http://gamingtrend.com
December 18, 2014, 07:27:22 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: [1] 2   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Why cant I get back into PS1 RPGs?  (Read 3632 times)
Calvin
Gaming Trend Senior Member

President of G.R.O.S.S.

View Profile
« on: January 21, 2005, 08:09:28 PM »

So I have a few PS1 RPGs I never played/finished sitting around and I am in a bit of a gaming slump, however, the last few times I have tried to get back into them, I just sort of fizzle out..I dunno if its because I think they are slow, if its because I am such an unabashed graphics whore, because I am a bad human being, or what...just looking for some thoughts...
Here is my list of stuff:

PS1:
FF9 (8 hours in, did a bunch of stuff in that big city but I got bored wandering around the city, ALexandria maybe?)
FF8 (haven't started it yet)
FF7 (Started it about 10 times, CANNOT get into it)
FFTactics (tried it once for about an hour, got killed, gave it up)
ChronoCross (about 10 hours in, wandering around some castle got bored and quit)

GCN:
Skies of Arcadia Legends (I genuinly like this game, i really do. I played like half of it on the DC, and half again on GCN, but for some reason I just keep getting frustrated or bored with the goddamn random combat encounters which are still ridiculously too high).

Also of course looking for tips on what other RPGs I might like!
Gratch

GO UTES!!

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: January 21, 2005, 08:45:28 PM »

I've found that I can enjoy replay PS1 RPGs that I played when they first came out.  But I have a really hard time picking up a PS1 RPG I hadn't previously played and enjoying it.  Maybe it's because the nostalgia kicks in whenever I pick up an old title (I've played through FFVII over 5 times now, and am itching to run through it again) and that makes me enjoy it more.

WestNile
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 21, 2005, 09:35:08 PM »

Almost sounds like you are just burnt out on the console RPGs all together.

I had these same problems, and thought it was because I was playing PSX RPGS, so I bought up FFX-2 and La Puccell to have some RPG fun with, and dropped both about halfway through.

I think another problem is that a lot of these games have been valorized, which makes the sequals and other games of the genre stay the same.  Instead of new, exciting gameplay features, we get the same, because everyone wants to match Final Fantasy VII (including Square themselves).

I have been hoping for a breath of fresh air to show up in this genre for a while, and am about to give up.  If Shadow Hearts doesn't grab my attention, when I get it, I will probably give them up.
Calvin

President of G.R.O.S.S.

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 21, 2005, 09:41:25 PM »

Oh dont even get me started on FFX-2. I waited a long ass time to finally find the time to sit down and play it, and I HATED IT. Way to demolish everything good and touching and meaningful out of FFX and just bastardize it.

Ugh.

Anyways, I am going to try to get back into one of them tonight, not sure which one...
warning

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 21, 2005, 10:44:57 PM »

Do what I do: rip your PSX CD's into an image and emulate them using epsxe.  It allows high-resolution graphics and the ability to utilize save states (allowing you to save anywhere anytime).  It can be a bit of a bugger to set up but once you've got things set up it's pretty darn cool.

I've been enjoying the heck out of the original Vandal Hearts this way.

I do *not* advocate piracy however.  Just so everyone's clear I'm talking about games I already own.
Gratch

GO UTES!!

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 21, 2005, 10:46:22 PM »

One other thought.  Remember that your basis of comparison for these games is very different than when they were originally released.  Combat systems, graphics, storylines, etc., that may have been revolutionary back in 1999 have been copied countless times since then.  It doesn't have the "wow" factor because you've already experienced it elsewhere.  If it makes you feel any better, I've tried nearly all the "classic" PS1 games that I missed the first time around.  Vagrant Story, Xenogears, Valkyrie Profile, Star Ocean 2, Wild ARMs, Front Mission, Dragon Warrior, Vandal Hearts...and not a single one of them held my attention for more than 8-10 hours.  

FWIW, it took me buying the game 3 seperate times to get into Final Fantasy Tactics.  But once I figured it out, it quickly became one of my all-time favorites.  I'd suggest poking through some of the GameFAQS guides to help you get started.

I totally agree with you about FFX-2.  That entire game was simply an abomination from start to finish.

depward

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: January 21, 2005, 11:18:22 PM »

Quote from: "Gratch"
I've found that I can enjoy replay PS1 RPGs that I played when they first came out.  But I have a really hard time picking up a PS1 RPG I hadn't previously played and enjoying it.  Maybe it's because the nostalgia kicks in whenever I pick up an old title (I've played through FFVII over 5 times now, and am itching to run through it again) and that makes me enjoy it more.

Exactly my position.  I've replayed FFIV, FFVI, Chrono Trigger and a bit of Chrono Cross several times for the ps1 namely because I loved those games when they originally came out.  But when I try to play other psx RPGs I have a hard time really getting into them.

depward on the Playstation Network
raaaaaawwwwwwr on Xbox Live
Calvin

President of G.R.O.S.S.

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: January 22, 2005, 01:23:54 AM »

Quote from: "warning"
Do what I do: rip your PSX CD's into an image and emulate them using epsxe.  It allows high-resolution graphics and the ability to utilize save states (allowing you to save anywhere anytime).  It can be a bit of a bugger to set up but once you've got things set up it's pretty darn cool.

I do *not* advocate piracy however.  Just so everyone's clear I'm talking about games I already own.

You will explain this program and how to do it...NOW!!! The only thing of this type that I ever heard of was Bleem! and we saw how that turned out.
Chrisoc13
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: January 22, 2005, 02:03:55 AM »

Quote from: "Gratch"
One other thought.  Remember that your basis of comparison for these games is very different than when they were originally released.  Combat systems, graphics, storylines, etc., that may have been revolutionary back in 1999 have been copied countless times since then.  It doesn't have the "wow" factor because you've already experienced it elsewhere.  If it makes you feel any better, I've tried nearly all the "classic" PS1 games that I missed the first time around.  Vagrant Story, Xenogears, Valkyrie Profile, Star Ocean 2, Wild ARMs, Front Mission, Dragon Warrior, Vandal Hearts...and not a single one of them held my attention for more than 8-10 hours.  

FWIW, it took me buying the game 3 seperate times to get into Final Fantasy Tactics.  But once I figured it out, it quickly became one of my all-time favorites.  I'd suggest poking through some of the GameFAQS guides to help you get started.

I totally agree with you about FFX-2.  That entire game was simply an abomination from start to finish.

Thats a really good point. Ive been playing older games lately, and it is hard to really get into them. Graphics really bug me sometimes, and you can often times just tell the games are older.
ravenvii

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: January 22, 2005, 03:06:38 AM »

Ah, the memories playing FF VII. I played that game endlessly back in the day, levelling up, levelling up the Materia, racing Chocobos to get the gold Chocobo, playing with Materia combos until I perfect one that could kill the Emerald WEAPON without me even touching the controller. That was one GREAT game, man.

Same with FF IX, although I didn't play it as extensively as I did FF VII.

FF Tactics is a bastard to learn and get into. But oh man oh man the rewards are un-****ing-believable.
semiconscious

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: January 22, 2005, 05:11:49 AM »

played thru both ff6 & tactics last year for the first time & thoroughly enjoyed both (played thru ff7&9 the year before). genuinely great games all...

i think it mostly has to do with where you're at, basically (there was nothing out there at the time that i wanted to play more), as i later failed to get into chrono cross & xenogears (both of which i know i oughta like). one thing i found helpful was getting a psone & a 5 inch flip-screen - playing them like over-sized gameboy games made the graphics easier to take smile ...

&, as for ffx-2, i enjoyed it (for what it was) very much...

"... i'm not against some 'monkey catching'... but i'd rather be collecting pants..."
- snake, 'snake vs monkey' (mgs3:se)
Eel Snave

View Profile WWW
« Reply #11 on: January 22, 2005, 05:19:44 AM »

I just picked up Chrono Cross and I am loving it.  I'm about 11 hours in so far, and it just keeps getting better and better.  I don't like random encounters, though, so that makes CC good for me.

Here's the thing:  I don't like RPG archetypes such as random battles.  It's something that was put into RPGs because they couldn't do it any other way.  Now devs do it because they're too lazy to think of any other way to do it, or people bitch when it's not there.
Fellow

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: January 22, 2005, 06:40:14 AM »

I highly recommend doing this.

X360 Gamertag: LuckyFellow
PS3: Fellow
Nintendo Wii: 2484 8443 5009 9425
Kevin Grey
Global Moderator

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: January 22, 2005, 07:07:16 AM »

I seem to have managed to suppress my "inner graphics whore" and have enjoyed quite a few SNES and PS1 era games in the last year with little difficulty.  Part of it is that I find much of the graphics from that era still impressive given the constraints of the hardware.
warning

View Profile
« Reply #14 on: January 22, 2005, 07:30:49 AM »

Quote from: "Rage"

You will explain this program and how to do it...NOW!!! The only thing of this type that I ever heard of was Bleem! and we saw how that turned out.

Heh.  Well you start by going to epsxe.com and downloading the main program.  It's an emulator for the original Playstation that enhances things quite a bit.  The emulation's not perfect (occasional bugs or graphic glitches for example) but overall it's a good option.  There are some tutorials that will walk you through how to configure things and you will need to also download some plugins (video, CD, sound & input).  The forums are a good place to get help as well.

This guy (link) has an extremely helpful site that walks you through configuring the plugins with the correct settings to get many popular RPG's to work: Chrono Cross, Xenogears, Final Fantasy 7, 8 & 9, are all playable and he shows you how.

If you get stuck or have trouble finding any files let me know.

And Rage you never replied to my PM regarding whether you were still selling your Gamecube!  Huh?   :wink:
Calvin

President of G.R.O.S.S.

View Profile
« Reply #15 on: January 22, 2005, 08:13:29 AM »

Thanks warning, I will check it out. I am not currently selling the cube any more, but that could change at any point in time smile
unbreakable
« Reply #16 on: January 22, 2005, 10:01:31 PM »

Im a huge fan of CT and CC, and even I found the beginning of Chrono Cross hard to get into.  I was going to replay it last year, and stopped before I got to the castle.  IMO, the story really doesnt pick up steam for a while.  After that, however, its great.
Calvin

President of G.R.O.S.S.

View Profile
« Reply #17 on: January 22, 2005, 10:40:02 PM »

Right now I am leaning towards getting back into FF9 or ChronoCross.
Very close behind is a foray back into the world of Arcadia or starting FF8.

Thanks for all the tips. I did visit that site Warning, but it seems REALLY complicated to get things going..is that accurate?
depward

View Profile
« Reply #18 on: January 22, 2005, 10:48:12 PM »

Quote from: "unbreakable"
Im a huge fan of CT and CC, and even I found the beginning of Chrono Cross hard to get into.  I was going to replay it last year, and stopped before I got to the castle.  IMO, the story really doesnt pick up steam for a while.  After that, however, its great.

Yeah!  The castle portion of the game REALLY bogs it down.  After that though, things pick up nicely   biggrin

I love the heck out of Chrono Trigger.  Absolutely love everything about it.  For some reason, when it first came out I rented it about 30-40 times instead of buying it . . . and beat it several times.  As of late (a couple of years back) I've been *cough* playing it on my pc *cough* and enjoying it.  Then I picked up Final Fantasy Chronicles.  And I played through IV and beat it, aside from the longer load times (which aren't THAT long compared to the load times in the Anthologies games).  But Chrono Trigger's load times are absolutely outrageous.  Even accessing the menu in the game takes like, 3-4 seconds!  Argh - never really thought that cartridges were really good in the loading aspect.

Anyways, good luck with CC.  I didn't have a Playstation duriing the psx era . . . so I missed out on FFVII, FFVIII, and FFIV.  But about 3 months ago I played through FFVII (why did everyone think that this was better than VI?!  Or even IV?  I dunno, maybe because I grew up playing the older ones I'm impartial) and it was a pretty fantastic game.  Tried VIII - couldn't get into it.  Played IV for about 6 hours, and couldn't get into it.  SO I feel your pain Rage   biggrin

depward on the Playstation Network
raaaaaawwwwwwr on Xbox Live
warning

View Profile
« Reply #19 on: January 23, 2005, 12:27:17 AM »

Thanks for all the tips. I did visit that site Warning, but it seems REALLY complicated to get things going..is that accurate?

Well I figured it out so it can't be *that* complicated!

And it's worth it just for the ability to use save states to save anywhere.  That's my #1 gripe about console games.
Calvin

President of G.R.O.S.S.

View Profile
« Reply #20 on: January 23, 2005, 12:41:52 AM »

Ok i got it dled, got the plugins, etc, installed it, tried to configure it, went and loaded FF9 and it just hung on the black screen...
argh hate complicated stuff smile
TheMissingLink

TML, for short.

View Profile
« Reply #21 on: January 23, 2005, 03:04:55 AM »

I've been trying to get it to work for an hour now.  Tried various plug-ins, tutorials, still get the black screen.  *sigh*

TheMissingLink on PSN
Fellow

View Profile
« Reply #22 on: January 23, 2005, 04:30:18 AM »

Hmmh... Which game are you trying to get to work, TML?

warning

View Profile
« Reply #23 on: January 23, 2005, 04:43:02 AM »

Ok i got it dled, got the plugins, etc, installed it, tried to configure it, went and loaded FF9 and it just hung on the black screen...
argh hate complicated stuff smile

Make sure you're using version 1.52 of epsxe.  I find the games run best when I make and ISO rather than use the actual disc itself.

Make sure you're following this guide: http://www.lordkane.co.uk/epsxeconfigs.php
vagabond
BANNED
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #24 on: January 23, 2005, 06:03:28 AM »

Skies of Arcadia was a great game, I also could not finish because the frequency of the random encounters. The entire time I was thinking wouldn't it be cool just to cruise around the skies and fight other ships, kinda like crimson skies. But, you couldn't even enjoy flying around because you kept getting attacked every ten seconds.

I tried, chrono cross, vagrant story, wild arms 3, FF-9, got about halfway through FF-7 before it lost me. I have 8 but I haven't ever fired it up. I couldn't get into any of them. To me they were far inferior to the roleplaying games from the PC and since I never had a PS or played any of the games in that era I didn't have anything to draw me in.

TheMissingLink

TML, for short.

View Profile
« Reply #25 on: January 23, 2005, 06:58:00 AM »

After an hour or so, I finally got it to work.  PHEW!

TheMissingLink on PSN
Calvin

President of G.R.O.S.S.

View Profile
« Reply #26 on: January 23, 2005, 07:06:04 AM »

Could you tell me how TML? Still zippy, and I am not sure how to make an ISO of these games.
TheMissingLink

TML, for short.

View Profile
« Reply #27 on: January 23, 2005, 10:03:27 AM »

I just run it off of the cdrom...I had a problem with my sound plugin.  I finally got the Eternal SPU Plugin 1.41 and it's all good here.

TheMissingLink on PSN
Fellow

View Profile
« Reply #28 on: January 23, 2005, 04:41:07 PM »

Run what off??! WHAT?!! WHAAAAATT?!?!?! WHAT IS THIS MAGICAL 'IT', TML???? TELL ME, TELL ME DAMN YOU!!!! (....FF9, right?)

Anyways, you can run it off of the cd-rom, but it might cause some added slowdowns here'n there, or whatnot. In other words, the thing won't be as smooth as you may like.

I think both Nero, and CloneCD offer an easy way of creating CD Images, and they both have trial versions you can download, so go ahead and take advantage of them.

Calvin

President of G.R.O.S.S.

View Profile
« Reply #29 on: January 23, 2005, 10:39:29 PM »

Guys this is pissing me off. I got a custom CD file, the recommended bios, a custom video thingy, and set everythinb bascially to default and I cannot get anything to run.

Can you post the filenames of your cd, video, and sound thingies? i did get the sound file that TML posted above.
TheMissingLink

TML, for short.

View Profile
« Reply #30 on: January 23, 2005, 11:16:36 PM »

My video is Pete's DX6 D3D Driver 1.75 and my sound is Xeven's Cdr Driver 0.93.

I gotta figure out how to burn a cd onto my HD then I can just store up PSX games I have without having to lug them around everywhere.  Is there an easy way to do this using Nero or Daemon Tools or something?

TheMissingLink on PSN
Calvin

President of G.R.O.S.S.

View Profile
« Reply #31 on: January 23, 2005, 11:32:42 PM »

Did you do anything special to the video settings and are you using keyboard successfully? thanks!
Fellow

View Profile
« Reply #32 on: January 23, 2005, 11:53:11 PM »

1. Get Isobuster. It's freeware.
2. Put in PSX disc.
3. Load up Isobuster.
4. Right click CD, select Extract CD <Image> / RAW (bin, iso)
5. Name image to your desire, and choose its location.
6. Once finished, load up ePSXe, select to load from Image, point to image.
7. ...
8. Profit.

Calvin

President of G.R.O.S.S.

View Profile
« Reply #33 on: January 24, 2005, 12:26:13 AM »

Ok this is great,  I got FF9 working, but it was WAAAY too fast-any advice on this?

Thanks for the ISO info FEllow, very useful.

I also realized of course, that it is silly to restart FF9 and CC since I Have like 20 hours into those games on the mem cards-so I will be starting new games only on the EPSX smile

If this works well, I may think hard about getting that adapter so I can use the PS2 controller on the PC.
Fellow

View Profile
« Reply #34 on: January 24, 2005, 12:51:25 AM »

I ran into that problem in the beginning as well, Rage.

What you have to do, is go to the video configurations, and in there, under Framerate category, check the Use FPS Limit, and then write in 60 for FPS limit (10-200).

Basically, this allows you to control how many frames per sec it displays (only a problem for those whose machines are on the very beefy side). Higher the FPS, faster the game. Etc. etc.

TheMissingLink

TML, for short.

View Profile
« Reply #35 on: January 24, 2005, 01:15:02 AM »

Ok this is great,  I got FF9 working, but it was WAAAY too fast-any advice on this?

Thanks for the ISO info FEllow, very useful.

I also realized of course, that it is silly to restart FF9 and CC since I Have like 20 hours into those games on the mem cards-so I will be starting new games only on the EPSX smile

If this works well, I may think hard about getting that adapter so I can use the PS2 controller on the PC.

I have an adapter and it works magnificantly.

Thanks for the program and help, Fellow biggrin

TheMissingLink on PSN
warning

View Profile
« Reply #36 on: January 24, 2005, 01:41:22 AM »

I got mine for $10 or so from Radio Shack.  Works like a charm!

I'm glad you guys are figuring this out.  I've never tried to play any FF game on epsxe so I'm not much help there.  The ones I do play (Vandal Hearts for example) worked immediately without a hitch.  Sorry I couldn't be more help.
Fellow

View Profile
« Reply #37 on: January 24, 2005, 02:59:49 AM »

Enjoy the gaming, fellas. There're still a few glitches here and there when you're using the program, but overall, it's a wonderful thing to give a little extra "bling" for those old PSX games.

Calvin

President of G.R.O.S.S.

View Profile
« Reply #38 on: January 24, 2005, 03:06:26 AM »

Warning what was the name, brand etc of the attachment from RS?
thanks dude
warning

View Profile
« Reply #39 on: January 24, 2005, 05:23:03 AM »

Warning what was the name, brand etc of the attachment from RS?
thanks dude

Mine's the RadioShack Playstation to USB Game Adapter Cat No. 26-304
Pages: [1] 2   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: