http://gamingtrend.com
December 21, 2014, 03:28:26 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Wii Friend Codes To Be Title Specific  (Read 1809 times)
Hetz
Gaming Trend Senior Member

View Profile
« on: March 14, 2007, 10:32:14 PM »

http://www.1up.com/do/newsStory?cId=3158027

This sums it up nicely.

In other words, you need to register every one of your buddies with a new set of random numbers every time you purchase a new game with online connectivity, according to a GameSpy interview with Wii: Definitive Speculation.

Falafelkid: I would like to know if I am right in assuming that the features mentioned (friend rosters, advanced matchmaking capabilities and comprehensive rankings data) suggest a single, unified online platform for each console, rather than one which is dependent on individual games (as is the case with the DS).

GameSpy: GameSpy’s technology does allow for features that could span multiple games. With the Nintendo Wii, however, the multiplayer features are title-specific.

Falafelkid: But is that the case for all Wii online titles across the board?

GameSpy: Yes, that is the case for Wii titles.

Falafelkid: Just one last question to make absolutely sure I have got this right, please. If I have a friend roster in one game, that roster will not be available to me in any other game. I have to build up an entirely new list for each title, right?

GameSpy: The answer to your question is yes, for the Wii friend lists are game specific.

Looks like the Wii Network will be suffering the same fate as the DS Network.  icon_frown
« Last Edit: March 14, 2007, 10:34:50 PM by Hetz » Logged

XBox Live: Hetz OO
PSN: Hetz76
Steam: hetz_gg
Farscry

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: March 14, 2007, 10:38:46 PM »

Good grief, I thought Nintendo said they wouldn't do this to us.

STUPID. icon_evil

Purge - You have unlocked an Achievement!
You are now of the rank reprobate
CrayolaSmoker

Sponge Bath Slut

View Profile WWW
« Reply #2 on: March 14, 2007, 10:50:34 PM »

Color me disappointed.  icon_cry

Wii: 1429 3414 0674 4114 | 360: CrayolaSmokerGT
smokingcrayolas.net | surrogacy blog
depward

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 14, 2007, 11:10:07 PM »

Poop.

depward on the Playstation Network
raaaaaawwwwwwr on Xbox Live
the Nightbreeze
Gaming Trend Reader

Done posting.

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 14, 2007, 11:18:18 PM »

I'll disclose I've read nothing about the Wii other than Titles as they release them. Totally under a rock when it comes to Wii.

Is there more than one network multi-player enabled game at present? Are there games presently requiring separate codes?  Is this just a function of how GameSpy's networks going forward will have to implement rosters because Gamespy cannot engineer a way around Wii archetechture to allow rosters to be easily transferable by a GUI?  Did Nintendo know this supposed limitation before reaching agreements with Gamespy?  Would Nintendo be able to take Gamespy to school on how to get it done easier and show them how it's done?

Can I possibly ask more questions in one breath?

Done posting
Calvin

President of G.R.O.S.S.

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 14, 2007, 11:19:17 PM »

Quote from: Farscry on March 14, 2007, 10:38:46 PM

Good grief, I thought Nintendo said they wouldn't do this to us.

STUPID. icon_evil

I am not sure stupid begins to cover how poor a decision this is.
rrmorton

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 14, 2007, 11:36:41 PM »

I had no expectations whatsoever that the Wii multiplayer features would be in any way good, so I can't say I'm surprised or annoyed by this latest info.
The Grue

You are likely to be eaten by a grue.

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: March 15, 2007, 12:09:32 AM »

Even I, a big Nintendo fanboy, think this is dumb.  They had a chance to rectify their DS mistake and they failed.

XBox Live ID: The Grue
Playstation Network Name: TheGrue
kronovan

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: March 15, 2007, 12:26:33 AM »

Quote from: the Nightbreeze on March 14, 2007, 11:18:18 PM

I'll disclose I've read nothing about the Wii other than Titles as they release them. Totally under a rock when it comes to Wii.

Is there more than one network multi-player enabled game at present? Are there games presently requiring separate codes?  Is this just a function of how GameSpy's networks going forward will have to implement rosters because Gamespy cannot engineer a way around Wii archetechture to allow rosters to be easily transferable by a GUI?  Did Nintendo know this supposed limitation before reaching agreements with Gamespy?  Would Nintendo be able to take Gamespy to school on how to get it done easier and show them how it's done?

Can I possibly ask more questions in one breath?

Whoah! How does your jaw feel after all that  icon_lol

It will be interesting to find out who's at the heart of this idiocy; GameSpy or Nintendo. Regardless, this really sucks and isn't the approach I was hoping Nintendo would take.
On the other hand I can't say I'm totally surprised as Nintendo has consistently downplayed the importance of online multiplay for years.
JCC

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: March 15, 2007, 12:31:46 AM »

Wow, that flies in the face of that press release, or at least how any rational person would interpret said release. Very disappointing. BOO NINTENDO!

-John

XBox Live ID: "JCC Davros"
Tebunker

Ask How, Ask Now, Ask me

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: March 15, 2007, 02:02:43 AM »

this is why I play online games on my 360, if I even do that. I wish I could get into them as much as a lot of you do.

"I hate cynicism -- it's my least favorite quality and it doesn't lead anywhere. Nobody in life gets exactly what they thought they were going to get. But if you work really hard and you're kind amazing things will happen." - Conan O'Brien
whiteboyskim
Senior Staff Writer

Hard partier

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: March 15, 2007, 02:33:10 AM »

I'm not into multiplayer gaming on a console and even I think this is fucking retarded. thumbsdown

Behold the glory of my new blog!
Filmmaking is vision plus faith plus balls, all 3 of which Hollywood knows little about.
denoginizer

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: March 15, 2007, 02:41:36 AM »

I think the Wii is and will continue be the king of same-room multiplayer.  But for single player and online play it will always lag far behind the other 2 consoles.  At least in my opinion.
« Last Edit: March 15, 2007, 02:45:27 AM by denoginizer » Logged

Xbox Live Tag: denoginizer
PSN Name: denoginizer
warning

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: March 15, 2007, 03:09:32 AM »

Quote from: whiteboyskim on March 15, 2007, 02:33:10 AM

I'm not into multiplayer gaming on a console and even I think this is fucking retarded. thumbsdown

Yup.  Bad move.
Destructor
Special Project Group

▲▲▼▼◄►◄►B A Start

View Profile WWW
« Reply #14 on: March 15, 2007, 05:54:55 AM »

And how has Elebits (which is semi-online based as of right now) done it? They sure didn't swap another 16 letter code around.

"All opinions posted are my own, and not those of my employers, who are appalled."
CeeKay
Gaming Trend Staff

La-bibbida-bibba-dum! La-bibbida-bibba-do!

View Profile
« Reply #15 on: March 15, 2007, 05:56:21 AM »

Quote from: warning on March 15, 2007, 03:09:32 AM

Quote from: whiteboyskim on March 15, 2007, 02:33:10 AM

Yup.  Bad move.

I concur.

Because I can,
also because I don't care what you want.
XBL: OriginalCeeKay
Wii U: CeeKay
Tebunker

Ask How, Ask Now, Ask me

View Profile
« Reply #16 on: March 15, 2007, 12:15:47 PM »

Even though I agree that this would be a stupid decision it needs to be put into the RUMOR bin:

http://kotaku.com/gaming/wii/rumour-wii-friend-codes-unique-to-each-game-244356.php

Before you go reaching for a noose, though, keep in mind this isn't CONFIRMED, by either GameSpy or Nintendo: this contact is supposedly just a GameSpy PR rep, not someone from the organisation itself. So yeah, it's possible, but until that official message comes, there is always hope.

So, while it is likely true, nothing is actually confirmed, as even 1up sourced a BLOG for the story.

"I hate cynicism -- it's my least favorite quality and it doesn't lead anywhere. Nobody in life gets exactly what they thought they were going to get. But if you work really hard and you're kind amazing things will happen." - Conan O'Brien
Devil

View Profile
« Reply #17 on: March 15, 2007, 12:24:04 PM »

They actually are going to make things worse.

I didn't think they could pull it off!

XBox Gamertag: Devil13Devil
Wii Number: 0305 6568 6417 2609
PS3 Thing: Slived
Hetz

View Profile
« Reply #18 on: March 15, 2007, 02:36:49 PM »

Quote from: Tebunker on March 15, 2007, 12:15:47 PM

Even though I agree that this would be a stupid decision it needs to be put into the RUMOR bin:

http://kotaku.com/gaming/wii/rumour-wii-friend-codes-unique-to-each-game-244356.php

Before you go reaching for a noose, though, keep in mind this isn't CONFIRMED, by either GameSpy or Nintendo: this contact is supposedly just a GameSpy PR rep, not someone from the organisation itself. So yeah, it's possible, but until that official message comes, there is always hope.

So, while it is likely true, nothing is actually confirmed, as even 1up sourced a BLOG for the story.

Update on that same page:

Eds Note: Tom at Eurogamer let us know that he just spoke to Nintendo UK, and this is true.

It's not a rumor, it's true and about what I expected from Nintendo. frown

XBox Live: Hetz OO
PSN: Hetz76
Steam: hetz_gg
Jancelot

View Profile
« Reply #19 on: March 15, 2007, 02:44:00 PM »

retard

Good grief.  I guess they exhausted their creativity resevoir on the controller.  Hell, it's not even creative to have one freakin' name for indentification across all games as XBox did it last gen (never played PS2 online so I'm not familiar with that setup).  I have yet to sit down and input the huge list of Wii codes on this site.  Now it seems like it won't even matter as I'll just have to input more of them to play each game.

retard

I'll just stick to Live for my online gaming, m'kay.
EngineNo9

I said good day, sir!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #20 on: March 15, 2007, 02:50:01 PM »

No kidding, the only reason I went to the trouble to input all of those damn numbers by hand was because I figured I would never have to do it again, so I might as well do them all right away.  So much for that plan. 

Sandwiches do fix everything.
IkeVandergraaf

RRoD FTL! F MS!

View Profile
« Reply #21 on: March 15, 2007, 02:55:56 PM »

Using gamespy was the first strike.

Gamertag = IkeV
I KNOW DEEP IN MY NMIND THAT THIS DISGUSTING WEBSITE THAT IS OBIVOUSLY OPERATED BY HIGHSCHOOL DROPOUTS LIVING PURPOSELESS AND JOBLESS LIVES
Bullwinkle
Gaming Trend Staff

Watch me pull a rabbit outta my hat.

View Profile
« Reply #22 on: March 15, 2007, 03:00:59 PM »

I seriously don't understand this at all.  Nintendo has said they were using a wait and see approach to find out what worked, what people responded well to, infrastructure-wise.  They've seen that.  And they chose to go in a totally other direction and ignore all beneficial functionality.  I know the Xbox and 360 haven't been the biggest hits in the home base of Big N, but that doesn't mean you should ignore the things that have worked.  Or are the Japanese somehow really against Xbox Live and like the idea of jumping through hoops to play games online?

That's like blaming owls because I suck at making analogies.
denoginizer

View Profile
« Reply #23 on: March 15, 2007, 03:17:24 PM »

Quote from: Bullwinkle on March 15, 2007, 03:00:59 PM

I seriously don't understand this at all.  Nintendo has said they were using a wait and see approach to find out what worked, what people responded well to, infrastructure-wise.  They've seen that.  And they chose to go in a totally other direction and ignore all beneficial functionality.  I know the Xbox and 360 haven't been the biggest hits in the home base of Big N, but that doesn't mean you should ignore the things that have worked.  Or are the Japanese somehow really against Xbox Live and like the idea of jumping through hoops to play games online?

Nintendo knows what they are doing.  Clearly they are more concerned with protecting children from being exposed to the wrong elements while playing games online than making the experience intuative and robust for adults.

Xbox Live Tag: denoginizer
PSN Name: denoginizer
fyedaddy

Ass

View Profile
« Reply #24 on: March 15, 2007, 03:49:59 PM »

I echo the comments already posted in this thread and I cannot elaborate enough upon just how disappointed I am with Nintendo's decisions. I never expected to say this (though I didn't expect Big N to make some of the Wii choices they have) but their online decisions have me seriously reconsidering my intention to purchase a Wii. I've gone from a launch day purchase, to Spring/Summer '07, to this Christmas (family gift), to (now) probably a 2008 pickup to catch up on the Mario/first party titles. What a let down.

Quote from: denoginizer on March 15, 2007, 03:17:24 PM

Nintendo knows what they are doing.  Clearly they are more concerned with protecting children from being exposed to the wrong elements while playing games online than making the experience intuative and robust for adults.

That is a valid point and one in which I can fully support, but I cannot help but think they couldn't have come up with a better method. I understand it more with the DS (given the portable nature i.e. children away from parent's watchful eyes) but I would have expected a much different range of options for a home console.

XBox Live ID: fyedaddy

"I give up - Go with the DS. It's far better."
"Nintendo is King, and anyone who says otherwise is wrong."
 --Devil
kronovan

View Profile
« Reply #25 on: March 15, 2007, 04:17:12 PM »

That's what I suspected was their motivation, but I couldn't find any links to back it up. I do seem to recall an article or interview some time ago reporting on Nintendo's sentiments in this regard.

Being a parent that owns a Wii I really don't feel this is necessary. But I also wouldn't hook up a Wii to the Internet in one of  my kid's room and then never play it myself.  And unfortunately I know a number of parents that would do just that.

The only positive spin I can put on any of this is that the service is being provided by a 3rd party. Therefore it should be easier for Nintendo to move to some other online system if they later choose to.
Jancelot

View Profile
« Reply #26 on: March 15, 2007, 04:34:46 PM »

Why not just have an protected area where adults can define which games their kids can play, features they can access (browser, etc.) and strict control over the friends list.  Something like this would require multiple local password protected permission profiles that feed in to one online profile.  It's not that hard, really.  I did a similar setup (albeit much more intricate) for users of our medical patient record software where security is of the upmost importance.  It took all of a couple weeks.  After a night of playing the Wii with a big groups of friends I think they certainly nailed the controller.  But they have utterly failed in their online functionality.  Oh well, if they don't care about it then so be it, but it is still baffling.
deadzone

View Profile
« Reply #27 on: March 15, 2007, 05:38:01 PM »

As someone who personally doesn't care either way about On-Line MP, I have to say, their decision seems to be ignorant or based on ignorance of some sort.  On-Line MP is overall a very popular thing with console gamers, from what I can tell.  I would bet some of the biggest OLMP gaming aspects that are important to console gamers would be ease of use followed by reliability.  Nintendo seems to be failing to address either one, and it's a pretty sad thing because it looks like they could open up an even broader audience if they would implement some good, solid, ONMP offering with the Wii.

The Wii-Code thing that they have implemented just to share Mii's and stuff is pretty sucky IMHO.  I mean, seriously?  A sixteen digit code for each person you want to add?!  Ridiculous to me, and it's actually kept me from taking the time to enter codes in because it's a pretty long process to add several people. 

Maybe they will reverse course or something and make some good decisions regarding their On-Line MP offerings?  I dunno.  I honestly get a lot of mileage from my Wii in single player mode and in multi-player mode with friends or family myself, so I can't see that an On-Line MP aspect would be very appealing to me personally.  I personally find that the Wii/Gamecube/VC game choices available to me make the Wii very fun and very open to several great gaming opportunities from both a Single Player and Multi-Player aspect. 

YMMV of course.  smile  As always, apologies if this makes no sense.  Just face it, I am really good at doing that!   
Farscry

View Profile
« Reply #28 on: March 15, 2007, 05:49:20 PM »

The thing is, using the same limitations on the Wii Code as they're using on individual Game Codes (both people having to input each other's friend codes to have them available to each other) would work just as effectively to achieve this goal. I honestly don't understand why they're taking this route now.

Purge - You have unlocked an Achievement!
You are now of the rank reprobate
Kevin Grey
Global Moderator

View Profile
« Reply #29 on: March 15, 2007, 05:57:38 PM »

The problem with unifying the friends list with the Wii code, as I understand it, is that you can never create different codes (ie accounts).  So a parent can't have their own account separate from their child and, if you buy your Wii used, you would be buying someone else's friend list in the process without knowing who these people are. 

I think all of Jancelot's suggestions make sense but I'm not sure how they would work keeping the fundamental framework of a unique Wii Code for each console.  It seems like different codes for each game was pretty much inevitable once Nintendo decided to stick with friend codes at all. 
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: