http://gamingtrend.com
April 23, 2014, 11:09:54 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Why in hell do people still refer this gen as next gen?!? Aren't we past that?  (Read 292 times)
Harpua3
Gaming Trend Senior Member

View Profile
« on: April 30, 2012, 07:04:55 AM »

So whats the correct cutoff point as to calling a console or piece of technology next gen? I still see some people referring to this generation as next gen. That's plain silly, it's been in or living rooms for years... Any insight on this baffling situation?
TiLT

Preaching to the choir

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1 on: April 30, 2012, 07:50:44 AM »

It's just because people use words without thinking about their meaning. To most people "next-gen" is just a word like any other. I don't hear people use it about the current generation very often any more, but I make sure to point it out when they do.
Rumpy

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 30, 2012, 08:22:36 AM »

Yeah, what Tilt said. I also think it depends on the kind of social circles people have. I just call it "current gen" and leave it at that. I consider the Next Gen XBox 720, PS4, and Wii U.
EddieA

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 30, 2012, 10:23:04 AM »

There's not much to talk about regarding the actual next-gen consoles, so people keep using "next-gen" to refer to the current generation.  Once there's enough to discuss regarding the PS4, etc. then "next-gen" will slowly shift to refer to those systems.

"Why did the chicken cross the Mobius strip?  To get to the same side."  - The Big Bang Theory
Turtle

View Profile WWW
« Reply #4 on: April 30, 2012, 11:50:55 AM »

So, anyone else excited about future consoles? At first I thought it would be ho hum, but I got to thinking...

There were a lot of technologies that have come out that are now commonplace, but not so well used.

Stuff like 64 bit architecture, GPU based computing, tesselation, and more.

64 bit has been a slow transition, it's still happening, but imagine console games taking full advantage of that.

The same goes for GPU based computing, aka using the GPU to handle computations other than graphics through custom instructions for the GPU. Doing custom processing work with chips not originally intended to do so is one of the ways that consoles had traditionally seemed to increase in power as the console cycle went along. People would do crazy stuff like use the sound chip to do graphics processing.

Then there's things like additional memory, which is a big limitation on current consoles, which amazingly run on just 512mb.
« Last Edit: April 30, 2012, 12:06:50 PM by Turtle » Logged
kronovan

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 30, 2012, 07:00:49 PM »

Quote from: EddieA on April 30, 2012, 10:23:04 AM

There's not much to talk about regarding the actual next-gen consoles, so people keep using "next-gen" to refer to the current generation.

Yup, I think we're seeing the term used longer this gen by some gamers because all of the consoles have pushed through the traditional 5 year console gen window. Heck even Ninty missed it for the 1st time in history. I think the stretched life cycle and lack of hype around the next Sony and MS consoles has kept this current gen as more "next gen" for longer than what`s typical. Considering that 1 of the 3 major players released  a console that was behind the tech curve day 1, overall the state of console gaming is far, far away from next gen."  slywink
Pyperkub

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: April 30, 2012, 07:03:45 PM »

Amazingly enough, no.

I'm more concerned about the use of drm and dlc to control what is already a closed platform.  I think the value add of the new architectures is not going to be as great as the leap to hd and consumers will lose more options.

CoD X-treme will cost $ 60, will have a 2GB day one patch, multiplayer will be a additional cost(with another 2 GB download) probably include it's own subscription fee, any cool weapons will be available only for a fee and you'll still be paying with the same teenagers.

Ok, maybe I'm a bit jaded, but I'm thinking about skipping the next generation.

Pardon me, but that is a .... damn fine cup of coffee.
Purge
Gaming Trend Staff

Thirty. Minutes.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #7 on: April 30, 2012, 07:04:51 PM »

Quote from: Harpua3 on April 30, 2012, 07:04:55 AM

So whats the correct cutoff point as to calling a console or piece of technology next gen? I still see some people referring to this generation as next gen. That's plain silly, it's been in or living rooms for years... Any insight on this baffling situation?

It's that kind of last-gen thinking that creates confusion.

slywink

"If it weren't for Philo T. Farnsworth, inventor of television, we'd still be eating frozen radio dinners." - Johnny Carson
Pyperkub

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: April 30, 2012, 07:05:48 PM »

Many people still aren't playing on HD sets and I think that really is the reason these are still considered next gen.

Pardon me, but that is a .... damn fine cup of coffee.
CeeKay
Gaming Trend Staff

La-bibbida-bibba-dum! La-bibbida-bibba-do!

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: April 30, 2012, 07:05:50 PM »

So whats the correct cutoff point as to calling a console or piece of technology next gen?

you have to wait for the next paradigm shift.

Because I can,
also because I don't care what you want.
XBL: OriginalCeeKay
Wii U: CeeKay
Teggy

Eat lightsaber, jerks!

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: April 30, 2012, 07:11:59 PM »

I thought people called it "current-gen". Is there someone in particular that's calling it next gen?

"Is there any chance your jolly Garchomp is female?" - Wonderpug
wonderpug

hmm...

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: April 30, 2012, 08:16:15 PM »

When will gen be now?

Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: