http://gamingtrend.com
November 21, 2014, 04:16:32 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: [1] 2   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Wii preorder = 10/13! (now with expected availability numbers)  (Read 3330 times)
Destructor
Special Project Group
Gaming Trend Senior Member

▲▲▼▼◄►◄►B A Start

View Profile WWW
« on: October 11, 2006, 04:13:33 AM »

Hmmm...nothing like preordering a weirdly named console on a Friday the 13th.

But, according to this source Gamestop/EB will be taking preorders this Friday for a Wii.

Retailer GameStop confirmed to The Wiire today that Wii pre-orders for North America will begin Friday, October 13.

While Wii games have been available for pre-order for a few weeks now, Friday will mark the first time GameStop has opened up pre-orders on the hardware. In order to make a pre-order, gamers will need to go to a local GameStop or EB Games and ask to put down a set amount of money (between $25 and $50) on a Wii. The money placed on a pre-order goes towards the final price of the product.

North America is expected to receive approximately two million Wii units by the end of 2006, with half of that shipment expected at launch, though recent reports of expectation-exceeding Wii production may cause those numbers to change.

I know I'll be there Friday morning. And it won't be to sell it on eBay, either.
« Last Edit: October 12, 2006, 11:09:10 PM by Destructor » Logged

"All opinions posted are my own, and not those of my employers, who are appalled."
CeeKay
Gaming Trend Staff

La-bibbida-bibba-dum! La-bibbida-bibba-do!

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: October 11, 2006, 05:01:56 AM »

Well, I got to work Friday morning so I'm out.  Besides, I'm not too impressed with what I'm seeing for the launch lineup.  Only Zelda interests me currently, so I think I'm going to wait and spend the money on all the 360/PC games coming up (Gears of War/Vegas/Dark Messiah/Final Fantasy XII/Ultimate Alliance/Call of Duty 3/Superman Returns/Bully/Justice League Heroes/Devil May Cry Greatest Hits/Gothic 3/some others I'm sure I'm forgetting).

Because I can,
also because I don't care what you want.
XBL: OriginalCeeKay
Wii U: CeeKay
-Lord Ebonstone-
BANNED

get naked

View Profile WWW
« Reply #2 on: October 11, 2006, 05:39:32 AM »

Out.  A friend of mine is dead set on getting one, so I'm just going to mooch off him to play & finish Zelda (the only game I want to play on the system).

xbl tag = cthonic horror

NNNOOOOOO!!
ATB

Thanks for everything, Ryan. 1979-2013

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 11, 2006, 11:53:08 AM »

Hmm. Maybe I'll preorder it and maybe I won't. Don't know yet. I don't know if it's necessary.
Gratch

GO UTES!!

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 11, 2006, 12:05:39 PM »

After reading over the launch list in the most recent GI, I'm definately out.  Only one or two game that interest me in the least, so I'll wait until the library is stronger.

JCC

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: October 11, 2006, 01:11:03 PM »

I'm not preordering. I don't trust the EB/Gamestops of the world to actually have the consoles they take preorders for. I also am hoping that I won't need to preorder or camp in a line to get one on launch day. I want a Wii, but I am not going to jump through hoops to get one. I'll get it when I can simply walk into a store and buy one. If that's on launch day, great, if not, I have plenty of other games to play.

-John

XBox Live ID: "JCC Davros"
Kevin Grey
Global Moderator

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: October 11, 2006, 01:15:33 PM »

I've got an appointment Friday morning at 10am, so I won't be able to preorder immediately.  I will stop by at lunch and preorder one though.  Sounds like Nintendo is going to have plenty of units so I'm pretty confident I'll be able to get one before Christmas whether it's through preorder or just walking into a store and buying one (and thankfully the Wii releases on a Sunday so no need to take off work to be at Best Buy when they open). 
siege

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: October 11, 2006, 01:29:35 PM »

I'm planning on just walking into the store and getting one. The only Nintendo system I ever remember being difficult to get a hold of was the N64 and I still managed one by Christmas.
Ralph-Wiggum

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: October 11, 2006, 01:32:25 PM »

Quote from: -Lord Ebonstone- on October 11, 2006, 05:39:32 AM

Out.  A friend of mine is dead set on getting one, so I'm just going to mooch off him to play & finish Zelda (the only game I want to play on the system).

I just read in the newest EGM that the Wii version of Zelda requires that you use the wii-mote for all the sword strikes (rather than having the option to use the GC controller). That's going to be a lot of thrusting. I think I might rather play the game on the GC.
Misguided
Gaming Trend Staff

Semi-acquatic egg-laying mammal of action

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: October 11, 2006, 01:35:19 PM »

I have no idea how many units we'll be getting per store, but all indications from Nintendo and Sony have been that there should be quite a few more Wiis than PS3s. It'll be interesting to see how long the preorders last.

Ruining language with my terrible words.
Kevin Grey
Global Moderator

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: October 11, 2006, 01:35:48 PM »

Quote from: Ralph-Wiggum on October 11, 2006, 01:32:25 PM

Quote from: -Lord Ebonstone- on October 11, 2006, 05:39:32 AM

I just read in the newest EGM that the Wii version of Zelda requires that you use the wii-mote for all the sword strikes (rather than having the option to use the GC controller). That's going to be a lot of thrusting. I think I might rather play the game on the GC.

Thankfully, I won't be playing either Zelda or Wii until Christmas so if such things are an issue I'll still have time to decide on one or the other.

I'm a bit concerned about such things too, but the flip side is that I can't imagine that with all of the time Nintendo has been working on the Wii version that it won't be addressed. 
jblank

Always Outnumbered, Never Outgunned

View Profile WWW
« Reply #11 on: October 11, 2006, 01:42:28 PM »

I'll get one after Christmas.

XBOX 350 Gamertag = Phobos of Mars
PSN Gamertag = PhobosofMars
Destructor
Special Project Group

▲▲▼▼◄►◄►B A Start

View Profile WWW
« Reply #12 on: October 11, 2006, 02:19:38 PM »

Quote from: Misguided on October 11, 2006, 01:35:19 PM

I have no idea how many units we'll be getting per store, but all indications from Nintendo and Sony have been that there should be quite a few more Wiis than PS3s. It'll be interesting to see how long the preorders last.

I'm guessing preorders will be available for an hour instead of 5 minutes like the PS3. Combine a lot more availablity with the fact that people who couldn't get a PS3 might be trying for the Wii now. So who knows.

And I work at 9AM that day. But I'll still be in line to preorder the thing. Work can wait. icon_biggrin

"All opinions posted are my own, and not those of my employers, who are appalled."
Misguided
Gaming Trend Staff

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: October 11, 2006, 02:42:48 PM »

Quote from: Destructor on October 11, 2006, 02:19:38 PM

And I work at 9AM that day. But I'll still be in line to preorder the thing. Work can wait. icon_biggrin

If it is in the next couple of days (and I honestly have no clue) then I'll be opening the shop, which should be fun.

The Grue

You are likely to be eaten by a grue.

View Profile
« Reply #14 on: October 11, 2006, 03:06:57 PM »

Quote from: Misguided on October 11, 2006, 02:42:48 PM

Quote from: Destructor on October 11, 2006, 02:19:38 PM

If it is in the next couple of days (and I honestly have no clue) then I'll be opening the shop, which should be fun.

What time on weekdays do Gamestops usually open?

XBox Live ID: The Grue
Playstation Network Name: TheGrue
JLu

View Profile
« Reply #15 on: October 11, 2006, 03:17:43 PM »

Quote from: The Grue on October 11, 2006, 03:06:57 PM

My local one opens at 10:00 Mon through Saturday anyhow...

XBox Live Gamertag: JLu
Misguided
Gaming Trend Staff

View Profile
« Reply #16 on: October 11, 2006, 03:33:46 PM »

Quote from: JLu on October 11, 2006, 03:17:43 PM

Quote from: The Grue on October 11, 2006, 03:06:57 PM

My local one opens at 10:00 Mon through Saturday anyhow...

Yup, 10am for me, which is when the mall as a whole opens.

AgtFox

View Profile WWW
« Reply #17 on: October 11, 2006, 04:15:24 PM »

Quote from: Ralph-Wiggum on October 11, 2006, 01:32:25 PM

This was known a while ago that the whole game would be Wiimote only.  Difference between two versions (as far as I know) are:

Wii

1. Wiimote only
2. Widescreen
3. Link holds sword in right hand (to account for the majority of people using the Wiimote being right-handed)
4. Nov. 19th release date with Wii

GameCube

1. Cube remote only (obviously)
2. no widescreen
3. Link holds sword in left hand (tradition)
4. Dec. 11th release

Xbox Live: AgtFox
Misguided
Gaming Trend Staff

View Profile
« Reply #18 on: October 11, 2006, 04:22:28 PM »

Thanks for posting that AgtFox. I kept hearing people say that the graphics in the GC and Wii versions would be the same, but even if they are, widescreen is a compelling bonus to the Wii edition, for me at least.

AgtFox

View Profile WWW
« Reply #19 on: October 11, 2006, 04:25:47 PM »

There may be other things different, those are the ones I know of.  As far as I've read the graphics are the same, but of course the Wii version will show more in widescreen than the Cube version would in 4:3.  The big question in my case is whether I can actually stand 40+ hours of controlling the game with a remote or not.  I would think it would get tiring, but maybe that is just me.

The Wii sounds great, but it would be awesome if we could get some hands-on time with the system and the controller.  It is great in concept, but is it great once you actually use it?

Misguided
Gaming Trend Staff

View Profile
« Reply #20 on: October 11, 2006, 04:40:33 PM »

The feedback I've heard from people I know personally has been good. It's important to realize that with only one exception I know of (Wii Sports Boxing) that (well, I have no personal experience, but based on many impressions I've heard or read) most of the required controller movements aren't big or grandiose--small motions woork fine. I think the thing that could potentially get tiring is the movement, but the LACK of more involuntary movement ...that is, trying to keep the controller still when we don't want to move/turn.

Wii Sports Boxing is a different matter entirely. With that one, the accelerometers in the controllers determine punching strength, so you can't just make casual gestures. This one will actually wear you out.

Destructor
Special Project Group

▲▲▼▼◄►◄►B A Start

View Profile WWW
« Reply #21 on: October 11, 2006, 04:55:03 PM »

Quote from: Misguided on October 11, 2006, 04:40:33 PM

Wii Sports Boxing is a different matter entirely. With that one, the accelerometers in the controllers determine punching strength, so you can't just make casual gestures. This one will actually wear you out.

Now that sounds like fun. Get a real physical workout at the same time you beat the daylights out of somebody else.

CeeKay
Gaming Trend Staff

View Profile
« Reply #22 on: October 11, 2006, 05:07:56 PM »

Quote from: Destructor on October 11, 2006, 04:55:03 PM

Quote from: Misguided on October 11, 2006, 04:40:33 PM

Now that sounds like fun. Get a real physical workout at the same time you beat the daylights out of somebody else.

and in other news, the rate of heart attack in gamers who play games on the Wii has been steadily increasing since the console has been released.  According to an anonymous source from Nintendo, it is part of their new strategy of taking away potential customers from Microsoft and Sony: "If they're dead they can't throw their money away on inferior products," the anonymous source said.

Because I can,
Misguided
Gaming Trend Staff

View Profile
« Reply #23 on: October 11, 2006, 05:22:18 PM »

Good grief, I can see the headline now:

Man, 37, dies playing with his Wii

Quote from: CeeKay on October 11, 2006, 05:07:56 PM

and in other news, the rate of heart attack in gamers who play games on the Wii has been steadily increasing since the console has been released.  According to an anonymous source from Nintendo, it is part of their new strategy of taking away potential customers from Microsoft and Sony: "If they're dead they can't throw their money away on inferior products," the anonymous source said.

Destructor
Special Project Group

▲▲▼▼◄►◄►B A Start

View Profile WWW
« Reply #24 on: October 11, 2006, 06:05:09 PM »

Quote from: Misguided on October 11, 2006, 05:22:18 PM

Good grief, I can see the headline now:

Man, 37, dies playing with his Wii

Quote from: CeeKay on October 11, 2006, 05:07:56 PM

Terrible, just terrible. Both of you.  icon_biggrin

On a more informative note, according to my insider at Gamestop, they still have not been told about the preorder date or price for the Wii. Then again, they were informed of the PS3 preorders about an hour before closing the night before. So who knows as of this point of the real truth.

Hetz

View Profile
« Reply #25 on: October 11, 2006, 06:19:05 PM »

Out.

No HDTV support really kills my enthusiasim for this console.

XBox Live: Hetz OO
PSN: Hetz76
Steam: hetz_gg
Tebunker

Ask How, Ask Now, Ask me

View Profile
« Reply #26 on: October 11, 2006, 06:34:46 PM »

Quote from: Hetz on October 11, 2006, 06:19:05 PM

Out.

I honestly would have been extremely surprised if you had any interest in the machine.

I won't preorder but I'll probably pick one up. I am scrimping and pinching to find some extra cash to possibly grab a 360 so I can do the whole wii-60 .

"I hate cynicism -- it's my least favorite quality and it doesn't lead anywhere. Nobody in life gets exactly what they thought they were going to get. But if you work really hard and you're kind amazing things will happen." - Conan O'Brien
corruptrelic

View Profile
« Reply #27 on: October 11, 2006, 06:41:38 PM »

Might get a Wii when it hits the $200 mark (just don't see a good value in a "supped up $99 gamecube" coming in at $250) but until then I'm fine with my ps2 and 360.

It sounds like nintendo is going to have plenty of units available before the end of the year so I doubt they'll be going for crazy prices on Ebay like the PS3 will be. (The pre-order spots in line were going for around $800 with plenty of time left - just the SPOT in line! Ebay rightfully put an end to auctions popping up like that.)

"A gladiator does not fear death. He embraces it. Caresses it. Fucks it. Every time he enters the arena, he slides his cock into the mouth of the beast."
Hetz

View Profile
« Reply #28 on: October 11, 2006, 06:56:27 PM »

Quote from: Tebunker on October 11, 2006, 06:34:46 PM

Quote from: Hetz on October 11, 2006, 06:19:05 PM

Out.

I honestly would have been extremely surprised if you had any interest in the machine.

I won't preorder but I'll probably pick one up. I am scrimping and pinching to find some extra cash to possibly grab a 360 so I can do the whole wii-60 .

Actually, do have some interest in it. I am interested in the whole virtual console thing....but the lack of HD support kills that until the price goes WAY down or I can pick it up used somewhere.

XBox Live: Hetz OO
PSN: Hetz76
Steam: hetz_gg
-Lord Ebonstone-
BANNED

get naked

View Profile WWW
« Reply #29 on: October 11, 2006, 07:53:55 PM »

Why would you want HD support when the hardware isn't capable of putting out HD-worth graphics?

xbl tag = cthonic horror

NNNOOOOOO!!
Destructor
Special Project Group

▲▲▼▼◄►◄►B A Start

View Profile WWW
« Reply #30 on: October 11, 2006, 08:45:53 PM »

Quote from: -Lord Ebonstone- on October 11, 2006, 07:53:55 PM

Why would you want HD support when the hardware isn't capable of putting out HD-worth graphics?

Exactly.

In addition, I have my 360 as well as my PC for when I want 'realistic' graphics. If I want new and original gameplay, I'll be playing my Wii.

That still sounds SO wrong to say that...  icon_smile

wonderpug

hmm...

View Profile
« Reply #31 on: October 11, 2006, 10:26:09 PM »

With all the handholding Microsoft and Nintendo have been doing in their united fight against Sony, hopefully we'll see an adapter that let's you plug your Wii into a 360 for the extra horsepower and HD output.  icon_biggrin
th'FOOL
Executive Producer and Editor-At-Large

Never whistle while you're pissing

View Profile WWW
« Reply #32 on: October 11, 2006, 11:23:57 PM »

Well, my local Gamestop just called and confirmed friday as pre-order day.  Surprisingly, they said they were only allocated 12 units..... saywhat

Mike Dunn
Executive Producer & Managing Editor, GamingTrend
Tebunker

Ask How, Ask Now, Ask me

View Profile
« Reply #33 on: October 11, 2006, 11:51:23 PM »

Quote from: th'FOOL on October 11, 2006, 11:23:57 PM

Well, my local Gamestop just called and confirmed friday as pre-order day.  Surprisingly, they said they were only allocated 12 units..... saywhat

I honestly believe you will have a better shot getting the system at launch from Wal mart, Target and the like as Nintendo has always supported those stores with more systems. Also, I think Gamestop/Eb is being uber safe regarding any preorder

"I hate cynicism -- it's my least favorite quality and it doesn't lead anywhere. Nobody in life gets exactly what they thought they were going to get. But if you work really hard and you're kind amazing things will happen." - Conan O'Brien
pingwrx

View Profile
« Reply #34 on: October 11, 2006, 11:53:26 PM »

Quote from: jblank on October 11, 2006, 01:42:28 PM

I'll get one after Christmas.

I'm with you nothing on their launch lists is a must play for me.

XBL gamertag: pingwrx
PS3-PS4 pingwrx
Destructor
Special Project Group

▲▲▼▼◄►◄►B A Start

View Profile WWW
« Reply #35 on: October 12, 2006, 01:42:14 PM »

And it has been more or less confirmed - the Wii will preorder on Friday at EB/Gamestop. Click through for a scan of the e-mail that stores got last night.

I know I'll be there. I'll be having 'car troubles' or something, keeping me from being at work at 9AM.

CeeKay
Gaming Trend Staff

View Profile
« Reply #36 on: October 12, 2006, 03:03:03 PM »

Quote from: Destructor on October 11, 2006, 08:45:53 PM

If I want new and original gameplay, I'll be playing my Wii.

dude, men have been playing their Wii for centuries.  Not alot of original gameplay left IMO  Tongue

Because I can,
AgtFox

View Profile WWW
« Reply #37 on: October 12, 2006, 03:25:41 PM »

For those that plan on pre-ordering the Wii tomorrow (or standing in line to get one on release), what games outside of Zelda will you be picking up for it?  What else that's enticing is out there?  Thanks much.

Creepy_Smell

Load"*",8,1

View Profile WWW
« Reply #38 on: October 12, 2006, 03:26:21 PM »

Quote from: CeeKay on October 12, 2006, 03:03:03 PM

Quote from: Destructor on October 11, 2006, 08:45:53 PM

If I want new and original gameplay, I'll be playing my Wii.

dude, men have been playing their Wii for centuries.  Not alot of original gameplay left IMO  Tongue

There is just something about its classic gameplay though that keeps people coming back.

Kevin Grey
Global Moderator

View Profile
« Reply #39 on: October 12, 2006, 03:28:16 PM »

Quote from: AgtFox on October 12, 2006, 03:25:41 PM

For those that plan on pre-ordering the Wii tomorrow (or standing in line to get one on release), what games outside of Zelda will you be picking up for it?  What else that's enticing is out there?  Thanks much.

Zelda is tops for me (and is honestly enough by itself) but I'm also planning on getting Rayman Raving Rabids and maybe Excitetruck, depending on reviews. 
Pages: [1] 2   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: