http://gamingtrend.com
July 24, 2014, 12:01:01 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Why is the first Xbox still $180?  (Read 1377 times)
corruptrelic
Gaming Trend Senior Member

View Profile
« on: July 31, 2006, 07:24:48 AM »

You'd think that at the end of a console's lifespan the price would decrease, if anything!
Yet the Xbox jumped from $149.99 to $179.99 which included the forza game. Even now, with the PS2 dropping to $129.99 the Xbox maintains it's $180 price tag. (I could care less about the included game and it's definitely not worth 50 bucks!)

I've been strongly considering picking up an Xbox just so I can play some games that I don't know if they'll ever be backwards compatible - Counter-Strike being the top one. I think I'm suffeirng from withdrawal right now.. I mean even playing against the bots was a blast!
Also missing Conker Bad Fur Day, Unreal Championship 1 & 2 and the newly released Warpath ("sequel" to Pariah) is looking fantastic.

I've thought about getting a used one but to be honest, I'd rather go new and get a 2005 or later model so it'll last me a good long while.

Does anyone still actively play their Xbox? If you're in a similiar situation as I am (wanting to play original Xbox games but they aren't backwards compatible) is it worth biting the $180 price tag just to get a new one? Anyone heard anything about MS maybe bringing the price down to compete with the playstation 2 a little more?

"A gladiator does not fear death. He embraces it. Caresses it. Fucks it. Every time he enters the arena, he slides his cock into the mouth of the beast."
Sarkus

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: July 31, 2006, 07:42:14 AM »

At some point they will probably drop the price to clear out remaining inventory, but all evidence suggests that due to poor supply agreements the cost of the original Xbox never dropped much and thus, even at $180, it's still losing money.  If that's the case then MS has no incentive to sell it for any less, especially now with the 360 out.

The interesting thing is that their plan is apparently working.  The retailer I work at is about out of Xbox's and we won't get any more.  We've sold at least 3 - 4 the last month.

Roger: And you should know, I have no genitals.
Syndey: That's alright.  I have both.

- American Dad
corruptrelic

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 31, 2006, 08:09:07 AM »

Yeah I was wondering if they might keep it at that high price tag just to let it 'phase out' considering they aren't many new ones left in retail.
My local walmart only has 2 of them left (which have been sitting there for a while) and most of my local gamestops/eb (we have at least 50 of them in the tricounty area!) don't have new ones anymore, but the ones that do have new ones say they aren't getting any new shipments so once they're gone, they're gone for good.
I wonder if that will make the original Xbox more of a difficult system to come by, and if I should get one now before it really is too late. But still, $180 is a big price tag when you compare it to the PS2 at $130 or even the last Xbox price tag - which was $149.99. I could care less about forza and in my mind I'm paying 50 bucks for a game that might get $3 trade-in credit.

Still, I don't think there's ever been a game I've enjoyed as much on a console as Counter-Strike, online and off.

"A gladiator does not fear death. He embraces it. Caresses it. Fucks it. Every time he enters the arena, he slides his cock into the mouth of the beast."
stiffler

View Profile WWW
« Reply #3 on: July 31, 2006, 08:10:25 AM »

I wouldn't expect to see them drop in price unless they have a glut of them.  They've stopped making them and, as Sarkus said, they are still losing quite a bit of money on each unit.  There really isn't any incentive to drop the price is there?  I'm sure it pushes a few people towards a 360 (even if it would push bargain hunters to the PS2).

I have XBMC running on mine.  If they ever did drop in price, or if I knew someone looking to get rid of theirs, I'd probably buy another one.  I still have an obscene amount of Xbox titles, most of which are not backwards compatible, so I definately want a system to play them on.

I agree with you there.  I don't think I have the courage to buy a used Xbox unless I knew and trusted the owner.  I hope mine stays healthy!

You are the final judge on what it's worth.  If you have the money and those games mean that much to you then go for it.  It wouldn't be my first choice this late in the game, but there is a huge library out there and it sounds like you really want one so why not?

Xbox Live Gamertag: cstiffler
ATB

Thanks for everything, Ryan. 1979-2013

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 31, 2006, 12:56:01 PM »

I'm bitter at the way MS has abandoned the XBOX. Bitter.  It's a slap in the face, IMO.  I have a backlog of a bout 10 games still to be played on it and I will get to them, but between the DS and the PS2 it gets almost no attention now and it's partially because nothing is coming out for it.

As for the pricing, it's weird that they'd go up....stupid.  MS has given up on last gen while PS2 is still cranking.
Destructor
Special Project Group

▲▲▼▼◄►◄►B A Start

View Profile WWW
« Reply #5 on: July 31, 2006, 01:44:37 PM »

Quote from: "stiffler"
I have XBMC running on mine.

I still debate on doing that modification to my Xbox, considering that I never play Live with it anymore. It would give the console a bit more life at least.

"All opinions posted are my own, and not those of my employers, who are appalled."
Zarkon

View Profile WWW
« Reply #6 on: July 31, 2006, 02:26:12 PM »

I use XBMC on mine also.  Watch my TV shows and anime fansubs on it.  That, and download movie trailers from Quicktime, and a few other nifty features.

Heck, the newest version of XMBC has a 360 skin. biggrin
The_Man

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: July 31, 2006, 02:43:03 PM »

Go to Gamestop/EB and buy a used one and then buy the $9.99 1 year warranty.  You really can't go wrong this way.  If ANYTHING happens to it in that year, simply take it back to the store and they'll give you another one, no questions asked. To me, that's almost better than getting a new one, because new ones fail too.  So for a total of $110.00 + tax you can have the piece of mind that you got a new one, but at a lot better price.

Ask the Gamestop/EB guy to let you pick out the one you want.  Most of the time, they'll try and get you the nicest one they have in stock.
corruptrelic

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: July 31, 2006, 07:29:44 PM »

Ask the Gamestop/EB guy to let you pick out the one you want. Most of the time, they'll try and get you the nicest one they have in stock.

Thanks for that bit of advice. Doing a search for xbox systems in my county brings up 4 stores (out of about 20+) that say they have them. 3 of them say 1-3 in stock, and the other one (a brand new store) says 4+.
I called up the first 3, 2 of them said they had none, the other one said it was a 2001 model. (Not a chance in hell I'm taking a 2001 model!)
I took a drive to the new store, only about 2 miles from my house (gamestops are popping up all over the place in broward county florida) and they had a bunch of display boxes out, used/refurbished xbox's, 360's, ps2's, psp's,etc.. I asked if he had Xbox's and he said yes but only refurbished ones for $100.
Great, I asked if I could get at least a 2004 or later model. Guy said he coudn't open the boxes to check that.
Then he went into the back and changed his mind and said they dont have any. WTF?
He said another store had a bunch of used ones in stock at a nearby mall, called it, and they said they had none in stock.

Honestly, it's becoming more and more increasingly difficult to find the original Xbox. Even if I had to go down to even a 2003 model (I'm still hoping to find a 2005 one) if I bought the $10 warranty, the way things are looking now, most gamestops/eb dont even have any xbox's in stock at all. A few of them still have the new forza bundle but $180 is asking a little more than I'm prepared to pay right now.

I'm at the point of even considering trading my PSP in to get an Xbox.. damn MS for fracking around on the backwards compatiblity!

Dafones

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: July 31, 2006, 08:02:14 PM »

Out of sheer curiosity, I decided to check out the Future Shop (ie Best Buy Canada) website to see what they were pricing Xboes at, and they don't even list them any more. I'm surprised, but not surprised, at the same time. Welcome to the Next Gen?

Now Playing: GTA - San Andreas [PS2]
Yoshi's Island DS [DS]
Misguided
Gaming Trend Staff

Semi-acquatic egg-laying mammal of action

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: July 31, 2006, 10:42:43 PM »

No used or refurb xbox units in stock? That's crazy. Don't think in either of the stores I've worked in over the last 9 months  don't think we've ever had that happen for more than a couple of days.

Incidentally, in the state of Florida, Gamestop's warranty is 2 years, not 1.

Ruining language with my terrible words.
KC

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: July 31, 2006, 10:54:41 PM »

Will MS still repair a broken Xbox if you pay them?  I have a launch day Xbox and haven't had any problems.  I did have one dirty disk error about a month ago though . . .

Also, I take it that when buying a used Xbox, the later the manufacture date, the better?
Darren8r

I like video games

View Profile WWW
« Reply #12 on: August 01, 2006, 06:54:20 AM »

Quote from: "corruptrelic"
Why is the first Xbox still $180?

To make money. Micro-$-oft.

Now Playing: Skyrim
PS3: Darrenzo- (don't forget the dash at the end)
jimmyorr99

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: August 01, 2006, 12:53:39 PM »

It's these tactics that make me happy I signed up for gamefly. I save so much by renting from them. That means that console prices really aren't that bad anymore now that I can rent for such a cheap price and don't have to worry about the $60 purchase price.

if you strike me down, i will become more powerful than you can ever imagine.
hepcat

I'M the one that knocks! Now...burp me!

View Profile
« Reply #14 on: August 02, 2006, 03:45:04 PM »

Quote from: "Zarkon"
I use XBMC on mine also.  Watch my TV shows and anime fansubs on it.  That, and download movie trailers from Quicktime, and a few other nifty features.

i did that up until about a month ago.  then i bought a Philips upconverting DVD player for about 70 bucks for my new HD TV.  didn't like the audio (no optical digital) but before i returned it i tried out the USB port on the front of it.  plugged in an external hard drive and that bad boy played videos (xvid, divx, pretty much anything i threw at it), music, etc. with no problem.  plus, the video looks far better than my xbox xbmc.  now i'm keeping that and retiring my xbmc.   :wink:

Warning:  You will see my penis. -Brian

Just remember: once a user figures out gluten noting them they're allowed to make fun of you. - Ceekay speaking in tongues.
ChaoZ

View Profile
« Reply #15 on: August 02, 2006, 04:34:45 PM »

Quote from: "hepcat"

i did that up until about a month ago.  then i bought a Philips upconverting DVD player for about 70 bucks for my new HD TV.  didn't like the audio (no optical digital) but before i returned it i tried out the USB port on the front of it.  plugged in an external hard drive and that bad boy played videos (xvid, divx, pretty much anything i threw at it), music, etc. with no problem.  plus, the video looks far better than my xbox xbmc.  now i'm keeping that and retiring my xbmc.   :wink:

What model of player? I'll be very interested in that.
-Lord Ebonstone-
BANNED

get naked

View Profile WWW
« Reply #16 on: August 02, 2006, 05:01:35 PM »

I'd happily throw $100-$125 at someone for an XBox.  It'd be a nice pirat--I mean, emulati--I mean, uh, Media Center.

xbl tag = cthonic horror

NNNOOOOOO!!
hepcat

View Profile
« Reply #17 on: August 02, 2006, 05:45:25 PM »

Quote from: "ChaoZ"
Quote from: "hepcat"

What model of player? I'll be very interested in that.

it's this one:

http://www.bestbuy.com/site/olspage.jsp?skuId=7686097&type=product&productCategoryId=cat03013&id=1134703758550

about 70 or 80 bucks at CC and BB's.  it doesn't say anything about the DIVX compatibility in the BB description, and the manual states that you can only use the USB port for reading music and displaying photos, but they're both wrong.  that baby plays everything i have from an external HD through the front USB port on the player.

P.S. There's a 50 dollar version of this player that comes without HD upconversion.  if you don't need the HD stuff, check to see if that player does all the divx stuff AND has the USB port on the face panel.  i'm pretty sure it does.

Just remember: once a user figures out gluten noting them they're allowed to make fun of you. - Ceekay speaking in tongues.
stiffler

View Profile WWW
« Reply #18 on: August 02, 2006, 08:12:57 PM »

Very nice.  Does it have any problem with folders?  I don't have any experience with something like this.  Does it have a GUI on screen or something to select files?  Finally, does it come with an HDMI cable?

My local Best Buy has it in stock.  Might have to buy one of these since I've been using the 360 as a DVD player in my room.

hepcat

View Profile
« Reply #19 on: August 02, 2006, 08:40:59 PM »

Quote from: "stiffler"
Very nice.  Does it have any problem with folders?  I don't have any experience with something like this.  Does it have a GUI on screen or something to select files?  Finally, does it come with an HDMI cable?

My local Best Buy has it in stock.  Might have to buy one of these since I've been using the 360 as a DVD player in my room.

no problem with folder structures that i can see.  it suffers from the 8.3 naming limitation, but that's pretty standard.  

When you plug in an external drive to the USB port while the unit's turned on, you get a prompt to push the USB connect button (a button on the remote below FF).  then it pauses for about a minute to read the drive (i have almost 200 gig worth of data on an external 250 gig HD i plugged into it and it came back with a browser window in about a minute and a half), and finally just gives you a browser window you can use the remote to navigate through.

I've only had it stutter a few times while playing a divx file, and there's been a few files that were using some offbeat codec or something that wouldn't play.  however, that didn't crash it (as it sometimes would my xbmc) and it would simply pause for a few minutes and come back with the directory.

it has HDMI and Component outputs/inputs, as well as S video and the aforementioned USB.  however, like most HD stuff, you have to purchase an HDMI cable seperately.  DON'T BUY FROM A B&M STORE IF YOU DO!  go to monoprice.com or some other online retailer and pay 15 to 20 bucks instead of 70 to 100.

the only realy caveat i can offer on the unit is that i wouldn't recommend it as your primary DVD player.  the image quality off DVD's is better off my old 480p panasonic player, and the lack of a digital optical output means i can't play DTS or dolby digital in general, making do with simple Pro Logic II.

however, as a cheap way of getting divx, xvid, mp3, and other multimedia files to your tv with a minimum of fuss, it can't be beat.   :wink:

stiffler

View Profile WWW
« Reply #20 on: August 02, 2006, 08:49:30 PM »

Thanks for the answers, Hepcat.  I have to imagine the image quality is at least on par with the Xbox/Xbox 360 it will be replacing.

The reason I asked about HDMI cables was that very reason.  I wanted to order online instead of getting slapped with a Monster cable that costs more than the unit itself!  And no digital audio isn't a big deal since I live in an apartment and don't even have my stereo hooked up.

Sounds like a great little unit.

I have a pair of external USB drive enclosures with removable drive bays and a stack of drives with stuff on it.  It will be nice to be able to play it on the TV where I can kick back and relax.  I've just been too lazy to convert and burn it to DVD.

jimmyorr99

View Profile
« Reply #21 on: August 03, 2006, 02:55:23 PM »

Quote from: "-Lord Ebonstone-"
I'd happily throw $100-$125 at someone for an XBox.  It'd be a nice pirat--I mean, emulati--I mean, uh, Media Center.
Yeah, that's all mine is going now.  Cool

if you strike me down, i will become more powerful than you can ever imagine.
Zero

View Profile
« Reply #22 on: August 03, 2006, 09:15:13 PM »

I still have my old xbox, and plan on keeping it even after getting a 360.  With the amount of "mods" and "hacks" available on this thing, its just worth keeping.  I love XBMC, and then all the emulation!  I miss all of the old consoles and the emulation makes it so worth it.  Also with the number of games I own for this thing, it just can't be beat.  Although, I should think about getting another one...this one is like a 2002 model smile
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: