http://gamingtrend.com
August 28, 2014, 03:37:51 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 6   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Wii Launch Thread  (Read 13439 times)
Hetz
Gaming Trend Senior Member

View Profile
« on: November 07, 2006, 01:16:29 AM »

Not long now!  icon_smile

Just got this email from EB:

And so here Wii are. Less than two weeks and counting until the most innovative product the video game industry has seen hits the streets.

This Thursday evening (CST), November 9, your opportunity to get in on the excitement arrives when our Wii bundle becomes available for pre-order online at EBgames.com. You'll get the best games, accessories and more in one convenient package delivered right to your door - all for under $699 plus tax and handling!

Quantities are extremely limited and there will be a limit of 1 Wii bundle per household, limited to US delivery only. Ordering a bundle does not guarantee shipment at launch and orders will be shipped on a first-come, first-serve basis. The bundle will be removed from the site as soon as we have reached our expected quota.

$699.00 + TAX + SHIPPING!

icon_lol

I hate to see what the PS3 bundle is going to be like.....

XBox Live: Hetz OO
PSN: Hetz76
Steam: hetz_gg
jblank

Always Outnumbered, Never Outgunned

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1 on: November 07, 2006, 01:24:23 AM »

Allow me to once again go on record with my extreme distate for forced bundles.

XBOX 350 Gamertag = Phobos of Mars
PSN Gamertag = PhobosofMars
CeeKay
Gaming Trend Staff

La-bibbida-bibba-dum! La-bibbida-bibba-do!

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 07, 2006, 01:26:41 AM »

so WTF is going to be in the bundle?  $249 for the console, where's the additional 450 going?

Because I can,
also because I don't care what you want.
XBL: OriginalCeeKay
Wii U: CeeKay
Tebunker

Ask How, Ask Now, Ask me

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 07, 2006, 01:28:08 AM »

Good GOD! What could they possibly be making you buy?

System: $249
4 Games: $200
Extra Remote and Nunchuck: $60
Where the hell does the other $190 bucks come from? Are they forcing you to buy more controllers? Component cables? Wii points? Seriously that's funked up. I'll gladly walk into wal-mart at about 4 or 5 pm on the 18th, place a chair near customer service like I did for the Cube and buy what I want, and not what someone is going to force on me.

"I hate cynicism -- it's my least favorite quality and it doesn't lead anywhere. Nobody in life gets exactly what they thought they were going to get. But if you work really hard and you're kind amazing things will happen." - Conan O'Brien
jblank

Always Outnumbered, Never Outgunned

View Profile WWW
« Reply #4 on: November 07, 2006, 01:34:10 AM »

Quote from: Tebunker on November 07, 2006, 01:28:08 AM

Good GOD! What could they possibly be making you buy?

System: $249
4 Games: $200
Extra Remote and Nunchuck: $60
Where the hell does the other $190 bucks come from? Are they forcing you to buy more controllers? Component cables? Wii points? Seriously that's funked up. I'll gladly walk into wal-mart at about 4 or 5 pm on the 18th, place a chair near customer service like I did for the Cube and buy what I want, and not what someone is going to force on me.

Why make you buy anything? Hell, they get your money, and obviously someone is gonna buy AT LEAST one game, most likely two, so why force someone to buy the extra crap? To me thats a serious disincentive, and I don't patronize forced bundles.

XBOX 350 Gamertag = Phobos of Mars
PSN Gamertag = PhobosofMars
Fellow

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: November 07, 2006, 02:15:58 AM »

Bwaahaha, I hate bundles so much. I can't wait to see the EBGames/Gamestop bundles for PS3. With X360, I was already shocked at how low they went. With the PS3, I'm trying to prepare for the worst, but I know they'll be able to top it. No shame at all.

X360 Gamertag: LuckyFellow
PS3: Fellow
Nintendo Wii: 2484 8443 5009 9425
ATB

Thanks for everything, Ryan. 1979-2013

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: November 07, 2006, 03:04:46 AM »

the wii will be plentiful. bundle not, dear friends and you can still party on dude!

warning

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: November 07, 2006, 04:14:35 AM »

Quote from: CeeKay on November 07, 2006, 01:26:41 AM

so WTF is going to be in the bundle?  $249 for the console, where's the additional 450 going?

The hookers.
Calvin

President of G.R.O.S.S.

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: November 07, 2006, 05:03:51 AM »

thumbsdown
Misguided
Gaming Trend Staff

Semi-acquatic egg-laying mammal of action

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: November 07, 2006, 12:36:31 PM »

Quote from: ATB on November 07, 2006, 03:04:46 AM

the wii will be plentiful. bundle not, dear friends and you can still party on dude!

ROFL. That's totally awesome!
The crazy thing is those suckers will be gone in a heartbeat.

Ruining language with my terrible words.
Bullwinkle
Gaming Trend Staff

Watch me pull a rabbit outta my hat.

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: November 07, 2006, 03:29:50 PM »

Does anyone yet know how I can secure component cables at launch?  EB/Gamestop does not have them for pre-order, but Nintendo says they will be available in stores (not just online) at launch.

Also looking for the classic controller, if anyone has word on that.

That's like blaming owls because I suck at making analogies.
Clay

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: November 07, 2006, 05:05:47 PM »

I hate bundles, too, but they are a good way for parents who know nothing about gaming to go into a gaming store (or online) and order something that is guaranteed to be more than their child needs for the holidays.  Bundles = less worry for ignorant parents.  They're probably happy to fork over the extra money to not have to piece it together on their own.

xbox live: nude rick james
Misguided
Gaming Trend Staff

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: November 07, 2006, 05:28:25 PM »

Quote from: Bullwinkle on November 07, 2006, 03:29:50 PM

Does anyone yet know how I can secure component cables at launch?  EB/Gamestop does not have them for pre-order, but Nintendo says they will be available in stores (not just online) at launch.

Haven't heard anything on the cables, sorry.
If I do, I'll try and remember to post.

Ridah
Senior Staff Writer

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: November 07, 2006, 05:50:00 PM »

Ah, I had forgotten all about the forced bundles. Hell, I couldn't afford a Wii and PS3 this month even if I managed to get a pre-order. Seriously, they only have ONE bundle option for the Wii?

Sean Lama
Senior Staff Editor, GamingTrend
Bullwinkle
Gaming Trend Staff

View Profile
« Reply #14 on: November 07, 2006, 06:05:28 PM »

Quote from: Misguided on November 07, 2006, 05:28:25 PM

Quote from: Bullwinkle on November 07, 2006, 03:29:50 PM

Haven't heard anything on the cables, sorry.
If I do, I'll try and remember to post.

Thanks, Misguided.

Tebunker

Ask How, Ask Now, Ask me

View Profile
« Reply #15 on: November 07, 2006, 06:33:34 PM »

From reading things about the classic controller, it almost seems not worth buying unless they do a pack in with the Wii Points like in Japan. Supposedly it will only work with VC titles and it won't work with Gamecube titles.

"I hate cynicism -- it's my least favorite quality and it doesn't lead anywhere. Nobody in life gets exactly what they thought they were going to get. But if you work really hard and you're kind amazing things will happen." - Conan O'Brien
Bullwinkle
Gaming Trend Staff

View Profile
« Reply #16 on: November 07, 2006, 06:54:26 PM »

Quote from: Tebunker on November 07, 2006, 06:33:34 PM

From reading things about the classic controller, it almost seems not worth buying unless they do a pack in with the Wii Points like in Japan. Supposedly it will only work with VC titles and it won't work with Gamecube titles.

Really?  That seems supremely lame.

Any linkage to that?

Arrgh. Found some myself: http://www.computerandvideogames.com/article.php?id=148658  Double arrgh.  That is a bonehead move, I think.
« Last Edit: November 07, 2006, 07:01:32 PM by Bullwinkle » Logged

Misguided
Gaming Trend Staff

View Profile
« Reply #17 on: November 07, 2006, 07:16:10 PM »

Yeah, apparently you must have GC controllers for GC games. We had a used wavebird at work that looked brand new, so I bought it up and will be looking for more.

Read that on IGN or somewhere.

Laner

Badassfully

View Profile WWW
« Reply #18 on: November 07, 2006, 07:48:00 PM »

Will the wavebird work with VC games?
depward

View Profile
« Reply #19 on: November 07, 2006, 08:20:10 PM »

Quote from: Laner on November 07, 2006, 07:48:00 PM

Here is a handy dandy controller matrix:

http://www.infendo.com/2006/11/supported-wii-controller-matrix-guide.html

depward on the Playstation Network
raaaaaawwwwwwr on Xbox Live
Kevin Grey
Global Moderator

View Profile
« Reply #20 on: November 07, 2006, 08:23:35 PM »

Quote from: depward on November 07, 2006, 08:20:10 PM

Quote from: Laner on November 07, 2006, 07:48:00 PM

Here is a handy dandy controller matrix:

http://www.infendo.com/2006/11/supported-wii-controller-matrix-guide.html

Hmm, so I should be good to go on everything as long as I have my Cube controller. 
wonderpug

hmm...

View Profile
« Reply #21 on: November 07, 2006, 08:30:48 PM »

What the heck is the 2nd analog stick on the classic controller for if it can't be used for Gamecube games?
Tebunker

Ask How, Ask Now, Ask me

View Profile
« Reply #22 on: November 07, 2006, 08:52:23 PM »

yeah it's just odd that it supports everything but the Cube..

Destructor
Special Project Group

▲▲▼▼◄►◄►B A Start

View Profile WWW
« Reply #23 on: November 08, 2006, 01:19:49 AM »

Quote from: wonderpug on November 07, 2006, 08:30:48 PM

What the heck is the 2nd analog stick on the classic controller for if it can't be used for Gamecube games?

N64 games?

Are there 6 buttons on the right hand side of the VC? I don't have an image infront of me to look, so I don't know if it does or not.

"All opinions posted are my own, and not those of my employers, who are appalled."
Bullwinkle
Gaming Trend Staff

View Profile
« Reply #24 on: November 08, 2006, 02:36:04 AM »

Quote from: Destructor on November 08, 2006, 01:19:49 AM

N64 games?

Are there 6 buttons on the right hand side of the VC? I don't have an image infront of me to look, so I don't know if it does or not.

From what I can tell, there are 4 face buttons, like the cube, two triggers, like the cube and two shoulder buttons, which is one more than the cube has!  Plus select and start and the d-pad and two sticks...the only problem I see is that the buttons are different shapes than on the cube controller.  And sometimes those icons are used without letters, but it seems to me the same holds true for N64 games.  Good luck figuring out the yellow stick...
« Last Edit: November 08, 2006, 02:38:18 AM by Bullwinkle » Logged

wonderpug

hmm...

View Profile
« Reply #25 on: November 08, 2006, 04:22:55 AM »

N64 games?

Do you think they'd use the right analog stick in place of the yellow buttons on the N64 controller?  That seems like it'd work fine for games where the yellow buttons are for camera control.  It's been so long, were there many games that used the yellow buttons as actual buttons?

Either way, I don't think I'm going to be using that right stick much at all since I'm really only interested in the pre-N64 virtual console offerings.
WinoMcCougarstein

View Profile WWW
« Reply #26 on: November 08, 2006, 04:32:51 AM »

Quote from: wonderpug on November 08, 2006, 04:22:55 AM

N64 games?

Do you think they'd use the right analog stick in place of the yellow buttons on the N64 controller?  That seems like it'd work fine for games where the yellow buttons are for camera control.  It's been so long, were there many games that used the yellow buttons as actual buttons?

Either way, I don't think I'm going to be using that right stick much at all since I'm really only interested in the pre-N64 virtual console offerings.

That is exactly what the second stick is for.  I remember reading that on a launch guide somewhere.

Destructor
Special Project Group

▲▲▼▼◄►◄►B A Start

View Profile WWW
« Reply #27 on: November 08, 2006, 05:24:38 AM »

Quote from: wonderpug on November 08, 2006, 04:22:55 AM

Any of the (generally crappy) fighting games on the console tended to use all 6 of the front buttons on the right hand side. I couldn't imagine playing ANY N64 title with that controller, especially if you had to use the C-buttons more than once every few minutes. Talk about mentally confusing.

And I think it's been said before, but while under Gamecube emulation, you can absolutely not use any other controller except for the Gamecube one (and via 'Cube ports hidden away on the console). It has something to do with how the Wii fully has a Gamecube inside or something, and as such there's no emulation options for you to mess around with.

EDIT: Random thought that just came to mind on the N64 controller. A and B (the primary buttons on the thing no matter if you used the analog stick or D-pad to play) buttons were the closest to the center of the joystick. As such, that would mean that those buttons would be mapped to Left and Down on the right analog stick (IF Nintendo kept the exact layout of the N64 pad during emulation).

But based on how all the buttons are labeled on the VC controller, you'd be allowed to use the standard buttons to press A and B. Still gonna be confusing as hell to play any N64 game IMHO.
« Last Edit: November 08, 2006, 05:27:22 AM by Destructor » Logged

"All opinions posted are my own, and not those of my employers, who are appalled."
wonderpug

hmm...

View Profile
« Reply #28 on: November 08, 2006, 01:52:46 PM »

Mario 64 is the only N64 title scheduled for the VC launch, isn't it?
Bullwinkle
Gaming Trend Staff

View Profile
« Reply #29 on: November 08, 2006, 02:33:02 PM »

Quote from: Destructor on November 08, 2006, 05:24:38 AM

And I think it's been said before, but while under Gamecube emulation, you can absolutely not use any other controller except for the Gamecube one (and via 'Cube ports hidden away on the console). It has something to do with how the Wii fully has a Gamecube inside or something, and as such there's no emulation options for you to mess around with.

I don't buy it.  I believe you, but that seems like a load of crap.  They could program the thing any way they wanted.

Dafones

View Profile
« Reply #30 on: November 08, 2006, 03:18:30 PM »

The Wii doesn't emulate the Cube games, though, it plays 'em. All of the VC games are tweaked to run on the Wii, but none of the Cube games are modified. They're the same lil disks that you popped into the Cube. I've got to figure that would have something to do with the restriction of only being able to play using Cube controllers.

Now Playing: GTA - San Andreas [PS2]
Yoshi's Island DS [DS]
Destructor
Special Project Group

▲▲▼▼◄►◄►B A Start

View Profile WWW
« Reply #31 on: November 08, 2006, 03:23:46 PM »

Quote from: Dafones on November 08, 2006, 03:18:30 PM

The Wii doesn't emulate the Cube games, though, it plays 'em. All of the VC games are tweaked to run on the Wii, but none of the Cube games are modified. They're the same lil disks that you popped into the Cube. I've got to figure that would have something to do with the restriction of only being able to play using Cube controllers.

That's pretty much it. It not only has 4 controller ports tucked away, but the memory cards as well.

This is why people call it the Gamecube 1.5.

And yes, as far as the US launch goes (don't know if there's an exception in Japan/Europe or not), Mario 64 is the only N64 game scheduled to appear at launch.

Misguided
Gaming Trend Staff

View Profile
« Reply #32 on: November 08, 2006, 03:24:50 PM »

I think you may see a rash of Cubes traded in for people buying Wiis over the holidays.
If you don't mind buying used controllers, keep an eye out.

Anybody care to make suggestions for Game Cube games?
I'd like to try Odama.
Is Fire Emblem good? Other turn-based (or action) RPGs?
I know RE4 is supposed to be awesome, but it's not my kind of game.
« Last Edit: November 08, 2006, 03:27:29 PM by Misguided » Logged

wonderpug

hmm...

View Profile
« Reply #33 on: November 08, 2006, 03:53:47 PM »

Quote from: Misguided on November 08, 2006, 03:24:50 PM

I'd like to try Odama.

Off the top of my head, I'd recommend:
Zelda Wind Waker
Pikmin
Eternal Darkness
Paper Mario
maybe Metroid Prime
Super Monkey Ball
Mario Kart
Viewtiful Joe (was that GC exclusive?  can't remember)
Bullwinkle
Gaming Trend Staff

View Profile
« Reply #34 on: November 08, 2006, 04:53:34 PM »

Quote from: Misguided on November 08, 2006, 03:24:50 PM

I think you may see a rash of Cubes traded in for people buying Wiis over the holidays.
If you don't mind buying used controllers, keep an eye out.

I'd like to try Odama.

Fire Emblem was good.

Odama, not so much.

siege

View Profile
« Reply #35 on: November 08, 2006, 04:57:42 PM »

Quote from: Tebunker on November 07, 2006, 06:33:34 PM

The classic controller will be worth having because not all Wii games will use the Wiimote. I'm pretty sure Smash Bros won't.
depward

View Profile
« Reply #36 on: November 08, 2006, 05:03:08 PM »

You know what?  I'm going to camp out for a Wii.  Seriously!  Whoa!

depward on the Playstation Network
raaaaaawwwwwwr on Xbox Live
Andrew Mallon

View Profile
« Reply #37 on: November 08, 2006, 05:08:11 PM »

Why camp out? I'm guessing there won't be any problems finding one in the few days after release.
Destructor
Special Project Group

▲▲▼▼◄►◄►B A Start

View Profile WWW
« Reply #38 on: November 08, 2006, 05:26:28 PM »

Quote from: siege on November 08, 2006, 04:57:42 PM

The classic controller will be worth having because not all Wii games will use the Wiimote. I'm pretty sure Smash Bros won't.

They've said that Smash Brothers won't use the Wii controller, but they did say it would be designed for the Gamecube one. Hopefully it'll work on the VC one as well, as the 'Cube controller isn't designed for fighting games (poor d-pad and button placement).

Knightshade Dragon
Administrator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #39 on: November 08, 2006, 06:02:09 PM »

Next Wednesday I will have reviews for -
Marvel Ultimate Alliance
Tony Hawk Downhill Jam
Call of Duty 3

All for the Wii.  smile 

Ron Burke
EiC, Director of Gaming Trend