http://gamingtrend.com
July 23, 2014, 11:49:43 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Why do games look like crap on my new TV?  (Read 2027 times)
Natjak
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« on: January 17, 2005, 11:46:36 PM »

Bought a 44" RP LCD Zenith TV and all of the games I try on it look bad.

Am I doing something wrong? I have 480p, 720p and 1080i enabled on the Xbox and on NFL 2k5 the players have jaggies and seem to shimmer a bit. I'm using the Xbox high def cables as well. PS2 games look even worse, which is undrestandable.

Is this a normal effect because it's widescreen? I just thought for the money i would be getting a crystal clear picture, especially considering my last TV was not a HDTV. Any thoughts or ideas?
leo8877
Gaming Trend Senior Member

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: January 18, 2005, 12:45:53 AM »

I was going to say cables, but if you have that, then I don't know what could be the problem. :\
Doopri

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 18, 2005, 01:08:40 AM »

Hmm guesses and preference here...

are you sure the tv supports 480 or anythin above that?  Not all HD do (zenith?). - though i did think the majority of the lcds did.

plus and this is just me - but I never thought LCD tvs looked nearly as good as plasma or even the regular old HD - i think the tech still is playin catch up as far as image quality goes
Dimmona

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 18, 2005, 01:13:04 AM »

Are you absolutely sure that the signal is being displayed as hi-def on your television?  Even with interference, you shouldn't be getting a shimmering effect if you are using the component cables in a progressive scan mode.

Are you using the hi-def Xbox cables only out of the Xbox, or do you have two sets going to your TV (I can't remember if its even possible to have 2 vid outputs out of the Xbox anymore)?

Some tests to try:
1) Easiest is to pop in a 720p/1080i game if you have one... you should notice a visibly higher resolution picture.   If you are still getting a shimmering effect while in 720p/1080i... well, I dunno - I've never heard of that before smile

2) If you don't have any high resolution games on hand, you can try switching the Xbox system menu to hi-def and see if you notice a difference.
a. Make sure you have the latest Xbox live system update.  This can be obtained by either connecting to Xbox Live, or else having a fairly new Xbox.
b. Be sure that 480p is enabled in the video settings.
c. While holding down the L+R triggers, click both thumbsticks at the same time.  You should see the video mode on your television switch over to 480p.  Check your HDTV documentation to figure out how to check the current video setting on the TV itself.

3) What model Zenith are you using?

Xbox Live tag: Dimmona
DS WiFi Friends Codes
Wii Code: 6091 9321 3340 8417
Xbox360 Gamer Card
gellar

I'm a dolphin!

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 18, 2005, 01:17:45 AM »

Well, if you're coming from a smallish TV to a 44" TV, the XBox games will inherently look worse.  480p is technically not a Hi Def standard, nor does it that good when blown up big.  It looks better than 480i when blown up big, but it's still fairly pixelated.  The smaller TVs hide that better because the pixels are smaller.  720p and 1080i are huge steps up, but very few XBox games support those resolutions.

gellar
Dimmona

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 18, 2005, 01:21:13 AM »

gellar's right, that unless you are playing a 720p/1080i game the amount of 'jaggies' will be the same (although the picture will still look much sharper, giving it a crisper 'higher resolution' look).

However, the fact that you mentioned that you see shimmering makes me think that it's not being displayed at 480p....

Xbox Live tag: Dimmona
DS WiFi Friends Codes
Wii Code: 6091 9321 3340 8417
Xbox360 Gamer Card
EngineNo9

I said good day, sir!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #6 on: January 18, 2005, 01:30:41 AM »

Just a reminder if you're looking for what games support what resolutions: HDTV Arcade.

Offhand, I have MX Unleashed which I know supports up to 1080i.

Sandwiches do fix everything.
Natjak
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: January 18, 2005, 03:20:55 AM »

Ok the model of TV I have is the  E44W46LCD more info here

When I pull both triggers and click both sticks in the dashboard, one looks better than the other but nothing comes up saying it's in 480p mode. Also I see nothing in the manual or the menu that tells you what the signal is currently being output at.

I don't have any 720p or 1080i games but I used Jak II and turned progressive scan on. It looked better.
Laner

Badassfully

View Profile WWW
« Reply #8 on: January 18, 2005, 06:34:05 AM »

Have you calibrated your set with Avia Guide to Home Theater (or something similar?)  I have yet to see a TV that looks good out of the box without some major tweaking.
Purge
Gaming Trend Staff

Thirty. Minutes.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #9 on: January 18, 2005, 02:42:01 PM »

It's too bad the manual for your TV doesn't have a "Display" button to tell you what mode you're in.

Oh, rent Amped 2 and play it; 720p is gorgeous. (I'm on a 51" HDTV RP Hitachi). Yes, there are jaggies but they're not nearly as bad as 480i.

Now you can play splinter cell and see his toolbelt move based on his actions. Oooooo. biggrin

"If it weren't for Philo T. Farnsworth, inventor of television, we'd still be eating frozen radio dinners." - Johnny Carson
PaulBot

View Profile WWW
« Reply #10 on: January 18, 2005, 07:09:24 PM »

You need to sit at least 50 feet away from the TV, then your games will look great.

CEO of the GT Post Padders Club
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: