http://gamingtrend.com
November 01, 2014, 05:32:31 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: [1] 2 3   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Wii Fit - I am so weak  (Read 7617 times)
Tals
Gaming Trend Senior Member

View Profile
« on: April 26, 2008, 01:45:56 PM »

Not planned to get this, but the daughter had been pestering me so it was on my mind - however safe in the knowledge it was sold out at all the stockiest I went for a peruse at the local game store. OMG wtf it was sitting there waiting for me frown

Anyway purchased it despite what I believe to be a rather hefty price tag. All in all this looks like a big winner - all of the family are into it, wife is non to impressed as it aged her (unfairly I hasten to add), i'm spot on, the son has gone up 2 years and my super fit daughter - but obviously unbalanced daughter it added 15 years to lol.

Unit is nice and solid, very heavy which is indicative that its a glorified scales, games and activities appear to be well thought out. Particularly like ski salom and jump - where I blew my son away smile

So recommended, but if they try and sell the rechargable option don't go for it, its a large unit that you'll want to tuck away and not have the extra baggage of leads and cables - which there are non without that.

Tals

Currently Playing: Psyconauts, lol, wee raptr: Tals Steam: Talsworthy
EngineNo9

I said good day, sir!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1 on: April 26, 2008, 04:58:55 PM »

So, do you live in Japan or something?  The US version won't be out until next month. 

Sandwiches do fix everything.
CeeKay
Gaming Trend Staff

La-bibbida-bibba-dum! La-bibbida-bibba-do!

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 26, 2008, 05:06:36 PM »

i'm pretty sure he's international.  you know, worldwide.

like U2K.  only not.

Because I can,
also because I don't care what you want.
XBL: OriginalCeeKay
Wii U: CeeKay
Lee

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 26, 2008, 05:07:32 PM »

Quote from: EngineNo9 on April 26, 2008, 04:58:55 PM

So, do you live in Japan or something?  The US version won't be out until next month. 

It's out in Europe as of yesterday.

Thanks for the impressions Tals, would love to hear more after you put some more time in. Really looking forward to this myself, I am hoping it motivates me to do more than I am currently doing.

So is skiing as fun as it looks? Is it tiring trying to sift your weight all the time or something?

What kind of surface do you have the board on. I haven't heard much on how it works on carpet.
Tals

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 26, 2008, 05:41:47 PM »

Yep based in the UK.

OK impressions so far, the ski jump is awesome, basically position your body so you're in the sweet spot - basically slightly forward and then stretch as you hit the end. The sweet spot is shown the whole time and as you go into it, it lights up and you speed up. Daughter just slaughtered my distance so a couple of jumps later i'm back to leader of the pack smile

Ski slalom also works well, moving your body appropriately moves you around the course, very much harder than it looks but quite fun. Again moving your body forward into a race positon speeds you up.

The body position works very well - where it is important it has an indicator where you are and where you need to go. I've put in 1/2 hour this afternoon, my daughter put in 1/2 hour (bearing in mind that she was only in the house 1/2 hour!) and my son put in an hour.

So far i'm very impressed, you could treat it as a posh scales that will keep track of your weight over time against target - certainly that works for me. I quite like how it works on your body position so you become far more aware of where your centre of gravity is - its been a slight issue with my daughter (she dives, so its quite important) so this may actually help her. All in all very happy with the purchase but it is very expensive but one of the accessories like the GH3 that will keep coming out as its such a novelty.

Whether it actually can work on fitness is debatable but the press ups had me sweating (6 OMG what am I like) so I guess it will help me to be a bit fitter smile

Tals

EngineNo9

I said good day, sir!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #5 on: April 26, 2008, 07:14:52 PM »

I'd like to hear some impressions of the snowboarding part, if you don't mind. 

I'm looking forward to playing the Wii Fit minigames, but I can't wait until there is a full-on snowboarding game for the balance board! 

Tals

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: April 26, 2008, 08:02:16 PM »

Quote from: EngineNo9 on April 26, 2008, 07:14:52 PM

I'd like to hear some impressions of the snowboarding part, if you don't mind. 

I'm looking forward to playing the Wii Fit minigames, but I can't wait until there is a full-on snowboarding game for the balance board! 

Not yet got to that - I guess its an unlockable. I'll post when I get to it.

Tals

CeeKay
Gaming Trend Staff

La-bibbida-bibba-dum! La-bibbida-bibba-do!

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: April 26, 2008, 08:27:51 PM »

you know, I wasn't even paying much attention to Wii Fit, but now I wii-lly think I may get it.

Because I can,
also because I don't care what you want.
XBL: OriginalCeeKay
Wii U: CeeKay
Azhag

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: April 26, 2008, 09:17:41 PM »

I'm sure it'll be fun to a degree... but it's yet another mini-game game for the wii. Those are like live arcade games to me... I can enjoy them, but they often get old fast.
Lee

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: April 26, 2008, 09:49:35 PM »

Quote from: Azhag on April 26, 2008, 09:17:41 PM

I'm sure it'll be fun to a degree... but it's yet another mini-game game for the wii. Those are like live arcade games to me... I can enjoy them, but they often get old fast.

I think you might be missing the point. smile
Canuck

I live in Japan

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: April 26, 2008, 11:10:06 PM »

I thought I would  pipe in since I've also played the Wii Fit. For me each game was interesting for about 8 minutes (about 8 play throughs) each and then I got tired of them.  I think the game I liked the most was the one where you had to use your head to hit the soccer balls and avoid the shoes and the pandas.  That game was a lot of fun. I didn't like the skiing or snowboarding game so much.  I'm a pretty good real life snowboarder but I absolutely suck at it on the Wii Fit.  I got bored of that one after about 2 runs.  If I had bought it then I would very disappointed.  It's even more of a gimmick than Wii sports.  At least there you can play together with other people.  I would suggest that this game is definitely NOT for the hardcore group that we have on this forum although I'm sure that many of your wives and children will want to pick it up ( I can see your children getting bored of it rather quickly though).
msduncan

Roll Tide!!!!

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: April 27, 2008, 02:07:59 AM »

(sigh)

Yet another Wii game that I will switch my preorder away from.     

Why don't they give us Animal Crossing or something that isn't a gimmick???   I'm beginning to think this entire console is a gimmick.
pr0ner

Go Flames go!

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: April 27, 2008, 02:30:38 AM »

Quote from: msduncan on April 27, 2008, 02:07:59 AM

(sigh)

Why don't they give us Animal Crossing or something that isn't a gimmick???   I'm beginning to think this entire console is a gimmick.

What exactly have you played on it to make you think it's only a gimmick?

XBox Live Gamertag: Pr0ner
The Grue

You are likely to be eaten by a grue.

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: April 27, 2008, 03:06:48 AM »

(sigh)

Is this post a gimmick?

XBox Live ID: The Grue
Playstation Network Name: TheGrue
jersoc

View Profile
« Reply #14 on: April 27, 2008, 03:07:35 AM »

i find the thread title ironically hilarious.
Tals

View Profile
« Reply #15 on: April 27, 2008, 07:12:52 AM »

Partly the intention - re the title, although the weakness was my inability to avoid the purchase - I was aware of the double meaning smile

Commenting on the party game aspect, course its a party game a lot of the wii games are - it is most definitely not for a 'hardcore' gamer  - although i'd debate that is what this group is about - I didn't see 'hardcore console gamers' in the title smile.

Anyone who has a wii and is a hard core gamer is either mad or has a family smile

In terms of getting bored fast, need to go there some before I find out but I don't think so - there are genuine keep fit exercises in the package as well as games, so for the wife and I we may just do this to ensure we get x amount of exercise a day, she is always monitoring her weight - what woman isn't and its got a very nice graphic monitor on that. It is also great for posture and body position - even my son (eight) made the comment totally independently that this would help him on his diving - yep he is a diver too smile I totally agree - lots of various exercises which will improve posture and help understand it.

The skiing I couldn't disagree most - for me so far they are really good games. Although I suspect why you may suck at them as they are not ultimately about actually skiing - what computer game is but more about the ability to lightly and I mean lightly shift your balance from side to side. Or in the case of the ski jump - to hold a position exactly for about 5 seconds and then move to another.

Wifes favourite game is the hula hoop as she can currenly pwn the daughter - but again on a side note, put actual hoola hoops on them and my daughter would be hoola hooping all day - whereas the wife wouldn't. If you think its going to teach you how todo some of these activities in real life then you'll be sadly mistaken. But that particular one is a great exercise in hip movement.

So in a nutshell - its another great wii game for the family, it most definitely fits in the category of party games but ones that the whole family will get involved in. If you don't have a family and fit into the category of 'hardcore' gamer then don't get it and i'd question whether you should have a wii smile

Tals
« Last Edit: April 27, 2008, 07:24:49 AM by Tals » Logged

Tals

View Profile
« Reply #16 on: April 27, 2008, 07:15:22 AM »

Quote from: Canuck on April 26, 2008, 11:10:06 PM

I thought I would  pipe in since I've also played the Wii Fit. For me each game was interesting for about 8 minutes (about 8 play throughs) each and then I got tired of them.  I think the game I liked the most was the one where you had to use your head to hit the soccer balls and avoid the shoes and the pandas.  That game was a lot of fun. I didn't like the skiing or snowboarding game so much.  I'm a pretty good real life snowboarder but I absolutely suck at it on the Wii Fit.  I got bored of that one after about 2 runs.  If I had bought it then I would very disappointed.  It's even more of a gimmick than Wii sports.  At least there you can play together with other people.  I would suggest that this game is definitely NOT for the hardcore group that we have on this forum although I'm sure that many of your wives and children will want to pick it up ( I can see your children getting bored of it rather quickly though).

I apologize if you have children, but unfortunately that final comment shows no understanding of children smile

Canuck

I live in Japan

View Profile
« Reply #17 on: April 27, 2008, 08:08:58 AM »

I don't have children but I was one once and I know that my idea of fun was not leaning slightly to one side and then leaning slightly back in the other direction for about a minute at a time and then rinse and repeat.  Am I so out of touch? smile

And you're absolutely right about the exercise.  That's exactly what this "game" is made for-another gimmick for middle aged women who are trying to keep slim.  Whether it even works as that I have my doubts.  I realize that this thread was not titled "Wii games for hardcore console players" but we are on a gaming forum which means that's what 99% of the population is smile
I give anyone who buys this about two days, perhaps 3 days max before they say, "meh, next!"
Canuck

I live in Japan

View Profile
« Reply #18 on: April 27, 2008, 08:13:05 AM »

Oh and I've got nothing against the Wii or party games by the way.  I don't have a Wii but I played Wii sports on one and I had a total blast-I loved it.  The Wii Fit doesn't seem like much of a party game to me though-unless of course you can have four of them connected to the console and have snowboarding races together but then who is going to buy four Wii Fits?  Basically you can take turns to see who can get the higher score-not much of a party if you ask me.  I've got absolutely no interest in watching people lean back and forth.
Tals

View Profile
« Reply #19 on: April 27, 2008, 08:34:58 AM »

Unfortunately because you have been a child doesn't give an understanding of children - I wish it did, would make life much easier in some respects but I digress to issues I have with others in my own life in this respect smile

If the family is still not playing this in a month and can I stress it will most likely be the children giving it more time than us then i'd eat my hat, lots of fun but you do need to have a wii before you can think about getting one slywink Wii Spots is quite similar - personally from my own experience thus far Wii Fit is far more fun than wii sports. And yes it is quite fun using your balance to control the game - IMHO of course smile

I'll post in a few weeks if we've stopped playing it or still playing it.

Tals

Lee

View Profile
« Reply #20 on: April 27, 2008, 03:41:49 PM »

Quote from: Canuck on April 27, 2008, 08:08:58 AM

I give anyone who buys this about two days, perhaps 3 days max before they say, "meh, next!"

I am not buying it for its game play value, and I am kind of surprised at the people in this thread talking about it being a game. It's an exercise program and I expect doing push-ups and running in place to be just as exciting as doing it at the gym. Sure there might be games in it that are fun, but that's just an added bonus.
Tals

View Profile
« Reply #21 on: April 27, 2008, 04:23:57 PM »

Not so sure - the games are fun, love the ski jump one and the hula hoop one is also good. Both of those do provide exercise as well. Steps one is also well done.

The yoga ones are well done giving good balance etc.

Still to unlock a whole load of ones, wife and I are planning to 'play' at least 1/2 an hour a day to at least attempt some fitness. If there is an aspect they have missed (wife pointed it out) they don't have any set program you just pick and choose.

Tals

Larraque

View Profile
« Reply #22 on: April 27, 2008, 06:53:39 PM »

Quote from: pr0ner on April 27, 2008, 02:30:38 AM

(sigh)

What exactly have you played on it to make you think it's only a gimmick?

In the early days of the system launch, I believed it was looking like it would be a gimmick machine. Sports games seem to be a natural fit for it but most other game genres all felt straddled with it. However, it also looked like in the early days of the Nintendo DS launch it was going to be a gimmick too. There still are games on the DS now (about 3 years since its first release?) that straddle annoying features in (like anything using the microphone) just because they feel that they need to utilize the hardware.

I've been pretty pleased though overall with the wii. I think the control style is fun, and I think that this is the kind of stuff you'd still pull out ten to fifteen years later, if only to play the bowling game. The unfortunate point where I think this is coming from is the quick shoddy ports that developers still do with a lot of games. I would think a fishing game would be a lot of fun, but the release of the rapala game was so fundamentally flawed, it felt broken. The first person shooters like Red Ninja (or whatever it was) even if they got the controls right - would still look like a last generation game. IE: Not good. And a lot of these games have amazing eye candy so that feels like a step backwards.
rittchard

View Profile
« Reply #23 on: April 28, 2008, 01:01:48 AM »

I pre-ordered this off Amazon, I don't have high hopes but I'm definitely curious to see how things go with those of you who have it.  At this point, I'm willing to try anything to get my lazy ass to do even a little bit of extra exercise every day (15-30 minutes at least).  Presently I play volleyball once a week and that's about it.  I'm hoping this may be a nice mid-week supplement.
Jocke
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #24 on: April 28, 2008, 02:24:39 PM »

I got it saturday. I am muscle sore like hell I have have to admit and I mostly did yoga! Never done yoga before so that probably explains it. The tree form was a bitch.

This is my asci representation of the treeform.

o
--|--
   |>
   |

Kidding aside I mostly like it. The minigames are HARD! Took me a while to do some of them right though. For example in the soccer minigame I leaned mostly only my upper body at first and thought the game was slow as molasses in moving it's head. But I got the tip of the game that I should just change my lower body's weight on the board around and then it went alot better. Still hard though.

Wii Fit focuses alot on posture and with the board they have alot of information on that. So for example when you are doing a yoga stance you also get information about much you sway and such. It really helps you since you see how much you sway on screen.

All in all it's gonna take a while to evaluate this "game". Gonna keep at it and see how I like it after a week or so.
Bullwinkle
Gaming Trend Staff

Watch me pull a rabbit outta my hat.

View Profile
« Reply #25 on: April 28, 2008, 11:24:19 PM »

Quote from: Jocke on April 28, 2008, 02:24:39 PM

I got it saturday. I am muscle sore like hell I have have to admit and I mostly did yoga! Never done yoga before so that probably explains it. The tree form was a bitch.

This is my asci representation of the treeform.

o
--|--
   |>
   |

Kidding aside I mostly like it. The minigames are HARD! Took me a while to do some of them right though. For example in the soccer minigame I leaned mostly only my upper body at first and thought the game was slow as molasses in moving it's head. But I got the tip of the game that I should just change my lower body's weight on the board around and then it went alot better. Still hard though.

Wii Fit focuses alot on posture and with the board they have alot of information on that. So for example when you are doing a yoga stance you also get information about much you sway and such. It really helps you since you see how much you sway on screen.

All in all it's gonna take a while to evaluate this "game". Gonna keep at it and see how I like it after a week or so.

That's more like my ASCI of seeing the ladies do yoga.  Mee-yow!  Innapropriate-high-five!

That's like blaming owls because I suck at making analogies.
Tals

View Profile
« Reply #26 on: May 01, 2008, 10:52:38 PM »

And you're absolutely right about the exercise.  That's exactly what this "game" is made for-another gimmick for middle aged women who are trying to keep slim.  Whether it even works as that I have my doubts.  I realize that this thread was not titled "Wii games for hardcore console players" but we are on a gaming forum which means that's what 99% of the population is smile

OK well we're on day 6 - children still love it. Both of them like the exercise concept. Daughter was inputting her own exercise into the stats. Son of 8 quite likes the yoga stuff smile

Adult side isn't playing it so much, but more because when we would be on it the children are on it frown My favourite is still Ski Jump by a long way - heard my daughter jumping around not so long ago after finally beating my furtherest jump...need to sort that one out smile

The step exercise is nicely done - although they could have put a bit more variation in it. Hoola Hoop my wife owns all that come along.

The children seem to like the running exercises - no step required for that one, just place the controller in your pocket and away you go.

Anyway still a hit and i'm sure it will remain so. Not seen the snowboard much yet, basically you move the device so its facing towards the monitor and then control, need to have a go to see whats its like.

tals

Tals

Canuck

I live in Japan

View Profile
« Reply #27 on: May 14, 2008, 01:28:18 PM »

Two weeks later (ok not quite), still going strong?
Tals

View Profile
« Reply #28 on: May 14, 2008, 01:33:07 PM »

Quote from: Canuck on May 14, 2008, 01:28:18 PM

Two weeks later (ok not quite), still going strong?

Not touched it since last week frown

tbh I blame a number of factors - its too hot over here!

I can't be bothered to set up an exercise regime in front of the TV and of course Mario Kart is so much more fun - that is an awesome game

So if you were to say i'll take it off you for 70 i'd bite your hand off - but my daughter wouldn't be impressed - even if she doesn't play it lol

Tals

Canuck

I live in Japan

View Profile
« Reply #29 on: May 14, 2008, 02:07:27 PM »

Well I'm not going to say I told you so-I'm just going to sit here with a smug smile on my face. slywink
The Wii Fit will be perfect for some people, but I think those people will be the stay-at-home moms who want to do yoga every day and have it keep track of their progress.  It won't be perfect for hardcore gamers or even kids (unless they come out with a slew of new game content to keep kids interested.)
Tals

View Profile
« Reply #30 on: May 14, 2008, 02:27:30 PM »

You maybe right, the children over the weekend rated their favourite games for the wii and the top 3 were

1. Mario Kart
2. Wii Fit
3. Guitar Hero 3

In that order. Be interested if they crack it open again, we are restricted with one tv having the console running then stops the rest of the family watching tv - so in that respect I guess we are not your normal family  ninja

Myself I love Mario Kart and GH3 is also awesome - need to try the new disk I have just received with the stereo support back in. Wii Fit - not sure if I can even be bothered smile

Tals

The Grue

You are likely to be eaten by a grue.

View Profile
« Reply #31 on: May 14, 2008, 02:57:41 PM »

Quote from: Canuck on May 14, 2008, 02:07:27 PM

Well I'm not going to say I told you so-I'm just going to sit here with a smug smile on my face. slywink
The Wii Fit will be perfect for some people, but I think those people will be the stay-at-home moms who want to do yoga every day and have it keep track of their progress.  It won't be perfect for hardcore gamers or even kids (unless they come out with a slew of new game content to keep kids interested.)

Excellent job of making conclusions from one point of data.

XBox Live ID: The Grue
Playstation Network Name: TheGrue
Farscry

View Profile
« Reply #32 on: May 14, 2008, 04:13:38 PM »

Quote from: Lee on April 27, 2008, 03:41:49 PM

I am not buying it for its game play value, and I am kind of surprised at the people in this thread talking about it being a game. It's an exercise program and I expect doing push-ups and running in place to be just as exciting as doing it at the gym. Sure there might be games in it that are fun, but that's just an added bonus.

Ditto.

I'm strongly interested in it from the fitness perspective, not the least of which is the solid stuff I hear/read about how it helps train oneself for yoga postures.

Purge - You have unlocked an Achievement!
You are now of the rank reprobate
Tals

View Profile
« Reply #33 on: May 14, 2008, 07:51:44 PM »

If you are going to get it from a purely fitness perspective I think you will be disappointed. Even nintendo had research on this aspect - can you imagine the kudos if it had been proved useful but the lack of anything on that aspect tells a story.

Where I can see it being useful is understanding posture and position. The fitness side - no way, better ways to get fit imho.

Tals

Canuck

I live in Japan

View Profile
« Reply #34 on: May 14, 2008, 09:55:36 PM »

Quote from: The Grue on May 14, 2008, 02:57:41 PM

Quote from: Canuck on May 14, 2008, 02:07:27 PM

Excellent job of making conclusions from one point of data.

I've played it myself.  I'll let you buy it whenever it comes out in America and you can try to prove me wrong as well.
Lee

View Profile
« Reply #35 on: May 15, 2008, 01:23:49 AM »

Quote from: Canuck on May 14, 2008, 09:55:36 PM

I've played it myself.  I'll let you buy it whenever it comes out in America and you can try to prove me wrong as well.

Not everyone has false expectations of what it is and what the point of the thing is. GT also won't be a good indication of how successful it is since this is a gaming site, and this isn't a game really. People expecting a game, or to get fit from the thing, need to do some reading before purchase. All the reviews make both points pretty clear (although I have read it does help you with fitness).
« Last Edit: May 15, 2008, 05:02:59 AM by Lee » Logged
EngineNo9

I said good day, sir!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #36 on: May 15, 2008, 01:30:55 AM »

I've read all of the reviews and I'm still getting it.  There are some aspects that it sounds like it could have done better (specifically linking different activities into an actual workout), but that's not the only reason I'm looking forward to it.  I think the combination of the guided exercises (the yoga stuff seems cool), the weight tracking, the minigames and the potential for future games is what excites me.

Personally my big hope for this thing is that they release a sweet snowboarding game that takes advantage of it.  They already have We Ski that uses is and Skate It is supposed to also, so I'm hopeful.

Plus, my copy was already paid for as a Christmas gift so I'm getting it either way.  slywink

Canuck

I live in Japan

View Profile
« Reply #37 on: May 15, 2008, 04:29:00 AM »

Quote from: Lee on May 15, 2008, 01:23:49 AM

Not everyone has false expectations of what it is and what the point of the thing is. GT also won't be a good a good indication of how successful it is since this is a gaming site, and this isn't a game really. People expecting a game, or to get fit from the thing, need to do some reading before purchase. All the reviews make both points pretty clear (although I have read it does help you with fitness).

I'm absolutely not saying it's not going to be successful.  It's going to be amazingly, wildly successful beyond Nintendo's wildest dreams.  It will make the problem of finding a Wii seem like a walk in the park.  It will shit money.  I'm just saying that it will be at the bottom of most peoples' closets within a month.
Kevin Grey
Global Moderator

View Profile
« Reply #38 on: May 15, 2008, 04:51:51 AM »

Quote from: Canuck on May 15, 2008, 04:29:00 AM

I'm just saying that it will be at the bottom of most peoples' closets within a month.

That may or may not be true but I agree with Lee that polling the membership of Gaming Trend is a very poor way to measure that. 
Canuck

I live in Japan

View Profile
« Reply #39 on: May 15, 2008, 05:11:51 AM »

I'm not polling GT forum members-I live in Japan where the Wii Fit has been out for ages.  I personally know people who have a Wii Fit and rarely play it.  And I'm not talking about gamers either-I'm talking about 50 year old ladies who seem to be the prime target for the Wii Fit.
Pages: [1] 2 3   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: