http://gamingtrend.com
August 28, 2014, 03:41:32 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: [1] 2   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Why can't they...  (Read 2948 times)
Turtle
Gaming Trend Senior Member

View Profile WWW
« on: August 21, 2007, 07:21:00 AM »

Here's a thread to post your wants for a game, not a game that couldn't/wouldn't be made, but rather a game that use today's or even yesterday's tech and knowhow, but for some reason hasn't been yet.

My idea was to take a top down, 3/4ths, or some distance third person view like classic RPGs, using a stylized art design, then marry that with a dynamic world setup similar to Oblivion's.  You see, one problem with first person games is the amount of detail you have to put into objects since the player has a view of them similar to what he'd see in real life, this means less memory for gameplay, and more for art.  The same goes for AI interactions, because the characters look real, you expect them to behave realistically.

Instead, strip out the realism and first person viewpoint.  Then throw in a massive world with no load times, mostly driven by AI ecologies, except for the plot based stuff.  Something like Dwarven Fortress meets Neverwinter Nights meets Oblivion meets Animal Crossing.  Then just let the player have fun doing his thing, like in Dwarven Fortress, maybe he can go try to run his own keep, or maybe he'll take charge of a guild with complex randomly generated quests.  Maybe he'll try to command a mercenary company and get involved in dynamic wars between kingdoms.  Without the baggage of a realistic art design, those resources and man hours can go into packing in the gameplay content, rather than art content.
Creepy_Smell

Load"*",8,1

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1 on: August 21, 2007, 12:56:03 PM »

GTA:Autoduel

Take GTA:SA engine and just throw some guns on the cars (which you could buy/change at the garage, along with building new cars), change the missions to match the setting. Give it that run down mad max look. You could get out of the car to salvage but would be highly vulnerable. In towns, if your car guns weren't disabled and you took a shot have the cops come hunt you down.

Maybe with PostApoc being the new WW2 it won't be long before a similar style game comes out. Maybe Rage or one of the other titles coming out will have the feel, but won't know for a while.

unbreakable
« Reply #2 on: August 21, 2007, 01:20:14 PM »

I always liked games like Neuromancer.  Bring back Cyberpunk!!!

Um... not the game "Cyberpunk".  That game sucked.  I mean the genre.
Lockdown

LD

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 21, 2007, 01:58:16 PM »

Why can't they...

Make a Total War game that is based completely in fantasy?  Basically take all the units from Fantasy General and put them into the Total War engine?

or

Make a new Missionforce:Cyberstorm  game.  The first one was ridiculously good, the second one was above average, but not nearly as good.  Make a third one that is better than the original.

or

Make a sequel to Crimson Skies for the 360 or the PC?  I know it sold reasonably well for the xbox, so what's the darn hold up!

or

Make Gladius 2.  I mean, the first one rocked, so c'mon already!

« Last Edit: August 21, 2007, 02:01:28 PM by Lockdown » Logged

LD

"Let your enemies fear, for a harlequin of the Laughing God dances at your side."
Eduardo X

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 21, 2007, 02:22:21 PM »

Why can't they make a game that, like Jagged Alliance 2, includes guerrilla warfare (at least somewhat) realistically? It'd be so fun!

PSN ID: EduardoX
CeeKay
Gaming Trend Staff

La-bibbida-bibba-dum! La-bibbida-bibba-do!

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 21, 2007, 02:47:46 PM »

Quote from: Lockdown on August 21, 2007, 01:58:16 PM

Why can't they...

Make a Total War game that is based completely in fantasy?  Basically take all the units from Fantasy General and put them into the Total War engine?

didn't they make a Lord of the Rings game using that engine?

and + forever to GTA: Autoduel.

Because I can,
also because I don't care what you want.
XBL: OriginalCeeKay
Wii U: CeeKay
Eduardo X

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: August 21, 2007, 02:49:29 PM »

CeeKay, there's a LotR mod for Rome: Total War, but no official fantasy game.

PSN ID: EduardoX
CeeKay
Gaming Trend Staff

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: August 21, 2007, 02:56:47 PM »

Quote from: Eduardo X on August 21, 2007, 02:49:29 PM

CeeKay, there's a LotR mod for Rome: Total War, but no official fantasy game.

I thought Battle for Middle Earth did, but apparently it was a modified C&C Generals engine.

Because I can,
Atragon
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: August 22, 2007, 12:06:34 PM »

I'll have to chime in for a (good) remake of Interstate '76, with (much) better multiplayer.

"We do what we must because we can."
X-Box Live: TragicNut
drake113
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: August 22, 2007, 04:13:37 PM »

...Remake Mail Order Monsters, with internet multiplayer.

...Do a version of Elite with updated graphics.

...Make a version of Freedom Force that uses City of Heroes' costume designer.

...Make an X-Com squad-level FPS ala Ghost Recon.

BTW, I wholeheartedly support the idea of GTA:Autoduel and an Interstate '76 remake

unbreakable
« Reply #10 on: August 22, 2007, 05:30:50 PM »

Quote from: drake113 on August 22, 2007, 04:13:37 PM

...Remake Mail Order Monsters, with internet multiplayer.

I've ALWAYS wondered why the hell EA never did anything more with Mail Order Monsters.
fyedaddy

Ass

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: August 22, 2007, 05:32:55 PM »

Why can't They make a PC D&D tactics game using the ToEE combat engine and make it playable online (team play or versus). Put a story around it if you must but just get it done.

XBox Live ID: fyedaddy

"I give up - Go with the DS. It's far better."
"Nintendo is King, and anyone who says otherwise is wrong."
 --Devil
Farscry

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: August 22, 2007, 06:21:02 PM »

Quote from: fyedaddy on August 22, 2007, 05:32:55 PM

Why can't They make a PC D&D tactics game using the ToEE combat engine and make it playable online (team play or versus). Put a story around it if you must but just get it done.

Yes, please, we've been begging for this for how many years now? Neverwinter Nights as a realtime co-op D&D game/toolset works, why not make one that's a grid-based D&D game? Some kind of cross between ToEE and Neverwinter Nights? That would rock.

Quote from: Turtle on August 21, 2007, 07:21:00 AM

My idea was to take a top down, 3/4ths, or some distance third person view like classic RPGs, using a stylized art design, then marry that with a dynamic world setup similar to Oblivion's.  You see, one problem with first person games is the amount of detail you have to put into objects since the player has a view of them similar to what he'd see in real life, this means less memory for gameplay, and more for art.  The same goes for AI interactions, because the characters look real, you expect them to behave realistically.

Instead, strip out the realism and first person viewpoint.  Then throw in a massive world with no load times, mostly driven by AI ecologies, except for the plot based stuff.  Something like Dwarven Fortress meets Neverwinter Nights meets Oblivion meets Animal Crossing.  Then just let the player have fun doing his thing, like in Dwarven Fortress, maybe he can go try to run his own keep, or maybe he'll take charge of a guild with complex randomly generated quests.  Maybe he'll try to command a mercenary company and get involved in dynamic wars between kingdoms.  Without the baggage of a realistic art design, those resources and man hours can go into packing in the gameplay content, rather than art content.

DITTO AGAIN. Oh man, a free-form adventure/rpg/rts/whatever-Dwarven-Fortress-is that combines both of the modes from Dwarven Fortress as well as the style of gameplay from the Elder Scrolls games (the non-linear adventure stuff), and like Dwarven Fortress generates a random world for each person (and regenerates it on demand if desired) would... oh man, it would be unfathomably awesome. Dwarven Fortress is incredible as it is; taking it to this degree would be incredible.

As for my own ideas, here's a few simple ones:

*A new X-Wing/TIE-Fighter space combat sim with modern presentation, physics, and control.

or for that matter...

*A space-based mmo that actually utilizes Newtonian physics and players directly controlling their craft and combat. Players who prefer not to directly pilot but rather utilize AI routines or the like could run freighters or larger ships (destroyers on up) that aren't pilotable manually but rather are piloted more like ships from Star Trek or large naval warships: commands are issued by the player and the ship runs them. They could even use the skill system EVE uses to be able to get more performance out of craft. I would love this kind of game, and it should be pretty darn doable (if they had to cap player populations in given systems to keep it from bombing out, that'd be fine; it's sci-fi, so put some sort of thing into the fiction where the system jumpgates or whatever only function up to a certain capacity, who knows)

You know what else I want? Gimme a freaking top-notch Aliens: Colonial Marines FPS (not Aliens vs. Predator) with great online multiplayer features.

I know, I'm not thinking too originally here. The Turn-based fully featured online D&D campaign game/toolset is my most fleshed-out idea that's never been fully realized in a game before, and no, it's not the same as what WotC is doing with their upcoming 4th edition online features.

Purge - You have unlocked an Achievement!
You are now of the rank reprobate
Atragon
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: August 22, 2007, 10:29:38 PM »

Well, Jumpgate kind of had what you're asking for in a MMO, but it was limited to small craft.

TC Weidner
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile WWW
« Reply #14 on: August 23, 2007, 12:56:37 AM »

why hasnt there been a update to Road Rash this decade?
kronovan

View Profile
« Reply #15 on: August 23, 2007, 01:19:39 AM »

I agree with others here about a remake of Interstate 76 and pleeeeez do a better effort than I 82. I could see the GTA engine as a possible platform, but they'd seriously need to improve the controls and addd wheel support.
I'd like it to be a mature title with some gratuitous sex thrown in the mix. Hmmm....maybe they could call it Interstate 69.  slywink
CeeKay
Gaming Trend Staff

View Profile
« Reply #16 on: August 23, 2007, 01:55:10 AM »

Quote from: kronovan on August 23, 2007, 01:19:39 AM

I agree with others here about a remake of Interstate 76 and pleeeeez do a better effort than I 82. I could see the GTA engine as a possible platform, but they'd seriously need to improve the controls and addd wheel support.
I'd like it to be a mature title with some gratuitous sex thrown in the mix. Hmmm....maybe they could call it Interstate 69.  slywink

Dead or Alive: Interstate Autoduel

Because I can,
fyedaddy

Ass

View Profile
« Reply #17 on: August 23, 2007, 06:13:05 PM »

I'd like it to be a mature title with some gratuitous sex thrown in the mix.

Is that even possible?

Hmmm....maybe they could call it Interstate 69.  slywink

No, it's not.

XBox Live ID: fyedaddy

"I give up - Go with the DS. It's far better."
"Nintendo is King, and anyone who says otherwise is wrong."
 --Devil
unbreakable
« Reply #18 on: August 23, 2007, 06:52:11 PM »

I like the quote from the other day, where the game developer was saying how F'd up the rating system is- you can't even refer to sex, but you can set 1000 people on fire as long as there is no blood.
CeeKay
Gaming Trend Staff

View Profile
« Reply #19 on: August 24, 2007, 12:35:16 AM »

Quote from: unbreakable on August 23, 2007, 06:52:11 PM

I like the quote from the other day, where the game developer was saying how F'd up the rating system is- you can't even refer to sex, but you can set 1000 people on fire as long as there is no blood.

well of course there'd be no blood if you charbroiled them.

Because I can,
kronovan

View Profile
« Reply #20 on: August 26, 2007, 09:33:05 PM »

Quote from: fyedaddy on August 23, 2007, 06:13:05 PM

Is that even possible?

Of course it's possible, the entire game takes place in a car. Just think of all the positions possibilites for gratuitous sex!   Tongue
CeeKay
Gaming Trend Staff

View Profile
« Reply #21 on: August 26, 2007, 10:56:05 PM »

Quote from: kronovan on August 26, 2007, 09:33:05 PM

Is that even possible?

Of course it's possible, the entire game takes place in a car. Just think of all the positions possibilites for gratuitous sex!   Tongue

I wonder if they'll have realistic damage model for the stick shift ......

Because I can,
kronovan

View Profile
« Reply #22 on: August 27, 2007, 12:18:55 AM »

Quote from: CeeKay on August 26, 2007, 10:56:05 PM

Quote from: kronovan on August 26, 2007, 09:33:05 PM

Is that even possible?

I wonder if they'll have realistic damage model for the stick shift ......

LOL...OK CeeKay that just about made me fall out of my chair!  icon_lol
Yeah that would be cool if they did; hope they manage a 6-point physics model while they're at it. And just think of the gameplay challenge of performing the act  face -to- face in the seated position while steering the car and blazing away with high powered weapons!
Farscry

View Profile
« Reply #23 on: August 27, 2007, 01:13:41 AM »

Quote from: kronovan on August 27, 2007, 12:18:55 AM

Yeah that would be cool if they did; hope they manage a 6-point physics model while they're at it. And just think of the gameplay challenge of performing the act  face -to- face in the seated position while steering the car and blazing away with high powered weapons!

Jack Thompson's brain would explode when the recursive "find new way to be offended" function in his cerebral cortex throws out a bad pointer reference and induces hemorrhaging.

Purge - You have unlocked an Achievement!
You are now of the rank reprobate
CeeKay
Gaming Trend Staff

View Profile
« Reply #24 on: August 27, 2007, 01:20:29 AM »

Quote from: Farscry on August 27, 2007, 01:13:41 AM

Jack Thompson's brain would explode when the recursive "find new way to be offended" function in his cerebral cortex throws out a bad pointer reference and induces hemorrhaging.

you say that like it's be a bad thing.....

Because I can,
kronovan

View Profile
« Reply #25 on: August 27, 2007, 04:03:39 AM »

Quote from: CeeKay on August 27, 2007, 01:20:29 AM

Well you know a game like this could be created by a dev like 2K - Rockstar North and made available exclusive to the Canadian market under NAFTA cultural protection guidelines. Then said Canadian sites could of course retail it online with the unrestricted Internet consequence that US citizens could purchase it on demand. Of course the Bush administration would have a cerebal meltdown over this, but as CeeKay said in regards to Jack Thompson...that may not be such a bad thing; no?
CeeKay
Gaming Trend Staff

View Profile
« Reply #26 on: August 27, 2007, 06:56:25 AM »

Quote from: kronovan on August 27, 2007, 04:03:39 AM

Quote from: CeeKay on August 27, 2007, 01:20:29 AM

Well you know a game like this could be created by a dev like 2K - Rockstar North and made available exclusive to the Canadian market under NAFTA cultural protection guidelines. Then said Canadian sites could of course retail it online with the unrestricted Internet consequence that US citizens could purchase it on demand. Of course the Bush administration would have a cerebal meltdown over this, but as CeeKay said in regards to Jack Thompson...that may not be such a bad thing; no?

Hmm. Your ideas are intriguing to me and I wish to subscribe to your newsletter.

Because I can,
Harkonis

View Profile
« Reply #27 on: August 27, 2007, 11:18:32 AM »

Quote from: Lockdown on August 21, 2007, 01:58:16 PM

Why can't they...

or

Make a new Missionforce:Cyberstorm  game.  The first one was ridiculously good, the second one was above average, but not nearly as good.  Make a third one that is better than the original.

or

Make a sequel to Crimson Skies for the 360 or the PC?  I know it sold reasonably well for the xbox, so what's the darn hold up!

or

Make Gladius 2.  I mean, the first one rocked, so c'mon already!

I have to say that you must be in my head, all of those are some of my favorite suggestions.
Purge
Gaming Trend Staff

Thirty. Minutes.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #28 on: August 27, 2007, 12:16:09 PM »

I'd like to see Planet Moon studios do a sequel to Giants : Citizen Kabuto.

I would also very much like another Crimson Skies, Mechassault 3 (coop campaign), and another Ultima singleplayer game.

I'm not picky about platform.

[fixed Giant's name just to take away Disarms fun]
« Last Edit: August 30, 2007, 11:47:51 AM by Purge » Logged

"If it weren't for Philo T. Farnsworth, inventor of television, we'd still be eating frozen radio dinners." - Johnny Carson
CeeKay
Gaming Trend Staff

View Profile
« Reply #29 on: August 27, 2007, 02:15:06 PM »

Quote from: Purge on August 27, 2007, 12:16:09 PM

I'd like to see Planet Moon studios do a sequel to Kabuto : Citizen Zero.

I would also very much like another Crimson Skies, Mechassault 3 (coop campaign), and another Ultima singleplayer game.

they could make them for the Wii!

Because I can,
disarm

my moral standing is lying down...

View Profile
« Reply #30 on: August 27, 2007, 11:42:15 PM »

you mean Giants: Citizen Kabuto? icon_wink

*Gamertag - disarm78*
Now Playing: Grand Theft Auto V
CeeKay
Gaming Trend Staff

View Profile
« Reply #31 on: August 28, 2007, 12:19:42 AM »

Quote from: disarm on August 27, 2007, 11:42:15 PM

no, he meant Kabuto: Citizen Zero.  It was a Canadian knock off  icon_wink

Because I can,
CeeKay
Gaming Trend Staff

View Profile
« Reply #32 on: August 28, 2007, 02:44:09 PM »

OK, why can't they.....

let the settings options that appear in a games video options menu go as high as the program will allow it?  why, if I want to make the game look better than the arbitrary setting that the devs decided to limit us with, do I have to go and tweak the .ini files (or whatever off the wall file extension system they use) to go outside those limits when the game is capable of doing it?  Like in Two Worlds:  in game I can max out the LOD and Grass Fade distance using the sliders in the options menu, but that doesn't acrually max out the settings- to do that you have to tweak the game files on your own.  It's like making a car that goes 200 MPH but limiting the max speed to 65.

Because I can,
unbreakable
« Reply #33 on: August 28, 2007, 07:35:15 PM »

Quote from: CeeKay on August 28, 2007, 02:44:09 PM

It's like making a car that goes 200 MPH but limiting the max speed to 65.

Which is actually done, btw.  Well, not 200mph, but some cars have the top speed capped.
CeeKay
Gaming Trend Staff

View Profile
« Reply #34 on: August 29, 2007, 12:58:10 AM »

Quote from: unbreakable on August 28, 2007, 07:35:15 PM

Quote from: CeeKay on August 28, 2007, 02:44:09 PM

It's like making a car that goes 200 MPH but limiting the max speed to 65.

Which is actually done, btw.  Well, not 200mph, but some cars have the top speed capped.

OK, it's like giving someone a 6 pack of beer and making 4 of the cans un-openable.

Because I can,
Atragon
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #35 on: August 29, 2007, 12:00:35 PM »

I'd like a proper Mechwarrior sequal.

Heck, maybe even a TBS Mechwarrior game. That would kick ass. You could even go for a 4x game of the Inner Sphere/Periphery/Clans.

kronovan

View Profile
« Reply #36 on: August 29, 2007, 10:39:06 PM »

Quote from: Atragon on August 29, 2007, 12:00:35 PM

I'd like a proper Mechwarrior sequal.

Heck, maybe even a TBS Mechwarrior game. That would kick ass. You could even go for a 4x game of the Inner Sphere/Periphery/Clans.

While I agree that a MW TBS, perhaps similar to MW Miniatures, would be very cool. If another Mechwarrior game is made I'd really like it to be an RPG. The Mech Commander series was done well enough that my thirst for a MW strategy game was more or less quenched. I also play MW Miniatures enough with my son and the local WizKids community that I'm content.

I'm just not sure if I'd like to see a skills based RPG that focused on the workings of the mech or an RGP that solely focused on the abilities of the pilots. But I'm definitely sure that I'd like to see a RPG of some sort for this series.
CeeKay
Gaming Trend Staff

View Profile
« Reply #37 on: August 30, 2007, 02:19:01 AM »

Quote from: kronovan on August 29, 2007, 10:39:06 PM

I'm just not sure if I'd like to see a skills based RPG that focused on the workings of the mech or an RGP that solely focused on the abilities of the pilots. But I'm definitely sure that I'd like to see a RPG of some sort for this series.

Maybe another Crescent Hawk game.....

Because I can,
Purge
Gaming Trend Staff

Thirty. Minutes.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #38 on: August 30, 2007, 11:46:23 AM »

Quote from: disarm on August 27, 2007, 11:42:15 PM

It was a rough day. I was also thinking about that giant robot-hucking-cars game at the same time. Methinks it had Zero in the name, hence why I farked up the Giants : Citizen Kabuto name.

What was that one called? I'd like to see another one of those, except better.

Oh, and a longer, more involved Armed & Dangerous.

And sequels to every single LucasArts adventure game (on consoles).

"If it weren't for Philo T. Farnsworth, inventor of television, we'd still be eating frozen radio dinners." - Johnny Carson
Purge
Gaming Trend Staff

Thirty. Minutes.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #39 on: August 30, 2007, 11:48:34 AM »

Oh, and Diablo 3.

Pages: [1] 2   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: