http://gamingtrend.com
December 19, 2014, 04:50:32 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5] 6 7 ... 14   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Wii U  (Read 22681 times)
CeeKay
Gaming Trend Staff
Gaming Trend Senior Member

La-bibbida-bibba-dum! La-bibbida-bibba-do!

View Profile
« Reply #160 on: May 07, 2012, 04:15:15 PM »

New Super Mario Brothers Wii

that seems to be an odd choice if true.  you'd think if anything they'd have New Super Mario Brothers 2.

Because I can,
also because I don't care what you want.
XBL: OriginalCeeKay
Wii U: CeeKay
metallicorphan

View Profile
« Reply #161 on: May 07, 2012, 04:26:00 PM »

Quote from: CeeKay on May 07, 2012, 04:15:15 PM

New Super Mario Brothers Wii

that seems to be an odd choice if true.  you'd think if anything they'd have New Super Mario Brothers 2.

or maybe call it 'New Super Mario Brothers Wii U'

EDIT:okay,i have found the answer to this by the same story but on Eurogamer

Its 'New Super Mario Brothers Mii'..not Wii
« Last Edit: May 07, 2012, 06:22:31 PM by metallicorphan » Logged

Manchester United Premier League Champions 2013!!

Xbox LIVE:Metallicorphan
Wii:8565 1513 0206 1960
PSN:Metallicorphan
CeeKay
Gaming Trend Staff

View Profile
« Reply #162 on: May 18, 2012, 11:40:54 PM »

wiimote to wiipad dragging.  it's just a patent, so it may not actually be a workable option.

Because I can,
pr0ner

Go Flames go!

View Profile
« Reply #163 on: May 19, 2012, 03:32:50 AM »

Quote from: CeeKay on May 18, 2012, 11:40:54 PM

wiimote to wiipad dragging.  it's just a patent, so it may not actually be a workable option.

Patent application.  That hasn't been patented yet. Tongue

XBox Live Gamertag: Pr0ner
metallicorphan

View Profile
« Reply #164 on: June 03, 2012, 10:29:23 PM »

Nintendo has struck early for E3 2012 with some news on the Wii U

how the Wii U pad looks now

Pro Wii U controller

Sorry,but i don't think i like that pro controller with the buttons being where they are underneath the right stick,probably take a lot of getting used to,at least for me
Other than that though it does everything right(again IMO),same shape as the 360 controller and the USB and 1-4 lights of a PS3 controller..i can't tell how the trigger buttons are,but they are a big issue for me as well for controllers(i bought add ons for my PS3 controller)...D-Pad looks so-so,PS3 controller may still be the best for that

I am eager to hear what you guys think of the controller Tongue

metallicorphan

View Profile
« Reply #165 on: June 03, 2012, 11:13:53 PM »

Kotaku again

Xbox Live,PSN...now here is the Miiverse ...Ahem Roll Eyes

Arguably the biggest features shown in today's Nintendo Direct conference all had to do with connecting players with each other in a variety of ways. An activity feed that lets you see what others have done on a particular game appeared to connect the Wii U to a smartphone, and was also promised to be functional on any web-enabled device. Not only that but the Wii U gamepad also got used as a video calling device. In the streaming presentation, Nintendo president Satoru Iwata said that the company had as their goal creating something that will help unite people rather than divide them, whether in the same room or thousands of miles apart.

The Miiverse and this cross-platform evolution of the Nintendo Network may just be a Nintendo-styled spin on Twitter and Facebook, but what they've shown is already lightyears ahead of where they've been. If these ideas play out the way Nintendo hopes, Sony and Microsoft may be the ones playing catch-up.

some more on the Miiverse

The Miiverse will not be available at the Wii U's launch.

CeeKay
Gaming Trend Staff

View Profile
« Reply #166 on: June 03, 2012, 11:15:50 PM »

yeah,. not sure what they're thinking with that pro controller layout.  even the Wii classic controller had the button above the thumbstick.  oh well, I'm just waiting for them to tell me who to throw my money at.

Because I can,
metallicorphan

View Profile
« Reply #167 on: June 03, 2012, 11:24:14 PM »

Quote from: CeeKay on June 03, 2012, 11:15:50 PM

yeah,. not sure what they're thinking with that pro controller layout.  even the Wii classic controller had the button above the thumbstick.  oh well, I'm just waiting for them to tell me who to throw my money at.

EngineNo9 knows the answer to that  Tongue

<><><><><><><><><><><><><><>
someone posted this
« Last Edit: June 03, 2012, 11:35:51 PM by metallicorphan » Logged

Teggy

Eat lightsaber, jerks!

View Profile
« Reply #168 on: June 04, 2012, 04:14:39 AM »

The one thing people complain about the Playstation controller hanging onto for so long is the thumb sticks being in line, and they do the one thing that makes even less sense.

"Is there any chance your jolly Garchomp is female?" - Wonderpug
CeeKay
Gaming Trend Staff

View Profile
« Reply #169 on: June 06, 2012, 01:04:40 AM »

apparently having two Wii U controllers running will tax the system and halve the framerate of a game.

Because I can,
Eel Snave

View Profile WWW
« Reply #170 on: June 06, 2012, 02:49:25 AM »

Honestly, I don't see that being a problem. Take this quote from a Kotaku reader:

For as long as video output is measured in frames per second, video game dvelopers will still be making games that run at 30fps, because it means their game will be prettier than if they insisted on 60fps. The laws of mathematics do not change because someone made a new video game console.

It doesn't really bug me, personally.
Lordnine

Lord of the Rutabagas

View Profile WWW
« Reply #171 on: June 06, 2012, 05:44:52 AM »

Nintendo perplexes me.  When the Wii U was first announced I thought it looked awful and figured it would be a complete flop that I could ignore but after seeing their launch lineup I’m actually interested.  Between the Wii U and 3DS games releasing before the end of the year 10 have me interested. 
Destructor
Special Project Group

▲▲▼▼◄►◄►B A Start

View Profile WWW
« Reply #172 on: June 06, 2012, 01:52:04 PM »

Quote from: CeeKay on June 06, 2012, 01:04:40 AM

apparently having two Wii U controllers running will tax the system and halve the framerate of a game.

Doesn't surprise me. And its statements like this that make me wonder just how useful Microsoft's whateverGlass tech will be for games on the 360. All the images you'll be seeing are being rendered entirely on the console itself (just like the WiiU's controllers I'm assuming).

The WiiU was designed around this - the 360 wasn't. And it's already showing its limitations with the Kinect.

"All opinions posted are my own, and not those of my employers, who are appalled."
Bullwinkle
Gaming Trend Staff

Watch me pull a rabbit outta my hat.

View Profile
« Reply #173 on: June 06, 2012, 02:19:05 PM »

Quote from: Destructor on June 06, 2012, 01:52:04 PM

Quote from: CeeKay on June 06, 2012, 01:04:40 AM

Doesn't surprise me. And its statements like this that make me wonder just how useful Microsoft's whateverGlass tech will be for games on the 360. All the images you'll be seeing are being rendered entirely on the console itself (just like the WiiU's controllers I'm assuming).

The WiiU was designed around this - the 360 wasn't. And it's already showing its limitations with the Kinect.

But the gamepad is designed to use the processing power of the Wii U base.  Your phone or tablet or PC are not.  They run independently.  It shouldn't effect gameplay or movie viewing at all, I wouldn't think.  Unless I missed something.

That's like blaming owls because I suck at making analogies.
Eel Snave

View Profile WWW
« Reply #174 on: June 06, 2012, 06:42:28 PM »

It may be using the processing power to display the image, but not to actually render the graphics. That's all still handled console-side, presumably.
CeeKay
Gaming Trend Staff

View Profile
« Reply #175 on: June 06, 2012, 06:56:35 PM »

Quote from: Eel Snave on June 06, 2012, 02:49:25 AM

Honestly, I don't see that being a problem. Take this quote from a Kotaku reader:

For as long as video output is measured in frames per second, video game dvelopers will still be making games that run at 30fps, because it means their game will be prettier than if they insisted on 60fps. The laws of mathematics do not change because someone made a new video game console.

It doesn't really bug me, personally.

but if they make a game that is supposed to run at 30FPS, and the second controller is used, which halves the FPS, then that is 15FPS unless they fix whatever the issue is.  or is he saying the game will normally run at 60FPS, but they will optimize it for 30 FPS?

Because I can,
Eel Snave

View Profile WWW
« Reply #176 on: June 07, 2012, 01:01:36 AM »

I think any developer who makes a game that's knowingly going to drop to 15 FPS with an extra controller is out of their fricking MINDS. I got 15 FPS when I used to run Half-Life 1 on my AMD K6-2 333 Mhz system in 640x480.

It seems far more likely that the games will be developed with 60 FPS as the goal, and the second controller drops it to 30. It would make sense, right?
The Grue

You are likely to be eaten by a grue.

View Profile
« Reply #177 on: June 07, 2012, 02:31:45 AM »

I have a feeling the number of games that will be able to use two of those controllers will be so small, it won't matter.  The system comes with one and I bet most developers will create games with that in mind, unless the controller is incredibly cheap to buy.

XBox Live ID: The Grue
Playstation Network Name: TheGrue
EddieA

View Profile
« Reply #178 on: June 07, 2012, 03:06:18 AM »

Quote from: The Grue on June 07, 2012, 02:31:45 AM

I have a feeling the number of games that will be able to use two of those controllers will be so small, it won't matter.  The system comes with one and I bet most developers will create games with that in mind, unless the controller is incredibly cheap to buy.

Given that the standard 360 and PS3 controllers cost $55, I wouldn't be surprised if the WiiU controller was $80-$100.  I know people complained when Nintendo orginally said that games would only support one controller, but I think most people will balk at their high cost.

"Why did the chicken cross the Mobius strip?  To get to the same side."  - The Big Bang Theory
metallicorphan

View Profile
« Reply #179 on: June 11, 2012, 08:40:20 PM »

Kotaku Q and A with Reggie

Some topics covered are Achievements,lack of HDD,friend codes and the controllers

CeeKay
Gaming Trend Staff

View Profile
« Reply #180 on: June 19, 2012, 02:13:28 AM »

the Wii U on Jimmy Fallon's show: http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_detailpage&v=OeYL-f48xoU#t=11s

Because I can,
CeeKay
Gaming Trend Staff

View Profile
« Reply #181 on: June 22, 2012, 12:54:18 AM »

I see Nintendo has a Nintendo Direct press conference tonight at 9pm PT (midnight EST), perhaps they'll announce a release date or pricing?

Because I can,
corruptrelic

View Profile
« Reply #182 on: June 22, 2012, 01:27:42 AM »

No hard drive, blu-ray (let alone dvd playback) and Crytek just coming out recently saying the Wii U was "about as powerful as the 360"? This thing better launch at $199.99 if they think they can compete with the 360 and PS3 as it's missing so many features over the competition.

"A gladiator does not fear death. He embraces it. Caresses it. Fucks it. Every time he enters the arena, he slides his cock into the mouth of the beast."
corruptrelic

View Profile
« Reply #183 on: July 12, 2012, 08:55:55 PM »

Another developer saying similar to what was said earlier (the Wii U being "on par" with the 360/PS3):

he Wii U's graphics are at least on par with the current Xbox 360 and PS3, if not slightly better, a new statement from Tekken series producer Katsuhiro Harada has provided new ammo for Wii U haters to add to their arsenal.

Speaking to Digital Spy, Harada admitted that the Wii U's processor clock speed is lower than that of the Xbox 360 and PS3. Harada acknowledged the Wii U's graphical capabilities, but as a result of the slower CPU, the developer is looking for "creative solutions" while working on the Wii U version of Tekken Tag Tournament 2.

"I think maybe the game is coming along smoother than most people would think, as far as the look of the game," he told Digital Spy. "As far as graphical processing and such, it's not much of an issue. But as far as the CPU goes, the clock is kinda low."

"I guess they're trying to keep power consumption down so we have to come up with creative ways to get around that and that's taking a little bit of time."

Harada added that it was "maybe a little" lower than that of the current Xbox 360 and PS3. He likened the situation to when first developing for the PS3, but admitted it was a "different issue".

"For example on PS3 it was kind of difficult at first, but if you made good use of the different cores, you could split up the processing tasks and you could achieve very good effects," he explained. "But this is kind of a different issue than that."

http://www.gamezone.com/products/wii-u/news/wii-u-processor-clock-speed-lacking-compared-to-xbox-360-and-ps3

"A gladiator does not fear death. He embraces it. Caresses it. Fucks it. Every time he enters the arena, he slides his cock into the mouth of the beast."
CeeKay
Gaming Trend Staff

View Profile
« Reply #184 on: July 13, 2012, 02:10:55 AM »

Will the Wii U Push Nintendo Back Into Profitability?

When Nintendo reported a $533 million annual loss in late April, it was the first time in the company's 30-year history as a publicly traded company that it had fallen into the red.

Even though the loss was expected at that point, it was a mark of shame for Nintendo — and investors battered the stock. Now, as the company's next generation console system prepares to launch later this year and the handheld 3DS device starts to get its legs under it, it's hoping to get back to black. But not everyone's convinced it will manage to do so.

Officially, Nintendo is projecting revenues of $10.1 billion and profits of $246.4 million for the fiscal year ending March 31, 2013.

"Our intention is to return to profitability after just one year of losing money," says global president Satoru Iwata. "I cannot say that it's a good thing for Nintendo to record an annual loss for two or more years in a row. The reason we had the annual loss this past year is due to the 3DS hardware sales. We were selling hardware below the [manufacturing] cost, so this year we are already recovering or improving the profitability of the 3DS. That's why we are focusing to return to a profit this year."

either they're expecting this to sell like hotcakes because it will be cheap or it will be more expensive than expected while selling decently.  of course they have the 3DS XL to help out, and maybe an ace or two under their sleeve in terms of unannounced titles that will impact sales before 3-31-2013.

tl;dr: they need to announce the price!

Because I can,
Lordnine

Lord of the Rutabagas

View Profile WWW
« Reply #185 on: September 04, 2012, 06:33:55 PM »

A price may have been leaked.
Here are the Wii U listings from VDP's website:

WIIU SYSTEM – GM – 11/11/12 $249.99
WIIU SYSTEM W/ – GM – 11/11/12 $299.99
WIIU SYSTEM 349 W/ – GM – 11/11/12 $349.99

Seems pretty realistic.  The official announcement is supposed to be made next week so it’s also reasonable that some retailers might have gotten the word early.  If they do release at $250.00 I wouldn’t be too hesitant about picking one up on release day.
CeeKay
Gaming Trend Staff

View Profile
« Reply #186 on: September 04, 2012, 08:23:35 PM »

Quote from: Lordnine on September 04, 2012, 06:33:55 PM

A price may have been leaked.
Here are the Wii U listings from VDP's website:

WIIU SYSTEM – GM – 11/11/12 $249.99
WIIU SYSTEM W/ – GM – 11/11/12 $299.99
WIIU SYSTEM 349 W/ – GM – 11/11/12 $349.99

Seems pretty realistic.  The official announcement is supposed to be made next week so it’s also reasonable that some retailers might have gotten the word early.  If they do release at $250.00 I wouldn’t be too hesitant about picking one up on release day.

all I need to know is when to start throwing money at the screen.

Because I can,
The Grue

View Profile
« Reply #187 on: September 04, 2012, 11:49:24 PM »

I got to play a couple games on Wii at PAX.  Got to try out ZombiU and Trine 2 on it.  I really liked ZombiU with the gamepad used for scanning, looking in inventory, and such.  Trine 2's use of the screen was for stuff like switching between characters and drawing grappling ropes for the thief.  The guy showing Trine 2 said the WiiU version adds a bunch of new levels, one of which was the one I played (it was in a desert).  I didn't encounter anything that scared me off from buying the system, so I am still IN!

CeeKay
Gaming Trend Staff

View Profile
« Reply #188 on: September 05, 2012, 06:49:16 PM »

Quote from: The Grue on September 04, 2012, 11:49:24 PM

The guy showing Trine 2 said the WiiU version adds a bunch of new levels, one of which was the one I played (it was in a desert). 

IIRC those levels are the paid DLC they just released, included in the Wii U's 'Director's Cut'.

Because I can,
CeeKay
Gaming Trend Staff

View Profile
« Reply #189 on: September 12, 2012, 04:21:19 PM »

tomorrow, tomorrow, we'll know the priceandreleasedate, tomorrow!

Because I can,
Crawley

View Profile
« Reply #190 on: September 12, 2012, 06:07:33 PM »

Hopefully they've priced this right. Given how negative gamers have been towards it they really have to price it low to get back interest - like $200. But I would imagine it's going to be in the $250-$300 range. Anything more and they'll lose my interest in it.
Destructor
Special Project Group

▲▲▼▼◄►◄►B A Start

View Profile WWW
« Reply #191 on: September 12, 2012, 07:22:05 PM »

Quote from: CeeKay on September 12, 2012, 04:21:19 PM

And I'll know once I get up in the morning (along with the rest of the USA) as I have no intention on staying up past midnight for a PR piece. biggrin

"All opinions posted are my own, and not those of my employers, who are appalled."
CeeKay
Gaming Trend Staff

View Profile
« Reply #192 on: September 13, 2012, 02:54:27 AM »

Wii U game prices on Amazon made me LOL.  definitely placeholders, but still.

Because I can,
Eel Snave

View Profile WWW
« Reply #193 on: September 13, 2012, 03:28:00 AM »

Sweet! $100 games! SCORE!
metallicorphan

View Profile
« Reply #194 on: September 13, 2012, 08:28:22 AM »

8th December release for Japan,31,500 Yen for Premium package,26,250 yen for Basic package..which works out to (£252/$405) and (£210/$338)

Official EU/US prices and release date will be revealed at 3pm BST(10am Eastern)

CVG

The Wii U Gamepad will cost 13,440 yen (£107/$172) and the Wii U Pro Controller 5,040 yen (£40/$65). While the GamePad seems pricey, it should be pointed out that there are currently no announced games which support a second tablet controller.

so don't break that controller....looks like whatever package you buy,you will need to buy a Wii U Pro controller anyway,if you desire to play 'normally'

There is also this
New Super Mario Bros. U will cost 5,985 yen (£48//$77)

The worrying thing is,is that i don't think that includes 20% VAT and our games are usually £39.99(some games RRP are £44.99),so it already being priced at £48 is annoying

« Last Edit: September 13, 2012, 08:44:36 AM by metallicorphan » Logged

metallicorphan

View Profile
« Reply #195 on: September 13, 2012, 09:07:03 AM »

Kotaku

Those Wii U owners who shell out for the higher end Wii U get more than added gigabytes and accessories. They also get access to Nintendo Network Premium.

The Nintendo Network is the Kyoto-based game company's online service. It's supposed to be free, but earlier this summer Nintendo said it could not promise that the network would always be free.

So what's the Nintendo Network Premium? Is it a paid service, like PlayStation Network Plus?

From the sound of it, Nintendo Network Premium is actually a rewards program. If you are a Premium user and you purchase a game (or presumably DLC), you get 10 percent of your purchase in points that can be exchanged for a pre-paid redemption code.

Nintendo Network Premium will only be offered until December 2014. No word on how Wii U owners who buy the no frills "basic" version can join Nintendo Network Premium.

Jumangi

View Profile
« Reply #196 on: September 13, 2012, 02:01:44 PM »

I look at this thing and a a see a repackeged Wii with a touchscreen controller. Also 8GB?? So much for a digital future from Nintendo.

The Grue

View Profile
« Reply #197 on: September 13, 2012, 02:03:46 PM »

Quote from: Jumangi on September 13, 2012, 02:01:44 PM

I look at this thing and a a see a repackeged Wii with a touchscreen controller. Also 8GB?? So much for a digital future from Nintendo.

Graphics are far better than Wii.

As for the memory size, if they allow SD cards (not sure if they will or not, but you would think they would so that people can get their stuff from the Wii), then the built-in size doesn't matter.

Bullwinkle
Gaming Trend Staff

Watch me pull a rabbit outta my hat.

View Profile
« Reply #198 on: September 13, 2012, 02:15:35 PM »

Quote from: The Grue on September 13, 2012, 02:03:46 PM

Quote from: Jumangi on September 13, 2012, 02:01:44 PM

Graphics are far better than Wii.

As for the memory size, if they allow SD cards (not sure if they will or not, but you would think they would so that people can get their stuff from the Wii), then the built-in size doesn't matter.

That depends on how screwy Nintendo is with SD cards this go 'round.

That's like blaming owls because I suck at making analogies.
metallicorphan

View Profile
« Reply #199 on: September 13, 2012, 02:54:09 PM »

US-November 18th
Basic-$299
Premium-$349

EU-November 30th

No prices as of yet

Bayonetta 2 is Wii U exclusive

Tvii

The company has revealed Nintendo TVii - a new custom service for the Wii U console that provides access to a comprehensive level of TV services.
Nintendo said the service was a new way to find, watch and engage television.

There will be no monthly fee, and the service comes packaged for free in all editions of the console.

Users can access Netflix, Hulu Plus and Amazon TV streams, as well as live TV, and even access their Tivo player.

The Wii U tablet controller acts as a sophisticated TV remote, featuring personalised search, user profiling and second-screen services such as additional information on what the TV is displaying.

Users can search for various programs and observe what other friends are watching.

Reggie Fils-Aime said the service was one of the most unique initiatives the company has ever undertaken.

TVii is certain to launch across the US. Not details on launch dates or pricing was given.
« Last Edit: September 13, 2012, 02:58:40 PM by metallicorphan » Logged

Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5] 6 7 ... 14   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: