http://gamingtrend.com
July 28, 2014, 06:15:56 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Why must I turn on my XBox 360 twice every time?  (Read 1318 times)
The Grue
Gaming Trend Senior Member

You are likely to be eaten by a grue.

View Profile
« on: January 23, 2006, 04:05:37 AM »

Seriously. For the last two days, the first time I turn on the system, I get no picture and it just kind of hangs out doing nothing with a black screen. No controllers register. Then, I turn it off with the power button on the system itself (since the controller never registers) and turn it right back on and it loads up fine. Anyone else have this problem?

XBox Live ID: The Grue
Playstation Network Name: TheGrue
Destructor
Special Project Group

▲▲▼▼◄►◄►B A Start

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1 on: January 23, 2006, 04:10:16 AM »

Quote from: "DiscoJason"
Seriously. For the last two days, the first time I turn on the system, I get no picture and it just kind of hangs out doing nothing with a black screen. No controllers register. Then, I turn it off with the power button on the system itself (since the controller never registers) and turn it right back on and it loads up fine. Anyone else have this problem?

I'm assuming you're turning on the system with the controller (by holding down the Guide button for a few seconds), correct? If your system isn't booting anymore with the controller, the only thing I can suggest is to relink your 360 with your controller again:

1) Boot the 360 (so you get to the Dashboard)
2) Push the Connect button on your 360 (small white button just right of Memory Card slot 2)
3) Push the Connect button on your controller (small white button on top of the controller, next to the port used to recharge your controller if you have the rechargable pack installed)
4) After a few seconds, the lights on the 360 and the controller will sync up, and they'll happily talk to one another again.

If this isn't the issue, I don't know what to say. Check the charge on your controller batteries? Just kick the thing? biggrin
No idea, otherwise.

"All opinions posted are my own, and not those of my employers, who are appalled."
The Grue

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 23, 2006, 04:45:22 AM »

No, the controller makes the system come on, but it just sticks at a black screen.  Then the controller stops responding.  So, it works at first and keeps working once I turn the 360 off and turn it back on to play.  SO, it isn't the batteries on the controller, but is the 360 getting stuck for some reason.  It only seems to happen when I have let the 360 sit for a bit.

Destructor
Special Project Group

▲▲▼▼◄►◄►B A Start

View Profile WWW
« Reply #3 on: January 23, 2006, 01:25:12 PM »

Any game in the drive? Or are you booting the console empty?

It definitely is a problem of sorts, but what exactly it is (and if it'll get worse) is a question to ponder.

"All opinions posted are my own, and not those of my employers, who are appalled."
HankRaptor

View Profile WWW
« Reply #4 on: January 23, 2006, 01:35:13 PM »

I had the same EXACT problem.

Had to return it to Microsoft. THey sent me a new one that is now crashing intermittently. At least it turns on EVERY TIME.

Wii Number 6291 3315 9378 1013
360- HankRaptor
PSN- HankRaptor
Crispin sees what you are doing and he is NONE TOO PLEASED.
jblank

Always Outnumbered, Never Outgunned

View Profile WWW
« Reply #5 on: January 23, 2006, 02:17:23 PM »

<--------is very glad he decided to wait to get a 360.

XBOX 350 Gamertag = Phobos of Mars
PSN Gamertag = PhobosofMars
The Grue

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: January 23, 2006, 02:24:29 PM »

This morning I turned it on and got the E47 message.  TUrned it right off and back on and it worked.  TUrned it on and off about 10 times and it started each time.  It basically only happens the first time you try to turn it on after it has been off.  I guess I will see if it continues this week and if it does, I will call MS.  I would just hate to get one sent back to me that is worse and then keep having to send things back.  I haven't had the systme lock up or freeze when playing or anything like that.

Oh, today when I turned it on, I didn't have a disc in.  All the other times, I did and I took the disc out just to see if it would happen with it out this morning.  The unit doesn't run hot or anything and neither does the power supply, so I just find it odd.

farley2k

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: January 23, 2006, 02:39:55 PM »

I would send it back ASAP.  Are you ever going go really trust it again?  

They seem to be doing a good job of fixing broken machines so you are better off getting a new one rather than waiting until it really breaks.

pr0ner

Go Flames go!

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: January 23, 2006, 04:59:12 PM »

Quote from: "jblank"

QFT

XBox Live Gamertag: Pr0ner
Turtle

View Profile WWW
« Reply #9 on: January 23, 2006, 05:08:41 PM »

If you send it back, keep your hard drive.
jblank

View Profile WWW
« Reply #10 on: January 23, 2006, 05:16:50 PM »

Quote from: "pr0ner"

QFT

QFT?

Darren8r

I like video games

View Profile WWW
« Reply #11 on: January 23, 2006, 05:17:57 PM »

Wow there seems to be lots of problems with the 360's I think I'll wait for a year or two to get one.

Now Playing: Skyrim
PS3: Darrenzo- (don't forget the dash at the end)
jblank

View Profile WWW
« Reply #12 on: January 23, 2006, 05:28:02 PM »

Quote from: "Darren8r"
Wow there seems to be lots of problems with the 360's I think I'll wait for a year or two to get one.

Same here. I think overall its a well built system, and I would LOVE to have one, but I kind justify spending 400+ dollars on something that might break quickly. I take immaculate care of my stuff, but even with me being gentle about using the consoles, I have had some bad experiences with launch Playstations, PS2's and Xbox's. I will get a 360 later in the year, but for right now, with all the great DS/XBOX/PC games I am playing or will be playing, I'm in no hurry.

warning

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: January 23, 2006, 05:35:39 PM »

Quote from: "pr0ner"

QFT

QFT?

Quoted For Truth!

And I'm glad I'm waiting as well.
The Grue

View Profile
« Reply #14 on: January 25, 2006, 02:38:51 AM »

Well, I found a thread on the XBox forums of people who have the same issue I have.  Many of them sent theirs back and the new ones they got have been working so far (although mine didn't do this the first few days I owned it).  So, I called and got them to send me a return box tonight.  I will update this when I get it all taken care of.

The Grue

View Profile
« Reply #15 on: February 03, 2006, 05:00:09 PM »

As an update to this, I got a new XBox sent back to me yesterday and so far so good.  The turnaround was really quick on it.  I sent it in last Friday and UPS tried to deliver it ot me on Wednesday, though nobody was home.  So, I got it yesterday, but should have gotten it on Wed.  Pretty darn quick and so far the thing has booted up like a champ.  I only made two attempts at it where I had long cooldowns.  One was when I first hooked it up and the other was this morning.  I played Kameo for a bit last night and it never locked up or ran hot or anything (not that my old one did either).

Calvin

President of G.R.O.S.S.

View Profile
« Reply #16 on: February 03, 2006, 05:41:38 PM »

Quote from: "DiscoJason"
As an update to this, I got a new XBox sent back to me yesterday and so far so good.  The turnaround was really quick on it.  I sent it in last Friday and UPS tried to deliver it ot me on Wednesday, though nobody was home.  So, I got it yesterday, but should have gotten it on Wed.  Pretty darn quick and so far the thing has booted up like a champ.  I only made two attempts at it where I had long cooldowns.  One was when I first hooked it up and the other was this morning.  I played Kameo for a bit last night and it never locked up or ran hot or anything (not that my old one did either).

Excellent, good luck man.
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: