http://gamingtrend.com
November 28, 2014, 11:10:51 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Why can't more PC games come in DVD style cases?  (Read 1289 times)
corruptrelic
Gaming Trend Senior Member

View Profile
« on: February 19, 2006, 04:05:51 AM »

Or hell, just come on DVD's themselves?

Lately I've been seeing a few newer releases coming in DVD style boxes (Age of Empires 3, Battlefield Collection, among others) but the old cheap boxes are still greatly outnumbering the fancier DVD style cases.
IMO they're more convient, look nicer, are more accessible, and save a lot easier. Looking back at some of my older PC boxes (even the giant ones back in the old days) a lot of them are getting beat up - not to mention I'm running out of space to keep them.

Just about every PC these days - even low-end value ones like mine (a compaq sempron 3400) include some type of DVD drive.
You can get unreal tournament 2004 on 4+ discs and swap and switch or you can get the dvd version and only have one disc to worry about.

Anyone else finding it a lot easier to store and access PC games that come in the DVD-style cases?

"A gladiator does not fear death. He embraces it. Caresses it. Fucks it. Every time he enters the arena, he slides his cock into the mouth of the beast."
Daehawk

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: February 19, 2006, 04:08:23 AM »

Me personally would still prefer they go back to the old big boxes with nice addins and big manuals. But since that will never happen unfortunately then I say make DVD disc and put them in DVD cases plz. I like'm too just not as much as the big box smile

---------------------------------------------------
I am Dyslexic of Borg, prepare to have your ass laminated.

Check my trader rating. Im 22+ and zero negs. Trade with me! smile
stiffler

View Profile WWW
« Reply #2 on: February 19, 2006, 06:35:14 AM »

Europe seems to have fully embraced DVD as the PC media of choice.  They also use regular DVD cases.  With EA and others moving to the big DVD cases I would imagine it's just a matter of time.

Of course I am willing to bet that with a move to DVD cases we will soon be greeted with a one sheet insert containing install instructions on one side and "here's how to find the PDF manual on the disc" on the other.

I say good riddance to the giant boxes.  I miss the extras but am convinced you can still fit a nice big manual and/or other crap in the new boxes.

Xbox Live Gamertag: cstiffler
TheMissingLink

TML, for short.

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 19, 2006, 06:48:10 AM »

Quote from: "stiffler"
Of course I am willing to bet that with a move to DVD cases we will soon be greeted with a one sheet insert containing install instructions on one side and "here's how to find the PDF manual on the disc" on the other.

UGH, I hope you're not right - I love a physical copy of a manual instead of PDF's.  Can't STAND PDF's.

TheMissingLink on PSN
hitbyambulance

View Profile WWW
« Reply #4 on: February 19, 2006, 06:53:41 AM »

Quote from: "stiffler"

with the budget Euro titles, this information will be found on the reverse of the outside liner (yeah, you have to bend the case backwards and remove the liner to read it).
EddieA

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 19, 2006, 06:56:27 AM »

Dungeon Siege 2 and The Sims 2 both came in DVD cases, and both had fairly large manuals, so that's not really a problem.  They are very nice and convenient, so hopefully, other publisher will follow EA and Microsoft's example and start to use them.

"Why did the chicken cross the Mobius strip?  To get to the same side."  - The Big Bang Theory
Jumangi

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: February 19, 2006, 07:25:36 AM »

I kinda even miss the wierd trapezoid style ones that Edios used to put out.
Nth Power

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: February 19, 2006, 07:41:09 AM »

I'm glad when they come with any case these days, but having everthing in a DVD style case would be good.  I feel a little let down when I open a box and the only thing inside is a cheap paper-sleeved CD and a one page insert.  frown

"Those who can make you believe absurdities can make you commit atrocities" -Voltaire
XBL gamertag: NthPowr
corruptrelic

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: February 19, 2006, 08:23:58 AM »

I feel a little let down when I open a box and the only thing inside is a cheap paper-sleeved CD and a one page insert.
Reminds me of buying Half-Life 2, at a full $50 retail price I might add.
For 50 bucks, you'd think they could at least give you a manual and a cd case.. not some cheap paper coaster sleeves and an 'electronic' manual.

I used to like the big boxes games came in, but now after experiencing the dvd-style cases, I have to say, they are so much easier to store. Being a dvd collector, it's easy to just make some extra room on my dvd shelf and add the newer PC games there, without looking like I've got big boxes all over the place.

Age of Empires 3 had a decent sized manual and came in a dvd case. Got command and conquer the first decade, another dvd-style case, not much to the manual but at least it's still there.
If they start giving us a paper insert and tell us to get the manual on the disc.. well, then they should pass some of those savings off to us (the consumers) on our purchase price, although personally I always prefer a real manual over some stupid electronic one which most of us probably don't even end up reading anyway.

"A gladiator does not fear death. He embraces it. Caresses it. Fucks it. Every time he enters the arena, he slides his cock into the mouth of the beast."
Canuck

I live in Japan

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: February 19, 2006, 10:19:33 AM »

Do you really need a manual for Halflife 2 though?
Atragon
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: February 19, 2006, 04:12:17 PM »

Here's my take on it:

The double thick DVD cases are a pain. They don't fit into a standard DVD rack, the manual is thin as heck, and the storage mechanism for the discs is primitive. A plastic spindle that can be hard to get a disc off of.

Single height DVD cases of the style used for DVD movies and console games are OK with me, they do take up more storage space than CD cases and limit manual size, but at least they 1) fit on standard DVD storage racks, and 2) tend to be reasonably easy to get the disc out of. However, even with these you can get 20 dvd cases in the same space as 33 or more CD cases.

Call me old fashioned, but I perfer the CD cases, they're small, offer reasonable protection, don't waste much space, don't make it absurdly hard to pop the disc out of. And leave lots of box space, even in the compact boxes for manuals and others.

The only storage solution I find completely inexcusable is when the discs ship in paper sleeves. CD cases cost ~50 cents retail. In bulk they'd be even cheaper and there's no reason other than penny pinching not to ship the discs in flimsy, easy to damage paper sleeves.

That's my take on it. I Like the old thick manuals, of the type you'd find in Janes ATF, AH64-D Apache Longbow, Civ 2, Starsiege, and the like. I Like the add ins, like the command reference triangles of the freespace games, the tech tree maps of the older Civ games, the build progression maps of C&C, the cloth maps of RPGs like Dungeon Siege.

To me, this progression towards cheaper and cheaper manuals and boxes is a race to the bottom that I'm fed up with. And as an asside, there comes a point where with electronic-only manuals, bare-bones cases with only printed cover sheets, and copy protection requiring the disc to be in the drive (irritating when you're playing multiple games at once.) remove ANY added value for buying the game as opposed to simply downloading it.

I am not advocating piracy, I am merely pointing out the fact that it seems like publishers are trying to shave costs, and in the process are destroying the positive experience of picking up a nice heavy box in a store, getting home and opening it to find a nicely printed thick manual with lots of useful information about the game, possibly a few neat add-ins, and a compact disc case for the game discs.

Now when I buy a game, I pick up a small slim case secure in the knowlege that I face a skimpy 'manual' which is little more than a command reference, a disc case that seems to be trying to prevent me from extracting the disc (or a case that doesn't even protect the disc), and copy protection that requires the disc in the drive just to 'prove' that you own the game.

I miss that old experience.

"We do what we must because we can."
X-Box Live: TragicNut
corruptrelic

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: February 19, 2006, 08:55:57 PM »

They don't fit into a standard DVD rack, the manual is thin as heck, and the storage mechanism for the discs is primitive.

Never really thought about a dvd rack since I'm using a huge book shelf to store all my dvds.
Have you seen the manual of Age of Empires 3? Pretty decent sized and still managed to fit in there..
Personally I like the storage mechanism if it comes on an actual dvd or 3 discs or less.
When you start going the Battlefield Collection route and throw something like 8 discs in there, it's more trouble than it's worth. All put on that cone thing, with the exception of two that woudn't fit, put into paper sleeves. All that switching and trying to find the right discs.. IMO, they should have just put it on a dvd or two.

I am merely pointing out the fact that it seems like publishers are trying to shave costs, and in the process are destroying the positive experience of picking up a nice heavy box in a store, getting home and opening it to find a nicely printed thick manual with lots of useful information about the game, possibly a few neat add-ins, and a compact disc case for the game discs.

Yep, one of the things I miss about Gone Gold's reviews, the "lift test" where they'd take the manual into account for the review.
While most first person shooters are pick up and play, I still think Valve had no excuse (other than to save $$ -which they should have passed down to us) not to include a manual. Hell, to put HL2 in paper sleeves? The manual could have gave a background on the game (who you are and what kind of resistance you're leading), system requirements, getting it up and running, some talk about "Steam" and how you always have to be online, the weapons in the game, etc.. anything would have been better than nothing. When I got half-life 2 I had to go out and buy cd cases for the cds since they coudn't do it for us.
That's what I mean about passing the savings on to the consumer, but to pay full retail price ($50+) and still have to go out and buy a real storage medium for the discs since they coudn't include them out of the box?

Yeah I miss the older days too, with big manual books.. but sadly, we're moving further and further away from that era.
Most of EA's new PC games are coming in DVD-style boxes and so I think it's only a matter of time until they all start coming like that.
Personally I love them.. but again I keep all my dvds/games on book shelves, so hadn't really thought about standard dvd towers, etc..
However if games started coming in regular dvd cases (like playstation 2 and xbox games do) then it's a defnite goodbye to the "big manual" days, as when was the last time you saw a ps2/xbox game with a good sized manual?

Hapfloyde
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: February 20, 2006, 03:34:42 AM »

Personally I use a shoe organizer to hold my jewel cases (it works great, I highly reccomend it!).  DVD cases tend not to fit nearly as well.  OTOH, They do do away with the need to carefully pack the boxes away somewhere else.

Ha, ha, ha. You have struck Hercules!
Daehawk

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: February 20, 2006, 04:57:06 AM »

I use a bookcase plus overflow onto my chestofdrawers to hold my boxes. I keep my stuff in mint condition..or if from trades then however they came.

As for consoles not having a manual..bah ya just need a slip of paper saying A for punch B for kick ....or A to go faster B to slow down smile

God I hate consoles.

---------------------------------------------------
I am Dyslexic of Borg, prepare to have your ass laminated.

Check my trader rating. Im 22+ and zero negs. Trade with me! smile
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: