http://gamingtrend.com
October 25, 2014, 12:28:51 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Why are DS' so hard to find? HELP ME FIND AN ONYX LITE! I FOUND ONE WOOT  (Read 2268 times)
depward
Gaming Trend Senior Member

View Profile
« on: January 29, 2007, 04:23:05 AM »

I found one.  FAAAANTASTIC.  Only one store in the Portland area had any in stock.  Thanks for your help everyone...

Indeed friends, I ask for your help:

My non-gaming girlfriend is starting to enjoy games.  I've caught her attention with the Wii and she's slightly fallen in love with Animal Crossing for the DS.  Hence, she hinted at the fact that our anniversary is coming up... and that, perhaps, she would be (quite) interested in an onyx Nintendo DS.

The problem is: I can't find even ANY COLOR of the Lites anywhere!  Sold out!  Went to my Costko and they don't have any either.

So I'm asking two questions here:

1) Can all of you be on the lookout for an onyx DS Lite?  I would gladly pay for it plus shipping if you purchased it for me.

2) Why the heck are DS' sold out everywhere?!  Insanity!  How is the situation where you live?
« Last Edit: January 30, 2007, 08:24:37 PM by depward » Logged

depward on the Playstation Network
raaaaaawwwwwwr on Xbox Live
Gratch

GO UTES!!

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: January 29, 2007, 04:54:07 AM »

Pretty much completely sold out around here too.  Checked the Gamestops last Thursday, and neither Best Buy, Curcuit City, or Costco had any  yesterday.  Craziness.

“My next great decision is just lying in wait.
The action might turn out to be the world's most grievous mistake."
- Bad Religion, Past is Dead
nymanium
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 29, 2007, 04:59:56 AM »

Say some of all colors at my local Meijer. Not sure where you live so that might not help you.
CeeKay
Gaming Trend Staff

La-bibbida-bibba-dum! La-bibbida-bibba-do!

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 29, 2007, 05:22:05 AM »

My local EB has only been able to get the pink ones in.  I want a DS lite, but not a pink one.

Because I can,
also because I don't care what you want.
XBL: OriginalCeeKay
Wii U: CeeKay
Calvin

President of G.R.O.S.S.

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 29, 2007, 05:32:49 AM »

You haven't been online all day dude, but why didn't you ask me? Send me an email with the order of preference for colors and I will go grab you one tomorrow. They are everywhere here.
CrayolaSmoker

Sponge Bath Slut

View Profile WWW
« Reply #5 on: January 29, 2007, 03:01:40 PM »

Quote from: Calvin on January 29, 2007, 05:32:49 AM

You haven't been online all day dude, but why didn't you ask me? Send me an email with the order of preference for colors and I will go grab you one tomorrow. They are everywhere here.

Dude! Do you live in Nintendo's warehouse?

Wii: 1429 3414 0674 4114 | 360: CrayolaSmokerGT
smokingcrayolas.net | surrogacy blog
CeeKay
Gaming Trend Staff

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: January 29, 2007, 03:24:31 PM »

Quote from: CrayolaSmoker on January 29, 2007, 03:01:40 PM

I though he lived on Uranus......

Because I can,
IkeVandergraaf

RRoD FTL! F MS!

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: January 29, 2007, 07:50:33 PM »

There are rings around Uranus.

Gamertag = IkeV
I KNOW DEEP IN MY NMIND THAT THIS DISGUSTING WEBSITE THAT IS OBIVOUSLY OPERATED BY HIGHSCHOOL DROPOUTS LIVING PURPOSELESS AND JOBLESS LIVES
Calvin

President of G.R.O.S.S.

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: January 30, 2007, 04:33:41 AM »

Maybe I am not not seeing stuff properly-maybe they are DS and not DSlite, but I see DS boxes in literally every store I walk into lately.
IkeVandergraaf

RRoD FTL! F MS!

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: January 30, 2007, 01:28:47 PM »

Are you seeing them in Gamestops?  I know the Gamestops around here have display boxes out, even though they have no product in stock.  I once got annoyed at the (cute) girl who manages the Gamestop near my apartment.  "Well, why do you have the boxes out then!?"  She said, "Do you think I want to?"

Anywho, I was able to find mine by diligently checking my local CC and the CC website.  I also saw that my local CompUSA had some in stock.  You can find them without too much difficulty if you're a little diligent.

Gamertag = IkeV
I KNOW DEEP IN MY NMIND THAT THIS DISGUSTING WEBSITE THAT IS OBIVOUSLY OPERATED BY HIGHSCHOOL DROPOUTS LIVING PURPOSELESS AND JOBLESS LIVES
denoginizer

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: January 30, 2007, 01:42:17 PM »

I have seen large quantities of DS Lites at Toys R Us and Costco here in the Cleveland area recently.

Xbox Live Tag: denoginizer
PSN Name: denoginizer
CrayolaSmoker

Sponge Bath Slut

View Profile WWW
« Reply #11 on: January 30, 2007, 01:58:15 PM »

Quote from: CeeKay on January 29, 2007, 03:24:31 PM

I though he lived on Uranus......

Don't be silly. No man can subsist solely from my anus.

Wii: 1429 3414 0674 4114 | 360: CrayolaSmokerGT
smokingcrayolas.net | surrogacy blog
CeeKay
Gaming Trend Staff

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: January 30, 2007, 03:27:13 PM »

Quote from: IkeVandergraaf on January 30, 2007, 01:28:47 PM

I once got annoyed at the (cute) girl who manages the Gamestop near my apartment.  "Well, why do you have the boxes out then!?"  She said, "Do you think I want to?"

They must have gone on a cute girl hiring campaign lately.  My local EB has a hot brunette girl and a cute blonde girl, but I haven't seen the blonde girl around lately.

Quote from: denoginizer on January 30, 2007, 01:42:17 PM

I have seen large quantities of DS Lites at Toys R Us and Costco here in the Cleveland area recently.

well, I guess Cleveland has to be good for something....  Tongue

Quote from: CrayolaSmoker on January 30, 2007, 01:58:15 PM

Don't be silly. No man can subsist solely from my anus.
I'll leave out the klingons comment  icon_lol

Because I can,
Clay

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: January 30, 2007, 04:10:36 PM »

they are hard to find because they have 'become an American obsession' according to this article:
http://news.digitaltrends.com/article12170.html

xbox live: nude rick james
depward

View Profile
« Reply #14 on: January 30, 2007, 04:45:28 PM »

I've been looking for about a week... I checked all of the stores mentioned in this thread (CompUSA, CC, etc.) - all sold out online & in-store.

Maybe it's just a Portland thing, but good lordy!  I'm *this* close to purchasing one off Ebay for a jacked up price (+$30 or so bucks).  I talked to the Gamestop guy I'm friendly with and he told me they aren't receiving any more of the Onyx Lites... this isn't true, is it?

Argh!

unbreakable
« Reply #15 on: January 30, 2007, 04:58:36 PM »

I was amazed that Amazon isn't selling any.

Is there some reason supplies are so short, like difficulty with some essential part(s)?
Kevin Grey
Global Moderator

View Profile
« Reply #16 on: January 30, 2007, 05:05:20 PM »

Quote from: unbreakable on January 30, 2007, 04:58:36 PM

Is there some reason supplies are so short, like difficulty with some essential part(s)?

Nintendo's production capability on the DS has been near maxed for a while now.  As I understand it, they have been perpetually sold out in Japan for about a year.  You'll almost never see one on store shelves there.  Instead it's people lining up for weekly shipments like we're seeing with the Wii now.  But it's not like they aren't shipping a lot either- DS sales are typically in excess of 100k or more per week over there.  Now with the DS seeming to increase in popularity outside of Japan, combined with moving through all of their excess inventory over Christmas, I think we're just seeing the ramifications of a fully maxed production line.

Maybe Nintendo will bring on more productions lines but considering they are traditionally more fiscally  conservative than their competitors I assume they won't do it until they are sure the demand will stay at this level. 
denoginizer

View Profile
« Reply #17 on: January 30, 2007, 05:25:52 PM »

Quote from: CeeKay on January 30, 2007, 03:27:13 PM

I work in downtown Cleveland.  I take the train into and out of the city every day and eat lunch at various downtown spots.  It's kind of funny that I constantly see people with PSPs on the train and in the lobbies of buildings.  But I have never seen anyone with a DS in 2 years.  I don't even know anyone who has one. Yet I know plenty of people who have PSPs.  Also the PSP software sections of local Best Buys and other stores seem to always be twice the size of the DS sections.

Maybe Cleveland is the one place in the world where people don't care about the DS?   icon_lol

corruptrelic

View Profile
« Reply #18 on: January 30, 2007, 05:49:34 PM »

The onyx is the black one right? (Dont know why they couldn't just call it that)
If so, my local Brandsmart has 5 of them in stock (just got back about 10 minutes ago). Best Buy also had 2 or 3 when I was there last friday. I'm in Fort Lauderdale FL area.

Unfortunately though I'm flat broke $$ until I get paid on friday. If you still need one by then send me a pm.

"A gladiator does not fear death. He embraces it. Caresses it. Fucks it. Every time he enters the arena, he slides his cock into the mouth of the beast."
unbreakable
« Reply #19 on: January 30, 2007, 06:30:25 PM »

Quote from: denoginizer on January 30, 2007, 05:25:52 PM

Quote from: CeeKay on January 30, 2007, 03:27:13 PM

I work in downtown Cleveland.  I take the train into and out of the city every day and eat lunch at various downtown spots.  It's kind of funny that I constantly see people with PSPs on the train and in the lobbies of buildings.  But I have never seen anyone with a DS in 2 years.  I don't even know anyone who has one. Yet I know plenty of people who have PSPs.  Also the PSP software sections of local Best Buys and other stores seem to always be twice the size of the DS sections.

I know a few people with PSPs, and it seems the draw is more toward the multi-media capabilities than the gaming potential.

I see lots of people with DSs, but only know a few with DSs.  But my friends are primarily PC gamers.
CeeKay
Gaming Trend Staff

View Profile
« Reply #20 on: January 30, 2007, 06:46:50 PM »

I take the train into and out of the city every day and eat lunch at various downtown spots.  It's kind of funny that I constantly see people with PSPs on the train

well, when you have to deal with RTA I'm sure you have plenty of time to watch UMD's (unless RTA has improved in the last 10 years since I left).  icon_biggrin

Because I can,
depward

View Profile
« Reply #21 on: January 30, 2007, 06:54:18 PM »

Quote from: corruptrelic on January 30, 2007, 05:49:34 PM

The onyx is the black one right? (Dont know why they couldn't just call it that)
If so, my local Brandsmart has 5 of them in stock (just got back about 10 minutes ago). Best Buy also had 2 or 3 when I was there last friday. I'm in Fort Lauderdale FL area.

Unfortunately though I'm flat broke $$ until I get paid on friday. If you still need one by then send me a pm.

Ah awesome dude!  I appreciate you looking for it!  It's definately a 'maybe' right now - itrackr says a local Target has one in stock so I'm going to check that place out.  I'll let you know   icon_biggrin

denoginizer

View Profile
« Reply #22 on: January 30, 2007, 07:13:21 PM »

Quote from: CeeKay on January 30, 2007, 06:46:50 PM

I take the train into and out of the city every day and eat lunch at various downtown spots.  It's kind of funny that I constantly see people with PSPs on the train

well, when you have to deal with RTA I'm sure you have plenty of time to watch UMD's (unless RTA has improved in the last 10 years since I left).  icon_biggrin

Actually I've heard horror stories about the busses, but the trains are pretty punctual.  Taking the train does allow me to get alot of use out of my DS and PSP.  In addition to watching Lost, 24, and Battlestar Gallactica on my IPod.   icon_biggrin

ATB

Thanks for everything, Ryan. 1979-2013

View Profile
« Reply #23 on: January 31, 2007, 02:19:39 AM »

All the pretty chicks with the crimson lips say Cleveland rocks.  Cleveland rocks!

Octavious230

View Profile
« Reply #24 on: January 31, 2007, 04:02:12 PM »

I still can't find one. Well I did find one at the local Bj's but it was the pink one bundled with two girly games.  retard
Calvin

President of G.R.O.S.S.

View Profile
« Reply #25 on: January 31, 2007, 04:12:39 PM »

I must totally be missing something with this dslite. I just do not get the demand for it. Seriously, I must be missing something-maybe I should try one.
Octavious230

View Profile
« Reply #26 on: January 31, 2007, 04:22:24 PM »

It has games that you really can't find anywhere else. I love my 360 but it certainly isn't for it's unique selection of games. slywink
Calvin

President of G.R.O.S.S.

View Profile
« Reply #27 on: January 31, 2007, 04:31:32 PM »

Quote from: Octavious230 on January 31, 2007, 04:22:24 PM

It has games that you really can't find anywhere else. I love my 360 but it certainly isn't for it's unique selection of games. slywink

Yeah maybe Kathode will let me play with his (not like that freaks).
Zero

View Profile
« Reply #28 on: February 01, 2007, 04:44:53 AM »

The games on the DS are just awesome.  Good for me, as I tend to be away from the computer or console when I want to play.  There's nothing like sitting on an airplane, playing a game, and then noticing - oh, we're landing!  You need to try it!

My local target just got a shipment of DS Lites today...anyone want me to look for one for them?
siege

View Profile
« Reply #29 on: February 01, 2007, 09:11:55 AM »

It's still extremely rare to find a DS Lite in my area. I actually came across one in a Blockbuster a couple weeks back which I picked up for my wife. She was still using the fatty and wanted to upgrade.

Pretty amazing that a 2 year old system is still hard to find on store shelves.
Misguided
Gaming Trend Staff

Semi-acquatic egg-laying mammal of action

View Profile
« Reply #30 on: February 01, 2007, 11:54:00 AM »

Incidentally, if anyone is big on kart racers, Diddy Kong Racing is looking to be pretty good.
Played it some last night (Nintendo sent out advance copies to store managers). I like the variety compared to Mario Kart, because there are three vehicle styles (kart, hovercraft, plane).

More after I've had more of a chance to play.

Ruining language with my terrible words.
CeeKay
Gaming Trend Staff

View Profile
« Reply #31 on: February 01, 2007, 03:48:05 PM »

Quote from: siege on February 01, 2007, 09:11:55 AM

She was still using the fatty and wanted to upgrade.

Ar you sure the fatty she was referring to was the DS?  Tongue

Well, my desire for a new PC has supplanted my desire for a DS Lite.  By the time I'm finished getting the PC the DS (and maybe the Wii) should hopefully be widely available again.

Because I can,
Octavious230

View Profile
« Reply #32 on: February 01, 2007, 06:03:25 PM »

Found one last night after an epic journey around the area. 15 stores and I finally found one in the Walmart by my house. If it was the weekend it would have been the first store I would have looked.  mad Got Animal Crossing with it last night and I'm loving it. My wife stole it from me pretty quickly though. Looks like I'll probably have to get another one eventually.  icon_biggrin
CeeKay
Gaming Trend Staff

View Profile
« Reply #33 on: February 01, 2007, 06:14:37 PM »

Quote from: Octavious230 on February 01, 2007, 06:03:25 PM

Looks like I'll probably have to get another one eventually.  icon_biggrin

converting to Mormonism?  icon_wink

Because I can,
Octavious230

View Profile
« Reply #34 on: February 01, 2007, 07:30:50 PM »

Quote from: CeeKay on February 01, 2007, 06:14:37 PM

Looks like I'll probably have to get another one eventually.  icon_biggrin

converting to Mormonism?  icon_wink

Took me a minute to get that. I'm slow today.  icon_biggrin
depward

View Profile
« Reply #35 on: February 01, 2007, 08:09:41 PM »

Found one last night after an epic journey around the area. 15 stores and I finally found one in the Walmart by my house. If it was the weekend it would have been the first store I would have looked.  mad Got Animal Crossing with it last night and I'm loving it. My wife stole it from me pretty quickly though. Looks like I'll probably have to get another one eventually.  icon_biggrin
Got my girlfriendly her DS and a copy of Animal Crossing as well - she's in love (... with Animal Crossing, that is).

It's pretty nifty visiting her town and playing together - would definitely recommend picking another one up!

semiconscious

View Profile
« Reply #36 on: February 01, 2007, 09:50:11 PM »

Quote from: depward on February 01, 2007, 08:09:41 PM

Got my girlfriendly her DS and a copy of Animal Crossing as well - she's in love (... with Animal Crossing, that is).

It's pretty nifty visiting her town and playing together - would definitely recommend picking another one up!

animal crossing: wild world - the game for lovers (of all ages)...

"... i'm not against some 'monkey catching'... but i'd rather be collecting pants..."
- snake, 'snake vs monkey' (mgs3:se)
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: