http://gamingtrend.com
November 21, 2014, 04:33:36 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 14   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Wii U  (Read 21808 times)
Bullwinkle
Gaming Trend Staff
Gaming Trend Senior Member

Watch me pull a rabbit outta my hat.

View Profile
« on: June 08, 2011, 12:41:35 PM »

Given how the discussion has been raging in the E3 thread, I figured we should have a dedicated thread to Nintendo's new console.

So, console and controller with a touch screen.  Some love it, some hate it.  Some can't imagine the screen being anything but a distraction, others can see all kinds of innovative uses for it (I think it helps if you played any of the handheld link games on the Gamecube).  What do you think?

That's like blaming owls because I suck at making analogies.
Bullwinkle
Gaming Trend Staff

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: June 08, 2011, 12:49:02 PM »

There's a hands-on on the GT main page. What was the game, Brain Age?

Gamespot has a nice hans-on, too.

Here are a couple of interesting points:

Despite its size, the controller doesn't feel like a brick. It's light enough to hold in one hand quite comfortably. At the same time, the lack of weight doesn't translate to a cheap or flimsy feel.

Nintendo offered no battery life estimates for the controller.

Zooming close to the controllerís screen, we found it rather difficult to discern individual pixels. Nintendo did not reveal what resolution the screen runs at, but itís sufficiently high as far as weíre concerned. Even at a distance of mere inches it was very difficult to pick out the pixels.
« Last Edit: June 08, 2011, 12:51:15 PM by Bullwinkle » Logged

TiLT

Preaching to the choir

View Profile WWW
« Reply #2 on: June 08, 2011, 01:06:48 PM »

I'm sort of excited and sort of not excited about this thing. I can see several important advantages, and many potential pitfalls. First and foremost is the fact that we are very likely to get at least a Playstation 4 announcement before the Wii U is released, and that machine is going to exceed the power of the Wii U by a large margin. We're probably looking at a similar situation to the original Wii. In other words, the Playstation 4 is released, and maybe a new Xbox, both part of a new generation of graphical capabilities, while the Wii U operates at the previous generation's level (which is the current gen right now). It'll get outdated fast. At that point the big companies are likely to slowly abandon the console again, just like they did with the Wii, and it'll turn into another "only Nintendo's games sell" situation. All of this is long term of course, but I wouldn't be surprised to see the Playstation 4 already by 2013. This gives the Wii U one year or so of being the big boy in the playground, but is it enough?

It's got some nifty advantages though, but these too may be stolen by Sony's and Microsoft's next consoles since they're so early in development yet. The screen on the controller is nifty and has a lot of potential for cool stuff, but its versatility is reduced because there's only one such controller for each console. I'm curious about the Wii U's 3D support. Sony and Microsoft are probably going to put a bit of effort into providing a solid 3D experience for their new consoles, so Nintendo should at least try to compete.

Does anyone know what kind of game discs we will be seeing? Are they a variant of the DVD format or something completely different (cartridges? USB sticks?). This could be important, as I believe hard drives will become far less important in the coming console generation with the advent of solid state drives.

The backwards compatibility with the Wii's controllers is cool and could be vitally important to Nintendo. a LOT of people already own these controllers, and that could be a decisive point for customers who are trying to decide between three comparable consoles. The interaction between these controllers and the new one also has some interesting potential, though that'll probably mostly be important for casual games (think golf, like in the presentation).
PR_GMR

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 08, 2011, 01:09:57 PM »

Let me start the charge here with some discussion (hehehe): I like Nintendo's bold move. The WiiU is the amalgamation of the last three hardware products they released (the two-screens of the DS, the motion control of the Wii, the 3D and other features of the 3DS). This is the evolution of those products. I think it's attractive. I think it has tremendous potential. It's dissapointing seeing so much cynicism from gamers at the introduction of the concept, but I think they will be won over by it in time.
Bullwinkle
Gaming Trend Staff

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 08, 2011, 01:11:59 PM »

The game discs are 25GB.  So that's not an issue.

I think people are underestimating how important the Wiimotes are to the Wii U.  My hunch is there will still be a ton of games that use them.  They may even be the default.  I hope Nintendo includes a WM+ with the console package and makes those basically required going forward, though that may be a problem if they're going for the "it's an upgrade" market.

Soulchilde

You and I have unfinished business

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: June 08, 2011, 01:12:55 PM »

Games and Graphics.  Market the thing to me and I will get excited, but until then OUT!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Quote from: Devil on January 12, 2007, 01:14:38 AM

NiM$
Bullwinkle
Gaming Trend Staff

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: June 08, 2011, 01:15:58 PM »

Quote from: PR_GMR on June 08, 2011, 01:09:57 PM

Let me start the charge here with some discussion (hehehe): I like Nintendo's bold move. The WiiU is the amalgamation of the last three hardware products they released (the two-screens of the DS, the motion control of the Wii, the 3D and other features of the 3DS). This is the evolution of those products. I think it's attractive. I think it has tremendous potential. It's dissapointing seeing so much cynicism from gamers at the introduction of the concept, but I think they will be won over by it in time.

I have to say, I think you've hit a key point that hasn't been articulated yet.  People keep talking about the screen being a gimmick, but people said the same thing about the DS (I was one of them), and I would say that the two screens aren't a gimmick at all, but essential.  Honestly, I can't see Nintendo going back to a single screen (and they may have backed into a corner because of that...but that corner is still way down the road).  And now that same idea is coming to the home console.

Although if the Wiimotes are still a major part of it, I'm not sure how that'll play out.

The issues I see as potentially major are the comfort level with the controller (though all reports I've read have said that's not an issue at all) and the cost.

ATB

Thanks for everything, Ryan. 1979-2013

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: June 08, 2011, 01:25:50 PM »

Not interested. Control is neat though. Any price point on how much replacement/extra controllers are going to cost?
ras752000
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: June 08, 2011, 01:50:24 PM »

Quote from: ATB on June 08, 2011, 01:25:50 PM

Not interested. Control is neat though. Any price point on how much replacement/extra controllers are going to cost?
Per mo's link in the e3 thread only 1 tablet controller can be synched to a console, so you don't need extras.

Quote from: Bullwinkle on June 08, 2011, 01:15:58 PM

The issues I see as potentially major are the comfort level with the controller
Just wait until you see what 'wii dare u' has in store for you.
« Last Edit: June 08, 2011, 01:53:17 PM by ras752000 » Logged

PSN=ras752000
Steam=ras752000gt
CeeKay
Gaming Trend Staff

La-bibbida-bibba-dum! La-bibbida-bibba-do!

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: June 08, 2011, 02:09:51 PM »

IN!!

I already asked Gamestop about pre-orders.

Because I can,
also because I don't care what you want.
XBL: OriginalCeeKay
Wii U: CeeKay
PR_GMR

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: June 08, 2011, 02:23:03 PM »

Quote from: CeeKay on June 08, 2011, 02:09:51 PM

IN!!

You and your damn bottomless pockets. Oh, look, there's a midget in one of them! (/pulls midget out)
Canuck

I live in Japan

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: June 08, 2011, 02:27:17 PM »

Quote from: ras752000 on June 08, 2011, 01:50:24 PM

Per mo's link in the e3 thread only 1 tablet controller can be synched to a console, so you don't need extras.

That's an interesting way to put it.  So how do two people play a multiplayer game then?  Nintendo is all about 'in the same room' multiplayer as opposed to 360 and Sony "over the net" multiplayer.  Does that mean that when we play Madden together you get to pick your plays on your little monitor while I have to choose on the big screen?  It just screams fail to me. You can't win.  It sucks if only one person can use it but it also sucks if everyone can use one only you have to buy 3 more of those expensive looking buggers.

I'm guessing that for the hardcore gamers things will go much like this generation-lots of people purchase them at first and then they end up gathering dust and the only enjoyment the hardcore gamers get is complaining about how there are no good 3rd party games for it.  I wonder if it will be the same this time around for the casual gamers though?  I can't picture grandma sitting down trying to figure out that tablet controller.  It's not nearly so natural as using the Wii mote.  Could Nintendo be alienating both groups this go around rather than just one last time?  I hope it still does well though, if only to keep Sony and MS honest.
CeeKay
Gaming Trend Staff

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: June 08, 2011, 02:27:48 PM »

Quote from: PR_GMR on June 08, 2011, 02:23:03 PM

Quote from: CeeKay on June 08, 2011, 02:09:51 PM

IN!!

You and your damn bottomless pockets. Oh, look, there's a midget in one of them! (/pulls midget out)

hey!  I was saving that for Hep!

Because I can,
th'FOOL
Executive Producer and Editor-At-Large

Never whistle while you're pissing

View Profile WWW
« Reply #13 on: June 08, 2011, 02:41:57 PM »

Yeah, after talking to Ron last night I'm definitely a little more than just interested at this point.

Mike Dunn
Executive Producer & Managing Editor, GamingTrend
The Grue

You are likely to be eaten by a grue.

View Profile
« Reply #14 on: June 08, 2011, 02:42:28 PM »

XBox Live ID: The Grue
Playstation Network Name: TheGrue
th'FOOL

View Profile WWW
« Reply #15 on: June 08, 2011, 02:46:25 PM »

Quote from: Canuck on June 08, 2011, 02:27:17 PM

Quote from: ras752000 on June 08, 2011, 01:50:24 PM

That's an interesting way to put it.  So how do two people play a multiplayer game then?  Nintendo is all about 'in the same room' multiplayer as opposed to 360 and Sony "over the net" multiplayer.  Does that mean that when we play Madden together you get to pick your plays on your little monitor while I have to choose on the big screen?  It just screams fail to me. You can't win.  It sucks if only one person can use it but it also sucks if everyone can use one only you have to buy 3 more of those expensive looking buggers.

I'm guessing that for the hardcore gamers things will go much like this generation-lots of people purchase them at first and then they end up gathering dust and the only enjoyment the hardcore gamers get is complaining about how there are no good 3rd party games for it.  I wonder if it will be the same this time around for the casual gamers though?  I can't picture grandma sitting down trying to figure out that tablet controller.  It's not nearly so natural as using the Wii mote.  Could Nintendo be alienating both groups this go around rather than just one last time?  I hope it still does well though, if only to keep Sony and MS honest.

This is assuming that every player experiences the same gameplay mechanics. If you look at some of the demo videos this most definitely isn't the case.

Imagine a squad based game where 3 players are soldiers with guns, and one is a bomb technician (the one with the new controller). The squad finds the bomb and the bomb tech starts defusing it, using the touchscreen on the controller to control the minigame- while the rest stand guard and take down any incoming enemies.

There is a TON of potential here.

Mike Dunn
Devil

View Profile
« Reply #16 on: June 08, 2011, 02:47:37 PM »

One controller per console kills it.

Turns it into an HD Wii, but removes the 'newness' of the whole concept.

Sounds a little like Steve Jobs when I see things like "You don't need extras".

Really? OUT!

XBox Gamertag: Devil13Devil
Wii Number: 0305 6568 6417 2609
PS3 Thing: Slived
CeeKay
Gaming Trend Staff

View Profile
« Reply #17 on: June 08, 2011, 03:19:03 PM »

Quote from: Devil on June 08, 2011, 02:47:37 PM

Really? OUT!

stop posing, you know you're IN.

Because I can,
PR_GMR

View Profile
« Reply #18 on: June 08, 2011, 03:21:40 PM »

Quote from: CeeKay on June 08, 2011, 03:19:03 PM

Quote from: Devil on June 08, 2011, 02:47:37 PM

Really? OUT!

stop posing, you know you're IN.

Devlin doesn't know that he's in, yet. Give him time.  icon_twisted
Devil

View Profile
« Reply #19 on: June 08, 2011, 03:28:09 PM »

Oh, I'll be IN. As I've said before, I'm an idiot so I'll be IN on everything.

I got a PSP Go and THREE 3DSs on launch day! I should be no measure of the general public/sane people.

That being said, it seems really half assed for the people who brought gaming to the masses to limit the innovations of their new system to only one person at a time.

CeeKay
Gaming Trend Staff

View Profile
« Reply #20 on: June 08, 2011, 03:34:59 PM »

Quote from: Devil on June 08, 2011, 03:28:09 PM

I got a PSP Go and THREE 3DSs on launch day! I should be no measure of the general public/sane people.

That being said, it seems really half assed for the people who brought gaming to the masses to limit the innovations of their new system to only one person at a time.

they'll probably have some UPlay-  no, wait, they can't use that, UPlay is Ubisoft.... um.... Wii Play 2 budle with another controller so other people can...er.. play too.....

Because I can,
gellar

I'm a dolphin!

View Profile
« Reply #21 on: June 08, 2011, 03:53:09 PM »

I'm very interested.  But as I mentioned in the other thread, the minute they mentioned 'HD Zelda' meant I was in.  I skipped the Wii generation because it was prohibitively ugly, so I'm very much looking forward to playing Nintendo games again.
Bullwinkle
Gaming Trend Staff

View Profile
« Reply #22 on: June 08, 2011, 04:22:07 PM »

You know that doesn't let you see in 9D, right?

kronovan

View Profile
« Reply #23 on: June 08, 2011, 05:26:18 PM »

I'm in, but it won't be day 1 for me - the first Nintendo console in 3 generations I won't be purchasing on launch. I'll be taking a rain check on it after it's been on the market for at least 2 years, and if 3rd party support has proven to be healthy and true, I'll buy it. Otherwise I'll wait to the end of its lifecycle and then play the 10 or so AAA Ninty franchise games for it.
Devil

View Profile
« Reply #24 on: June 08, 2011, 06:14:31 PM »

Quote from: Bullwinkle on June 08, 2011, 04:22:07 PM

You know that doesn't let you see in 9D, right?

Ah, but it does!

CeeKay
Gaming Trend Staff

View Profile
« Reply #25 on: June 08, 2011, 06:30:00 PM »

Maybe the Wii 3 will have 3D.

They could call it.....

Drumroll please........

THE THWII D!

Because I can,
denoginizer

View Profile
« Reply #26 on: June 08, 2011, 06:45:39 PM »

I'm still not 100% sure what it is. However my general lack of interest in Nintendo first party franchises would mean I probably wouldn't be buying this anyway. It would be a cool way to call plays in a head to head game of Madden. But with only 1 UPad per console I guess that wouldn't work either.

Xbox Live Tag: denoginizer
PSN Name: denoginizer
Bob

View Profile
« Reply #27 on: June 08, 2011, 07:05:39 PM »

They couldn't call this the WII HD, because that would be pronounced <WEED>.

Anyway.. put me in the skeptical group. I'm not seeing a compelling use case for this screen/controller. Nintendo needs to show me why I need this or I'm out.
« Last Edit: June 08, 2011, 07:07:24 PM by Bob » Logged
ibdoomed

View Profile
« Reply #28 on: June 08, 2011, 07:10:39 PM »

Did I see somewhere that the touchscreen is 3d capable like the gameboy thing?

If so, I refuse to buy it on pure principle.
Roman

XboxLive: RomyBolognaPony

View Profile
« Reply #29 on: June 08, 2011, 07:34:55 PM »

Just reading over at Gamespot that the montage footage was FAKE!!!  nod paranoid eek

http://e3.gamespot.com/story/6318243/e3-2011-wii-u-third-party-montage-actually-xbox-360-ps3-pc-footage/?tag=updates%3Beditor%3Ball%3Btitle%3B1

It was compiled from other consoles............

Xbox Live Gamertag: RomyBolognaPony
Raintitan
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #30 on: June 08, 2011, 07:37:25 PM »

An interesting feature for the iOS 5 platform that has many similarities (the iPad2 can drive 1080p gaming).   

http://toucharcade.com/wp-content/uploads/2011/06/airplay_blog.jpg

The intent is not to get off topic from Wii U (pricing, controls, etc) but to point out that the idea and direction has some commonality with the Apple platforms. Very similar in some ways.

th'FOOL

View Profile WWW
« Reply #31 on: June 08, 2011, 07:41:26 PM »

Quote from: Raintitan on June 08, 2011, 07:37:25 PM

An interesting feature for the iOS 5 platform that has many similarities (the iPad2 can drive 1080p gaming).   

The intent is not to get off topic from Wii U (pricing, controls, etc) but to point out that the idea and direction has some commonality with the Apple platforms. Very similar in some ways.

Oh, that controller is definitely a reaction to iOS. In fact, I was expecting Apple to unveil their game strategy using a combination of iPad/iPhone and AppleTV before anyone else. Nintendo beat them to the punch. Totally didn't expect that.

Mike Dunn
Raintitan
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #32 on: June 08, 2011, 07:45:37 PM »

"Just reading over at Gamespot that the montage footage was FAKE!!!    

http://e3.gamespot.com/story/6318243/e3-2011-wii-u-third-party-montage-actually-xbox-360-ps3-pc-footage/?tag=updates%3Beditor%3Ball%3Btitle%3B1

It was compiled from other consoles............"

Even worse, the president of Nintendo wouldn't say whether the Wii U would look better. The sales tail on the Wii is a cliff and announcing now without any real software to show, and comments discussing what their philosophy will be when they build the online platform isn't encouraging. This thing is half baked. No doubt it will provide what people love about the Nintendo franchises but I was hoping for a real next generation device to compete with the 360 my living room.
Ridah
Senior Staff Writer

View Profile
« Reply #33 on: June 08, 2011, 09:09:09 PM »

The graphics on this thing have to be at least equal to the PS3, if it's on par with 360 stuff I'm out cause that tech started looking shitty to me over a year ago.

I'm thrilled by the controller.

Sean Lama
Senior Staff Editor, GamingTrend
metallicorphan

View Profile
« Reply #34 on: June 08, 2011, 09:30:37 PM »

wont play Gamecube games
 icon_cry

Manchester United Premier League Champions 2013!!

Xbox LIVE:Metallicorphan
Wii:8565 1513 0206 1960
PSN:Metallicorphan
Devil

View Profile
« Reply #35 on: June 08, 2011, 09:31:34 PM »

That's what I've said over in the other thread.

The 3rd party games on this thing NEED to be considerably better to get anyone to abandon their preferred console (Xbox/PS3) at this point. Otherwise they are back to being a first party only console again, which it seems like they are desperate to get away from.

th'FOOL

View Profile WWW
« Reply #36 on: June 08, 2011, 09:32:00 PM »

Quote from: metallicorphan on June 08, 2011, 09:30:37 PM

Shocking.

No, really.

Mike Dunn
Devil

View Profile
« Reply #37 on: June 08, 2011, 09:38:07 PM »

Quote from: th'FOOL on June 08, 2011, 07:41:26 PM

Quote from: Raintitan on June 08, 2011, 07:37:25 PM

Oh, that controller is definitely a reaction to iOS. In fact, I was expecting Apple to unveil their game strategy using a combination of iPad/iPhone and AppleTV before anyone else. Nintendo beat them to the punch. Totally didn't expect that.

Looks like Real Racing 2 will have the iPad + Apple TV thing once OS5 comes out. So it's in the works.

I'd expect the Wii U to come in a little less than $600 though.

leo8877

View Profile
« Reply #38 on: June 08, 2011, 09:38:11 PM »

Quote from: th'FOOL on June 08, 2011, 09:32:00 PM

Quote from: metallicorphan on June 08, 2011, 09:30:37 PM

Shocking.

No, really.

Snark aside, does this really surprise anyone?  Do they care? 
EddieA

View Profile
« Reply #39 on: June 08, 2011, 09:43:09 PM »

I just can't imagine playing "core" games on that controller.  The analog stick/button placement is odd, it looks to have only two shoulder buttons, and even if it is light, I don't see how it could be comfortable to hold it for long periods of time.  Touchscreen controls work on the DS because it's easy to move your thumb over to tap it without moving your hand.  With this, you have to take your hand off the controls in order to touch the screen.  A touch screen on the controller isn't a bad idea, but it's just way too big.  It seems like the only reason to have such a large screen is to use the controller as a standalone system, and given that you have to be near the console to use it, it's usefulness as a standalone device appears very limited.  A much smaller screen or better yet, one that detaches from the controller itself, would have been better.  As far as using the Wii remotes with it, Nintendo is in a bad position.  If Nintendo doesn't include Wiimotes with the Wii U console, publishers will either have to make all Wiimote usage optional or release games that require peripherals that don't come with the console.

Also, I don't see how Nintendo is going to avoid the Wii U suffering the same fate as the Wii.  Why would "hardcore gamers" buy this when they can already play all the games in that demo reel on systems they already own with controllers that aren't bigger than their heads slywink  When the new XBox and PS come out in a couple of years, developers will again be faced with the decision to port the games to a much less powerful system or not port them at all.

"Why did the chicken cross the Mobius strip?  To get to the same side."  - The Big Bang Theory
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 14   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: