http://gamingtrend.com
December 22, 2014, 04:24:48 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: 1 ... 4 5 [6]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Wii Launch Thread  (Read 13667 times)
Hetz
Gaming Trend Senior Member

View Profile
« Reply #200 on: November 19, 2006, 04:38:02 AM »

Quote from: Misguided on November 19, 2006, 04:24:01 AM

Quote from: JCC on November 19, 2006, 02:06:24 AM

My girlfriend made some calls to stores for me tonight, and I am thinking things look grim. I will give it a try tomorrow and go to the usual suspects, but at this point it looks like Nintendo didn't ship the ample quantity they claimed. Me sad.

No, the demand is just high.

Yeah, as demonstrated by the HUGE lines I saw at Best Buy earlier today.....errr wait there was no line!  icon_razz

XBox Live: Hetz OO
PSN: Hetz76
Steam: hetz_gg
Tebunker

Ask How, Ask Now, Ask me

View Profile
« Reply #201 on: November 19, 2006, 05:57:07 AM »

just got back from Wal-Mart, they had 29, I was 24. Got the Wii, Zelda, Excite Truck, Extra Mote and Chuck and picked up Final Fantasy III to boot. Also bought 2 2000 point cards. Met some cool people and had a good time, probably going to drive a little bit of traffic to this website smile

"I hate cynicism -- it's my least favorite quality and it doesn't lead anywhere. Nobody in life gets exactly what they thought they were going to get. But if you work really hard and you're kind amazing things will happen." - Conan O'Brien
jonsauce
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #202 on: November 19, 2006, 06:42:07 AM »

Meijer was a no go.  Apparently they had 200 people in line this morning and they only had 8 units.  They handed out tickets to a lucky 8 and those people came back at midnight to get their systems.  I guess I should have tried Walmart; oh well.

Seems like these are all going to be sold out a minute after the stores open tomorrow.

Now Playing
--------------
NHL 09
NFL Head Coach 09
Red Faction Guerilla
Rockband 2
depward

View Profile
« Reply #203 on: November 19, 2006, 07:32:49 AM »

Quote from: jonsauce on November 19, 2006, 06:42:07 AM

Meijer was a no go.  Apparently they had 200 people in line this morning and they only had 8 units.  They handed out tickets to a lucky 8 and those people came back at midnight to get their systems.  I guess I should have tried Walmart; oh well.

Seems like these are all going to be sold out a minute after the stores open tomorrow.
Sold out everywhere I went tonight - huge lines and not enough supply   crybaby

depward on the Playstation Network
raaaaaawwwwwwr on Xbox Live
Lee

View Profile
« Reply #204 on: November 19, 2006, 08:10:10 AM »

Amazon seemed to sell out theirs in a couple of minutes. I had two computers refreshing the page too.
Godzilla Blitz

View Profile
« Reply #205 on: November 19, 2006, 04:13:13 PM »

Costco has a bundle available now, but their front page is getting hammered.

However,

Choose "Order by Item#" on the top

Linkie:
http://www.costco.com/Browse/QuickOrderEntry.aspx?topnav=BC&whse=BC

Item# 200619

Just got mine. Package is $335 with Zelda and Excite truck.

« Last Edit: November 19, 2006, 04:16:33 PM by Godzilla Blitz » Logged

Zinfan

View Profile
« Reply #206 on: November 19, 2006, 04:27:23 PM »

Quote from: Godzilla Blitz on November 19, 2006, 04:13:13 PM

Costco has a bundle available now, but their front page is getting hammered.

However,

Choose "Order by Item#" on the top

Linkie:
http://www.costco.com/Browse/QuickOrderEntry.aspx?topnav=BC&whse=BC

Item# 200619

Just got mine. Package is $335 with Zelda and Excite truck.

not working for me, invalid number.  tried their front page and the link to video game bundles but while I can get to both of those pages, the Wii isn't listed
Zinfan

View Profile
« Reply #207 on: November 19, 2006, 04:29:16 PM »

Ahh now front page at costco.com says soldout.  That was fast, I hope the local store has bundles when they open in an hour and a half.
Destructor
Special Project Group

▲▲▼▼◄►◄►B A Start

View Profile WWW
« Reply #208 on: November 19, 2006, 04:36:11 PM »

Quote from: Zinfan on November 19, 2006, 04:29:16 PM

Ahh now front page at costco.com says soldout.  That was fast, I hope the local store has bundles when they open in an hour and a half.

I heard somewhere that Costo was only selling the console online due to lack of availability.

"All opinions posted are my own, and not those of my employers, who are appalled."
JCC

View Profile
« Reply #209 on: November 19, 2006, 05:11:27 PM »

I've heard that some "select" costcos only are selling Wiis in store for launch. I called mine and he said that they hadn't received any but that I should check back in a couple of days.

-John

XBox Live ID: "JCC Davros"
Lee

View Profile
« Reply #210 on: November 19, 2006, 05:42:12 PM »

I am in a drawing at noon for one at a local store. Not sure how many they have, but there were at least 50 entries.

Nintendo America's president said their launch wasn't like the other guys, that everyone is getting one. Yeah in Time Square everyone got one, in the rest of the country it's just like the other guys.
« Last Edit: November 19, 2006, 06:13:49 PM by Lee » Logged
Kevin Grey
Global Moderator

View Profile
« Reply #211 on: November 19, 2006, 05:48:22 PM »

Quote from: Lee on November 19, 2006, 05:42:12 PM

I am in a drawing at noon for one at a local store. Not sure how many they have, but their were at least 50 entries.

Nintendo America's president said their launch wasn't like the other guys, that everyone is getting one. Yeah in Time Square everyone got one, in the rest of the country it's just like the other guys.

I really think the coverage over the PS3 launch made everyone so nervous about the Wii that a lot of people decided to stand in line when before they might have just waited until some time in launch week.

If Nintendo shipped the numbers they said (1.2 million NA), then it's by far the biggest console launch ever and at least 4 times over what Sony and MS shipped.  Which would match my local Target's allocations- they got in 16 PS3s and 69 Wiis. 
Temjin
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #212 on: November 19, 2006, 06:12:54 PM »

Completely sold out everywhere I went today.  Looks like all the talk of being able to walk in on launch day and grab one was nothing but hyperbole. 

Now Playing
Wii:  Zelda: TP
JCC

View Profile
« Reply #213 on: November 19, 2006, 07:05:48 PM »

Has anyone gleaned any info from stores as to when they expect to receive more supply?

-John

Misguided
Gaming Trend Staff

Semi-acquatic egg-laying mammal of action

View Profile
« Reply #214 on: November 19, 2006, 07:15:22 PM »

Quote from: JCC on November 19, 2006, 07:05:48 PM

Has anyone gleaned any info from stores as to when they expect to receive more supply?

I'm hoping this week, but I don't have definite info...it's just hope.

I think some folks are missing the fact that there appear to have been WAY more Wiis shipped than PS3s. After all, how many stores did we hear about with 50+ PS3s?
The fact that they are selling out should be celebrated as a successful launch with a lot of interest, not reviled because Nintendo didn't ship any units.
We'll see what happens, but I truly believe that we're going to see good restocks, unlike with PS3, which could take months.

Ruining language with my terrible words.
Zinfan

View Profile
« Reply #215 on: November 19, 2006, 07:16:05 PM »

Wiiiii-jected at my local costco  crybaby  icon_biggrin.  There were 10-15 what I would classify as gamers waiting for the store to open along with some 10 people who looked like they were just there to shop.  Once you could get in there was a civilized walking race to where the console stuff was stored but alas as rumored no Wii's at all.  I did get some shopping done so the trip wasn't a total waste.  I'll be awaiting the next resupply and see if I can score one then.  Back to trying to score a 50k pt combo in Tony Hawk 8 on the 360 and some more Gears of War as well.
WinoMcCougarstein

View Profile WWW
« Reply #216 on: November 19, 2006, 07:24:59 PM »

Just picked up my preorder at Toysrus.  Their phone was ringing off the hook and I overheard the manager telling the people calling in that they are sold out.  I think the demand was higher for this than people realised.

Lee

View Profile
« Reply #217 on: November 19, 2006, 07:38:30 PM »

Just got mine. Won a chance to buy one out of about 40 people. Lots of people won twice (they didn't let them buy 2), but I played by the rules and only entered once.

Now off to buy Zelda.
Hetz

View Profile
« Reply #218 on: November 19, 2006, 07:40:40 PM »

Quote from: Misguided on November 19, 2006, 07:15:22 PM

I think some folks are missing the fact that there appear to have been WAY more Wiis shipped than PS3s. After all, how many stores did we hear about with 50+ PS3s?
The fact that they are selling out should be celebrated as a successful launch with a lot of interest, not reviled because Nintendo didn't ship any units.
We'll see what happens, but I truly believe that we're going to see good restocks, unlike with PS3, which could take months.

Did Sony kill someone close to you or something? Why all the hate for the PS3? Months?? Try, this week.

spigot

All of the bacon and eggs you have.

View Profile
« Reply #219 on: November 19, 2006, 07:42:30 PM »

Quote from: Hetz on November 19, 2006, 07:40:40 PM

Quote from: Misguided on November 19, 2006, 07:15:22 PM

Did Sony kill someone close to you or something? Why all the hate for the PS3? Months?? Try, this week.

I think a PS3 ran his dog over.

XBL GamerTag: RoboSim
Misguided
Gaming Trend Staff

View Profile
« Reply #220 on: November 19, 2006, 07:45:25 PM »

Quote from: Hetz on November 19, 2006, 07:40:40 PM

Not at all, Hetz. I don't hate the PS3. I'm simply giving you the most recent impression on how long it may be before we have units available to sell in any quantity.
Now, you're correct in the sense that I'm hopeful we will be able to fill the remainder of our preorders very shortly *crosses fingers*.
However, the most recent info I heard on getting units in any kind of quantity was not optimistic.
I'd be ECSTATIC to get extra units in before Christmas, but I'm not holding my breath.
Sometimes these things change in a hurry, though.

Knightshade Dragon
Administrator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #221 on: November 19, 2006, 08:09:19 PM »

PS3 restocks = 3-4 weeks so I'm told by several sources.

Ron Burke
EiC, Director of Gaming Trend
Gamertag:
Gaming Trend
PS3 Tag: GamingTrend
ATB

Thanks for everything, Ryan. 1979-2013

View Profile
« Reply #222 on: November 19, 2006, 08:12:37 PM »

Quote from: Knightshade Dragon on November 19, 2006, 08:09:19 PM

In what quantities?
JCC

View Profile
« Reply #223 on: November 19, 2006, 08:40:14 PM »

What about Wii restocks?  icon_wink

-John

Hetz

View Profile
« Reply #224 on: November 19, 2006, 09:43:17 PM »

Quote from: Lee on November 19, 2006, 09:38:40 PM

Looks like its going to take a few hours to update the system. Guess the servers can't keep up. :icon_confused:

One thing I can not figure out, do I need an SD card right away? Does the system have enough memory to save a Zelda game, or do I need to buy a card now?

You should be good for awhile. It has 512 MB of Flash Memory built in. It depends on how many VC games you want to download, I guess.

Lee

View Profile
« Reply #225 on: November 19, 2006, 09:44:13 PM »

Thanks Hetz. (I just deleted my post since I thought I put it in the wrong thread)
Misguided
Gaming Trend Staff

View Profile
« Reply #226 on: November 19, 2006, 10:02:21 PM »

Look out Nintendo haters, Reggie is gunnin' for ya.

If you find this as funny as I do, this is from a t-shirt for black friday (next week) to be given away at EB/GS stores.
« Last Edit: November 19, 2006, 10:04:14 PM by Misguided » Logged

Crawley

View Profile
« Reply #227 on: November 19, 2006, 10:41:24 PM »

Well I went to the Best Buy I thought would be no problem getting one. I knew they were handing out tickets at 8am but figured there would be plenty and not a lot of people so didn't bother getting there till around 7:30am. Was I wrong about there not going to be a lot of people. There were about 50 in line. I decided to give it a shot and parked, put on my sweatshirt, gloves, grabbed my book and got in line. About a minute or so after I got in line someone came behind me and then a few minutes later someone behind him.

It was cold but not too bad with the warm clothes.

Back where I was I couldn't see the entrance so had no idea what was going on up there. Around 7:50 one of the Best Buy employees walks down the line and is in the middle of a count "43...44...45...". He get somewhat close to where I am and then asks everyone who is actually purchasing one today to raise their hands. A lot of hands go up but a few (kids with families) don't. He starts counting again "56...57...58....oh my god I think we have enough!...59...", he's really excited at this point, two more guys jumped in the back of the line in seconds of each other "60...61" (that's me) "...62...63!" He told us they had a total of 63 units. The two guys that just joined were out of luck but they decided to stick around in case the guy miscounted units, or counted too quickly.

I was a bit nervous since it could go either way.

During this time there were two police officers around and making sure there was order. I was happy about that but other than two cars that peeled out of the parking lot after seeing the line it was a pretty laid back group.

About 15 minutes later I see a few people run to their cars. Some had sleeping bags and camping equipment so I gathered they were passing out tickets and allowing people to go back to their cars until the store opened (at 9am). That was great since it was getting colder and by then the cold was getting to me. The ticket guy got in to view about 10 minute later and I got my ticket...#62. The guy who came right after me got the final ticket #63. I was VERY luck as a few missed lights and I would have been out of luck. The girl behind #63 took it well and decided to join a group she seemed to know further up. Numbers 65 and 66 decided to stick around as well...just in case.

Sat in the car till about 10 minutes to 9am. Everyone had lined up again and Best Buy wanted everyone in the order of their ticket number. Was all very organized and the BB employee's had walked down the line making sure everyone got the message. They also talked about the availability of games including that they only had like 50 Zelda's on hand. That had me worried as that the main game I wanted to get. The BB employee asked whomever was not getting Zelda to raise their hands and quite a few people did which renewed my hope.

For some odd reason #60 and #61 were not in the line. This brought renewed hope to #65 and #66, since if these guys didn't claim their spots the next ones in lines would have gotten it.

The line started moving a bit later. They split the group in half where the back half waited outside for another 10 minutes or so. By this time it was really cold and the wind was kicking up. One kid had what looked like T-Shirt and a Fall jacket on. No idea how he managed as I was cold with everything I had on.

Finally got in to the store and they lined up the second half in the customer service area why the first half got in the purchasing line. They had set up two tables which the purchasers go through one at a time. First table the games. Grab what you want and move on to the second table which had the accessories. Grab what you want and then move to one of the 3 cash registers where they give you your Wii and you pay for everything.

At this point I couldn't see any of that as we were on one side of the BB and the purchasing group on the other. At one point we heard a group of people sing "happy birthday" so I imagine it was the first purchaser.

To the disapointment to #65 and #66 the two missing guys showed up about 15 minutes after we go in the store. Apparently they left after they got their ticket and got lost coming back. #65 and #66 wandered off for a bit then came back with renewed hope thinking someones credit card won't go through or some other mishap.

It took about 25-30 minutes to finally get our group moved to the main line where the two desks were. It was slow going and was getting worried about the Zelda's left. The guy behind me was also very worried as that's the only game he wanted. So at one point, there were about 15 people ahead of me still waiting to get to the first desk with the games, one of the two guys who had been waiting around came to the back of the line with a Wii ticket. Turns out #42 defaulted or gave up their ticket - it wasn't clear what. The girl wasn't around so #65 got it. He was ecstatic of course. #66 was totally bumbed but put on a good face.

When I got up to the game desk I was happy to see there were plenty of Zelda's left. I'd say about 11 or 12. They also had plenty of everything else it looks like so they were well stocked with games (Monkey Ball was all gone). I picked up Rayman and Trauma Center and was content. I also picked up the last Wii Remote which the guy behind me really wanted. But so did my wife. Sorry!  icon_biggrin

When I finally went to pay for it they had only run up the games and forgot to ring up the Wii. The casher was handing it to me. With my gift cards the total would have been $199. But that few seconds of hope for a free Wii was dashed when one of the BB employees overseeing the purchases noticed the mistake and ended up paying for the Wii anyways. Ah well.

I have to say this BB had its act together. Everything was organized and the BB employees were great with giving out information. I like that the police were there and remained there until everyone walked out with their purchase.

So overall it was a pretty good experience. I can never see camping out for anything but waiting in the cold for an hour and a half is doable.

I ended up hitting several stores after this looking for an extra Numchuck. Targets, Gamestops, Circuit City were all Wii graveyards. Surprisingly the two Walmarts I went to had stuff. One had the a few of the classic controllers and Wii Remotes but no Numchuck. The other had a few Wii Remotes. So looks like they got more of the accessories. If you're trying to hunt down extra controllers those that may be the place to go.

For those that didn't get one it sounded like the BB employees were indicating they were expecting more to come in as the days go on but were not sure when they would ever see another PS3.
« Last Edit: November 19, 2006, 10:53:03 PM by Crawley » Logged
Knightshade Dragon
Administrator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #228 on: November 19, 2006, 10:44:21 PM »

Quote from: JCC on November 19, 2006, 08:40:14 PM

What about Wii restocks?  icon_wink

Well, I was told they'd get ~6-10 on Black Friday (HAHAHH!  NO!  Not coming near your store on that day, thanks!) and then regular shipments after that....whatever the hell that means.

Ron Burke
EiC, Director of Gaming Trend
Gamertag:
Gaming Trend
PS3 Tag: GamingTrend
JCC

View Profile
« Reply #229 on: November 19, 2006, 11:33:24 PM »

Well, I think on my way home for lunch this week I will stop by both Costco and Best Buy each day and see if they have any. Since I live near both of them it won't be too much of a hassle to check each day. I've been kind of bummed not to get one today, but I really wasn't willing to stand in line for hours to get one. I think I just missed getting one at a Target in a bordering smaller town today. I really wish I knew Target opened at 8 or I might have gotten one. Foolish me for trusting what someone told me.

-John

Dafones

View Profile
« Reply #230 on: November 20, 2006, 04:22:02 AM »

Good to hear some stores have their shit together, like the BB Crawley waited to buy from. I mean, hell, if the stores are smart, they should almost make these launches some sort of event. Make a big deal out of it, be smart, keep things organized, keep people happy - within reason - and make it memorable. You do that, and I'd put good money down that those who picked up their console at such a store would return for more games.

Now Playing: GTA - San Andreas [PS2]
Yoshi's Island DS [DS]
JCC

View Profile
« Reply #231 on: November 21, 2006, 01:21:49 AM »

You know the Wii console and extra controllers aren't the only thing hard to get. I can't find Zelda for the Wii for sale ANYWHERE today either in store or online. How can they be short on Zeldas? It's not like they are difficult or complex to make and they had to know that close to everyone who has a Wii is going to pick it up! What gives?
« Last Edit: November 21, 2006, 03:43:01 AM by JCC » Logged

-John

Kevin Grey
Global Moderator

View Profile
« Reply #232 on: November 21, 2006, 02:07:06 AM »

Quote from: JCC on November 21, 2006, 01:21:49 AM

You know the Wii console and extra controllers aren't the only thing hard to get. I can't find Zelda for the Wii for sale ANYWHERE today either in store or online. How can they be short on Zeldas? It's not like they are difficult of complex to make and they had to know that close to everyone who has a Wii is going to pick it up! What gives?

Yeah, my Best Buy was completely wiped out of Zelda tonight.  When they told us that we were guaranteed Wiis yesterday morning in line at Target, my next thought was "yeah, but how many Zelda copies do you have?"  Someone on another messageboard said that they asked for people in the line who *weren't* buying Zelda. 

I'm sure Zelda shipments will be more frequent than Wii shipments, though, so I imagine by Christmas anyone who wants it will have it. 
Lee

View Profile
« Reply #233 on: November 21, 2006, 02:56:20 AM »

My local Target had tons of all the launch games (including Zelda), but were sold out of everything else. Surprisingly the local Circuit City didn't even have a mention of anything Wii.
Pages: 1 ... 4 5 [6]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: