http://gamingtrend.com
December 21, 2014, 05:46:28 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5] 6   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Wii Launch Thread  (Read 13663 times)
Kevin Grey
Global Moderator
Gaming Trend Senior Member

View Profile
« Reply #160 on: November 17, 2006, 04:25:23 AM »

Quote from: Destructor on November 17, 2006, 03:09:22 AM

Quote from: Tebunker on November 17, 2006, 01:32:25 AM

Damn on the no 480p for Rayman, I just picked that up today with store credit.

No 480p? Lazy devs.

On the flip side, the game sounds like a lot of fun.

Probably less lazy and more crunched for time.  Evidently the manual even mentions a 480p mode, so it sounds like it was dropped at the very last minute. 
The Grue

You are likely to be eaten by a grue.

View Profile
« Reply #161 on: November 17, 2006, 04:41:21 AM »

Hmmm...no 480p means I might not get Rayman.

XBox Live ID: The Grue
Playstation Network Name: TheGrue
Tebunker

Ask How, Ask Now, Ask me

View Profile
« Reply #162 on: November 17, 2006, 05:51:38 AM »

looks like my cables are technically shipping out on friday, but that just means a Saturday by 12pm delivery...

"I hate cynicism -- it's my least favorite quality and it doesn't lead anywhere. Nobody in life gets exactly what they thought they were going to get. But if you work really hard and you're kind amazing things will happen." - Conan O'Brien
JCC

View Profile
« Reply #163 on: November 17, 2006, 12:47:19 PM »

A couple more reivews from Gamespot:

8.3 for MonkeyBall. Looks like both IGN and Gamespot think this is one of the better launch games.

8.0 for Trauma Center. Sadly, another game with no 480p support. Also no widescreen support for this one. Lame!

-John

XBox Live ID: "JCC Davros"
Hetz

View Profile
« Reply #164 on: November 17, 2006, 12:54:29 PM »

My component cables are out for delivery!  icon_biggrin

XBox Live: Hetz OO
PSN: Hetz76
Steam: hetz_gg
JCC

View Profile
« Reply #165 on: November 17, 2006, 01:02:17 PM »

I just checked and my cables are out for delivery too.  icon_biggrin

-John

farley2k

View Profile
« Reply #166 on: November 17, 2006, 02:15:46 PM »

Well Fox News thinks it is like the moon landing!

Destructor
Special Project Group

▲▲▼▼◄►◄►B A Start

View Profile WWW
« Reply #167 on: November 17, 2006, 02:24:51 PM »

Quote from: JCC on November 17, 2006, 12:47:19 PM

8.3 for MonkeyBall. Looks like both IGN and Gamespot think this is one of the better launch games.

MonkeyBall looks to be a fun game, but unfortunately for me the multiplayer would go unused. So it's just not worth picking up for me.

And my component cables are 'out for delivery' somewhere right this minute.  icon_biggrin
Glad I could help all you 480p people.

"All opinions posted are my own, and not those of my employers, who are appalled."
denoginizer

View Profile
« Reply #168 on: November 17, 2006, 02:43:51 PM »

Quote from: JCC on November 17, 2006, 01:01:36 AM

I have never played a Rayman game and this game isn't on my radar now, but apparently it's one of the better launch games.

That statement tells me all I need to know about Wii's launch lineup.  I played Excite truck at EB last night. It looked very 2003 to me.  I just hope EB has a couple of extra demo Wimotes.  I can see them walking out the door like crazy. 
« Last Edit: November 17, 2006, 02:54:10 PM by denoginizer » Logged

Xbox Live Tag: denoginizer
PSN Name: denoginizer
JCC

View Profile
« Reply #169 on: November 17, 2006, 03:06:31 PM »

My component cables are delivered!!!

-John

The Grue

You are likely to be eaten by a grue.

View Profile
« Reply #170 on: November 17, 2006, 03:11:00 PM »

My wife called me and told me my cables have been delivered.  480p will be mine.

XBox Live ID: The Grue
Playstation Network Name: TheGrue
Hetz

View Profile
« Reply #171 on: November 17, 2006, 03:15:27 PM »

I got the classic controller today and a couple 2000 point cards at Best Buy while checking out the PS3 launch hysteria.  icon_smile

Destructor
Special Project Group

▲▲▼▼◄►◄►B A Start

View Profile WWW
« Reply #172 on: November 17, 2006, 03:24:54 PM »

Quote from: denoginizer on November 17, 2006, 02:43:51 PM

I just hope EB has a couple of extra demo Wimotes.  I can see them walking out the door like crazy. 

Not when EB forces you to give away your driver's license just to play the demo console.

"All opinions posted are my own, and not those of my employers, who are appalled."
Hetz

View Profile
« Reply #173 on: November 17, 2006, 03:32:27 PM »

I just had my component cables delivered!  icon_biggrin

Starshifter

CINEMAGIC on XM!

View Profile
« Reply #174 on: November 17, 2006, 08:41:47 PM »

Wow!  eek

I happened to just check the Circuit City web site about 10 minutes ago and noticed that they were taking Wii preorders for shipment starting next week!  I got a second one for my son for Christmas!  You were only forced to buy a second Wii Remote, which I was going to do anyway.  Free shipping too!  Now I don't have to go out Sunday morning to get my son's system!  Right after I finished it they sold out so I couldn't get here in time to let everyone know.  Blame it on PeteRock.  icon_wink  I must have been one of the last ones.

P.S.  Just got the confirmation email!!!
« Last Edit: November 17, 2006, 08:47:39 PM by Starshifter » Logged

CINEMAGIC - Escape into the Movies!
XM Channel 76
Misguided
Gaming Trend Staff

Semi-acquatic egg-laying mammal of action

View Profile
« Reply #175 on: November 18, 2006, 04:09:09 AM »

Quote from: Starshifter on November 17, 2006, 08:41:47 PM

Wow!  eek

I happened to just check the Circuit City web site about 10 minutes ago and noticed that they were taking Wii preorders for shipment starting next week!  I got a second one for my son for Christmas!  You were only forced to buy a second Wii Remote, which I was going to do anyway.  Free shipping too!  Now I don't have to go out Sunday morning to get my son's system!  Right after I finished it they sold out so I couldn't get here in time to let everyone know.  Blame it on PeteRock.  icon_wink  I must have been one of the last ones.

P.S.  Just got the confirmation email!!!

Grats!

Ruining language with my terrible words.
mirage775

More than Meets the Eye!

View Profile
« Reply #176 on: November 18, 2006, 04:23:42 AM »

I must be gettin old.... I used to be on top of things in the gaming world, but I have to say, I have no clue what the Wii is?? retard  I saw a commercial this afternoon about it being Nintendo related, but I still haven't checked it out.  And something else, these damn systems are getting too pricey for my taste...   icon_frown

Xbox LIVE: Mirage775
Steam: Mirage775
WinoMcCougarstein

View Profile WWW
« Reply #177 on: November 18, 2006, 04:24:58 AM »

Quote from: mirage775 on November 18, 2006, 04:23:42 AM

I must be gettin old.... I used to be on top of things in the gaming world, but I have to say, I have no clue what the Wii is?? retard  I saw a commercial this afternoon about it being Nintendo related, but I still haven't checked it out.  And something else, these damn systems are getting too pricey for my taste...   icon_frown

The Wii is only $249. 

Tebunker

Ask How, Ask Now, Ask me

View Profile
« Reply #178 on: November 18, 2006, 04:46:31 AM »

just found out I won't get my cables till monday, good thing I am taking the day off. I would've liked to have them for Sunday but oh well. I am heading out to the local Sears stores tomorrow to see if I can't get lucky like a couple of Gaf-ers did today.

"I hate cynicism -- it's my least favorite quality and it doesn't lead anywhere. Nobody in life gets exactly what they thought they were going to get. But if you work really hard and you're kind amazing things will happen." - Conan O'Brien
Godzilla Blitz

View Profile
« Reply #179 on: November 18, 2006, 07:19:48 AM »

Amazon has some Wii bundles in stock now:

http://www.amazon.com/s/ref=nb_ss_gw/102-3670542-5064117?url=search-alias%3Daps&field-keywords=wii+bundle&Go.x=0&Go.y=0&Go=Go

Not the best deals, but still, available.

CeeKay
Gaming Trend Staff

La-bibbida-bibba-dum! La-bibbida-bibba-do!

View Profile
« Reply #180 on: November 18, 2006, 07:08:23 PM »

I checked at my local EB today (picked up Gothic 3) and they said they should have units for general sale starting next Friday.  I may pick one up next weekend with Zelda and a bunch of Gamecube games I've been planning on getting.  My new limit for a console is the must be 5 exlcusive titles that I'm interested in are released before I buy it, but with the Wii and the catalog of GC titles I never played due to not having one it's alot easier justifying the expense.  Plus I don't have to buy a new entertainment center just to have a spot to put the console.

Because I can,
also because I don't care what you want.
XBL: OriginalCeeKay
Wii U: CeeKay
EngineNo9

I said good day, sir!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #181 on: November 18, 2006, 07:15:11 PM »

Quote from: GatorFavre on November 18, 2006, 04:24:58 AM

Quote from: mirage775 on November 18, 2006, 04:23:42 AM

The Wii is only $249. 

Heh, only $250.  That's still $50 more than the Cube launched for. Remember last gen when everybody was waiting until the PS2/Xbox prices dropped down from launch prices of $300?  Now that is considered a sweet deal for a 360 and the PS3 probably won't hit that price for a couple years. 

Sandwiches do fix everything.
jonsauce
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #182 on: November 18, 2006, 08:58:45 PM »

Should I expect to be able to walk into Best Buy an hour after it opens tomorrow and have a chance at a system, or are there going to be shortages for this launch too?

Now Playing
--------------
NHL 09
NFL Head Coach 09
Red Faction Guerilla
Rockband 2
Destructor
Special Project Group

▲▲▼▼◄►◄►B A Start

View Profile WWW
« Reply #183 on: November 18, 2006, 10:04:41 PM »

Quote from: jonsauce on November 18, 2006, 08:58:45 PM

Should I expect to be able to walk into Best Buy an hour after it opens tomorrow and have a chance at a system, or are there going to be shortages for this launch too?

I honestly don't know. Anybody care to pass by a Best Buy/Walmart/whatever and see how many people are waiting in line right now?

Nintendo has constantly said that there will be plenty of consoles available at launch. But demand is also high. But it's because its a game system, and not something to be sold on eBay for instant profit.  icon_biggrin
So who really knows right now.

Bullwinkle
Gaming Trend Staff

Watch me pull a rabbit outta my hat.

View Profile
« Reply #184 on: November 18, 2006, 10:16:54 PM »

I called my BB at around 2pm, and the lady said there was a line forming.  However, she also said that they got 63 Wii's in.  I guess my best bet is to call tomorrow at 9am when they open.  I have it pre-ordered at EB, but I'd rather go to BB, as I can get a discount and sign up for a BB credit card and get another discount.  There's also the issue of having friends arriving at the same time my pre-order EB opens, so I may not get it tomorrow if I have to wait.

That's like blaming owls because I suck at making analogies.
Hetz

View Profile
« Reply #185 on: November 18, 2006, 11:02:11 PM »

I went by Best Buy this afternoon and there was no line for the Wii.

I just got this from Wired about the Virtual Console....and I am a little underwhelmed.

Well, with like eight hours to go before the first Wii is sold, Nintendo took their servers online this morning. Wii Shop is the only thing you can access. From there, you have three options: give them money (purchase Wii points with a prepaid card or CC), buy virtual console games, or go into the Wii Ware channel which will eventually sell you the Opera browser and original Wii software, but for now just features a whole lot of nothing.

Launch game list:

* Donkey Kong (NES)
* Legend of Zelda (NES)
* Mario Bros. (NES) -- that's not "Super"
* Soccer (NES)
* Pinball (NES)
* Wario's Woods (NES)
* Solomon's Key (NES)
* F-Zero (SNES)
* Sim City (SNES)
* Altered Beast (GEN)
* Sonic (GEN)
* Super Mario 64 (64)

No TG-16 games at launch! No Super Mario World? No 2-D Super Mario game at all....and no Gunstar Heroes??? BOOOOOOOOO!   

Thanks for the 1000x copy of Mario Bros. though Nintendo!

icon_evil
« Last Edit: November 18, 2006, 11:06:33 PM by Hetz » Logged

Kevin Grey
Global Moderator

View Profile
« Reply #186 on: November 18, 2006, 11:28:17 PM »

Supposedly there will be weekly updates to the VC list on Sundays.  Here's hoping some more get added soon.   The only ones on that list I'll be getting are Super Mario 64 and maybe Sonic.  Then again, I won't be getting my Wii until Christmas, so hopefully the list willl be much larger by then.
jersoc

View Profile
« Reply #187 on: November 19, 2006, 01:15:52 AM »

no line at my BB either. Outside of toe jam and earl, there's no other VC game I want.

and please, for the love of god, port goldeneye and make it use the wiimote. PPPPLLLEEEEASSEEE
Kevin Grey
Global Moderator

View Profile
« Reply #188 on: November 19, 2006, 01:23:39 AM »

Quote from: jersoc on November 19, 2006, 01:15:52 AM

no line at my BB either. Outside of toe jam and earl, there's no other VC game I want.

and please, for the love of god, port goldeneye and make it use the wiimote. PPPPLLLEEEEASSEEE

Goldeneye is a rights nightmare, so I'm not sure that we'll ever see it. 
siege

View Profile
« Reply #189 on: November 19, 2006, 01:24:26 AM »

Just got back from my Walmart and they only got in 26 systems which are all accounted for. People started lining up at 8am this morning.

So, it looks like I'm getting in line at Target at 5 in the morning.
jonsauce
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #190 on: November 19, 2006, 01:50:52 AM »

Ouch.  My Best Buy is getting 46 and the line is already 3/4ths full according to the guy I talked to.  As much as I'd like to wait outside all night in 30F weather I think I'll hold off for a bit and just drive around town tomorrow looking for one.

Now Playing
--------------
NHL 09
NFL Head Coach 09
Red Faction Guerilla
Rockband 2
JCC

View Profile
« Reply #191 on: November 19, 2006, 02:06:24 AM »

My girlfriend made some calls to stores for me tonight, and I am thinking things look grim. I will give it a try tomorrow and go to the usual suspects, but at this point it looks like Nintendo didn't ship the ample quantity they claimed. Me sad.

-John

pricecs
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile WWW
« Reply #192 on: November 19, 2006, 02:41:46 AM »

My pre-order is go to go at midnight tonight smile

Picked up Monkey Ball and Rayman this afternoon, and Zelda will be with the console later...

Chris.
jonsauce
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #193 on: November 19, 2006, 03:23:21 AM »

Meijer (a supermaket in the Mid West) is selling them at midnight tonight.  I need to get groceries anyway so I'm going to go check it out.  I doubt they'll have enough for everyone, but it's worth a shot.

Now Playing
--------------
NHL 09
NFL Head Coach 09
Red Faction Guerilla
Rockband 2
Kurt Stevens
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #194 on: November 19, 2006, 03:54:52 AM »

My Meijer in Bloomington, Illinois had about 20 people waiting at around 9pm in the electronics department. I have one preorderd at Toys R Us but I wanted to grab an extra controller if they were selling them. No luck there. My Best Buy had about 20 people outside with a sign on the door that they had 84 consoles in stock. Not too bad there.  Target had about 8-10 people outside. Nobody outside of Kmart, Circuit City, or Toys R Us. Id say anyone around here that wants one tomorrow and gets to the stores early will get one.
Lee

View Profile
« Reply #195 on: November 19, 2006, 04:11:11 AM »

According to the Gamespot live coverage, the NYC Toys'R'Us has 5000 to sale. Maybe these things will be easy to get?
Hetz

View Profile
« Reply #196 on: November 19, 2006, 04:18:40 AM »

Quote from: JCC on November 19, 2006, 02:06:24 AM

My girlfriend made some calls to stores for me tonight, and I am thinking things look grim. I will give it a try tomorrow and go to the usual suspects, but at this point it looks like Nintendo didn't ship the ample quantity they claimed. Me sad.

Me happy me got a preorder at Toys R Us!  icon_smile

Misguided
Gaming Trend Staff

Semi-acquatic egg-laying mammal of action

View Profile
« Reply #197 on: November 19, 2006, 04:24:01 AM »

No, the demand is just high.

Ruining language with my terrible words.
hornysax
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #198 on: November 19, 2006, 04:24:44 AM »

What's the best place to grab one in the Seattle area?
Kevin Grey
Global Moderator

View Profile
« Reply #199 on: November 19, 2006, 04:37:57 AM »

Quote from: Misguided on November 19, 2006, 04:24:01 AM

No, the demand is just high.

I'm just surprised that so many Walmarts are getting so few.  About 30 seems to be what I'm hearing on other boards (and matches what my local Walmarts got), and considering what a major retail force they are, I'm wondering if Targets, Best Buy, etc are getting the 60+ everyone seems to have expected.

Though I saw a good point on GAF- Walmart may be holding back some stock because they are evidently advertising the Wii for Black Friday and need to make sure that they have some for that in case another shipment doesn't show up first. 
Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5] 6   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: