http://gamingtrend.com
April 17, 2014, 10:40:39 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: [1] 2   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Wii global sales overtake 360  (Read 3263 times)
Ridah
Senior Staff Writer
Gaming Trend Senior Member

View Profile
« on: September 12, 2007, 09:00:26 PM »

Linky (not like you wouldn't believe me if I didn't have one):

http://www.ft.com/cms/s/0/51df0c84-6154-11dc-bf25-0000779fd2ac.html

"The report which is based on sales figures from Enterbrain in Japan, The NPD Group in the U.S. and GfK of Germany in Europe, claims that consumers around the world have purchased a total of nine million Wiis, 8.9 million Xbox 360 units and 3.7 million PS3s. While Nintendo has dominated the handheld gaming landscape ever since the first Game Boy was introduced (and the company is more than dominating with its DS), it's been a very long time since Nintendo has actually been #1 in the console business."

Microsoft simply can't keep up with the Wii globally since they are missing out on 1/3 of the market. Go Japan! Go soccer moms! slywink slywink

« Last Edit: September 12, 2007, 09:02:26 PM by Ridah » Logged

Sean Lama
Senior Staff Editor, GamingTrend
Tebunker

Ask How, Ask Now, Ask me

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: September 12, 2007, 09:07:54 PM »

Yeah, I saw this, it has been known for a couple weeks now, most tracking places put the numbers more in the range of 10.1 million Wiis versus like 10 million 360's .

I don't know if it says more about who the Wii is reaching, or more about how much Microsoft has squandered a year lead. Probably a combination of both.

Now if Wii developers could just get off their collective asses and realize that there is a market for all types of games on the system, and that if they actually took the time and had the budget they could make much more attractive titles.

"I hate cynicism -- it's my least favorite quality and it doesn't lead anywhere. Nobody in life gets exactly what they thought they were going to get. But if you work really hard and you're kind amazing things will happen." - Conan O'Brien
Farscry

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 12, 2007, 09:08:08 PM »

Isn't this news a month old? Not trolling, I just swear I could remember this being a note when the last NPD sales data was released.

Purge - You have unlocked an Achievement!
You are now of the rank reprobate
Ridah
Senior Staff Writer

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 12, 2007, 09:09:23 PM »

Quote from: Farscry on September 12, 2007, 09:08:08 PM

Isn't this news a month old? Not trolling, I just swear I could remember this being a note when the last NPD sales data was released.

I thought it hadn't been confirmed so I threw this post up when I saw the figures. *shrug*

Sean Lama
warning

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 12, 2007, 09:31:51 PM »

Here ya go!

jblank

Always Outnumbered, Never Outgunned

View Profile WWW
« Reply #5 on: September 12, 2007, 09:32:15 PM »

Quote from: Tebunker on September 12, 2007, 09:07:54 PM

Yeah, I saw this, it has been known for a couple weeks now, most tracking places put the numbers more in the range of 10.1 million Wiis versus like 10 million 360's .

I don't know if it says more about who the Wii is reaching, or more about how much Microsoft has squandered a year lead. Probably a combination of both.

Now if Wii developers could just get off their collective asses and realize that there is a market for all types of games on the system, and that if they actually took the time and had the budget they could make much more attractive titles.

I still think it's more the price than anything. If the systems were reversed and that 360 was $249, we'd be talking about the amazing success it is having. Even so, I still shake my head at how many people are buying Wii's, there is literally just nothing that seems interesting to me and the subpar graphics capabilities are a turn off.

XBOX 350 Gamertag = Phobos of Mars
PSN Gamertag = PhobosofMars
Jarrodhk

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: September 12, 2007, 09:56:43 PM »

Price certainly plays a role, but, the Wii is also very well marketed.  It is small, something that is very important in Japan, and the focus is on playing games with other people.  In the same room.  MS just has no momentum in Japan, and as we can see, that makes a difference.

I really wish I did like the Wii and its line-up of games, but, I don't.  Who knows, give it a couple of years and I may change my mind.

Pikachu, I Blame you!
biggercup

View Profile WWW
« Reply #7 on: September 12, 2007, 10:22:00 PM »

I do play XBOX360 most of time but when I play with my wife or friends who doesn't really play game, you just can't beat the Wii for FUN FUN FUN factor.
I still can't play Zelda for Wii because every time I turn the Wii on, I wound up playing Wii Sport or Wii Play with my wife.
Kevin Grey
Global Moderator

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: September 12, 2007, 10:50:01 PM »

Quote from: Ridah on September 12, 2007, 09:00:26 PM

Microsoft simply can't keep up with the Wii globally since they are missing out on 1/3 of the market. Go Japan! Go soccer moms! slywink slywink

To be fair they can't even keep up just domestically
Caine

My cocaine

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: September 12, 2007, 10:52:13 PM »

i had a ton of fun with the wii in the first 4 months or so, but i got a little burned out on paper mario.  not sure why, but i had a lot of hope in the game and felt let down when i got past the initial wow factor.  i think i gave up about half way through.  since then, i've played a handful of wii sports and more gc games than wii ones.  if i hadn't picked up an elite i would have probably grabbed the few games released since then (RE and MP3) 

now, i have a lot more fun with the 360.  it went from new hotness to top of the played list.  the pc i built last year for oblivion gets less play than the ds, and i only really play the ds when away from home.  two worlds is the first pc game i've picked up since stalker.  mario galaxy will be the next wii game i grab, but not until after mass effect.  not sure what else interests me at this point though.    the thought about selling it has crossed my mind several times and if it weren't for the gc games i have, i would have already sold it.

my playlist by system:

360 40%
DS 30%
PC  15%
Wii 10%
PS3 5%
PSP 0%

"It's like chess with big guns against aliens. Which isn't like chess at all when I think about it." - Jake Solomon
jblank

View Profile WWW
« Reply #10 on: September 12, 2007, 10:53:19 PM »

Quote from: Jarrodhk on September 12, 2007, 09:56:43 PM

Price certainly plays a role, but, the Wii is also very well marketed.  It is small, something that is very important in Japan, and the focus is on playing games with other people.  In the same room.  MS just has no momentum in Japan, and as we can see, that makes a difference.

I really wish I did like the Wii and its line-up of games, but, I don't.  Who knows, give it a couple of years and I may change my mind.

Same here, I had one for a while, gave it a more than fair shot, but there literally was just nothing I wanted to play. Look at it this way, I had Excitetruck for the Wii, then bought Battlestations: Midway for the 360 the day after. Both are mid-tier quality games on their respective console, but what has more appeal? Do I wanna sit there, hold a remote, trying like hell to steer accurately with it, or play a WWII Naval sim online, in HD, with a well laid out, familiar, comfortable controller? I maybe spent 90 minutes on Excitetruck and played....jeez.....20 hours or so with B:M.

With a more conventional game control system (or if this current one gets better implemented) and some interesting games, I might give it another shot, but I am not really too keen on non-HD gaming after owning 2 HD consoles.

denoginizer

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: September 13, 2007, 12:39:49 AM »

I am starting to think that the popularity of the Wii has more to do with Wii Sports than the Wii itself.

I heard an interview with 2 "Alpha Moms" on EGM's podcast recently.  Even though Nintendo gave the two ladies Wiis along with Zelda and a few other games, they had not even tried Zelda or the others in months.  When my non-gaming friends come over the two games they want to play are Guitar Hero 2 and Wii Sports.  I honstely don't think they know or care which console each one runs on.  I would guess that a large portion of people who bought Wiis aren't even aware that other games are available beyond Wii Sports.  Nor do they care.

I think if Sony were to bundle a PS2, a waggle controller, and a Wii Sports clone selling for $150 they would sell tons of them with the right marketing campaign. 
« Last Edit: September 13, 2007, 02:11:28 AM by denoginizer » Logged

Xbox Live Tag: denoginizer
PSN Name: denoginizer
CeeKay
Gaming Trend Staff

La-bibbida-bibba-dum! La-bibbida-bibba-do!

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: September 13, 2007, 12:54:28 AM »

right now the only games I have for the Wii are Wii Sports and Wii Play plus a few Gamecube games, and other the MP3 I don't foresee buying anything else for it this year  icon_frown

Because I can,
also because I don't care what you want.
XBL: OriginalCeeKay
Wii U: CeeKay
warning

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: September 13, 2007, 02:37:16 AM »

They had the balls to jump out of the head to head between Microsoft and Sony and release a system much less powerful.

They had the balls to release a system with a very different type of controller.

They had the balls to price it at $250 and include a game with broad mass-market appeal.

God bless 'em.

I don't have a Wii yet but my kids want one for Christmas.  If I can find one.  I still can't count on being able to just walk into a store and walk out with one.
Tebunker

Ask How, Ask Now, Ask me

View Profile
« Reply #14 on: September 13, 2007, 02:58:22 AM »

Quote from: CeeKay on September 13, 2007, 12:54:28 AM

right now the only games I have for the Wii are Wii Sports and Wii Play plus a few Gamecube games, and other the MP3 I don't foresee buying anything else for it this year  icon_frown

Let's see, I'll look over at the shelf;

Metal Slug Anthology <- you can get it elsewhere, but not when it was released
Metroid Prime 3
RE 4
LOZ Twighlight Princess
Kororinpa
Super Paper Mario
Mario Superstrikers

I've owned and traded in several titles including, Super Swing Golf (hope the sequel fixes some of the niggling issues), Scarface (solid action title that needed some refined controls), Godfather (shows what great fun can be had when developers put their mind into the controls), SSX Blur (not as good as it reviewed, it was solid but needed more time)

I'd say I am happy with what I've gotten on the system. I hope to see more.

"I hate cynicism -- it's my least favorite quality and it doesn't lead anywhere. Nobody in life gets exactly what they thought they were going to get. But if you work really hard and you're kind amazing things will happen." - Conan O'Brien
CeeKay
Gaming Trend Staff

View Profile
« Reply #15 on: September 13, 2007, 03:58:39 AM »

Quote from: Tebunker on September 13, 2007, 02:58:22 AM

Quote from: CeeKay on September 13, 2007, 12:54:28 AM

Let's see, I'll look over at the shelf;

Metal Slug Anthology <- you can get it elsewhere, but not when it was released
Metroid Prime 3
RE 4
LOZ Twighlight Princess
Kororinpa
Super Paper Mario
Mario Superstrikers

I've owned and traded in several titles including, Super Swing Golf (hope the sequel fixes some of the niggling issues), Scarface (solid action title that needed some refined controls), Godfather (shows what great fun can be had when developers put their mind into the controls), SSX Blur (not as good as it reviewed, it was solid but needed more time)

I'd say I am happy with what I've gotten on the system. I hope to see more.

I may end up picking up Mario Strikers used.  I gave up on Scarface-  the controls were going to make me put the Wii-Mote through the wall, and it was more irritating because I had traded in the Godfather for it right after I completed it.  I forgot that Soulcalibur Legends and Godzilla Unleashed are tentatively scheduled for this year too, so hopefully they come out and my Wii sees some more use.

Because I can,
EngineNo9

I said good day, sir!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #16 on: September 13, 2007, 04:39:17 AM »

Soul Calibur Legends and Godzilla Unleashed are the two titles that I am actually excited about on the Wii for this year.  I'd like to say Mario Galaxy, but I really have no faith in their camera handling. 

Sandwiches do fix everything.
Destructor
Special Project Group

▲▲▼▼◄►◄►B A Start

View Profile WWW
« Reply #17 on: September 13, 2007, 04:51:29 AM »

Why hasn't any of you Wii owners thought of getting Smash Bros when it comes out this year? The last title was the best fighter on the Gamecube (although that isn't saying too much), and it sold like a bazillion copies. And the sequel will offer online play, in addition to a much more expanded roster (or at least it's looking like it at least).

"All opinions posted are my own, and not those of my employers, who are appalled."
Ridah
Senior Staff Writer

View Profile
« Reply #18 on: September 13, 2007, 05:04:58 AM »

I'm curious to see the Metroid numbers Vs. the Bioshock numbers.

*After Edit*

Oh and allow me to clarify that I mean first week sales numbers versus first week sales numbers. A bunch of websites are reporting Metroid week 1 vs. Bioshock week 2 numbers and make it sound like Metroid sold more it's first week than Bio did it's first week.
« Last Edit: September 13, 2007, 05:20:41 AM by Ridah » Logged

Sean Lama
Kevin Grey
Global Moderator

View Profile
« Reply #19 on: September 13, 2007, 05:18:05 AM »

Quote from: Ridah on September 13, 2007, 05:04:58 AM

*After Edit*

Oh and allow me to clarify that I mean first week sales numbers first first week sales numbers. A bunch of websites are reporting Metroid week 1 vs. Bioshock week 2 numbers and saying Metroid outsold it.

You almost certainly won't see first week sales numbers- NPDs are the only numbers we'll get and they will be for the entire month of August so you'll have two weeks of Bioshock vs one week of Metroid. 

Also, Bioshock no doubt sold far better than Metroid.  Most estimates have Bioshock doing 600k+ and I'm not even sure Metroid Prime 1 did that in it's debut month which was November and consequently benefitted from holiday sales.  Metroid Prime 3 in August ain't going to do that. 

A lot of people don't realize that Metroid is by far the smallest selling of Nintendo's major franchises.  They have never put up near the numbers that Mario and Zelda do. 
CeeKay
Gaming Trend Staff

View Profile
« Reply #20 on: September 13, 2007, 07:18:27 AM »

Quote from: Destructor on September 13, 2007, 04:51:29 AM

Why hasn't any of you Wii owners thought of getting Smash Bros when it comes out this year? The last title was the best fighter on the Gamecube (although that isn't saying too much), and it sold like a bazillion copies. And the sequel will offer online play, in addition to a much more expanded roster (or at least it's looking like it at least).

It's kinda low on my 'Games to possibly consider' list.

Because I can,
Destructor
Special Project Group

▲▲▼▼◄►◄►B A Start

View Profile WWW
« Reply #21 on: September 13, 2007, 02:00:45 PM »

Quote from: Kevin Grey on September 13, 2007, 05:18:05 AM

A lot of people don't realize that Metroid is by far the smallest selling of Nintendo's major franchises.  They have never put up near the numbers that Mario and Zelda do. 

That is true. And as a whole, the series doesn't do well at all in Japan either. This is why we never saw a Metroid game during the N64 generation.

"All opinions posted are my own, and not those of my employers, who are appalled."
Kevin Grey
Global Moderator

View Profile
« Reply #22 on: September 13, 2007, 02:04:25 PM »

Quote from: Destructor on September 13, 2007, 02:00:45 PM

That is true. And as a whole, the series doesn't do well at all in Japan either. This is why we never saw a Metroid game during the N64 generation.

Yeah, I know Nintendo's official party line is that they didn't know what more to do with Metroid in the N64 generation which is why they ultimately brought in Retro but I still think that if the series had the sales of Mario and Zelda then there would have been a Metroid 64 one way or another. 
JCC

View Profile
« Reply #23 on: September 13, 2007, 02:46:59 PM »

Supposedly, Metroid Prime 3 did 400k in its first week, which is way better than I expected. Since Bioshock did 1.5 million (according to 2k)  (in what, 3 weeks?) I think it is very unlikely that Metroid Prime 3 will outsell Bioshock. I believe MP1 did around a million in total, and MP3 may well ultimately beat that #, which should thrill Nintendo.

Now, I demand Nintendo make a new 2D Metroid for the DS!!!!! (Sorry, but Hunters sucked.)

-John

XBox Live ID: "JCC Davros"
kronovan

View Profile
« Reply #24 on: September 13, 2007, 02:47:17 PM »

Quote from: Ridah on September 13, 2007, 05:04:58 AM

*After Edit*

Oh and allow me to clarify that I mean first week sales numbers first first week sales numbers. A bunch of websites are reporting Metroid week 1 vs. Bioshock week 2 numbers and saying Metroid outsold it.

You almost certainly won't see first week sales numbers- NPDs are the only numbers we'll get and they will be for the entire month of August so you'll have two weeks of Bioshock vs one week of Metroid. 

Also, Bioshock no doubt sold far better than Metroid.  Most estimates have Bioshock doing 600k+ and I'm not even sure Metroid Prime 1 did that in it's debut month which was November and consequently benefitted from holiday sales.  Metroid Prime 3 in August ain't going to do that. 

With the 360 demographic being what it is there's no chance that MP3 will outsell Bioshock [360]. It's possible it might outsell Bioshock [PC], but we won't know for sure as the PC numbers aren't reported.
I agree that MP3 has much more appeal to a western audience and it never caught on to the same extend in Japan. Either way it will definitely sell enough to make Big N happy; just another component in their money making machine.
Kevin Grey
Global Moderator

View Profile
« Reply #25 on: September 13, 2007, 03:31:30 PM »

Quote from: JCC on September 13, 2007, 02:46:59 PM

Supposedly, Metroid Prime 3 did 400k in its first week, which is way better than I expected. Since Bioshock did 1.5 million (according to 2k)  (in what, 3 weeks?) I think it is very unlikely that Metroid Prime 3 will outsell Bioshock. I believe MP1 did around a million in total, and MP3 may well ultimately beat that #, which should thrill Nintendo.

Now, I demand Nintendo make a new 2D Metroid for the DS!!!!! (Sorry, but Hunters sucked.)

Those Bioshock numbers are shipped not sold, worldwide, and include both PC and 360.  Bioshock's NPDs will be huge but wont be anywhere close to 1.5 million.  *If* Metroid Prime 3 did 400k that would be outstanding for the title but we'll see. 
Knightshade Dragon
Administrator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #26 on: September 13, 2007, 04:24:09 PM »

I seriously should post a picture of the game shelf I'm filling.  The entire top rack is filled to the point of needing a second shelf with 360 titles.  I have 6 Wii titles.  These sales numbers are marketing nonsense to me...

Ron Burke
EiC, Director of Gaming Trend
Gamertag:
Gaming Trend
PS3 Tag: GamingTrend
CeeKay
Gaming Trend Staff

View Profile
« Reply #27 on: September 13, 2007, 04:45:01 PM »

Quote from: Knightshade Dragon on September 13, 2007, 04:24:09 PM

I seriously should post a picture of the game shelf I'm filling.  The entire top rack is filled to the point of needing a second shelf with 360 titles.  I have 6 Wii titles.  These sales numbers are marketing nonsense to me...

icon_lol  I have maybe 10 console games right now.  I just went through my fall cleaning and traded in most of my older games.

Because I can,
Ridah
Senior Staff Writer

View Profile
« Reply #28 on: September 13, 2007, 04:52:32 PM »

I'm not understanding what you mean by that?

Sean Lama
jblank

View Profile WWW
« Reply #29 on: September 13, 2007, 04:54:04 PM »

Quote from: Ridah on September 13, 2007, 04:52:32 PM

I'm not understanding what you mean by that?

Not to speak for Ron, but I interpret what he said to mean that while he has TONS of 360 games, there is very little that appeals to him on the Wii, so he doesn't have many of their games.

kronovan

View Profile
« Reply #30 on: September 13, 2007, 04:55:23 PM »

Quote from: Kevin Grey on September 13, 2007, 03:31:30 PM

Those Bioshock numbers are shipped not sold, worldwide, and include both PC and 360.  Bioshock's NPDs will be huge but wont be anywhere close to 1.5 million.  *If* Metroid Prime 3 did 400k that would be outstanding for the title but we'll see. 

If MP3 did 400K in N.A. in it's 1st week, I'll be very surprised; actually shocked. I really only expected it to sell somewhere in the range of 200 - 300K for week 1.  Based on the historical sales number for MP1 & 2, Big N would be more than thrilled with 400K in August alone!
I won't be surprised at all if Bioshock [360] sold somewhere in the neighborhood of 500 - 700K for August.
« Last Edit: September 13, 2007, 04:57:27 PM by kronovan » Logged
JCC

View Profile
« Reply #31 on: September 13, 2007, 05:00:45 PM »

The 400k number is from this article.

As I said, *if* that number is legit, then that's far in excess of what I would expect. I have no idea whether the article is accurate or not.

-John

JCC

View Profile
« Reply #32 on: September 13, 2007, 05:03:55 PM »

I don't get the point here either. I own a gamecube and about 30 games. I also own a PS2 without 10 games. My "shelf" wouldn't be at all indicative of the actual sales trends for either consoles. Why should yours?

-John

Kevin Grey
Global Moderator

View Profile
« Reply #33 on: September 13, 2007, 05:05:16 PM »

Quote from: JCC on September 13, 2007, 05:00:45 PM

The 400k number is from this article.

As I said, *if* that number is legit, then that's far in excess of what I would expect. I have no idea whether the article is accurate or not.

That's pretty interesting.  They don't quote the actual source but they mention the "US All Format Chart" and are also able to quote numbers so I guess it's possible that it's from NPD but it would be surprising since, to my knowledge, they don't do weekly numbers. 
Ridah
Senior Staff Writer

View Profile
« Reply #34 on: September 13, 2007, 05:06:39 PM »

Quote from: kronovan on September 13, 2007, 04:55:23 PM

Quote from: Kevin Grey on September 13, 2007, 03:31:30 PM

If MP3 did 400K in N.A. in it's 1st week, I'll be very surprised; actually shocked. I really only expected it to sell somewhere in the range of 200 - 300K for week 1.  Based on the historical sales number for MP1 & 2, Big N would be more than thrilled with 400K in August alone!
I won't be surprised at all if Bioshock [360] sold somewhere in the neighborhood of 500 - 700K for August.

Most sources are reporting those numbers. I'm glad Metroid did well, eventually I plan to own a Wii and I'd like developers to say "hey, non-Cooking Mama/Wii Sports stuff can sell too, lets make some hardcore shit".

Sean Lama
Purge
Gaming Trend Staff

Thirty. Minutes.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #35 on: September 13, 2007, 05:41:59 PM »

I think, for success rates in software sales, you need to look at attach rates.
Nintendo is muddying the water by putting WiiSports in the Console sales, and WiiPlay in Software sales.
For every Wii out there, there is a Wii Sports. 1:1 ratio. That means their market footprint and the attach rate are identical.
You could compare how many 360 power supplies to Wii Sports based on that. It is the single best selling game on the platform, but it's also forced on people (and thusly paying for it). As to WiiPlay, it's more like "buy a controller, get a bunch of 2player minigames for 15bux" mail-in-rebate (cashed in-store).

I would never buy WiiPlay for the game, yet it tops the charts because it's a good deal and it appeals to non-gaming markets. Comparing the Wii to the 360 / PS3 at this point is like comparing luxury cars to economy class. The only way a luxury car is going to beat out the economy class for market penetration is to price it competitively. The second barb to Wii's hook is the "accessibility" of their controller, even though I actually find it more cumbersome than the 360 controller when you have to do more than press A, B, C and Z. Using +.-,1 and 2 are just annoying.

I doubt that many titles in the Nintendo Wii games come close to the attach rates on the 360. They just can't. Nintendo has yet to end it's legacy of poor 3rd party contribution or well-timed releases of 1st and 2nd party games.

That being said, they're making money on Console sales itself, so to them the attach rates are less important.
« Last Edit: September 13, 2007, 05:47:39 PM by Purge » Logged

"If it weren't for Philo T. Farnsworth, inventor of television, we'd still be eating frozen radio dinners." - Johnny Carson
Kevin Grey
Global Moderator

View Profile
« Reply #36 on: September 13, 2007, 05:54:52 PM »

Quote from: Purge on September 13, 2007, 05:41:59 PM

Nintendo has yet to end it's legacy of poor 3rd party contribution or well-timed releases of 1st and 2nd party games.

I disagree with that.  They had Zelda at launch, Warioware in January (big seller), Super Paper Mario in April (another good seller), Mario Party 8 in May (HUGE seller), Mario Strikers in July (did decent in America where Soccer ain't exactly a huge sport), Metroid in August, and are ending the year with the one-two punch of Super Mario Galaxy and Smash Brothers.  Plus Fire Emblem to make us hardcore SRPG'ers happy. 

I realize that a good portion of this board and many other hardcore gamers don't care about a lot of those titles but they have all been very successful as first party contributions.  Compare that to MS- three titles at launch (Kameo, PDZ, PGR4) and then a big stumble with Ninety Nine Nights with Gears finally coming to the rescue followed by the well reviewed but poor selling Viva Pinata.  Sony isn't much different either.  I would say that Nintendo has easily had the most consistent and successful first year from a first party standpoint.

Third party muddles things.  Not a lot there but we also know that most pubs have admitted that they were ignoring Wii development because they didn't expect the console to sell well.  Still there have been some notable successes- Red Steel, Rayman Raving Rabbids, Trauma Center, Cooking Mama, and RE4 have all exceeded publisher's expectations. 

So my question is what high profile third party stumbles have there been- ie third party games that had a decent amount of resources thrown at them and were expected to do quite well but didn't?  I'm thinking maybe the EA Medal of Honor game and maybe SSX Blur but beyond that I'm not seeing notable failures.  I don't think anyone is surprised that half-assed and late ports of Far Cry, Prince of Persia, and Splinter Cell failed. 

It's one thing to say there are a lack of third party games (I agree with that).  But you can't really say "there aren't any third party games and they aren't selling!" 
wonderpug

hmm...

View Profile
« Reply #37 on: September 13, 2007, 06:16:54 PM »

I think, for success rates in software sales, you need to look at attach rates.
Nintendo is muddying the water by putting WiiSports in the Console sales, and WiiPlay in Software sales.
For every Wii out there, there is a Wii Sports. 1:1 ratio. That means their market footprint and the attach rate are identical.

If we're looking at global numbers, it stops being a 1:1 ratio for Wii Sports; it's not included with Japan's Wiis.
kronovan

View Profile
« Reply #38 on: September 13, 2007, 06:51:37 PM »

Quote from: Kevin Grey on September 13, 2007, 05:54:52 PM

Nintendo has yet to end it's legacy of poor 3rd party contribution or well-timed releases of 1st and 2nd party games.

I disagree with that.  They had Zelda at launch, Warioware in January (big seller), Super Paper Mario in April (another good seller), Mario Party 8 in May (HUGE seller), Mario Strikers in July (did decent in America where Soccer ain't exactly a huge sport), Metroid in August, and are ending the year with the one-two punch of Super Mario Galaxy and Smash Brothers.  Plus Fire Emblem to make us hardcore SRPG'ers happy. 

The really great thing about those titles is that all of them, with the exception of MP8, are outstanding quality games. I'd normally be cautious about proclaiming unreleased games like SSBB, Fire Emblem and SMG as outstanding, but from what they've delivered so far I'm feeling fairly confident. Overall a great 1st year for 1st party titles. The interesting thing to note is that Nintendo decided to front load all of the quarters in their 1st year which is the opposite of what they did with the GameCube. And based upon the limited AAA 3rd party titles we've seen so far, it was a wise decision.

I do agree with Purge that 3rd party support is still lacking. There have been some 3rd party successes, but still too few for my likes. 2008 is however looking better. And if the sales rate of the Wii continues, the 3rd parties will keep their better staff on those games instead of diverting them like they often did in the previous 2 console gens.
Kevin Grey
Global Moderator

View Profile
« Reply #39 on: September 13, 2007, 07:01:59 PM »

Quote from: kronovan on September 13, 2007, 06:51:37 PM

The interesting thing to note is that Nintendo decided to front load all of the quarters in their 1st year which is the opposite of what they did with the GameCube. And based upon the limited AAA 3rd party titles we've seen so far, it was a wise decision.

Yeah but it certainly makes 2008 an interesting year.  They've announced Mario Kart for early in the year but beyond that what's left?  Wii Fit will come out over here in '08 and I expect Wii Sports 2 to be their big Christmas title but it seems like they've already moved through quite a few of their key franchises.  I think there is an outside chance that we might see another Zelda for holidays '08 (there were rumors that the next game was started well before TP came out).  I think Nintendo did an excellent job of carrying the first year themselves (and really they had no choice) but they probably need to hope that the promised 3rd party support really kicks in next year. 
Pages: [1] 2   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: