http://gamingtrend.com
September 01, 2014, 07:14:16 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Why PS3, Not Xbox was my Netflix Machine Father's Day Gift  (Read 650 times)
corruptrelic
Gaming Trend Senior Member

View Profile
« on: June 19, 2012, 01:41:32 AM »

Naturally, as a gamer, my first thought turned to which console I could get him that would serve as a primary Netflix box. Yes, I could go with AppleTV, but if Iíd never used it, teaching him would be a chore. Plugging in a laptop each time via HDMI would be too much of a hassle, and so I went with my original assertion, picking and choosing between which gaming console Iíd get my dad. It was a present I never thought Iíd give.

The Wii was easy to rule out immediately as it feels downright archaic at this point. It was then just between the two dueling titans, Playstation 3 and Xbox 360, and the decision suddenly became clear.

I agree with our own David Ewaltís assertion that the Xbox is ďwinning the living room warĒ in many ways. Between all its apps and Kinect functionality, it really does seem like the best option for a media hub in a tech-savvy household.

That said, I also agree with Gizmodoís statement that itís time for Xbox Live Gold to be free. Their main point was that if all these in-console apps are charging their own rates, Netflix, Hulu, etc, it seems unreasonable that it costs an additional $50 a year just to have Xbox Live Gold to access them in the first place.

Unfortunately, Xbox Live Gold is a money printing machine for Microsoft at this point. Iím currently paying for it despite the fact I havenít played an Xbox game online in over six months. It auto-renews year after year, and Iíll probably never shut it off for as long as I own the console.

But it was the final deciding factor when it came to purchasing my father his Netflix machine. There was no way on earth I was going to shell out $250 for a system, then tell my dad that he had to pay Microsoft $50 a year to access Netflix, which is about another $100 year itself. The easy math here indicates that Netflix for Xbox costs about 50% more than Netflix for PS3 because of the additional Gold costs, and for my non-gaming dad, there are no outlying factors to consider like an undying devotion to Halo or the need to control the system with gestures and grunts.

http://www.forbes.com/sites/insertcoin/2012/06/18/why-ps3-not-xbox-was-my-netflix-machine-fathers-day-gift/

Well written article, IMO. I haven't turned my 360 on in a few months now but if Gold did indeed go free like every other system out there I'd definitely be spending more time on it.

"A gladiator does not fear death. He embraces it. Caresses it. Fucks it. Every time he enters the arena, he slides his cock into the mouth of the beast."
Crawley

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: June 19, 2012, 02:36:07 AM »

Roku would have been the cheapest option. Its simple to set up and has a simple remote for the technology challenged.

But as a gamer I would agree the PS3 is the way to go. Basically use that for all my media.
Purge
Gaming Trend Staff

Thirty. Minutes.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #2 on: June 19, 2012, 02:47:06 AM »

After using a Patriot Box Office, I'd rather use that than EITHER console.

"If it weren't for Philo T. Farnsworth, inventor of television, we'd still be eating frozen radio dinners." - Johnny Carson
th'FOOL
Executive Producer and Editor-At-Large

Never whistle while you're pissing

View Profile WWW
« Reply #3 on: June 19, 2012, 03:19:04 AM »

Yes, I could go with AppleTV, but if Iíd never used it, teaching him would be a chore

Except for the fact that it's freakin' easy as hell to use- way moreso than the PS3. We've been conditioned to think technology is super difficult to use and we need to teach our grandparents and children how to use them correctly. Just sayin'

Mike Dunn
Executive Producer & Managing Editor, GamingTrend
Jumangi

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 19, 2012, 07:32:13 PM »

Umm...that article was dumb. He is choosing between a PS3 and 360 for netflix for his dad? The Apple TV is stupid easy to use and costs $99, and you can get a Roku that streams all the major stuff for $60 starting, yet he is gonna pay between $200-250 instead. Why does this guy have a job giving out tech advice?
gellar

I'm a dolphin!

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: June 19, 2012, 09:15:51 PM »

Add me in on the 'this is really dumb' verdict.  He's purchased the second most expensive option for his stated goal.  There are a handful of much less expensive choices.  Congrats on not picking the most expensive option, I guess?
Laner

Badassfully

View Profile WWW
« Reply #6 on: June 20, 2012, 01:13:47 PM »

In the comments the author states that his true goal was to get his father into gaming.  He really should have stated that explicitly in the story itself, otherwise he just looks like an idiot.
Purge
Gaming Trend Staff

Thirty. Minutes.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #7 on: June 20, 2012, 01:47:04 PM »

I agree. Right around the time he said he didn't want Apple TV, he should have stated his ulterior motive.

"If it weren't for Philo T. Farnsworth, inventor of television, we'd still be eating frozen radio dinners." - Johnny Carson
pr0ner

Go Flames go!

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: June 20, 2012, 02:27:22 PM »

Add another vote to the "really dumb" category.

XBox Live Gamertag: Pr0ner
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: