http://gamingtrend.com
July 26, 2014, 05:25:58 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Wii- How long will the shortage last?  (Read 1332 times)
CeeKay
Gaming Trend Staff
Gaming Trend Senior Member

La-bibbida-bibba-dum! La-bibbida-bibba-do!

View Profile
« on: July 03, 2007, 03:26:23 PM »

could it be for a Wii-ly long time?  I'm glad I jumped at the chance to get one from Amazon months ago instead of waiting to find it on the store shelves, even if it did collect dust for about a month.

Because I can,
also because I don't care what you want.
XBL: OriginalCeeKay
Wii U: CeeKay
Chaz

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: July 03, 2007, 03:34:48 PM »

Makes me really glad that I camped for one two weeks after they launched.  At that point, the buzz was still building, so the line wasn't terrible.  Still, I didn't think that there'd still be lineups at this point.  It's pretty phenomenal that the demand is what's creating this, rather than the lack of supply.

wonderpug

hmm...

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 03, 2007, 03:39:57 PM »

I really wish that back in January we had started a forum betting pool on when the shortage would end.  I think would have bet mid-February.
Kevin Grey
Global Moderator

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 03, 2007, 03:40:14 PM »

I can understand Nintendo wanting to make damn sure that the demand will remain sustained before boosting their production capacity too much- even under the current shortage they are selling and shipping a million consoles a month.  If they stayed at just that level then they would already triple their Cube install base over five years. 

And when they manage to boost their production capacity they still need to start stockpiling for the Christmas season.

My guess is that we won't see significantly more consoles on store shelves before the holidays than we are already seeing so the shortage will only end if the demand drops below current levels. 

Quote from: Chaz on July 03, 2007, 03:34:48 PM

Makes me really glad that I camped for one two weeks after they launched.  At that point, the buzz was still building, so the line wasn't terrible.  Still, I didn't think that there'd still be lineups at this point.  It's pretty phenomenal that the demand is what's creating this, rather than the lack of supply.

Yep, my decision to stand in line for 1.5 hours on the morning of the launch really felt like the way to go.  Although I would have had one other opportunity in January or February when I saw one "in the wild" one afternoon at Walmart. 
warning

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 03, 2007, 04:05:42 PM »

I finally saw my first Wii at a Best Buy this past week.  I seriously thought about buying it then decided to wait till Christmas.
javahead

Coffee is Murder!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #5 on: July 03, 2007, 04:09:04 PM »

Supply seems fairly plentiful here in Phoenix. I've had mine for some months now, but friends that have been scouring the country side are reporting seeing stores with a handful for inventory these days.

Jesters Do It Till Ya Smile!
          \|/ ____ \|/
        ~@_/ Oo \_@~
          /_( \__/ )_\
             \__U_/
Tebunker

Ask How, Ask Now, Ask me

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 03, 2007, 04:22:03 PM »

Even with Nintendo ramping up the production over the last few months, I am amazed as to how hard they are to get as well.

I would think that Nintendo has been stock piling for the Holidays for a couple of months now regardless, as the Summer is generally the slow time so why ship more than you really need to. I really wouldn't be surprised if the Wii sold close to 2 million units in one month come November. That's just in the US.

Now all we need is for the rest of the library to catch up. I swear if I see one more publisher announce a Wii-sports rip-off I am going to go crazy. It really shows how poorly managed a lot of the industry is when they are all STILL chasing after the big hit with also-ran titles. I was really hoping that the Wii would change a lot of that, and it still might, but a lot of Western Publishers still show a clear lacking of future thinking with regards to game development.

"I hate cynicism -- it's my least favorite quality and it doesn't lead anywhere. Nobody in life gets exactly what they thought they were going to get. But if you work really hard and you're kind amazing things will happen." - Conan O'Brien
denoginizer

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: July 03, 2007, 04:26:11 PM »

Quote from: Tebunker on July 03, 2007, 04:22:03 PM

I swear if I see one more publisher announce a Wii-sports rip-off I am going to go crazy. It really shows how poorly managed a lot of the industry is when they are all STILL chasing after the big hit with also-ran titles. I was really hoping that the Wii would change a lot of that

Actually I think the Wii will make the problem even worse.

Xbox Live Tag: denoginizer
PSN Name: denoginizer
Ralph-Wiggum

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: July 03, 2007, 04:26:51 PM »

I've seen Wiis in store a couple of times. I think it was always at Costco, though.
unbreakable
« Reply #9 on: July 03, 2007, 04:39:32 PM »

Considering the DS is still hard to find in Japan, the answer might be... FOREVER!!!!!!  MUHAHAHA!!!
Caine

My cocaine

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: July 03, 2007, 04:57:09 PM »

i've seen a few, mostly at a fry's which wanted to push you into buying a bunch of stuff with it. 

last week, i picked up one from a walmart sunday afternoon.  they had 9 at opening and the clerk was surprised to see it on the shelf. 

my cousin was ecstatic. 

i'm pretty glad i woke up ugly early for a target opening.  9th out of 40 units.  god, that was a huge number at one store, wasn't it?

"It's like chess with big guns against aliens. Which isn't like chess at all when I think about it." - Jake Solomon
Knightshade Dragon
Administrator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #11 on: July 03, 2007, 05:11:46 PM »

Which shortage?  The shortage of consoles or the shortage of games worth playing on the system?  I'm really tired of playing ports on my Wii....

Ron Burke
EiC, Director of Gaming Trend
Gamertag:
Gaming Trend
PS3 Tag: GamingTrend
kronovan

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: July 03, 2007, 05:22:30 PM »

I'm just glad my kids and I got up at 5 in the morning to get in line at a Walmart on launch day. I'm also counting my lucky stars that I was able to upgrade to the 25th position in line for $20, considering I was 46th at a store with only 40 units! If my kids weren't with me I wouldn't have gotten a token for such a low price; seller just couldn't bare to see my kids go away dissapointed. smile Other people were selling their tokens for as high as $70!

Since launch I've only seen Wii's in stock at 1 EB store about 2 months ago and I was also able to buy 1 online for a friend around the same time.  I really expected the shortage to have ended right around now; the fact that they're still scarce is a surprise to me. I didn't think this would go on much longer than the 360 shortage, which ended around March in my city.
DonD

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: July 03, 2007, 06:39:07 PM »

I got mine at Target over the weekend.  It was one of 5 in the display case.

XBox Live: DonDesio
PSN: DonD_GT
JCC

View Profile
« Reply #14 on: July 03, 2007, 06:40:38 PM »

Last week I saw a shitload of Wii's at Best Buy. I had seen 2-3 Wii's before at stores, but I was floored by how many they had on the floor last week. One cage with a few, and another just full of them. By far, the most I had ever seen at once. Then this past weekend, Costco had plenty of them for sale by the registers. Two sightings in one week? Shortage over!  icon_wink

-John

XBox Live ID: "JCC Davros"
kronovan

View Profile
« Reply #15 on: July 03, 2007, 07:40:43 PM »

Here in Canada they're not available online for purchase at futureshop, Best Buy or Toys r us. Nor are there any at the 3 futureshop , 2 Best Buy or 6 EB stores nearest to me. So I'd say at least in my Canadian city they're still in very short supply. The lack of units at the 3 online retailers I mentioned, leads me to believe that this shortage may be consistent throughout Canada.

So if there's no longer a shortage of Wii's in the US, is it due to an increase in production by Big N or overall declining sales?
warning

View Profile
« Reply #16 on: July 03, 2007, 07:49:51 PM »

I'm guessing declining sales.

But I'm not sure that all console sales don't decline during the summer and pick up in the fall/winter around Christmas.
Tebunker

Ask How, Ask Now, Ask me

View Profile
« Reply #17 on: July 03, 2007, 08:46:00 PM »

Quote from: kronovan on July 03, 2007, 07:40:43 PM

Here in Canada they're not available online for purchase at futureshop, Best Buy or Toys r us. Nor are there any at the 3 futureshop , 2 Best Buy or 6 EB stores nearest to me. So I'd say at least in my Canadian city they're still in very short supply. The lack of units at the 3 online retailers I mentioned, leads me to believe that this shortage may be consistent throughout Canada.

So if there's no longer a shortage of Wii's in the US, is it due to an increase in production by Big N or overall declining sales?

well, as the article points out the shortage is still in full effect. It will eventually wean because of declining sales, but Wii sales have increased in March, April, and May. So it's really anyone's guess.

"I hate cynicism -- it's my least favorite quality and it doesn't lead anywhere. Nobody in life gets exactly what they thought they were going to get. But if you work really hard and you're kind amazing things will happen." - Conan O'Brien
DonD

View Profile
« Reply #18 on: July 03, 2007, 10:13:16 PM »

I should mention I took a couple of trips to various Target, Walmart & EB/Gamestops before scoring my Wii on the weekend.  In all, I'd say I hit up 6 different stores before finding the Wii.

XBox Live: DonDesio
PSN: DonD_GT
CSL

View Profile
« Reply #19 on: July 03, 2007, 10:23:11 PM »

Working at a Wal-Mart I've found that we are getting Wii's in stock far more frequently over the last month or so than we used to - getting more in per week than we used to in a month for example - and moreover they don't all sell in the space of four hours. The only thing that comes close to selling as much as the Wii are the DS and the PS2 with the X=Box 360 in a far fourth place.
Atragon
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #20 on: July 04, 2007, 12:05:39 AM »

I would submit that the Wii's availability is inversely related to your desire to obtain one. Thus, if you either own one, or don't want one, you see them all over the place. But conversely, if you do want one, it suddenly becomes very difficult to find one.

*note* This is all conjecture as I have owned a Wii since launch day. (Yay Pwii-order, Sorry, couldn't resist the pun).

"We do what we must because we can."
X-Box Live: TragicNut
CeeKay
Gaming Trend Staff

La-bibbida-bibba-dum! La-bibbida-bibba-do!

View Profile
« Reply #21 on: July 04, 2007, 01:24:30 AM »

Quote from: CSL on July 03, 2007, 10:23:11 PM

Working at a Wal-Mart I've found that we are getting Wii's in stock far more frequently over the last month or so than we used to - getting more in per week than we used to in a month for example - and moreover they don't all sell in the space of four hours. The only thing that comes close to selling as much as the Wii are the DS and the PS2 with the X=Box 360 in a far fourth place.

does the PS3 even rank?

Because I can,
also because I don't care what you want.
XBL: OriginalCeeKay
Wii U: CeeKay
Misguided
Gaming Trend Staff

Semi-acquatic egg-laying mammal of action

View Profile
« Reply #22 on: July 04, 2007, 03:21:08 PM »

Quote from: warning on July 03, 2007, 07:49:51 PM

I'm guessing declining sales.

But I'm not sure that all console sales don't decline during the summer and pick up in the fall/winter around Christmas.

There's no decline in Wii sales from where I'm sitting. Our last shipment was gone in 5 minutes.
The only place they've been available locally is at the warehouse clubs, but no doubt they are getting very large shipments.
I've been sending oodles of customers that way. I want people to get the console and I have none to sell. Nobody wants to buy games for a console they can't get.

Ruining language with my terrible words.
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: