http://gamingtrend.com
December 18, 2014, 01:01:56 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: wii,knocks up 600,000 in 8 days  (Read 1557 times)
metallicorphan
Gaming Trend Senior Member

View Profile
« on: December 04, 2006, 06:13:14 AM »

outsold PS3 4-1...okay we know that ps3 is limited at the moment,but its still great news for nintendo that had all kinds of rumours going around 2 years ago,one being that microsoft was going to buy them out and also that the cube was gonna be their last console because of poor sales...so well done nintendo

http://www.pocket-lint.co.uk/news/news.phtml/5673/6697/nintendo-wii-sells-600000-units.phtml

oh yeah and dont forget it gets released in europe this friday!!!
« Last Edit: December 04, 2006, 06:15:18 AM by metallicorphan » Logged

Manchester United Premier League Champions 2013!!

Xbox LIVE:Metallicorphan
Wii:8565 1513 0206 1960
PSN:Metallicorphan
Dante Rising

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: December 04, 2006, 06:23:35 AM »

From what I'm hearing, the 360 was at ~290,000 units three weeks into November. It will be interesting to hear what their final sales for the month turn out to be. I felt like they really needed to get to 500,000 units to put in a strong month, but that may be hard with the Wii and PS3 entering the market during this time.

600,000 is great news for Nintendo. It takes a big bite out of the Xbox lead in America.
Calvin

President of G.R.O.S.S.

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 04, 2006, 07:20:53 AM »

Howsat exactly? If 360 was tracking to sell 400k in November, and Wii sold 600k so far and has a limited capacity to replenish for the next few months and MS has unlimited supply for the holidays-how does even 200k additional Wii's in November do anythign but make a tiny dent in MS's lead? I'm sorry, that doesn't make a lot of sense to me.
wonderpug

hmm...

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 04, 2006, 01:32:02 PM »

Do we have any numbers on the # of units they're providing for the EU launch, or how many units they're expecting to sell there by year's end?
Laner

Badassfully

View Profile WWW
« Reply #4 on: December 04, 2006, 01:41:18 PM »

I've said it before - the DC sold half a million units in the US during it's first two weeks.  Initial sales don't mean much in the grand scheme of things.
Tebunker

Ask How, Ask Now, Ask me

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: December 04, 2006, 01:41:49 PM »

Quote from: metallicorphan on December 04, 2006, 06:13:14 AM

outsold PS3 4-1...okay we know that ps3 is limited at the moment,but its still great news for nintendo that had all kinds of rumours going around 2 years ago,one being that microsoft was going to buy them out and also that the cube was gonna be their last console because of poor sales...so well done nintendo

http://www.pocket-lint.co.uk/news/news.phtml/5673/6697/nintendo-wii-sells-600000-units.phtml

oh yeah and dont forget it gets released in europe this friday!!!

You silly Brits are always a week late with this news  icon_smile Supposedly Nintendo hasn't had much trouble restocking retailers, it's that retailers are stockpiling for their Sunday ads. Which makes the system more scarce than it needs be. I am interested in wh at these sales numbers will add up to by the end of the year. Reggie spoke very confidently of hitting their 4 million worldwide by the end of the year, and even thought that they may surpass that. Check next-gen.biz for that information, I'm too lazy to link it smile . So take that 4 million and divide to probably 1.5 or so for the US, 1.5 for Japan and 1 million for Europe and Australia. If they sell 4 million by years end, not only is it the fastest selling console in a while, it's great momentum going into next year. Like I've said before, Nintendo will probably win the battles in the first 2 to 3 years but lose the war by the end of this generation.

"I hate cynicism -- it's my least favorite quality and it doesn't lead anywhere. Nobody in life gets exactly what they thought they were going to get. But if you work really hard and you're kind amazing things will happen." - Conan O'Brien
Devil

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: December 04, 2006, 01:54:12 PM »

As requested and expected: NiM$

icon_biggrin

XBox Gamertag: Devil13Devil
Wii Number: 0305 6568 6417 2609
PS3 Thing: Slived
Misguided
Gaming Trend Staff

Semi-acquatic egg-laying mammal of action

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: December 04, 2006, 02:05:06 PM »

Quote from: Tebunker on December 04, 2006, 01:41:49 PM

Supposedly Nintendo hasn't had much trouble restocking retailers, it's that retailers are stockpiling for their Sunday ads.

I respectfully disagree. While they may have done better than Sony (or MS last year) we could be selling FAR more than we are.
Demand for the Wii is massive.

Hmm...I wonder if we'd get faster restocks if I had bigger feet...

Ruining language with my terrible words.
siege

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: December 04, 2006, 02:45:40 PM »

It sold out in Japan.

http://www.dailytech.com/article.aspx?newsid=5183
Dante Rising

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: December 04, 2006, 04:52:23 PM »

Quote from: Calvin on December 04, 2006, 07:20:53 AM

Howsat exactly? If 360 was tracking to sell 400k in November, and Wii sold 600k so far and has a limited capacity to replenish for the next few months and MS has unlimited supply for the holidays-how does even 200k additional Wii's in November do anythign but make a tiny dent in MS's lead? I'm sorry, that doesn't make a lot of sense to me.

You're comments are definitely correct if the Wii has resupply problems, but it appears that regular shipments are arriving every week. I do expect the Wii to hit almost 1 million units in America by the end of December. Even if MS sells well, In two months Nintendo will have eroded about 15-25% of the Xbox 360 lead in America. They've already surpassed MS in Japan- by double. (the last I saw the install base of 360s in japan was ~200,000)
farley2k

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: December 04, 2006, 05:10:02 PM »

Quote from: Laner on December 04, 2006, 01:41:18 PM

I've said it before - the DC sold half a million units in the US during it's first two weeks.  Initial sales don't mean much in the grand scheme of things.

Initial sales mean a huge, huge amount in a 24 hour, global news world.  Initial sales and positive buzz are much more important these days than they used to be.  A large part of the success of new system is the launch. 

Tebunker

Ask How, Ask Now, Ask me

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: December 04, 2006, 07:22:45 PM »

Quote from: Misguided on December 04, 2006, 02:05:06 PM

Quote from: Tebunker on December 04, 2006, 01:41:49 PM

Supposedly Nintendo hasn't had much trouble restocking retailers, it's that retailers are stockpiling for their Sunday ads.

I respectfully disagree. While they may have done better than Sony (or MS last year) we could be selling FAR more than we are.
Demand for the Wii is massive.

Hmm...I wonder if we'd get faster restocks if I had bigger feet...

Um, just because your company/store, Gamestop right?, doesn't get restocked, it doesn't mean other places aren't. Look at Circuit City this past weekend, a guaranteed 15 units or more at every location. Gamestop has a couple thousand stores right? It's a lot harder to restock all of those stores consistently when you are launching/launched in 2 other territories and have other bigger retailers advertising your product on a weekly basis, which creates better and consistent demand for them.

As for the Dreamcast selling 500k, this is a wholly different beast. First and foremost the Wii is the "weaker" system launching into the face of Xbxo 360 and PS3, so selling what they did has a little mmore weight.

"I hate cynicism -- it's my least favorite quality and it doesn't lead anywhere. Nobody in life gets exactly what they thought they were going to get. But if you work really hard and you're kind amazing things will happen." - Conan O'Brien
Kevin Grey
Global Moderator

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: December 05, 2006, 02:46:13 AM »

Some of the numbers of Wiis that people have mentioned being at their Best Buy/Target/TRU "restocks" have been comparable to the numbers we heard launch weekend so it sounds to me like the Wii restocks have been pretty large.
Misguided
Gaming Trend Staff

Semi-acquatic egg-laying mammal of action

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: December 05, 2006, 05:05:50 AM »

Quote from: Tebunker on December 04, 2006, 07:22:45 PM

Um, just because your company/store, Gamestop right?, doesn't get restocked, it doesn't mean other places aren't. Look at Circuit City this past weekend, a guaranteed 15 units or more at every location. Gamestop has a couple thousand stores right? It's a lot harder to restock all of those stores consistently when you are launching/launched in 2 other territories and have other bigger retailers advertising your product on a weekly basis, which creates better and consistent demand for them.

I think you misread my intent. I think they're doing a GREAT job. However, he said they weren't having much trouble restocking retailers, and I do disagree with that. It wasn't intended as a criticism. The fact remains that demand is FAR exceeding supply, not only for consoles, but for all controller types, and lest we forget, component cables. I am certainly aware of the restocks at other chains, and have been directing my customers to them. Why? I don't have consoles to sell them, and nobody wants to buy games or accessories when they can't get the console.
« Last Edit: December 06, 2006, 11:39:28 AM by Misguided » Logged

Ruining language with my terrible words.
Sarkus

View Profile
« Reply #14 on: December 06, 2006, 10:07:46 AM »

Nintendo is off to a fabulous start, no doubt.  Last I heard they expected to have 3-4 million available for sale by the end of the year (worldwide) and I could easily see them selling them all.  In the face of MS' goal of 10 million install base by the end of 2006 you'd have to say Nintendo is in a very good spot.

Roger: And you should know, I have no genitals.
Syndey: That's alright.  I have both.

- American Dad
pr0ner

Go Flames go!

View Profile
« Reply #15 on: December 06, 2006, 07:32:10 PM »

According to http://nexgenwars.com/, the Wii has sold 1,205,895 units so far (I have no idea where they get this number from) compared to 384,367 for the PS3.

The 360 is at 8,064,023.

XBox Live Gamertag: Pr0ner
Kevin Grey
Global Moderator

View Profile
« Reply #16 on: December 06, 2006, 07:32:28 PM »

I was in Gamestop at lunch picking up Metal Gear and, in the five minutes I was in the store, at least three people came in asking about Wiis.  The Gamestop manager looked like he was about at wit's end too having to repeatedly tell people that no they didn't have any in stock, no they wouldn't be getting any in today, no, he didn't know when they would be getting more in stock, and, yes, they should check back every day.

Same scenario at Best Buy too. 
Kevin Grey
Global Moderator

View Profile
« Reply #17 on: December 06, 2006, 07:32:50 PM »

Quote from: pr0ner on December 06, 2006, 07:32:10 PM

According to http://nexgenwars.com/, the Wii has sold 1,205,895 units so far (I have no idea where they get this number from) compared to 384,367 for the PS3.

The 360 is at 8,064,023.

Next Gen Wars is completely bogus.  Ignore everything they say. 
pr0ner

Go Flames go!

View Profile
« Reply #18 on: December 06, 2006, 07:47:33 PM »

Quote from: Kevin Grey on December 06, 2006, 07:32:50 PM

Quote from: pr0ner on December 06, 2006, 07:32:10 PM

The 360 is at 8,064,023.

Next Gen Wars is completely bogus.  Ignore everything they say. 

Heh.  As I said, I have no idea where they got their number from.  My way of saying "take this with a huge grain of salt".   icon_biggrin

XBox Live Gamertag: Pr0ner
metallicorphan

View Profile
« Reply #19 on: December 07, 2006, 06:56:47 AM »

25 hrs to go until i get my wii

they rang me up to confirm,but they said that they are having problems with stocks of zelda and red steel,only limited supply....so its first come first served for the games........8am when the store opens i am there!!

Manchester United Premier League Champions 2013!!

Xbox LIVE:Metallicorphan
Wii:8565 1513 0206 1960
PSN:Metallicorphan
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: