http://gamingtrend.com
September 02, 2014, 12:49:57 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Poll
Question: Are you getting a Wii on release  (Voting closed: September 18, 2006, 03:05:36 PM)
Yes.  250 not so bad - 33 (41.8%)
Yes, but I can wait - 19 (24.1%)
No! Screw Nintendo. 250 is too much - 19 (24.1%)
No, Not releasing with a game I want, But Nintendo is making a money!!! - 8 (10.1%)
Total Voters: 79

Pages: [1] 2   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Wii 250.00 In or Out  (Read 3150 times)
Soulchilde
Gaming Trend Senior Member

You and I have unfinished business

View Profile
« on: September 14, 2006, 03:05:36 PM »

Here it is.  In or out

Quote from: Devil on January 12, 2007, 01:14:38 AM

NiM$
Kevin Grey
Global Moderator

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: September 14, 2006, 03:13:08 PM »

In.  It's pretty much what I expected and is a lock as my Christmas present from my wife this year (assuming availablity of course).  And while I personally don't care much about Wii sports, I'm glad it's a pack-in since it will be of far more interest to my wife, parents, and in-laws than Zelda or Metroid will be. 
siege

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 14, 2006, 03:13:31 PM »

I voted No.

Far too expensive for what is essentially a Gamecube with more ram. Don't want Wii Sports as a pack-in and controllers at $60 a pop will raise the initial cost for families of four to $430 to get started. Far from casual, Nintendo.

Delaying the GC version of Zelda was really cute. What was originally promised on the Cube is now technically a Wii launch title only. Get the hardcore Zelda fans, who might not have wanted a Wii right now, to make the jump so they can play it when it's first released. Smart business decision, but a real shitbomb ethically. You get no money from me, Ninty.
coopasonic

View Profile WWW
« Reply #3 on: September 14, 2006, 03:16:42 PM »

No good voting option available for me. I'm out because I'm not interested in any of the games I'm currently aware of, not because of the price. I guess if it were $99 I might get one to play with the magic stick, but probably not.

It was this moment that took the movie from being a little ho-hum to “holy shit, did that shark just eat a plane!?”
CeeKay
Gaming Trend Staff

La-bibbida-bibba-dum! La-bibbida-bibba-do!

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 14, 2006, 03:17:33 PM »

IN!!!!!
 nod

Because I can,
also because I don't care what you want.
XBL: OriginalCeeKay
Wii U: CeeKay
Kevin Grey
Global Moderator

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: September 14, 2006, 03:18:19 PM »

Quote from: siege on September 14, 2006, 03:13:31 PM

Delaying the GC version of Zelda was really cute. What was originally promised on the Cube is now technically a Wii launch title only. Get the hardcore Zelda fans, who might not have wanted a Wii right now, to make the jump so they can play it when it's first released. Smart business decision, but a real shitbomb ethically. You get no money from me, Ninty.

The Cube version has been delayed?
denoginizer

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: September 14, 2006, 03:20:00 PM »

Quote from: coopasonic on September 14, 2006, 03:16:42 PM

No good voting option available for me. I'm out because I'm not interested in any of the games I'm currently aware of, not because of the price. I guess if it were $99 I might get one to play with the magic stick, but probably not.

No for me. But not because of the price.  No games yet that interest me, and the demos of the controller haven't impressed me so far.  Maybe when I try the controller in a store I might change my mind. 

I REALLY wish it at least supported 720p.

****edit.
       No online multiplayer until 2007!!  Now I'm way OUT.
« Last Edit: September 14, 2006, 06:48:03 PM by denoginizer » Logged

Xbox Live Tag: denoginizer
PSN Name: denoginizer
siege

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: September 14, 2006, 03:35:06 PM »

Quote from: Kevin Grey on September 14, 2006, 03:18:19 PM

Quote from: siege on September 14, 2006, 03:13:31 PM

The Cube version has been delayed?

Yeah, until December 12th.
Laner

Badassfully

View Profile WWW
« Reply #8 on: September 14, 2006, 03:36:10 PM »

The price is just where I expected it to be, but I'm waiting on reviews.
ATB

Thanks for everything, Ryan. 1979-2013

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: September 14, 2006, 03:50:57 PM »

Quote from: Laner on September 14, 2006, 03:36:10 PM

The price is just where I expected it to be, but I'm waiting on reviews.

I voted in, but it's not an automatic anymore.  $400.00+ take home costs are significant and reason for pause.

Surprising how much that extra 50.00 kinda hurts.

Don't. Know.
Luke
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: September 14, 2006, 04:07:13 PM »

Implicit in "I can wait" is "Wii will be cheaper some day."  Barring something incredible on both the Wii gaming front and in my checkbook, I'll be more than happy to let the psycho fans absorb the early costs.

The $250 price is cheap these days, but it's also a mistake.  A $200 or less price tag is great in terms of perception of value.  Nintendo could've drastically increased demand at that price point.
TheMissingLink

TML, for short.

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: September 14, 2006, 04:23:40 PM »

As much initial excitement that I had for the Wii...

Eh, I don't know.  None of the titles are making me really want to go out and grab a Wii for $300 (console + wanted game).

I really appreciate the direction Nintendo is going for next-generation, but I'm not entirely sure I'm ready to drop that much money on a console that really has no games I'm really interested in.

I see myself getting one eventually, but probably not launch-day.

**edited**

THAT SAID, it's a given that the day Smash Bros. Brawl comes out is the day I own a Wii.  I just have no clue when that is, I'm I'm about 99% confident it won't be in 2006 (hunch).
« Last Edit: September 14, 2006, 04:26:32 PM by TheMissingLink » Logged

TheMissingLink on PSN
Farscry

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: September 14, 2006, 04:24:00 PM »

I'm in, but with all the other gaming I'm still catching up on, I'm forcing myself to wait until Q1 next year.  icon_wink The price is higher than what I'd like, but the Wii Sports packin mitigates that a bit.

Purge - You have unlocked an Achievement!
You are now of the rank reprobate
FlyingElvis
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: September 14, 2006, 04:28:41 PM »

I will be in if I can buy one without being raped on a $1000 bundle.

I hate bundles.

Now playing: Oblivion, X3: The Reunion
Zarkon

View Profile WWW
« Reply #14 on: September 14, 2006, 04:33:53 PM »

I'm in.

Especially since I should be able to get the Wii for $217 or so after my discounts.  Add in Zelda for about $48, and that's Wii + Zelda for $265.  Very doable. smile

Especially considering everyone will be begging for a PS3 at the same time biggrin
Destructor
Special Project Group

▲▲▼▼◄►◄►B A Start

View Profile WWW
« Reply #15 on: September 14, 2006, 04:44:43 PM »

I find it funny that $50 is such a giant difference. It's only $50 (or the price of a single game). And you're getting a game (albit a simple, yet fun looking one that shows off the controller quite well) with that $250.

Oh, and I voted IN!

"All opinions posted are my own, and not those of my employers, who are appalled."
corruptrelic

View Profile
« Reply #16 on: September 14, 2006, 05:11:26 PM »

It's only $50

Well in that case, you have an extra $50 I can have?

Seriously though, for some of us, $50 is a lot of money. For me personally, if I see a game for $14.99 at Best Buy, and the same game at Circuit City for $19.99 (Which is also 5 miles closer) I'm going to go to best buy.
Even at that $5 difference.

That's in part because of my recent unemployment and trying to get caught up on all my bills (almost there now finally) so yeah, I'd say to a lot of us average folks, $50 is a good chunk of change.

I'm interested in the Wii.. but I woudn't pay a penny over $200 for it. It's not like nintendo coudn't afford to release it at $200, it's almost like they wanted to milk it for everything they could because they know people are going to buy it regardless.

There's a pretty interesting article "Gamers React" that seems to share that same view of most of us expecting it to come in at under $250.. though I woudn't go as far as to say I wont be buying nintendo anymore as some may say.

But between the lack of hardware (the Wii is still "this generation" not much of a step up from the gamecube) and the price, IMO, it just doesn't seem worth it.

http://www.gwn.com/articles/article.php/id/791/

"A gladiator does not fear death. He embraces it. Caresses it. Fucks it. Every time he enters the arena, he slides his cock into the mouth of the beast."
Wolves
Gaming Trend Reader

DAMMIT!!!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #17 on: September 14, 2006, 05:17:00 PM »

The price doesn't deter me.
I'd assume it will be $300 Canadian and that's fine with me....
But to get a full extra controller is more than I was expecting.
Maybe not on launch day, but shortly after I try out Red Steel (if it's as fun as it looks), and as long as I don't have to order it, I'm pretty sure I'll pick one up.

So, my answer was 'Yes....but I can wait'.

Devil

View Profile
« Reply #18 on: September 14, 2006, 05:19:56 PM »

I need to do my part to make sure Nintendo is making money: IN!

XBox Gamertag: Devil13Devil
Wii Number: 0305 6568 6417 2609
PS3 Thing: Slived
faide
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #19 on: September 14, 2006, 05:36:13 PM »

Quote from: Destructor on September 14, 2006, 04:44:43 PM

I find it funny that $50 is such a giant difference. It's only $50 (or the price of a single game). And you're getting a game (albit a simple, yet fun looking one that shows off the controller quite well) with that $250.

Oh, and I voted IN!

I'm IN but I can understand why people may not like the extra $50.  Personally I'd much rather have the system not bundled with the game at $200.  Then I can spend the $50 on a game of MY choosing rather than the one they decided to put in the box. 

jblank

Always Outnumbered, Never Outgunned

View Profile WWW
« Reply #20 on: September 14, 2006, 05:38:07 PM »

Out until a price drop.

Its too much money for a console that doesn't do HD and is barely more powerful than its predecessor. Shame too, I really was wanting this.

XBOX 350 Gamertag = Phobos of Mars
PSN Gamertag = PhobosofMars
Soulchilde

You and I have unfinished business

View Profile
« Reply #21 on: September 14, 2006, 06:32:18 PM »

I voted in, but I can wait.   I would have been in 200 at release, but 250 is a bit much

Quote from: Devil on January 12, 2007, 01:14:38 AM

NiM$
Jancelot

View Profile
« Reply #22 on: September 14, 2006, 06:41:21 PM »

Out...for now.  The lack of HD and the price after all additional accessories and games is just a bit too high.  Plus I want to wait for a while for impressions.
Kobra

View Profile
« Reply #23 on: September 14, 2006, 06:45:36 PM »

Out, $250 is too much for a GameCube 2.5 considering you can buy a fully loaded GameCube w/games on the used market for $60.00..

Looks like I have to eat some crow due to Nintendo ratcheting up the price beyond the projected $179.00 price point.  I think the overpriced nature of the other current generation consoles played a part in their decision.

All truth goes through three stages: first it is ridiculed: then it is
violently opposed: finally it is accepted as self evident. - Schopenhauer
Tebunker

Ask How, Ask Now, Ask me

View Profile
« Reply #24 on: September 14, 2006, 06:58:15 PM »

I would've liked it at 200 so I could choose my own "pack-in" game, but Hey I am getting a $40 dollar game with it, Bowling and Boxing both look like a lot of fun.

I'm in if I can come up with enough trade-ins to offset the costs. I have 2 gamecubes I want to trade in to cover some of the expenses, I'd like to trade in some other games as well.

If it was $200 bucks without Wii Sports I think it'd be more appealing, not only price but in the idea of having a choice with regards to the game. I think subconsciously everyone is thinking that.

Lastly I was hoping it would come out earlier as I am planning a fishing trip with my Brother-in-laws and I know that Wii Madden and Wii sports would and will be the kind of games that they'd enjoy playing.

"I hate cynicism -- it's my least favorite quality and it doesn't lead anywhere. Nobody in life gets exactly what they thought they were going to get. But if you work really hard and you're kind amazing things will happen." - Conan O'Brien
coopasonic

View Profile WWW
« Reply #25 on: September 14, 2006, 07:16:26 PM »

Quote from: Destructor on September 14, 2006, 04:44:43 PM

Oh, and I voted IN!

$250 for a game system that so far I imagine I'll play 3 games on and probably enjoy 2 game on. I'll spend $99 for that (like I did with the gamecube), not $250.

It was this moment that took the movie from being a little ho-hum to “holy shit, did that shark just eat a plane!?”
Calvin

President of G.R.O.S.S.

View Profile
« Reply #26 on: September 14, 2006, 08:00:52 PM »

Quote from: Kobra on September 14, 2006, 06:45:36 PM

Out, $250 is too much for a GameCube 2.5 considering you can buy a fully loaded GameCube w/games on the used market for $60.00..

Looks like I have to eat some crow due to Nintendo ratcheting up the price beyond the projected $179.00 price point.  I think the overpriced nature of the other current generation consoles played a part in their decision.

Yeah, all your guarantees were pretty funny smile
Calvin

President of G.R.O.S.S.

View Profile
« Reply #27 on: September 14, 2006, 08:01:18 PM »

Voting OUT!! Maybe when it hits 99.99
Nth Power

View Profile
« Reply #28 on: September 14, 2006, 08:06:48 PM »

I'm going to wait a little while mainly because I'll be strapped for cash around holiday time.  Maybe I'll pick one up sometime early to mid-2007.

"Those who can make you believe absurdities can make you commit atrocities" -Voltaire
XBL gamertag: NthPowr
ATB

Thanks for everything, Ryan. 1979-2013

View Profile
« Reply #29 on: September 14, 2006, 09:01:56 PM »

Quote from: Kobra on September 14, 2006, 06:45:36 PM

Looks like I have to eat some crow

Don't you mean pants?
semiconscious

View Profile
« Reply #30 on: September 14, 2006, 09:06:20 PM »

will probably get both a wii & zelda once zelda's (finally) released, & not until...

Quote from: Tebunker on September 14, 2006, 06:58:15 PM

I would've liked it at 200 so I could choose my own "pack-in" game...

yeah, i would've liked that, too...
« Last Edit: September 14, 2006, 09:10:56 PM by semiconscious » Logged

"... i'm not against some 'monkey catching'... but i'd rather be collecting pants..."
- snake, 'snake vs monkey' (mgs3:se)
Harpua3

View Profile
« Reply #31 on: September 14, 2006, 09:38:15 PM »

I`m IN!!! No complaints from me. I don`t bitch like the others around...NM icon_lol.j/k icon_smile
mikeg

View Profile WWW
« Reply #32 on: September 15, 2006, 12:04:55 AM »

Most assuredly NOT.

I am Xboxalot on Live.
pingwrx

View Profile
« Reply #33 on: September 15, 2006, 12:10:51 AM »

Out for now none of those launch games intrest me but will pick one up when some more titles drop come on animal crossing2  Tongue

XBL gamertag: pingwrx
PS3-PS4 pingwrx
Dafones

View Profile
« Reply #34 on: September 15, 2006, 01:08:24 AM »

I'm more out than I thought I was going to be. I'm in the "wait and see" camp. Definitely not a day-one purchase. I want to see how the reviews come out, how the controls really wind up, what the concensus is, and all. I'll buy it for $250 if it's a great console with great games ... but that's still up in the air, in my opinion.

Now Playing: GTA - San Andreas [PS2]
Yoshi's Island DS [DS]
Cleric7

View Profile
« Reply #35 on: September 15, 2006, 02:14:29 AM »

I'm IN.
Nintendo proved to me with the DS that they know how to make fun and unique control systems. The good games on this system  (and there will be plenty of crap) -- but the good games will be great!

"All that is necessary for evil to flourish is for good people to do nothing."
motodd
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #36 on: September 15, 2006, 02:53:39 AM »

In at launch. Man that is going to be a crazy and expensive week.
-Lord Ebonstone-
BANNED

get naked

View Profile WWW
« Reply #37 on: September 15, 2006, 03:00:34 AM »

Eh... it's gone from pre-order or day-one to wait-on-reviews for me.  $249 with a game isn't bad, a shame the game has to be something I really have no interest in (Wii Sports).

If two other launch titles aside from Zelda are quality, I'll buy.  If not, probably not.

xbl tag = cthonic horror

NNNOOOOOO!!
The Grue

You are likely to be eaten by a grue.

View Profile
« Reply #38 on: September 15, 2006, 03:23:49 AM »

I'm so fucking in it hurts.  Can't wait until Gamestop starts taking preorders as I have some Gamebucks sitting around just waiting for it.

XBox Live ID: The Grue
Playstation Network Name: TheGrue
Tebunker

Ask How, Ask Now, Ask me

View Profile
« Reply #39 on: September 15, 2006, 03:25:03 AM »

shoot Grue, I figured you'd wait for Harvest Moon Wii to hit before comitting smile

"I hate cynicism -- it's my least favorite quality and it doesn't lead anywhere. Nobody in life gets exactly what they thought they were going to get. But if you work really hard and you're kind amazing things will happen." - Conan O'Brien
Pages: [1] 2   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: