http://gamingtrend.com
December 18, 2014, 03:43:07 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Why am I such a masochistic gamer, (or "Please sir, may I have another?")  (Read 1560 times)
Boudreaux
Gaming Trend Senior Member

View Profile
« on: January 08, 2009, 05:05:09 PM »

I am speaking, currently, of Call of Duty (both 4 and 5) and NHL 09.  Playing all of these on the 360 these days.  Love to play them for hours on end.  SUCK HORRIBLY AT THEM.  Seriously, why do I keep subjecting myself to this abuse? 

Let's start with Call of Duty.  Started playing CoD4 on the PC when it came out, then switched to 360 when I finally got the console.  I was always middle of the pack - never one of the 25-3 guys, but I got to where I wasn't always one of the 3-25 guys, either.  In CoD5 I'm about the same - mostly I get 6-8 kills, along with 6-8 deaths.  Anything above 10 kills is just stellar for me, and exceedingly rare.  On any given night I'll almost always have a dismal match where I get 2 kills and die 15 times.  Oftentimes I'll have several of these in a row.  And yet I don't stop playing.  Is it the "just one more match" thing?  The fact that they're short?  Is it getting in on the "fun of playing with GTers" aspect?  I have no idea.  I'm quite certain that I'm not going to get any better than I am now, because I have no idea what it is I'm doing or not doing that keeps me at my level.  And yet I don't stop playing.

NHL 09 is getting to be the same way.  Playing in game, I can take the difficulty level down to a point where I can at least score, and have a decently fun time of it, but any online games with friends I get destroyed in.  I can't figure out the puck control and deke system for the life of me.  I see videos online of the deke possibilities but I have literally no clue how any of that is actually done with the controller, the manual is worthless, and I'm not finding any game guides that break it down.  So in the end, I keep happily skating to my doom over and over.

At least I can always take a break and go 5-star Green Grass & High Tides in Rock Band.

XBox Live:  JNacht
kronovan

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: January 08, 2009, 05:20:55 PM »

IF it's your NHL09 online or offline BAP career player, you probably won't be very good at dekeing until you're able to put some XP points into it that skill. You can also pratice it by accessing training for your offline BAP career.
I'm not much of an online player myself of either of those games, and instead get my mplay in with offline PvP, splitscreen co-op and the odd system-link match.
« Last Edit: January 08, 2009, 05:23:08 PM by kronovan » Logged
mytocles

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 08, 2009, 05:49:47 PM »

I've had the same problem, but in games where you form clans - Ratchet & Clank Deadlocked, and Final Fantasy XI.  I quickly discovered that I can become skilled in a few things that are helpful to the clan, and, apparently, I'm likable and helpful enough for other members to still want me around.  I know I stink at certain things, they know it too (lost, much?), but I can usually cultivate a few helpfull skills and the others take up the slack. 

In R&C Deadlocked, I became the missile expert and was the one left to protect the base.  I could take pride in that skill, so it didn't bother me so much to know I basically suck at online games.  I'm definitely better at single player games, or SP with AI teammates - I can't feel the disappointment from them when I'm the reason we couldn't find something or defeat something, lol.  And they can't quit if they don't like it!   icon_twisted

Mytocles (MY-toe-cleez)

"Of all the things I've lost, I miss my mind the most!"
- I don't remember who said it, and probably neither do they...
Huw the Poo

Please feed dog

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 08, 2009, 06:00:34 PM »

The thing is, are you having fun?  When Frontlines: Fuel of War came out for PC I snapped it up and quickly got online, almost ignoring the single player altogether - very unusual for me.  I got to about the same level as you have with CoD.  I'm completely average.  I play one map almost exclusively, know every nook and cranny, and still only manage about two kills to every death.  Hardly ever am I in the top five of my team.  But I carry on because it's simply fun.  I couldn't care less that I will never be the top player in any match as long as I enjoy playing, which I do.

From your description of CoD, it sounds like you're probably enjoying it too.  So what's the big deal?  Some people are just better at certain games than others.  I'd probably be better than average if I ever had the patience to play someone online at a strategy game, but I will never be better than average at a shooter.  I accept that and just have a blast.

Resident anti-Steam troll
Steam profile
Isgrimnur

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 08, 2009, 06:07:56 PM »

Compare your K/D to mine.  You'll feel better.

Hadron Smasher on 360; IsgrimnurTTU on PS3
Boudreaux

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 08, 2009, 06:17:28 PM »

Quote from: Huw the Poo on January 08, 2009, 06:00:34 PM

The thing is, are you having fun? 

Well, of course that's the trick.  For the most part, I would say yes, and obviously that's why I keep playing.  In CoD for example, there are an awful lot of times where I do horribly, and honestly ask myself why the $#%! I keep playing this game.  I'm talking serious, take-the-disc-out-and-snap-it-in-two frustration.  Apparently there are just enough matches where I do well and get that rush of success to keep me coming back. 

I posed the question to myself because of all the games I own, CoD4/5 and NHL 09 are the two in particular that I can find myself playing over and over for hours on end, and yet they're the two I'm probably the worst at.  I'm far better at SP games like Gears of War 2 or Fallout 3, and yet I need a break from those after an hour or so of playing.  But for some reason I'm willing to get my head blown off by Hark & Co. all night long.  I just think that's weird.

Quote from: kronovan on January 08, 2009, 05:20:55 PM

IF it's your NHL09 online or offline BAP career player, you probably won't be very good at dekeing until you're able to put some XP points into it that skill. You can also pratice it by accessing training for your offline BAP career.

That's where it started, but even if I go into the regular practice mode with stock NHL players I still can't do any sort of deking with the puck.  But that's probably a whole other topic I could get into with other NHL09 players.
« Last Edit: January 08, 2009, 06:21:24 PM by Boudreaux » Logged

Big Jake

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: January 08, 2009, 06:29:49 PM »

Quote from: Boudreaux on January 08, 2009, 06:17:28 PM

Quote from: Huw the Poo on January 08, 2009, 06:00:34 PM

The thing is, are you having fun? 

Well, of course that's the trick.  For the most part, I would say yes, and obviously that's why I keep playing.  In CoD for example, there are an awful lot of times where I do horribly, and honestly ask myself why the $#%! I keep playing this game.  I'm talking serious, take-the-disc-out-and-snap-it-in-two frustration. 

See, I have those times moments too, and that's when I kick the bitching & swearing into high gear.  smile  Part of me survives matches with a 4-16 ratio against a bunch of camping bitches!(deep breath...deep breath icon_biggrin) by knowing that, soon, I'm sure a set of players even worse than me will appear, and I will have a fun game.

The price of great bacon is eternal vigilance.
Teggy

Eat lightsaber, jerks!

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: January 08, 2009, 06:31:25 PM »

With CoD it's totally the level-up system for me. If I think I can level up by playing another 1 or 2 matches I will usually do it, even if I decided I should go to bed a half hour earlier. However, once I reached 1st prestige in CoD4 I felt like I had accomplished enough and moved on. I believe I am level 59 in CoD:WaW at the moment and haven't been as obsessive with it, probably because I don't enjoy the tank maps much. The other stupid thing I did for CoD2, 4 and WaW was play on hardened. I got some achievement points, but I think the games were less enjoyable because of it.

"Is there any chance your jolly Garchomp is female?" - Wonderpug
YellowKing

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: January 08, 2009, 06:34:06 PM »

I'm enough of a realist to know that at 34, I'm never going to compete with the reflexes of a 12-year old kid, nor am I going to be able to compete with his amount of free time to devote to gaming. So it doesn't really bother me that there will always be people better than I am. In games like Call of Duty, I just want to reach a level where I'm happy with my effort. I don't know what that point is, but until I reach it I will play rather obsessively until I'm satisfied that I'm about as good as I'm going to get short of quitting my job and devoting my life to the game.

Guitar Hero was much the same way. I could not rest until I could play most songs on Expert. Now sometimes, that drive isn't there. For instance, on Rock Band, I feel no urge to be able to play drums on Expert. I'm content with playing them at whatever level I can play (usually Medium with occasional Hards). I never know from game to game at what point will I feel satisfied, but every game has that point hidden within it somewhere.

Caine

My cocaine

View Profile WWW
« Reply #9 on: January 08, 2009, 07:04:24 PM »

masochistic gamers play cod games on veteran until they finish them.  playing an online game where  you consistently score in the lower 3rd isn't as bad if you still enjoy it.  nobody enjoys cod games on veteran.  they are not fun in any way, just grueling and frustrating all the time.  even the happy moment when you made it past a hard part is lost as soon as you reach the next one (which is usually right after the last one)

Boudreaux

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: January 08, 2009, 07:06:54 PM »

Quote from: YellowKing on January 08, 2009, 06:34:06 PM

I'm enough of a realist to know that at 34, I'm never going to compete with the reflexes of a 12-year old kid, nor am I going to be able to compete with his amount of free time to devote to gaming. So it doesn't really bother me that there will always be people better than I am.

Hehe.  I'm the same age, and have also long since given up the fantasy that I can directly compete with kids half my age at these games.  But when they effortlessly kill me over and over again I still want to smash my fist down their throat and rip out their uvula. 

Quote from: Caine on January 08, 2009, 07:04:24 PM

masochistic gamers play cod games on veteran until they finish them.  playing an online game where  you consistently score in the lower 3rd isn't as bad if you still enjoy it.  nobody enjoys cod games on veteran.  they are not fun in any way, just grueling and frustrating all the time.  even the happy moment when you made it past a hard part is lost as soon as you reach the next one (which is usually right after the last one)

Yeah, I have completed exactly three (I think) of the veteran missions between CoD 4 and 5.  Screw that.

Incidentally, I have a friend who has 980/1000 achievement points on CoD4.  The only mission he hasn't completed yet is Mile High Club on Veteran.  I have no idea how he managed to do that, other than night after frustrating night of grinding through.
« Last Edit: January 08, 2009, 07:09:04 PM by Boudreaux » Logged

pr0ner

Go Flames go!

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: January 08, 2009, 07:32:27 PM »

WalkingFumble has 1000/1000 on COD4, and 985/1000 on COD5.  Tongue

XBox Live Gamertag: Pr0ner
WalkingFumble

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: January 08, 2009, 07:40:42 PM »

Quote from: pr0ner on January 08, 2009, 07:32:27 PM

I beat COD3 on veteran too.  Didn't get 1000/1000 because of the online achievements would have taken months of grinding. 

I'll have the 1000 in COD5 soon enough.

icon_biggrin

XBL: I3L00DFUMBLE  -  132,578     |     PSN: WalkingFumble     |     Nintendo Revolution:  1440 9434 2198 4442
Boudreaux

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: January 08, 2009, 07:46:45 PM »

Quote from: pr0ner on January 08, 2009, 07:32:27 PM

That's amazing.  I salute you.

raydude

SPICE! Nomnomnomnom

View Profile
« Reply #14 on: January 08, 2009, 08:15:08 PM »

I know this in the console section, but I have the same experience re: FPS games and not being at the top. Lately its been with Left 4 Dead and sometimes I find myself at the bottom of the "most kills" list at the safe house summary screens.

Still, I take comfort in the fact that I'm contributing to the team's success. I find myself being more conservative with my bullets, even when the zombies swarm, but not because I'm concerned about ammo count. Its because I don't want to be reloading at the same time my teammates are. So I'll hold back while they go through an entire clip so that I can then hose through my clip while the rest are reloading. I know it doesn't reflect it in the stats but I like to think that the team would be faring worse if I weren't there and the AI was.

And that's my feeling in most FPS games anyway. I know how I did, and how I contributed, and how I kept the top shooter from dying so he could win the game for our side. It may not be reflected in the stats, but I know what I've done and that's good enough for me.

A Pew Research Center poll found nearly half of Americans hold the false belief that TARP was passed under President Obama, while only 34 percent know it originated under Bush.
"Oh yeah?" Bush replied. "50% of the people were wrong."
leo8877

View Profile
« Reply #15 on: January 08, 2009, 08:23:56 PM »

I played COD4 forever and had a good time trying to keep up with the jones', but I am so bad at COD5 that it quickly became not enjoyable for me.  Currently I am hating PoP but still pushing through and trying to finish it.  I recently pushed through Resistance 2, which was terrible.  I feel your pain!
BEEFHAMMA
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #16 on: January 08, 2009, 10:54:41 PM »

Quote from: Boudreaux on January 08, 2009, 05:05:09 PM

I am speaking, currently, of Call of Duty (both 4 and 5) and NHL 09.  Playing all of these on the 360 these days.  Love to play them for hours on end.  SUCK HORRIBLY AT THEM.  Seriously, why do I keep subjecting myself to this abuse? 

Let's start with Call of Duty.  Started playing CoD4 on the PC when it came out, then switched to 360 when I finally got the console.  I was always middle of the pack - never one of the 25-3 guys, but I got to where I wasn't always one of the 3-25 guys, either.  In CoD5 I'm about the same - mostly I get 6-8 kills, along with 6-8 deaths.  Anything above 10 kills is just stellar for me, and exceedingly rare.  On any given night I'll almost always have a dismal match where I get 2 kills and die 15 times.  Oftentimes I'll have several of these in a row.  And yet I don't stop playing.  Is it the "just one more match" thing?  The fact that they're short?  Is it getting in on the "fun of playing with GTers" aspect?  I have no idea.  I'm quite certain that I'm not going to get any better than I am now, because I have no idea what it is I'm doing or not doing that keeps me at my level.  And yet I don't stop playing.

NHL 09 is getting to be the same way.  Playing in game, I can take the difficulty level down to a point where I can at least score, and have a decently fun time of it, but any online games with friends I get destroyed in.  I can't figure out the puck control and deke system for the life of me.  I see videos online of the deke possibilities but I have literally no clue how any of that is actually done with the controller, the manual is worthless, and I'm not finding any game guides that break it down.  So in the end, I keep happily skating to my doom over and over.

At least I can always take a break and go 5-star Green Grass & High Tides in Rock Band.

i had this EXACT conversation earlier today...about the same two games...weird. What's your gamertag? maybe we can commiserate over a game of NHL 09 smile
Isgrimnur

View Profile
« Reply #17 on: January 08, 2009, 10:58:58 PM »

JNacht, usually with the clan tag of [Boud].  He's currently flagellating himself with another round of NHL 09.

Hadron Smasher on 360; IsgrimnurTTU on PS3
Boudreaux

View Profile
« Reply #18 on: January 09, 2009, 12:38:33 AM »

Yep that's me, and I just racked in another two losses in my BAP game!  Woohoo!  No goals, not even an assist!  Another stellar performance!

<screams, kicks wall>

mytocles

View Profile
« Reply #19 on: January 09, 2009, 08:10:25 PM »

I wish I knew how to make something like the Red vs. Blue vids, because I would do one about a 4-player offline Halo game that I was in.  We had company, and almost all of our friends who ever visit are gamers.  Four of us were playing Halo split-screen MP;  two of us were really good, and the third was about as good as I was (at the time, not terrible, but pretty far from good).  Here's the story - use your imagination to make it a good Red vs. Blue segment, please.

At one point, player #3 and I both stepped out from behind opposite sides of a Warthog, taken totally by surprise by the other's presence (neither of us had learned good radar skills yet).  So here's a Warthog, here's me shifting sideways to the right, on one side of it, until I pop out in the clear at the front right "fender" of the 'Hog.  Player 3 does the exact same, on the opposite side of the vehicle, and freezes when he sees me.  I didn't freeze - yay, me - because I totally over-reacted by jumping back to the left, behind cover.  I then over-reacted to go back out in the clear to look for #3... yeah, I panic when surprised in games.  Well, #3 did the same, and we went back and forth about 5 times, never coming out in front of each othe again.  We finally gave up when we realized we couldn't possibly go on, we were laughing so hard. Even the two hard-core experts called a brief truce to watch the demonstration of our extreme skillz.   Roll Eyes

Mytocles (MY-toe-cleez)

Huw the Poo

Please feed dog

View Profile
« Reply #20 on: January 09, 2009, 08:39:27 PM »

If it's any consolation, Myto, I got a good laugh out of reading that! smile

Edited to add:

Quote from: raydude on January 08, 2009, 08:15:08 PM

I know how I did, and how I contributed, and how I kept the top shooter from dying so he could win the game for our side. It may not be reflected in the stats, but I know what I've done and that's good enough for me.

...I'm right with you on this.  I'm not particularly good at Frontline, as I said earlier, but some of my more memorable moments were playing defense as a lone wolf.  I remember especially one time when after taking a control point, I hung around it by myself and fended off about half a dozen waves of attack.  I wasn't even in a good vantage spot, I was on the ground, in the open, and somehow managed to keep it together long enough to kill every single enemy who came to reclaim the point.  By the time my team had secured the final point and won the match I was down to my pistol and knife and my heart was pumping.  It was an amazing battle.
« Last Edit: January 09, 2009, 08:42:35 PM by Huw the Poo » Logged

Resident anti-Steam troll
Steam profile
mytocles

View Profile
« Reply #21 on: January 10, 2009, 02:22:38 PM »

Quote from: Huw the Poo on January 09, 2009, 08:39:27 PM

If it's any consolation, Myto, I got a good laugh out of reading that! smile

Ha ha, thanks Huw, it was definitely one of those moments where you either had to be there to get it, or have an excellent imagination - but I still laugh every time I think of it.   icon_biggrin

It's funny how moments in video games can be so memorable that it's almost like knowing where you were when a big news event occurred.  I still remember that day, exactly where we were seated, why we had company that evening, and the general mood of hysteria when we did our Jumping Bean act. And "Yes, please, can I have another?"  icon_razz

Mytocles (MY-toe-cleez)

Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: