love to be able to play my VC games on the Gamepad. Hope they get that going soon.

One thing I really do love though is being able to browse the internet, go on MiiVerse or the EShop while playing games. Im posting this from the Gamepad while I have Super Mario running in the background! Man, i wish the Vita could do this.

You can do this on Vita! Unless I'm not unstanding what you are saying. I've been playing a Vita game, backed out and used the browser, and then went right back to the still open said game.

That's a relatively recent change, though.  They've improved the amount of memory it requires to operate or something.

Harpua3

View Profile
« Reply #367 on: December 16, 2012, 07:30:17 AM »

Quote from: Bullwinkle on December 15, 2012, 10:10:12 PM

That's a relatively recent change, though.  They've improved the amount of memory it requires to operate or something.

I've had a Vita since a month or less after launch. It's always been that way to my knowledge. That's how I've always used it with great results.
Back of topic, I want a wiiU, just due to being out of work for awhile, and recently bought a new entertainment center essentially I can't now for a while. To blend my off topic comment with my on topic comment, there really isn't much on it I want. Not enough to warrant a purchase. ZombieU sounded good, seems decent. Mario is Mario, for both the good and the bad. Nothing else really out there.

Here's the cross comment part. Noone is speaking doom and gloom about it and its future and launch, ready... The vita had a way better launch, and yet doom and gloom everywhere. I understand the facts, I just don't understand ANYTHING else about why or how. This isn't a vita vs. wiiU thought, this is just an observation. Two systems, each one doing pretty innovative stuff. Nintendo is going to have a good future with his system. They can do "gimmicky" stuff with it, system specific stuff. Same for Vita. Also they can also do ports, and more "standard" things on them. Vita, well it's very capable of doing things from console ports to new ips. It's damn near a console in your hands! The wiiU is very impressive from a hardware perspective as well.unique features galore.

One is doom and gloom, the other not so much. So people like seeing things fail?  retard
Canuck

I live in Japan

View Profile
« Reply #368 on: December 16, 2012, 10:02:58 AM »

I don't think there was much doom and gloom surrounding the Vita launch. There's plenty of doom and gloom now though and much of it is warranted.  Give the WiiU a year and then we'll see whether there's doom and gloom or not.
Bullwinkle
Gaming Trend Staff

View Profile
« Reply #369 on: December 16, 2012, 02:59:15 PM »

Quote from: Harpua3 on December 16, 2012, 07:30:17 AM

Quote from: Bullwinkle on December 15, 2012, 10:10:12 PM

I've had a Vita since a month or less after launch. It's always been that way to my knowledge. That's how I've always used it with great results.

It was added in Update 2.0 on November 20 according to PSX, though that's not where I first saw it.

Eel Snave

View Profile WWW
« Reply #370 on: December 16, 2012, 04:50:33 PM »

I'm weak. I went out and bought a Wii U yesterday. So far? Really liking it a lot.
CeeKay
Gaming Trend Staff

La-bibbida-bibba-dum! La-bibbida-bibba-do!

View Profile
« Reply #371 on: December 17, 2012, 04:16:27 AM »

Quote from: Eel Snave on December 16, 2012, 04:50:33 PM

I'm weak. I went out and bought a Wii U yesterday. So far? Really liking it a lot.

did your son try and eat it yet?

Because I can,
also because I don't care what you want.
XBL: OriginalCeeKay
Wii U: CeeKay
Eel Snave

View Profile WWW
« Reply #372 on: December 19, 2012, 12:26:23 AM »

He has an enormous mouth. It's like Mick Jagger and Carly Simon had a child and gave it a Joker smile.
Autistic Angel

View Profile
« Reply #373 on: December 19, 2012, 12:51:31 AM »

Are you going to play Rayman Legends when it comes out?

-Autistic Angel
Bullwinkle
Gaming Trend Staff

View Profile
« Reply #374 on: December 19, 2012, 01:44:41 PM »

Quote from: Eel Snave on December 19, 2012, 12:26:23 AM

He has an enormous mouth. It's like Mick Jagger and Carly Simon had a child and gave it a Joker smile.

icon_lol

Lordnine

Lord of the Rutabagas

View Profile WWW
« Reply #375 on: December 19, 2012, 04:28:26 PM »

Quote from: Autistic Angel on December 19, 2012, 12:51:31 AM

-Autistic Angel
Who are you asking?  I Will be!  Rayman Origins was a surprise for me and turned out to be one of my favorite games of the year.
Bullwinkle
Gaming Trend Staff

View Profile
« Reply #376 on: December 19, 2012, 05:13:03 PM »

Quote from: Lordnine on December 19, 2012, 04:28:26 PM

-Autistic Angel
Who are you asking?  I Will be!  Rayman Origins was a surprise for me and turned out to be one of my favorite games of the year.

The demo went up last week and is pretty great.

MonkeyFinger

View Profile
« Reply #377 on: December 19, 2012, 05:37:31 PM »

Quote from: Bullwinkle on December 19, 2012, 05:13:03 PM

Quote from: Lordnine on December 19, 2012, 04:28:26 PM

-Autistic Angel

The demo went up last week and is pretty great.

Bam-a-lam!  icon_lol

-craig

Eel Snave

View Profile WWW
« Reply #378 on: December 20, 2012, 12:05:13 AM »

I tried out the demo at Gamestop. It's actually what convinced me to get a Wii U.
Bullwinkle
Gaming Trend Staff

View Profile
« Reply #379 on: December 20, 2012, 01:47:19 PM »

Just a heads up that Nintendo TVii launches today (usually they post their new stuff between 12 and 1 EST).

This could be some incredible functionality that everyone will quickly try to emulate.  Or not.  Either way, we'll know today.

Lordnine

Lord of the Rutabagas

View Profile WWW
« Reply #380 on: December 20, 2012, 09:06:06 PM »

TVii is neat but the interface is definitely made for someone with smaller hands than I have.  I dislike the fact that you HAVE TO use the touch interface for it to work.   The remote has joysticks, let me use them if I want to!  Still I do like how easy it is to setup, makes keeping track of my channels easier and means one less controller on my coffee table.
Bullwinkle
Gaming Trend Staff

View Profile
« Reply #381 on: December 21, 2012, 12:27:38 AM »

Yeah, I intuitively used the joysticks as well.  The touch interface doesn't scroll as fast as I'd like and had me accidentally selecting more than once.

TVii is neutered for the time being as Netflix is not working with it yet.  Still, you can see hints of how well it'll work.  

I was hoping there would be a list of everything in all my streaming queues, but I don't see that yet.  It would also be nice to have an option to resize the icons, but it's okay like this.

And unfortunately, until they make the universal remote work with a receiver, the cable functionality is a little pointless for me.  I don't foresee that happening, though.
« Last Edit: December 21, 2012, 12:29:29 AM by Bullwinkle » Logged

Lordnine

Lord of the Rutabagas

View Profile WWW
« Reply #382 on: December 21, 2012, 12:48:39 AM »

The remote works with my cable box just fine.  Under TV controller setup there is now an option to do TV + Cable Box.  You get an extra power button when you hit the main TV button on the remote.
Bullwinkle
Gaming Trend Staff

View Profile
« Reply #383 on: December 21, 2012, 12:56:23 AM »

Quote from: Lordnine on December 21, 2012, 12:48:39 AM

The remote works with my cable box just fine.  Under TV controller setup there is now an option to do TV + Cable Box.  You get an extra power button when you hit the main TV button on the remote.

It works with my cable box fine, too, but it doesn't switch the receiver to cable or control the volume of the receiver (which is where the sound comes from).

Lordnine

Lord of the Rutabagas

View Profile WWW
« Reply #384 on: December 21, 2012, 01:04:46 AM »

Ah, you clearly have a more sophisticated setup than I do.  I have no external sound system so switching input is enough for me.  That does make me wonder if that will be coming down the road since they do plan to support DVR which also doesn't work currently.
Autistic Angel

View Profile
« Reply #385 on: December 23, 2012, 05:28:33 PM »

Quote from: Eel Snave on December 20, 2012, 12:05:13 AM

I tried out the demo at Gamestop. It's actually what convinced me to get a Wii U.

Nice! thumbsup

I'm thinking I'll pick up a Wii U around the time it comes out.

-Autistic Angel
Teggy

Eat lightsaber, jerks!

View Profile
« Reply #386 on: December 25, 2012, 10:07:25 PM »

So my nephew got a Wii U and I noticed on the main screen there's people posting pictures and comments.  What prevents people from posting "penis penis penis"?

"Is there any chance your jolly Garchomp is female?" - Wonderpug
MonkeyFinger

View Profile
« Reply #387 on: December 25, 2012, 10:21:15 PM »

Quote from: Teggy on December 25, 2012, 10:07:25 PM

So my nephew got a Wii U and I noticed on the main screen there's people posting pictures and comments.  What prevents people from posting "penis penis penis"?

That part is easy, it would seem, as they do all kids of evil word detection right now. Penis drawings on the other hand, that was the tricky part.  icon_wink

-craig

Teggy

Eat lightsaber, jerks!

View Profile
« Reply #388 on: December 25, 2012, 10:48:33 PM »

That was a great read. smile

"Is there any chance your jolly Garchomp is female?" - Wonderpug
Harpua3

View Profile
« Reply #389 on: December 26, 2012, 02:25:58 AM »

So my nephew got a Wii U and I noticed on the main screen there's people posting pictures and comments.  What prevents people from posting "penis penis penis"?

Why prevent it? Just embrace it! Tongue
Lordnine

Lord of the Rutabagas

View Profile WWW
« Reply #390 on: December 26, 2012, 04:40:34 PM »

Quote from: MonkeyFinger on December 25, 2012, 10:21:15 PM

So my nephew got a Wii U and I noticed on the main screen there's people posting pictures and comments.  What prevents people from posting "penis penis penis"?

That part is easy, it would seem, as they do all kids of evil word detection right now. Penis drawings on the other hand, that was the tricky part.  icon_wink

That article is awesome.  I wonder how many times Toad gets censored in Mario drawings.
Lordnine

Lord of the Rutabagas

View Profile WWW
« Reply #391 on: December 31, 2012, 05:31:54 AM »

I picked up Trine 2 because it was on sale tonight and am really impressed with how good it is on the WiiU.  I also made a potentially surprising discovery, since the game was downloaded it was running off the hard drive and the load times were almost instant, quite a bit faster even then running the game on my PC. 

Compared to the long load times to start other games on the WiiU I have to think it’s the DVD drive that is holding the system back and not the other components.   I would be really interested to hear about loading times for anyone who has purchased the downloadable version of ZombiU to see if my theory holds up.

As for Trine 2; if you don’t already own it on PC and have a WiiU this seems like the definitive version to get.  Really fun puzzle platformer for co-op or by yourself.

Other games on sale are Little Inferno and Arora but act fast if you want them as I think the sales end on the 1st.
msduncan

Roll Tide!!!!

View Profile
« Reply #392 on: January 11, 2013, 03:50:17 PM »

I am enjoying this system more than I expected.

The ability to play on the tablet while others are watching TV is way underrated.
The Grue

View Profile
« Reply #393 on: January 11, 2013, 04:00:39 PM »

Quote from: Lordnine on December 31, 2012, 05:31:54 AM

Compared to the long load times to start other games on the WiiU I have to think itís the DVD drive that is holding the system back and not the other components. 

That would not explain why it takes why built-in system stuff takes so long to load, though.

Lordnine

Lord of the Rutabagas

View Profile WWW
« Reply #394 on: January 11, 2013, 04:42:25 PM »

The big patch from a couple weeks ago fixed the terrible menu loading times for me.  It cut my general loading times about in half.  Maybe I just got lucky?
The Grue

View Profile
« Reply #395 on: January 11, 2013, 05:37:09 PM »

Quote from: Lordnine on January 11, 2013, 04:42:25 PM

The big patch from a couple weeks ago fixed the terrible menu loading times for me.  It cut my general loading times about in half.  Maybe I just got lucky?

It's better, I suppose, but still not good.

MonkeyFinger

View Profile
« Reply #396 on: March 22, 2013, 06:14:49 AM »

Quote from: Lordnine on December 26, 2012, 04:40:34 PM

That article is awesome.  I wonder how many times Toad gets censored in Mario drawings.

Ran across this investigative report which made me harken back to this subject.

-craig

Bullwinkle
Gaming Trend Staff

View Profile
« Reply #397 on: March 22, 2013, 12:44:35 PM »

Quote from: MonkeyFinger on March 22, 2013, 06:14:49 AM

Quote from: Lordnine on December 26, 2012, 04:40:34 PM

That article is awesome.  I wonder how many times Toad gets censored in Mario drawings.

Ran across this investigative report which made me harken back to this subject.

The Nintendo article made me laugh.  Specifically this part:

...when we brought Hatena Flipnote to the West, we were caught off-guard by the amount of penises drawn by people.

...Kurisu-san suggested we study different types of penises in order to create figure out the relative shape and size people would draw. We spent a week doing that before we realized that we should have been looking at drawings of penises rather than real-life pictures

farley2k

View Profile
« Reply #398 on: March 22, 2013, 05:19:35 PM »

I got mine yesterday, used from a GTer, and I have to say I am in love.  I think the thing that Nintendo has always done great for me in controllers.  I love, love, love the Wavebird on the GC and I really like this one too.  I have tried lots of controllers for my PS3 and never found one I loved but Nintendo just seems to feel right to me.

Anyway I have Lego City: Undercover to keep me entertained for hours and hours so I am very happy.

CeeKay
Gaming Trend Staff

La-bibbida-bibba-dum! La-bibbida-bibba-do!

View Profile
« Reply #399 on: April 17, 2013, 03:54:05 PM »

the Virtual Console finally becomes official next week.  some of the launch titles (beyond the 30 cent ones already released):

Excitebike
Super Mario World
Mario Bros.
Super Metroid

Because I can,
also because I don't care what you want.
XBL: OriginalCeeKay
Wii U: CeeKay
Pages: 1 ... 8 9 [10] 11 12 ... 14   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: