http://gamingtrend.com
December 20, 2014, 04:36:17 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Poll
Question: Have you experienced annoying Wii console or contoller problems?
Yes - it is annoying, but I still love my Wii - 5 (18.5%)
Yes - it caused me to get rid of my Wii - 1 (3.7%)
No - it is all good - 18 (66.7%)
You really shouldn't be playing with your Wii so much - 0 (0%)
If I could find one I would let you know! - 3 (11.1%)
Total Voters: 27

Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Wii Console & Control Issues?  (Read 1015 times)
JSL
Gaming Trend Senior Member

View Profile
« on: May 31, 2007, 09:47:59 PM »

I love my Wii, but there is one specific controller issue that drives me a little crazy and I want to see if anyone else has this problem too.

When I move the cursor/crosshair all the way to the left edge of the screen it will reappear on the right side and keep going until it reaches the middle of the screen. At that point the cursor acts really erratically and does not control correctly. In Elebits and Zelda (1st person views) if this happens the screen will always turn towards the right regardless of which way the cursor was pointing and the cursor will never go past the mid-point of the screen.

To get things back to normal I have to go all the way to the right edge of the screen and get it to come back out of the left side. Oddly, this never happens when pointing towards the right side of the screen, just the left.

This always happened in Elebits, but it doesn't always happen in Zelda.

So, if you have experienced the same problem I have please share and if you have had other problems share those too.
wonderpug

hmm...

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: May 31, 2007, 10:38:17 PM »

Do you have any light sources or anything reflective like a window or a glass cabinet near your TV?  Try using the Wii remote calibrator and you can see if it's picking up any extraneous IR sources, and you can try to drop the sensitivity so they get ignored.
kronovan

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 31, 2007, 10:53:51 PM »

Quote from: wonderpug on May 31, 2007, 10:38:17 PM

Do you have any light sources or anything reflective like a window or a glass cabinet near your TV?  Try using the Wii remote calibrator and you can see if it's picking up any extraneous IR sources, and you can try to drop the sensitivity so they get ignored.

I ditto this...it's the only thing I know that can cause the error you're describing. My HDTV is stored in a cabinet that has retractable doors that can be used to shield the sides of the screen from light. Therefore I don't run the risk of light sources interfering with the Wii sensor bar and have consequently never encountered this problem.

I've had my Wii for over 6 months now and the only error I've ever had was 1 system lockup that occurred while playing POP - Rival Swords; damn that prince, his wild antics are too disruptive! smile
Destructor
Special Project Group

▲▲▼▼◄►◄►B A Start

View Profile WWW
« Reply #3 on: May 31, 2007, 11:06:33 PM »

I put plenty of hours into Zelda and never experienced that issue. I'd definitely try out the other suggestions listed as that sounds like your problem (the Wiimote getting confused as to where exactly its pointing).

"All opinions posted are my own, and not those of my employers, who are appalled."
JSL

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 31, 2007, 11:58:33 PM »

Quote from: wonderpug on May 31, 2007, 10:38:17 PM

Bingo, that was the problem. I always saw two dots on the calibration screen, so I thought it was fine, but when I pointed the remote left I started seeing four or five lights, which was caused by the sliding glass doors. Closing the shade and being a little more toned down with my gestures has seemed to fix the problem. I thought I remembered this happening even with the blinds closed, but the extra dots went away and it is working much better. I also lowered the sensitivity, which also may have helped a little. Hopefully when I move soon I can position the TV/Wii in a better location.

For another console issue, which only happened once, I turned the Wii on and nothing happened. The green light was on, the remote was on, but nothing would come up on the screen. I could not turn the Wii off with the remote or power button on the unit, so I was forced to pull the plug out of the back. Hasn't happened again and probably was a fluke.
Destructor
Special Project Group

▲▲▼▼◄►◄►B A Start

View Profile WWW
« Reply #5 on: June 01, 2007, 04:48:24 AM »

Quote from: JSL on May 31, 2007, 11:58:33 PM

For another console issue, which only happened once, I turned the Wii on and nothing happened. The green light was on, the remote was on, but nothing would come up on the screen. I could not turn the Wii off with the remote or power button on the unit, so I was forced to pull the plug out of the back. Hasn't happened again and probably was a fluke.

Yeah, I've had that before too. I think it has something to do with you interrupting it downloading Miis or something into your console (or some 'net based access). Basically for me I never touch the thing for a minute or so after booting it to allow it to play 'catch up'.

"All opinions posted are my own, and not those of my employers, who are appalled."
jimmyorr99

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: June 01, 2007, 01:28:30 PM »

I don't technically own a wii, but one of my friends does and I play it pretty often now. Haven't had any problems, even with multiple hours of straight gameplay.

if you strike me down, i will become more powerful than you can ever imagine.
CeeKay
Gaming Trend Staff

La-bibbida-bibba-dum! La-bibbida-bibba-do!

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: June 01, 2007, 02:15:46 PM »

I've heard cell phones can interfere with the Wii Motes signal too.  About the only issue I have with the Wii-Mote is when I want to play a game but I'm tired and don't feel like doing all the gestures  icon_wink

Because I can,
also because I don't care what you want.
XBL: OriginalCeeKay
Wii U: CeeKay
Jag

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: June 04, 2007, 01:45:05 PM »

I've had the Wii lock lock up on me in the middle of Madden 2006 games a few times. Not sure why it does that. It's the game that we play the most (don't use the Wii all that much) so i don't know if it happens in other games.
javahead

Coffee is Murder!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #9 on: June 04, 2007, 02:31:26 PM »

Quote from: Destructor on June 01, 2007, 04:48:24 AM

Quote from: JSL on May 31, 2007, 11:58:33 PM

Yeah, I've had that before too. I think it has something to do with you interrupting it downloading Miis or something into your console (or some 'net based access). Basically for me I never touch the thing for a minute or so after booting it to allow it to play 'catch up'.
I had this happen to me one time. My daughter was playing after I'd gone to bed, and she told my wife the batteries died. Well, we were outta AA batteries. So a week went by before I got new batteries and lo and behold, the entire time it was merely locked up. I think she was playing Zelda at the time, but I'm not sure. The battery power may have been low, and that may, or may not, have contributed to the lockup, but its been great otherwise this one occurrence.

Jesters Do It Till Ya Smile!
          \|/ ____ \|/
        ~@_/ Oo \_@~
          /_( \__/ )_\
             \__U_/
jimmyorr99

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: June 05, 2007, 03:03:54 PM »

Quote from: Jag on June 04, 2007, 01:45:05 PM

I've had the Wii lock lock up on me in the middle of Madden 2006 games a few times. Not sure why it does that. It's the game that we play the most (don't use the Wii all that much) so i don't know if it happens in other games.
I've actually had this happen while playing COD3 on the ps3. That's the only wireless controller issue I've ever had though with any of the 3 next gen systems.

if you strike me down, i will become more powerful than you can ever imagine.
Bullwinkle
Gaming Trend Staff

Watch me pull a rabbit outta my hat.

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: June 05, 2007, 03:53:03 PM »

I've had issues where the Wii won't recognize a controller for some random reason.  I've had to reboot the Wii from time to time, too.  But the biggest issue I have is that the Wii seems to be just at the edge of the range, though I think my TV is only about eight feet from the couch.  There are infrequent control problems in games, possibly from the range problem.  The Dragon Ball Z game won't even let me play unless I sit at the edge of the couch, which is uncomfortable.  I heard that one of the wireless sensor bars has a much longer range (though only in battery mode, which is annoying), so I ordered it recently, hoping to get rid of the range issue.  I wish Nintendo would just up the power output to the bar a little (assuming that's the issue).

That's like blaming owls because I suck at making analogies.
Purge
Gaming Trend Staff

View Profile WWW
« Reply #12 on: June 05, 2007, 03:55:52 PM »

The only control issues I've experienced are based on game developer (such as Spider-man 3) where left-hand/right-hand switching works for some stuff, but for others it isn't.

Example :

I am left-handed, and switched the controls to left-hand... but when in a storyline battle such as with the Green Goblin Mk II, the WiiMote steers right, and the nunchuk goes left (per standard right-hand control).

Basically the global setting doesn't include changing storyline combat which makes it VERY frustrating.
« Last Edit: June 05, 2007, 03:57:46 PM by Purge » Logged

"If it weren't for Philo T. Farnsworth, inventor of television, we'd still be eating frozen radio dinners." - Johnny Carson
JSL

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: June 05, 2007, 04:18:28 PM »

Quote from: Purge on June 05, 2007, 03:55:52 PM

The only control issues I've experienced are based on game developer (such as Spider-man 3) where left-hand/right-hand switching works for some stuff, but for others it isn't.

Example :

I am left-handed, and switched the controls to left-hand... but when in a storyline battle such as with the Green Goblin Mk II, the WiiMote steers right, and the nunchuk goes left (per standard right-hand control).

Basically the global setting doesn't include changing storyline combat which makes it VERY frustrating.

Wow, that is fairly lame. Bad programming and setup on their part.

I am happy to say that all of my Zelda issues have gone away by closing the blinds on the patio glass doors. I now have no problems with my Wii. ;-)
metallicorphan

View Profile
« Reply #14 on: June 05, 2007, 04:28:10 PM »

i have had the Wii on and then gone to the shopping channel,and then the wii-mote has just ceased to work...,i have to reset the wii(by unplugging it,as the on/off button doesnt work at that time)...doesnt happen a lot,but it happens

and also when having two players,it took a very long time to get the second controller working,as everything i was doing,which was right.....wasnt working<<<<,this isnt really an issue,as apart from Zelda,i have only played actual Wii games for about 1 or 2 hrs,since buying it in december

Manchester United Premier League Champions 2013!!

Xbox LIVE:Metallicorphan
Wii:8565 1513 0206 1960
PSN:Metallicorphan
Destructor
Special Project Group

▲▲▼▼◄►◄►B A Start

View Profile WWW
« Reply #15 on: June 05, 2007, 09:03:31 PM »

Quote from: JSL on June 05, 2007, 04:18:28 PM

I am happy to say that all of my Zelda issues have gone away by closing the blinds on the patio glass doors. I now have no problems with my Wii. ;-)

And that's the solution for all gaming issues - get out of the sun. biggrin

lildrgn

It's not the years, it's the mileage.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #16 on: June 24, 2007, 12:10:34 AM »

My Wii worked 2 weeks ago. I fired it up today and it works when cruising the menus, but in Wii Sports, when a game starts, I get nothing. No waggling in Tennis or Baseball, no action in Bowling. I tried switching batteries, Wiimotes, rebooting, adjusting sensitivity, closing blinds. Nothing worked.

I have to go to a BBQ now so I'll troubleshoot more later.

Jag

View Profile
« Reply #17 on: June 24, 2007, 01:00:32 PM »

Quote from: lildrgn on June 24, 2007, 12:10:34 AM

My Wii worked 2 weeks ago. I fired it up today and it works when cruising the menus, but in Wii Sports, when a game starts, I get nothing. No waggling in Tennis or Baseball, no action in Bowling. I tried switching batteries, Wiimotes, rebooting, adjusting sensitivity, closing blinds. Nothing worked.

I have to go to a BBQ now so I'll troubleshoot more later.

Must have been an update they did. Try resyncing

http://www.gamingtrend.com/forums/index.php/topic,20809.0.html
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: