http://gamingtrend.com
November 27, 2014, 08:40:38 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Wii Question -SD CARD  (Read 2215 times)
HankRaptor
Gaming Trend Senior Member

View Profile WWW
« on: January 03, 2007, 04:32:08 PM »

I installed a 1 gig SD card in the Wii..

How does it use it?

When the 512k fills up it overflows? I cannot seem to copy my VC games over to it... can you not use the SD card for the VC games?

Wii Number 6291 3315 9378 1013
360- HankRaptor
PSN- HankRaptor
Crispin sees what you are doing and he is NONE TOO PLEASED.
madpeon
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: January 03, 2007, 04:45:24 PM »

I believe you can copy VC games to the SD card, but can only play them off internal memory. Not sure on game saves.
depward

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 03, 2007, 05:53:52 PM »

I have a 2 gig SD card that I use for:

-backup of VC games (indeed, you can move them to your SD card for 'backup purposes' but you can't play them off of it)
-backup of game saves
-photo channel (I love the photo channel, there are a lot of cool features in it)
-music (custom soundtrack for Excite Truck)

depward on the Playstation Network
raaaaaawwwwwwr on Xbox Live
Kevin Grey
Global Moderator

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 03, 2007, 05:55:19 PM »

Quote from: depward on January 03, 2007, 05:53:52 PM

-backup of VC games (indeed, you can move them to your SD card for 'backup purposes' but you can't play them off of it)

So if needed, I could copy a VC game to the card for archival, delete it off of the Wii's memory to free up space, and then just recopy the game from SD card back onto the Wii at a later date and it will play just fine? 
Destructor
Special Project Group

▲▲▼▼◄►◄►B A Start

View Profile WWW
« Reply #4 on: January 03, 2007, 06:03:20 PM »

Quote from: Kevin Grey on January 03, 2007, 05:55:19 PM

Quote from: depward on January 03, 2007, 05:53:52 PM

So if needed, I could copy a VC game to the card for archival, delete it off of the Wii's memory to free up space, and then just recopy the game from SD card back onto the Wii at a later date and it will play just fine? 

Good question. I don't know if you copy the entire VC game or not to the memory card (to keep the pirates from aggressively attacking the VC game structure). And I have no intention on deleting my VC game (which then I'd have to rebuy as there's no capability of Nintendo's server to 'remember' what game I've bought) to find out.

"All opinions posted are my own, and not those of my employers, who are appalled."
Kevin Grey
Global Moderator

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 03, 2007, 06:07:55 PM »

Hmm, I thought your VC games were tied to your Wii itself- so you can download games again if need be to the same Wii without repaying but since they aren't tied to Nintendo's server it means that you can't redownload your games if you get a different console. 
depward

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: January 03, 2007, 06:58:01 PM »

Quote from: Kevin Grey on January 03, 2007, 06:07:55 PM

Hmm, I thought your VC games were tied to your Wii itself- so you can download games again if need be to the same Wii without repaying but since they aren't tied to Nintendo's server it means that you can't redownload your games if you get a different console. 
I believe they are Kevin.  About your other question - in theory, I would think it would work.  I mean, you only have so many channels.  What happens if you want more VC games than available channels?  Nintendo wouldn't certainly limit the amount of VC games you can own I wouldn't think.

Kevin Grey
Global Moderator

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: January 03, 2007, 07:00:38 PM »

Quote from: depward on January 03, 2007, 06:58:01 PM

Quote from: Kevin Grey on January 03, 2007, 06:07:55 PM

I believe they are Kevin.  About your other question - in theory, I would think it would work.  I mean, you only have so many channels.  What happens if you want more VC games than available channels?  Nintendo wouldn't certainly limit the amount of VC games you can own I wouldn't think.

Hmm, sounds like some experimentation is in order.  I'm really not digging Toejam and Earl (hasn't aged well for me), so maybe I'll try moving it around, deleting, redownloading it, etc to see what the limits of the service are. 
HankRaptor

View Profile WWW
« Reply #8 on: January 03, 2007, 07:27:03 PM »

Way to go Kevin, take a hit for the team.

360- HankRaptor
PSN- HankRaptor
Tebunker

Ask How, Ask Now, Ask me

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: January 03, 2007, 07:42:48 PM »

I've done this already, several times. You can copy your VC title to the card, delete it off the internal memory, and then copy it back from the SD card and it's like nothing has changed. You can also delete your games and redownload them from Nintendo at no cost as long as you are using the same machine you downloaded them on.

I think, right now, the SD card is underused. Hopefully something cool will come around to really make the SD cards worth something more to the system.

"I hate cynicism -- it's my least favorite quality and it doesn't lead anywhere. Nobody in life gets exactly what they thought they were going to get. But if you work really hard and you're kind amazing things will happen." - Conan O'Brien
Kevin Grey
Global Moderator

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: January 03, 2007, 07:51:00 PM »

Awesome, Tebunker.  I think that answers these questions pretty definitively.

One thing I was disappointed to find was that I still had to use a memory card for Cube games.  They should have allowed us to create a virtual memory card on either the SD disk or on the Wii's internal memory. 
Tebunker

Ask How, Ask Now, Ask me

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: January 03, 2007, 08:10:46 PM »

hopefully this is something they can recitfy with a firmware update. Can only hope.

"I hate cynicism -- it's my least favorite quality and it doesn't lead anywhere. Nobody in life gets exactly what they thought they were going to get. But if you work really hard and you're kind amazing things will happen." - Conan O'Brien
Destructor
Special Project Group

▲▲▼▼◄►◄►B A Start

View Profile WWW
« Reply #12 on: January 04, 2007, 12:30:31 AM »

Quote from: Tebunker on January 03, 2007, 07:42:48 PM

I've done this already, several times. You can copy your VC title to the card, delete it off the internal memory, and then copy it back from the SD card and it's like nothing has changed. You can also delete your games and redownload them from Nintendo at no cost as long as you are using the same machine you downloaded them on.

So they are attached to the system. That's what I get for posting while at work (where I can't check out things like I could normally at home). Thanks for correcting me.

"All opinions posted are my own, and not those of my employers, who are appalled."
HankRaptor

View Profile WWW
« Reply #13 on: January 04, 2007, 04:16:18 PM »

Thanks for all your help.

360- HankRaptor
PSN- HankRaptor
Goonch
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #14 on: January 05, 2007, 05:51:20 PM »

Can you copy saved game files from the Wii internal memory to an SD card?
Tebunker

Ask How, Ask Now, Ask me

View Profile
« Reply #15 on: January 05, 2007, 05:52:28 PM »

yes

Misguided
Gaming Trend Staff

Semi-acquatic egg-laying mammal of action

View Profile
« Reply #16 on: January 05, 2007, 06:06:34 PM »

Quote from: Tebunker on January 05, 2007, 05:52:28 PM

yes

Yes, but the interface is really primitive/annoying in some ways.
For one thing, unless I'm missing something, it doesn't give you any info about the save file, even the date/time it was saved.
It would be really neat if the save file were to include some info from the game as well.

Also, I've found that you can't copy a save file from a game if there's an existing file for that game.
That is, you get no option to overwrite the existing save.
I've been copying my Zelda save file to the SD card in case one of my kids accidentally saves to the wrong file.
Every time I want to update the file, I have to delete the file from the SD card first.
Not that big of a deal, but it feels clunky.

Ruining language with my terrible words.
Goonch
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #17 on: January 05, 2007, 06:37:28 PM »

I don't understand what I am doing wrong then.

Maybe I am in the wrong menu screen? When I go into the Saved Game data screen, or whatever it is called, I don't see my SD card. I see the saved game file in the Wii memory;however, I don't see any options for the SD card.

What am I doing wrong? Does the Wii have to be off when you put in the card? I can't recall my exact steps right now.
Tebunker

Ask How, Ask Now, Ask me

View Profile
« Reply #18 on: January 05, 2007, 07:33:45 PM »

Select the file and choose copy...

Destructor
Special Project Group

▲▲▼▼◄►◄►B A Start

View Profile WWW
« Reply #19 on: January 05, 2007, 07:40:53 PM »

If you're unable to copy a save game (more accurately - don't see the option in the first place), you have to take your Wii online and patch the console. The initial release doesn't support the copying of files to/from a SD card.

Goonch
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #20 on: January 05, 2007, 07:49:05 PM »

Quote from: Destructor on January 05, 2007, 07:40:53 PM

If you're unable to copy a save game (more accurately - don't see the option in the first place), you have to take your Wii online and patch the console. The initial release doesn't support the copying of files to/from a SD card.

Ahhhh...thank you...that explains why I don't see the SD card tab  thumbsup.
Goonch
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #21 on: January 05, 2007, 07:52:27 PM »

Quote from: Tebunker on January 05, 2007, 07:33:45 PM

Select the file and choose copy...

I don't get the "copy" option. As per Destructors's reply, I need to update the Wii machine. Hopefully that will solve my dilemma.
metallicorphan

View Profile
« Reply #22 on: January 06, 2007, 10:46:34 AM »

when in Wii management...dont go to memory,go to Wii channels instead

Manchester United Premier League Champions 2013!!

Xbox LIVE:Metallicorphan
Wii:8565 1513 0206 1960
PSN:Metallicorphan
Jimmy the Fish

View Profile
« Reply #23 on: January 07, 2007, 10:12:50 PM »

Will any brand of SD card work? Nintendo says not all may work but did not specify which ones don't. All they say specifically is that anything larger than 2 GB will probably not work. Can anyone recommend a 1 GB or 2 GB card that does work?
depward

View Profile
« Reply #24 on: January 07, 2007, 11:06:40 PM »

Quote from: Jimmy the Fish on January 07, 2007, 10:12:50 PM

Will any brand of SD card work? Nintendo says not all may work but did not specify which ones don't. All they say specifically is that anything larger than 2 GB will probably not work. Can anyone recommend a 1 GB or 2 GB card that does work?
I use a 2 gig Kingston SD card and it works perfectly.  Outpost.com had a rebate for it awhile back..

Kev199
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #25 on: January 08, 2007, 12:08:58 AM »

I use 1 GB PNY without a problem.
Jimmy the Fish

View Profile
« Reply #26 on: January 08, 2007, 12:44:14 AM »

Hmmm, seems like if I stick to the known manufacturers like Kingston, Pny, SanDisk, etc. I should be okay.
metallicorphan

View Profile
« Reply #27 on: January 09, 2007, 08:46:55 AM »

i posted this in the wrong place yesterday...and heres me thinking i was going stupid Tongue

we got a free  Kodak 256MB card with every Wii game from HMV(not sure if you guys have an HMV)...but anyway,its 1949 blocks

i just spent about 30 minutes,copying everything from one place to the other,so i could see how many blocks they held when empty

on the original memory(Wii's internal memory),in total you start with 2159 blocks(maybe a block or two more as i have updated my Wii,which you do when you first get it),i have exactly 1621 blocks left

i have:

red steel save
zelda TP save
wii play save
wii sports save
sonic the hedgehog vrtual console game
sim city virtual console game
super mario bros virtual console game
super mario 64 virtual console game
legend of zelda virtual console save
donkey kong country virtual console save
trial internet channel

so,all this on the internal memory,and still 1621 blocks left..and then,still to use the 256mb card(1949 blocks),so the space isnt bad at all

if you get a 1-2 gig card,i dont think you would have to worry about space again

so,kodak memory cards are fine as well

Manchester United Premier League Champions 2013!!

Xbox LIVE:Metallicorphan
Wii:8565 1513 0206 1960
PSN:Metallicorphan
Destructor
Special Project Group

▲▲▼▼◄►◄►B A Start

View Profile WWW
« Reply #28 on: January 09, 2007, 01:30:52 PM »

As I said - unless you're a huge VC fan (or if Madden takes a ton of space, which I've not heard from anybody), the internal memory of the Wii will be more than enough for now. No rush to buy a SD card. Wait until they get bigger and/or cheaper if you want.

Jimmy the Fish

View Profile
« Reply #29 on: January 09, 2007, 06:10:45 PM »

Oh, I fully intend to download VC games like a madman.  icon_biggrin

I thought I read somewhere in Nintendo's documentation that there is a 2 GB limit to the capacity of SD cards that will work with the Wii.
Destructor
Special Project Group

▲▲▼▼◄►◄►B A Start

View Profile WWW
« Reply #30 on: January 09, 2007, 10:09:08 PM »

Quote from: Jimmy the Fish on January 09, 2007, 06:10:45 PM

I thought I read somewhere in Nintendo's documentation that there is a 2 GB limit to the capacity of SD cards that will work with the Wii.

That's more or less an OS limit than anything else. If it gets patched, you'll be able to go beyond the 2GB limit. I had the same 'issue' with my Palm Pilot for a while. It's just something in the code to be able to 'look' beyond that space.

javahead

Coffee is Murder!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #31 on: March 21, 2007, 02:24:07 PM »

Excellent.

CompUSA near me is going out of business, and the SD Cards are super cheap.

Jesters Do It Till Ya Smile!
          \|/ ____ \|/
        ~@_/ Oo \_@~
          /_( \__/ )_\
             \__U_/
Tebunker

Ask How, Ask Now, Ask me

View Profile
« Reply #32 on: March 22, 2007, 02:31:41 AM »

even without the clearance, I think CompUsa has like 2 1 GB cards for a combined 39.99 which ain't too shabby. They have a 4Gb Pro Duo for 69...

Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: