http://gamingtrend.com
October 21, 2014, 05:24:13 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Poll
Question: Do you like the Hitman series?  (Voting closed: April 07, 2006, 08:17:10 AM)
Fiber-wire FTW! - 6 (30%)
Heavens no. - 7 (35%)
I'd be Ellen Pompeo's "hit-man" any day of the week. - 7 (35%)
Total Voters: 20

Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Why do I hate the Hitman series?  (Read 1115 times)
TheMissingLink
Gaming Trend Senior Member

TML, for short.

View Profile
« on: April 07, 2006, 08:15:21 AM »

Because it could be SO GOOD, it really could!

I just played the Hitman: Blood Money demo that came with OXM and wow, where do I start:

A) Hand-holding.  TO THE EXTREME.  No clue if it's going to be like this in the retail game (hope not), but every single thing you do is told in the upper-right corner.  And I mean EVERYTHING.  Open door.  Dispose of bodies.  Climb up ladder.

B) First words of dialogue when meeting the first character in game, "What the fuck do you want, cracka?"  When games start out throwing out an f-bomb, I'm always cautious, because it seems like they're trying to hard for that edgy-vibe.  

C) To go along with B, the absolute generalization of African Americans bothered me.  Some of the dialogue with what they say to each other, the stuff they talk about; it's totally not needed in this game.  It just seemed to villian-ize African Americans, for no real reason other than it's been done before.  That annoyed me.

D) Incredibly linear.

I've tried every Hitman game.  The demo of every Hitman game, at least.  And all it does is make me dislike Eidos / IO Interactive that much more because playing a badass hitman would be just about the coolest thing ever IF DONE RIGHT.    

And by right I'm talking about a game that plays and controls smoothly, a game that gives me real research on the target I'm taking out and a somewhat free-form-way to take my assignment out.

Any Hitman fans here?  Anyone else give the OXM demo a spin?  By the way, the OXM demo disc is so pathetic this month - just this demo and Timeshift, which is AWFUL, btw.

TheMissingLink on PSN
Nth Power

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: April 07, 2006, 08:33:19 AM »

I've only played through the tutorial of the first Hitman game on the PC and that was a long time ago.   I'd say that's not enough to judge the game.  Therefore, Ellen trumps the scary bald man.

"Those who can make you believe absurdities can make you commit atrocities" -Voltaire
XBL gamertag: NthPowr
WinoMcCougarstein

View Profile WWW
« Reply #2 on: April 07, 2006, 08:48:29 AM »

I had some free rental coupons so I rented one of the Hitman games for the xbox.  I think it was the 2nd one.  I played it for about 30 minutes total over the rental period.  I couldnt stand it.

Knightshade Dragon
Administrator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #3 on: April 07, 2006, 08:59:17 AM »

I saw Blood Money at E3 and it seems that the levels past the tutorial don't give you the handholding nonsense.  You are free to 'cause accidents' in any way you see fit.  Unless that has changed, that is.  I'm eagerly awaiting the next one, and I'll see it again at E3 before its release, so I'll be able to get you the skinny before you have to lay down the cash.

As for the other points (other than D, thats addressed above), that just seems like a pretty crappy thing for a game.  I hope its not all like that.  We'll know soon though!

Ron Burke
EiC, Director of Gaming Trend
Gamertag:
Gaming Trend
PS3 Tag: GamingTrend
warning

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 07, 2006, 11:21:15 AM »

I've tried to play all the Hitman games and never lasted more than an hour or two.  I don't know what it is but they bore me.
ATB

Thanks for everything, Ryan. 1979-2013

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 07, 2006, 12:31:12 PM »

Ditto. I can't deal with the hitman either.  So blech.
Kevin Grey
Global Moderator

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: April 07, 2006, 01:04:42 PM »

Quote from: "TheMissingLink"

A) Hand-holding.  TO THE EXTREME.  No clue if it's going to be like this in the retail game (hope not), but every single thing you do is told in the upper-right corner.  And I mean EVERYTHING.  Open door.  Dispose of bodies.  Climb up ladder.

The only Hitman game I've spent any time with is Hitman 2 (which I played quite a bit of) and my memory is that the levels were usually extremely large with tons of different ways of going about the objectives.
Andrew Mallon

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: April 07, 2006, 03:02:44 PM »

I've tried every Hitman game. The demo of every Hitman game, at least. And all it does is make me dislike Eidos / IO Interactive that much more because playing a badass hitman would be just about the coolest thing ever IF DONE RIGHT.

And by right I'm talking about a game that plays and controls smoothly, a game that gives me real research on the target I'm taking out and a somewhat free-form-way to take my assignment out.

To be honest with you, it sounds like you haven't really given the Hitman series much of a chance, because what you describe you want is pretty much what the Hitman series is.

Your comment about hand-holding couldn't be farther from the truth. At least in Hitman 2 and 3, you're essentially deposited in a level where you are assigned a target. You then have to wander through the level, find the target and eliminate him.

There's nothing at all linear about how you take down the target. First off, you're rated on how well you complete your mission. You can actually go through the entire game pretty quickly if you just find the target pull out a gun and blow him away and then race for the exit point. It's a viable strategy, but not the most fun way to play the game.

To get the top rating you have to find your man, take him out and dispose of the body where no one can find it and escape the level all without being detected. The levels always have multiple ways to complete your objectives and, most importantly, getting the highest rating is extremely difficult.

They're decent games. The series is certainly far more open-ended than Splinter Cell, for example. I thought the first couple of games did have some gratuitious sex and violence, but the core gameplay is sound.
Jumangi

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: April 07, 2006, 04:03:49 PM »

I agree about the open end gameplay(at least comapred to what most games offer). I only really played Hitman 2 on the PC but I liked it. The levels wern't huge but they didn give you more than one way to go about doing things. The one thing that annoyed me was the movement with that whole constantly sliding to a stop thing he did.
Thin_J

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: April 08, 2006, 05:56:28 AM »

These games always feel like they have potential, but they never actually reach that potential.

And I still think the Hitman series is one of the worst controlling sets of games I've ever played. The controls were easily the reason I stopped playing the second one before I ever got through the second or third level. I honestly don't remember which.

And this is from a guy who got really good at Armored Core, despite it's clunky control scheme.

Hitman had an okay button layout, it just controlled badly anyway. Kind of like the Tomb Raider games of the past.

Xbox Live: Thin J
PSN: Thin_J
phormio
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: April 09, 2006, 10:25:25 PM »

Quote from: "Thin_J"
These games always feel like they have potential, but they never actually reach that potential.

Yep, that's it.

I think the whole premise is great, and I love open-ended type games. But I've "trapped-and-released" two from the series now (once on the PS2 & once on the Xbox), and I'm done. They just never seem to turn that corner and live up to their (considerable IMO) potential.

"My fake plants died because I did not pretend to water them." --Mitch Hedberg
Darren8r

I like video games

View Profile WWW
« Reply #11 on: April 10, 2006, 12:19:46 AM »

Quote from: "Thin_J"

You can say that to many games. And its true.

I only played Hitman 3: Contracts for the PS2, I felt it was to hard, but then again I had a friend over and we werent really trying at all and just seeing how many headshots we could make, haha.

I played it for about 3 hours and I liked the use of Fiber Wire, or Piano Strings, whatever.

It had some cool ways of elminating your target, but I wish the player could plot out their own way.

But I feel that way about almost every game. I wish games were much more up to the user, more decision based.

Especially these type of games.

Now Playing: Skyrim
PS3: Darrenzo- (don't forget the dash at the end)
hitbyambulance

View Profile WWW
« Reply #12 on: April 11, 2006, 07:38:01 PM »

plotwise, i *hate how they wrapped it up at the end of the first game, then made a somewhat plausible excuse for a sequel - then when it really should have ended there, kept going with two more titles.  bleh.
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: